Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:07:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The Lisbon Treaty
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lisbon Treaty  (Read 2124 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« on: October 02, 2009, 08:06:24 AM »

Should have started this thread earlier than today!

I need to vote on the lisbon treaty today and im still undecided on what to vote.

Any idea's and why?

Im Irish and obviously our vote is very important.

Gut instinct tells me No though

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:09:39 AM »

Oh fuck. i just wrote a really long reply to this then clicked something and it fkn went
 Angry
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »

In a nutshell this time!  It's up to you but I really hope you say NO!

I've been reading up on this for a while now and there is too much we dont know.  The politicians have decided that "the people" wont understand the treaty, therefore they wont give us a referendum... The UK has been denied this although it was an electoral promise of Labour.  its an insult to the irish that you are being made to vote again after having said no.  I hear that not one word of teh treaty has changed since your last vote, but assurances have been made for Ireland and some financial assistance is on its way in these hard times...

Do you really want Tony Blair are president of the EU (it will happen very soon if this goes through)?  Do you think its fair or right that such a huge change in laws, government, national identity, has been decided by polticians who have overseen the disastrous economic and financial nightmares we're in currently?  IS it fair or appropriate that so many countries have not held a referendum.? Eu laws have impacted on UK big time and they will certainly do so more if this goes through. 
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:25:16 AM »

It might be that EU is a good thing ultimately but until we have more openness on what is coming, what has been planned, how much it will cost us - why should we be railroaded into this?  I think alliances with countries within the EU is right and there is much we can learn and certainly for trade its important, but is this the right, democratic way to do this?

EU accounts have not been signed off for 13 years - the Brussels gravy-train is moving along just fine.  The amount of money that MEP politicians make and the lack of accountability they have is staggering.  And we cant vote them out once this goes through - if it does.

This treaty could take far more than it could give - do you know enough about it to say yes? (thats not personally regarding your intelligence - more of broad statement!).  Why is Ireland being told it would be disastrous if you say no?   of course I could be wrong and it could be a good decision, however I dont trust anyone in our government (Uk) to make good decisions for our country anymore - so cant help but think it needs more time, discussion and democracy!

What is the mood on the streets where you are?

2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 06:31:57 AM »

when looking for guidance on who to vote for in any given referendum or election i always look to a pop star, and this week it comes from jim corr....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCPicGUQv4M
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:24:50 AM »

Babydolls, i ended up voting no.  but unfortunately.......  it seems the irish people were scared into making the YES vote.  The Government put a lot of money into making people believe that we needed to vote yes for recovery.  Also rumours came out that we'd be booted out of europe if the "right" decision was not made.   So all in all, i think people got scared and voted yes.  Although even if we voted NO, it probably would have went to another referendum, like with the nice treaty. 

Im sorry you guys weren't given a referendum.  Since this yes vote, we probably wont get one next time.

The same treaty was put forward to ireland again with one or two "guarantees" for the irish. 

Our government really suck though.  The Irish Taoiseach (prime minister) gets paid more a year than Barack Obama!!!!!!!!

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 06:40:36 PM »

Ah! The scare tactic!

They used it here when Sweden voted "NO" on the Euro.

Now people complain that food prices go up because we have to import a lot of stuff (things don't grow in the winter) and these things come from Euro countries. Since the Euro has strengthened compared to our currency, we need to pay more for each Euro...

So, anyway. At least the good old Swedes have their own currency. Yay!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:46:24 AM »

Ah! The scare tactic!

The scare tactic worked like a charm over here.  Once people started losing their jobs that was that.  Suddenly people wanted lisbon.
I must note though, this treaty was not explained in any detail to the people. The campaign was full of lies

babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

That's the thing, its not explained at all, just seemed to be scare tactics and pressure and of course some nice cash and pretty verbal assurances from Europe to ease the decision..bah.  Unimpressed with the way this lot operate and  wonder what the fk is going to happen and how bloody quickly.
am not looking forward to smug bastard blair oozing around the presidency with cheshire cherie by his side, fkn nauseating. 

I guess its down to the Czechs now.

nice one for voting no anyway jacdaniel, at least you bothered to vote.  you know in Australia you get fined if you don't vote.  In the UK at the last general election in 2005, only 60% of UK voted, and Labour won only 35 percent of the votes cast, or only 22 percent of the total eligible electorate of the United Kingdom.  That's encouraging isnt it  no

we're fucked.  time to  smoking if you got em!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 07:20:28 AM »

nice one for voting no anyway jacdaniel, at least you bothered to vote.  you know in Australia you get fined if you don't vote.

No problem Smiley

The fining sounds like a good plan!!!

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 01:05:52 PM »

nice one for voting no anyway jacdaniel, at least you bothered to vote.  you know in Australia you get fined if you don't vote.

No problem Smiley

The fining sounds like a good plan!!!

Sounds like Nazi Germany to me!

United States of Europe coming up. Bye, bye freedom, but at least we'll get cheap food!

"Don't be like that. It's for your own good. Trust your masters."

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: