Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:16:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR sued for plagiarism
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR sued for plagiarism  (Read 56834 times)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »

If GNR have sampled this guys copyrighted music without permission they are breaking the law and the guy who made the recordings should be compensated, either finaincially and/or given a credit on future presses of CD.

Its not about who's music sucks or who the bigger artist is etc.  Thats why music is copyrighted, too stop things like this happening.  Just because its happening to our fave band doesn't make an exception to the law.

but 1 mil for some secs of ambient noise in an intro?

it's clear that the band didn't/don't know it's copyrighted.

if it was, i think they could have contacted the band earlier rather than making the news.  
it's not like it was just released.

Yeah, $1 million for damages is outrageous.
really? I really think GNR have dragged ulrich's name in the dirt and for him to be connected with that devilish band in any way is a disgrace to his art!
also, he have lost a million bucks to say the least because everybody have bought CD to hear those magnificent sounds instead of his masterpiece of a record  rant

he has every right to the million dollars
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2009, 06:19:27 PM »

If GNR have sampled this guys copyrighted music without permission they are breaking the law and the guy who made the recordings should be compensated, either finaincially and/or given a credit on future presses of CD.

Its not about who's music sucks or who the bigger artist is etc.  Thats why music is copyrighted, too stop things like this happening.  Just because its happening to our fave band doesn't make an exception to the law.

but 1 mil for some secs of ambient noise in an intro?

it's clear that the band didn't/don't know it's copyrighted.

if it was, i think they could have contacted the band earlier rather than making the news.  
it's not like it was just released.

Yeah, $1 million for damages is outrageous.
really? I really think GNR have dragged ulrich's name in the dirt and for him to be connected with that devilish band in any way is a disgrace to his art!
also, he have lost a million bucks to say the least because everybody have bought CD to hear those magnificent sounds instead of his masterpiece of a record  rant

he has every right to the million dollars

Probably how he actually views it

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
cineater
Legend

« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2009, 06:22:48 PM »

Irv's on it and the lawyers, good statement.  Doesn't stand in the way of anything GNR has going on now.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
samoice
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKt3Jo8DYzQ&feature=related

Some of it also sounds like the start of silkworms im sure..
but surely yhtere just nromal sinth sounds???

I was there!!

Reading 2010
The O2 Arena October 13th 2010
The O2 Arena May 31st 2012 - OMG IT WAS AMAZING X10000000 Smiley
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2009, 08:27:36 PM »

Smells like bullshit. I remember Rhiad during the new year's show in Vegas 2001 and it sounded the same. I think this guy is just out to make a name for himself by dragging GNR's through the dirt.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2009, 10:12:51 PM »

Smells like bullshit. I remember Rhiad during the new year's show in Vegas 2001 and it sounded the same. I think this guy is just out to make a name for himself by dragging GNR's through the dirt.

are you sure? The band played Riad at 01/01/01 without that intro, and all 2002 also without it. Unfortunately, there's no audio from vegas new year's eve.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »

dude.. irving azoff is accepting that they sampled the song
The snippets of 'ambient noise' in question were provided by a member of the album's production team who has assured us that these few seconds of sound were obtained legitimately
He also said:

"The band believed when the record came out and still believes that there are no unauthorized samples]/b] on the track"

I once worked as a video editor. We had plenty of song and video librarys to use back then - it was copyrighted, but we payed to use it. It's like stock photos... Maybe that's what happened, they both used the same snippets of sounds (the vocally intro and the keyboard chord progression).

Still, in order to claim plagiarism, it should have to follow a pattern, I guess. I mean, like three or more bars sounding the same...

That is what I was thinking.  The music on 75% of movie trailers are all the same and are part of a royalty free library.  It is the same reason you have the same beat track on every single rap song.   

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:58:43 PM by thesloth » Logged
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2009, 11:33:12 PM »

The plagiarism lawsuit against Guns N' Roses

Guns N' Roses' attempted comeback has hit a snag, said Tom Breihan in Pitchfork. A German "electronic shoegaze" artist?Ulrich Schnauss?is suing for $1 million, saying that Guns N' Roses "samples unlicensed chunks" of his music (listen here and here) on a track from the band's Chinese Democracy album. And "if you listen to all three songs, it's a pretty tough claim to dispute."

Schnauss and his record labels, Domino and Independiente, "are going to have their work cut out for them in proving their case," said Daniel Kreps in Rolling Stone. The Guns N' Roses song in question, Riad N' the Bedouins (listen), "shares no resemblance to Schnauss' body of work." On top of that, "half the stuff on Chinese Democracy has existed for the better part of the last decade, while the two Schnauss songs came out in 2001 and 2003, so it'd be practically impossible to determine" who was first.

Who cares? said Peter Kafka in All Things Digital. Musicians accuse each other of stealing all the time. But this lawsuit is more than a little ironic: Guns N' Roses "made a point of stringing up people who pirated its last album." Schnauss should have gone after GNR "last fall, when there was a biggish to-do about the album," and when the band was "siccing the federal government on bloggers" for posting unathorized samples from the album.

http://www.theweek.com/article/index/101254/The_plagiarism_lawsuit_against_Guns_N_Roses

Axl accused of stealing songs

GUNS N' ROSES frontman AXL ROSE is being dragged to court over his band's flop comeback album.

Record companies Independiente and Domino have filed a lawsuit against GNR and the rockers' label Universal Music Group claiming a track off Chinese Democracy copies portions of two songs by German electronic star ULRICH SCHNAUSS.
According to legal papers filed, the labels are seeking $1million in damages after GNR used parts of Ulrich's tunes Wherever You Are and A Strangely Isolated Place without permission on their album track Riad N' The Bedouins.
Both Independiente and Domino own the licensing rights to Schnauss' music.
It's said their case focuses on 45 seconds of ambient soundscapes that form the introduction of Riad N' The Bedouins before it launches into a guitar-led song that bares no resemblance to Schnauss' work.
The impending court battle will do little to improve Rose's mood after Chinese Democracy - which took the erratic singer over a decade to make - was mauled by critics and largely ignored by the record-buying public upon its release last November.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/2670365/Axl-Rose-accused-of-copying-German-stars-songs-on-Chinese-Democracy.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:35:45 PM by HBK » Logged

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »

This really damages GNR's reputation. If this were unfounded, I'd sue that bastard.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Satapher
Wings Of Redemption
VIP

GODS N' ROSES

« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2009, 11:46:40 PM »

This issue is totally stupid... to sue some band just because it copied some "atari" sound that some n00b composed randomly??
This world is full of fags seeking some attention. Hope that GN'R and their management clears this issue ASAP.

1992.11.29 Bogota, COL
2001.12.31 Las Vegas, USA
2002.12.05 New York City, USA
2010.03.30 Bogota, COL
2016.07.27 Atlanta, USA
2016.11.23 Medellin, COL
2022.06.15 Stavanger, NOR
2023.06.21 Oslo,
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2009, 11:47:33 PM »

This really damages GNR's reputation. If this were unfounded, I'd sue that bastard.

Even the most vicious hater can see that this case is built on quicksand.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2009, 12:12:46 AM »

Even the most vicious hater can see that this case is built on quicksand.

u would hope so, but think of those people out there that will just see the headline and then spread that like wildfire.

those misleading headlines suck cause u know in today's culture, if u are accused of something, 50 percent of people already assume u are guilty.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2009, 12:17:06 AM »

Gun?n?Roses Accused of Theft by German Musician: Compare

Over a decade in the making, the already disappointing 2008 Guns?n'Roses disc Chinese Democracy, just got a little worse. It seems that even with this much time to put it all together Guns?n'Roses (AKA Axl Rose and some guys who aren?t Slash) still couldn?t come up with an album on their own, so they stole one.

Ulrich Schnauss, an electronic music artist in Germany, is suing Axl and Co., charging that the band unlawfully used samples of his music on the song ?Riad N? the Bedouins.?

(Below: Compare the Guns?n'Roses track to Schnauss?s tunes)

Yeah, we don?t remember that song either. Chinese Democracy was pretty awful; we?re glad we forgot it. (Apparently, over 3 million people bought it, but we?re not sure why?)

After comparing the songs in question (below), it seems pretty clear that Axl screwed up.

The New York Times reports that Schnauss is seeking at least $1 million in damages. That?s a lot of money, but if we were Schnauss, we probably wouldn?t want to admit that our music was a part of that horrible album, intentionally or not.

Surprisingly, Rolling Stone has taken an interesting stance on the issue stating that since G?n'R worked on the album for over a decade, and Schnauss?s songs have only been out for a few years, it might be difficult to prove who stole from whom. We?re not so sure about that.

Do you think this guy has a real case, or he?s just trying to score a quick buck?

http://www.zimbio.com/Guns+N'+Roses/articles/64SRkGwchQ0/Gun+n+Roses+Accused+Theft+German+Musician

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2009, 12:18:54 AM »

See?

the hatchet jobs are already out and there are loads of people who buy that shit and believe every word they are told.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2009, 12:31:32 AM »

In Chile FULL Promotion Of This NEWS...  Radio, T.V., Newspaper, Internet...

OMG. Only Haters Whitout Information.

rofl

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2009, 01:01:57 AM »

See?

the hatchet jobs are already out and there are loads of people who buy that shit and believe every word they are told.

That always happens, though.  Especially with GN'R/Axl, who already have a heavily negative slant publicly.  You can't control the stupidity of the general public.  Anyone that thinks that Axl is responsible is just being idiotic and looking for an easy scapegoat to take a potshot at.

Ali
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2009, 04:29:57 AM »

All they have to do is see, GNR on the stage, Im sure that RIad will be played in all its glory, in asia, and what people will see will be amazing, its kinda like I would react, oh yeah you think you got me UFCK OFF!, and the stage and show will shut haters up!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2009, 04:45:32 AM »

they could loop those intro sounds for some minutes right before playing the song live  ok

Re-Union time, baby!!
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2009, 05:01:25 AM »

YEs Smiley

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Brundle25
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2009, 06:17:01 AM »

Gun?n?Roses Accused of Theft by German Musician: Compare

Over a decade in the making, the already disappointing 2008 Guns?n'Roses disc Chinese Democracy, just got a little worse. It seems that even with this much time to put it all together Guns?n'Roses (AKA Axl Rose and some guys who aren?t Slash) still couldn?t come up with an album on their own, so they stole one.

Ulrich Schnauss, an electronic music artist in Germany, is suing Axl and Co., charging that the band unlawfully used samples of his music on the song ?Riad N? the Bedouins.?

(Below: Compare the Guns?n'Roses track to Schnauss?s tunes)

Yeah, we don?t remember that song either. Chinese Democracy was pretty awful; we?re glad we forgot it. (Apparently, over 3 million people bought it, but we?re not sure why?)

After comparing the songs in question (below), it seems pretty clear that Axl screwed up.

The New York Times reports that Schnauss is seeking at least $1 million in damages. That?s a lot of money, but if we were Schnauss, we probably wouldn?t want to admit that our music was a part of that horrible album, intentionally or not.

Surprisingly, Rolling Stone has taken an interesting stance on the issue stating that since G?n'R worked on the album for over a decade, and Schnauss?s songs have only been out for a few years, it might be difficult to prove who stole from whom. We?re not so sure about that.

Do you think this guy has a real case, or he?s just trying to score a quick buck?

http://www.zimbio.com/Guns+N'+Roses/articles/64SRkGwchQ0/Gun+n+Roses+Accused+Theft+German+Musician

The fools youtube link of Riad was a live version that bears no resembelence to the album version. This 'Barryst' who wrote that article is a pillock.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: