Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 19, 2024, 03:36:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228088 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR sued for plagiarism
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR sued for plagiarism  (Read 56145 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »

To me, it sounds pretty obviously lifted by GNR. But I'm starting to think not much is going to come of it anyways.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »

wtf they sound nothing NOTHING alike. Just some lame ass attemp for some doucher that no ones ever heard of to get a little bit of free pub...... just like the shit that the offspring tried to pull.

Roll Eyes

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »

wtf they sound nothing NOTHING alike. Just some lame ass attemp for some doucher that no ones ever heard of to get a little bit of free pub...... just like the shit that the offspring tried to pull.

Roll Eyes

Let's be honest. We love Guns N' Roses, we love Chinese Democracy but the intro of Riad sound alike those two songs.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2009, 11:27:02 AM »

Roll Eyes

rofl they are almost identical  hihi
check out your hearing lad ok
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »

this is absoulte bullshit.  axl did not steal any eurotrash crappy shit music.  axl is a musicial genius and a virtuoso.  why would he even dignify this shithead by listening to his crapass music?  not only could axl write this music with one hand tied behind his back, but also there's a simple reason why axl didn't plaigerize... because axl is not a fucking liar.  we've heard from beta and countless others that axl is one of the sweetest and most sensitive and respectable people in the world.  so why would an upstanding guy steal music?  answer... he wouldn't.  it just doesn't make one bit of sense to anyone who knows the first thing about axl.

ulrich shit is just trying to steal money from an honest artist and make a name for himself by riding on axl's amazing and inspiring coattails.  even if he gets some quick money out of this, he will pay for his sins in the afterlife.  people don't get away with acting like that.  it's why concepts like heaven and hell were created.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »

Roll Eyes

The first song I didnt see anything to prove this, but check this one out man, you'll see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn604M1IfDk
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2009, 11:51:21 AM »

Quote from: falungong69
this is absoulte bullshit.  axl did not steal any eurotrash crappy shit music.  axl is a musicial genius and a virtuoso.  why would he even dignify this shithead by listening to his crapass music?  not only could axl write this music with one hand tied behind his back, but also there's a simple reason why axl didn't plaigerize... because axl is not a fucking liar.  we've heard from beta and countless others that axl is one of the sweetest and most sensitive and respectable people in the world.  so why would an upstanding guy steal music?  answer... he wouldn't.  it just doesn't make one bit of sense to anyone who knows the first thing about axl.

ulrich shit is just trying to steal money from an honest artist and make a name for himself by riding on axl's amazing and inspiring coattails.  even if he gets some quick money out of this, he will pay for his sins in the afterlife.  people don't get away with acting like that.  it's why concepts like heaven and hell were created.

Y'know dude... the more you post, the more I hope you're just perpetrating some joke that only you get.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »

Yes, and that's what I meant with having no proof of when it was created.

If your song has been registered and/or released years ago, that's proof of its existence/creation.

I didn't say it has to be released, that was somebody else, because I'm not an expert.

/jarmo

Sorry jarmo, im no expert either.  I just assumed an official release was needed to claim ownership of your work.  Im most likely wrong though  Smiley

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2009, 12:02:24 PM »

Anyone claiming they hear no similarity really needs to have their hearing checked. I love me some GNR and all but I can also call a spade a spade.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »

Lawsuit claims Guns N' Roses copied music

What would a year be without a Guns N' Roses lawsuit?

Sadly, we may never know.

The latest legal issue facing the band comes from two independent record labels claiming Guns N' Roses used portions of two songs by German electronic musician Ulrich Schnauss. The labels are seeking $1 million in damages.

Guns N' Roses and Universal Music Group's Interscope-Geffen A&M label are named in the lawsuit, which was filed by British label
Independiente and the U.S. arm of Domino Recording Company, who own the licensing rights to songs by Schnauss.

The lawsuit, which was filed last Friday, claims that Guns N' Roses used portions of Schnauss' "Wherever You Are" and "A Strangley Isolated Place" on the Chinese Democracy track called "Riad N' the Bedouins."

The claims seem to focus on the first minute of Riad N' the Bedouins, which opens with sounds similar to the Schnauss tracks. However, the song then takes a turn and becomes a guitar-driven track that no longer sounds like Schnauss' songs.

For comparison, here are the songs in question:

Riad N' the Bedouins

http://www.examiner.com/x-23430-Guns-N-Roses-Examiner~y2009m10d6-Lawsuit-claims-Guns-N-Roses-copied-music

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2009, 12:06:53 PM »

Quote from: falungong69

Y'know dude... the more you post, the more I hope you're just perpetrating some joke that only you get.

that's some kind of rare sarcasm, and it seems he is the only one able to understand it

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2009, 12:07:56 PM »

Yes, and that's what I meant with having no proof of when it was created.

If your song has been registered and/or released years ago, that's proof of its existence/creation.

I didn't say it has to be released, that was somebody else, because I'm not an expert.

/jarmo

Sorry jarmo, im no expert either.  I just assumed an official release was needed to claim ownership of your work.  Im most likely wrong though  Smiley

That's what most people think.  I am willing to bet this German artist thought that since CD came out in '08 and his songs came out in '01 and '03, he'd have an open and shut case.  Problem is, as all of us GN'R fans know, "Riad" has existed in some form since 2000, if not earlier than that.  When the intro was put on is the key question.  People saying because that since the demo version we heard didn't have that intro, it's obvious that the intro was lifted aren't necessarily right.  That could be the only demo version of the song that was heard by the public, not the only version that existed.

The mere fact that "Riad" has existed in some form since at least 2000 complicates proving the intro was stolen.  If "Riad" didn't exist until 2006 or so, then it would be an open and shut case.  That's not what we are dealing with.

My guess is that the most logical thing is that some ball was dropped with obtaining sampling permission, either by the band (specifically Chris Pitman and/or Dizzy Reed), or more likely management and/or the legal team for the band and/or the label.

Ali
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2009, 12:11:32 PM »

There is another - admittedly unlikely - possibility.  There are only so many sounds that are able to be made by one instrument - even a synthesiser.  It's not impossible for two programmers using the same equipment to create the same sound completely independently of each other.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »

There is another - admittedly unlikely - possibility.  There are only so many sounds that are able to be made by one instrument - even a synthesiser.  It's not impossible for two programmers using the same equipment to create the same sound completely independently of each other.

Yeah, it's unlikely, but the key point is that we are just talking about a sound effect.  The very beginning of "Riad", the part that sounds identical to the intro of the German artist's song is not a melody, not lyrics, not even a chord progression, but a sound effect.  A sound effect that is briefly used and has zero to do with the real song.

Ali
sandman
Legend

« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2009, 12:33:20 PM »

My guess is that the most logical thing is that some ball was dropped with obtaining sampling permission, either by the band (specifically Chris Pitman and/or Dizzy Reed), or more likely management and/or the legal team for the band and/or the label.

Ali

that's my guess as well.

either that, or these guys are being assholes and playing games with gnr and the label by giving assurances in the past and looking for a loophole now. similar to the Verge and the troubles they ran into with bittersweet symphony.

either way, i'm guessing (and hoping) this is just a very minor issue that can be settled quickly, or ultimately won by gnr in court.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2009, 12:55:17 PM »

I remember Axl said something to the effect that they had to make 1 last change to CD as it was on its way to the factory to get mass produced...

He never said what but I always figured it was Rhiad, cause the leak we had only months prior & the final had a few changes (guitar solo, sound affects, INTRO)... Maybe things were done in a rush, and like somebody said the booklet was a cluster fuck to begin with..
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2009, 01:21:39 PM »

I remember Axl said something to the effect that they had to make 1 last change to CD as it was on its way to the factory to get mass produced...

He never said what but I always figured it was Rhiad, cause the leak we had only months prior & the final had a few changes (guitar solo, sound affects, INTRO)... Maybe things were done in a rush, and like somebody said the booklet was a cluster fuck to begin with..

Agreed.  I always felt like he was probably referring to Riad when he made that last switch.  Hence, all the changes.  Perhaps Pitman threw it together and Axl, not knowing it was a rip, thought it sounded cool which it does if you've never heard that song.  We'll probably never know exactly what went on there.
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2009, 01:26:49 PM »

Isn't there a copywrite law stating that you can sample up to 9sec of another artist?
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2009, 01:37:16 PM »

Ali

that's my guess as well.

either that, or these guys are being assholes and playing games with gnr and the label by giving assurances in the past and looking for a loophole now. similar to the Verge and the troubles they ran into with bittersweet symphony.

either way, i'm guessing (and hoping) this is just a very minor issue that can be settled quickly, or ultimately won by gnr in court.

Well, the Verve were stupid for crediting Jagger/Richards in the first place.  The Stones jumped in and made some big money.  Bittersweet Symphony was the biggest Rolling Stones hit since Start Me Up!

Finally more people are seeing that Pitman is the most likely band member to have FUCKED UP royally.  I mentioned this and I got my post deleted.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »

Ali

that's my guess as well.

Well, the Verve were stupid for crediting Jagger/Richards in the first place.  The Stones jumped in and made some big money.  Bittersweet Symphony was the biggest Rolling Stones hit since Start Me Up!

Finally more people are seeing that Pitman is the most likely band member to have FUCKED UP royally.  I mentioned this and I got my post deleted.
pitman fucked up royally means ulrich get no royalty  smoking
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: