Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR sued for plagiarism
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR sued for plagiarism  (Read 56837 times)
mesaboogie
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2009, 06:23:39 AM »

I think this situation has been designed by the music writer and GNR management for joint publicity.

The timing is great for GNR on the brink of a world tour. Will be settled out of court and each will go about there business.

No harm done to GNR at all in this...doesnt exactly change that song itself...if it wasnt there at the start of the tune would anyone seriously care

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:28:22 AM by mesaboogie » Logged
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2009, 07:31:56 AM »

Why would the band use this kind of promotion? I mean, they still didnt made any kind of regular promotion that would have a far better reaction...

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2009, 07:45:21 AM »

Why would the band use this kind of promotion? I mean, they still didnt made any kind of regular promotion that would have a far better reaction...
Its not promotion. When they use terms like "disappointing sales", it only makes the album seem weak.

html sucks
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2009, 08:29:59 AM »

I think this situation has been designed by the music writer and GNR management for joint publicity.

Should've expected at least one person to come up with conspiracy theories...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mesaboogie
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »

This type of publicity as opposed to promotion is being used in the entertainment business all the time. The idea is simply to bring your name into the spotlight..this is seen as of more benefit to ticket/albums sale than doing nothing at all...which agree has been the format to date by GNR mgt. Maybe this is the first move into promoting the name GNR, tour and album. I really dont see anything negative in this for GNR.

The guy talking about "dissapointing sale"..GNR management never said that, where are you quoting that from. Im just talking about GNR Management and theyre statement.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2009, 08:35:13 AM »

So you're saying the German artist's record labels were contacted so they could sue GN'R and their record company?

"Hey! Could you sue us? It's a brilliant way for us to get some publicity!"

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
axljungle
Rocker

« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2009, 09:07:34 AM »

It's only a sound, in electronic music, lot of samplers are repeated in a lot of songs, and there aren't plagiarism.

Sorry for my english  Cry

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »

Can you copyright a synth sound? They both could have used the same software/synthesizer and it could have been a pre loaded sample?

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2009, 11:02:56 AM »

Its not promotion. When they use terms like "disappointing sales", it only makes the album seem weak.
That's why I used "this kind of promotion" and then "far better reaction".

suicide
VIP

« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2009, 11:03:49 AM »

Maybe this is the first move into promoting the name GNR, tour and album. I really dont see anything negative in this for GNR.
You forgot the Dr. Pepper lawsuit  hihi

Nah, don't think so. Plagiarism is a very serious accusation for an artist.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:07 AM »

The German artist was famous before this?

I believe in these strategies...

in a couple of hours left hundreds of articles talking about the plagiarism of GUNS N 'ROSES, countries like Chile, Peru, Argentina, Mexico, Hispanic-speaking countries had not mentioned the Asian tour

I want to believe, that this is only for Chine.Dem Advertising, GNR & WORLD TOUR 2009-2010.

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
mesaboogie
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »

So you're saying the German artist's record labels were contacted so they could sue GN'R and their record company?

/jarmo

I like that candid style there Jarmo...your doing a fox news on me! he must be a moron...conspirancy nut job hihi

Ok I accept that it is a shot in the dark, who knows the truth but all I can say is that in my view this does both GNR and german bloke no harm...and gets the name out there and people listening to the artists...
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »

I would say this does indeed harm the band. Most people won't bother to actually read the whole story. So they won't know what's supposedly being copied. They won't bother reading that the sound in question is some random computer generated noise. They'll read the headlines "Gn'R being sued for Plagiarism", and immediatley just think it's true....Axl stole music from another artist.

Sure, we know Axl didn't steal music from anyone, but you all know what most people are going to think, they'll place the blame on Axl. Like they always do.

So yeah, there IS such a thing as bad publicity. This is one of those cases. The band doesn't want this, and whoever suggested that this is some sort of deliberate set up, is obviously on some very pure crack.

Axl is God.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2009, 03:02:09 PM »

I think some people are overstating how BAD this is for the band.  Now maybe I give people too much credit, but whenever one of these plagiarism cases pops up I'm interested to actually HEAR how close/important it is.  I hate Coldplay, but I at least checked out the Satriani song before making my decision.  I would hope others would do the same.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2009, 03:07:31 PM »

I would say this does indeed harm the band. Most people won't bother to actually read the whole story. So they won't know what's supposedly being copied. They won't bother reading that the sound in question is some random computer generated noise. They'll read the headlines "Gn'R being sued for Plagiarism", and immediatley just think it's true....Axl stole music from another artist.

Sure, we know Axl didn't steal music from anyone, but you all know what most people are going to think, they'll place the blame on Axl. Like they always do.

So yeah, there IS such a thing as bad publicity. This is one of those cases. The band doesn't want this, and whoever suggested that this is some sort of deliberate set up, is obviously on some very pure crack.

Tickets are being sold in Asia ... Your calm ...

smoking

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »

I think some people are overstating how BAD this is for the band.  Now maybe I give people too much credit, but whenever one of these plagiarism cases pops up I'm interested to actually HEAR how close/important it is.  I hate Coldplay, but I at least checked out the Satriani song before making my decision.  I would hope others would do the same.

You're right. People SHOULD listen before they make their descision. But most won't. Now, I'm not saying this is HORRIBLE for the band. They've seen a hell of a lot worse, haha, I'm just saying that this is in no way GOOD for the band.

Axl is God.
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »

This is not good for the band.

Sometimes there's no "at-any-cost-promotion". This isn't promotion, this is something that is not the best thing that could happen to the band.

Luckily, is not music, is not lyrics, it's just a tiny intro of a song. Sincerely I don't care, "Riad N' The Bedouins" is a great song with the intro or without it.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »

Guns N' Roses 'Vigorously Contests' Lawsuit

Guns N' Roses manager Irving Azoff has said the band "vigorously contests" claims that it used portions of two songs by a German musician on their last album "Chinese Democracy."

Guns N' Roses and Interscope-Geffen A&M were sued by British label Independiente and the U.S. arm of Domino Recording Company, who own the licensing rights to songs by German electronic musician Ulrich Schnauss.

According to the lawsuit filed Friday (Oct. 2), which is seeking $1 million in damages, Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses band members and album producers copied portions of two of Schnauss' songs -- "Wherever You Are" and "A Strangely Isolated Place" - for the track "Riad N' the Bedouins."

Azoff has said the band "vigorously contests these claims and intends to respond accordingly," in a statement.

The rest of the statement reads: "The band believed when the record came out and still believes that there are no unauthorized samples on the track. The snippets of 'ambient noise' in question were provided by a member of the album's production team who has assured us that these few seconds of sound were obtained legitimately. Artists these days can't read the minds of those they collaborate with and therefore are unfortunately vulnerable to claims like this one. While the band resents the implication that they would ever use another artist's work improperly and are assessing possible counterclaims, they are confident this situation will be satisfactorily resolved."

"Chinese Democracy," the band's first new album of original material in 17 years, was released last November.

Besides Rose, who is the only original member in the band, the other current and former band members named in the suit include guitarist Brian "Buckethead" Carroll, bassist Tommy Stinson, and Robin Finck, who currently plays lead guitar with rock act Nine Inch Nails.

Interscope-Geffen A&M has not made any comment

http://www.billboard.com/news/guns-n-roses-vigorously-contests-lawsuit-1004019187.story#/news/guns-n-roses-vigorously-contests-lawsuit-1004019187.story

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2009, 04:11:29 PM »

that's a bad ass fucking picture!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2009, 04:12:23 PM »

/jarmo

hihi  Yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: