Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:33:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The 2009/2010 NBA Season Thread
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 2009/2010 NBA Season Thread  (Read 88781 times)
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2010, 04:00:22 AM »

We're deep into the playoffs and nobody's talking about NBA? Come on.

I love how everyone on radio and TV yesterday kept saying how Lebron was going to be amazing against the Celtics, that he was going to come out in the first quarter and put the game away from the very beginning, "because that's what great players do." And then Lebron goes like 3-14 and his team loses by 30+ points on their own home court. I don't deny that Lebron is the most talented player in the world, the most gifted, but it annoys the hell out of me when people start comparing him Michael Jordan and some of the greatest players in the game.

Of course, everyone can point to his elbow for his shortcomings this postseason. He misses a shot, he has to touch the elbow and grimace; shoot a free throw with his left hand; complain after the game about how much it's bothering him; get 18 MRIs to help get the point across. Funny thing is, Kobe has two broken fingers on his shooting hand that have now become arthritic, he's got back and ankle issues, bad knees . . . But yet you'd never know it. He's still getting the job done. Kobe would have taken over that game last night and refused to allow his team to lose. Lebron seems to lack that in his DNA. He crumbles under pressure instead of rising to the challenge, and that's why he has no business being mentioned in the same stratosphere as guys like Jordan and Kobe and Magic and all the true greats.

Here Today . . .
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2010, 04:58:44 AM »

I love how everyone on radio and TV yesterday kept saying how Lebron was going to be amazing against the Celtics, that he was going to come out in the first quarter and put the game away from the very beginning, "because that's what great players do." And then Lebron goes like 3-14 and his team loses by 30+ points on their own home court. I don't deny that Lebron is the most talented player in the world, the most gifted, but it annoys the hell out of me when people start comparing him Michael Jordan and some of the greatest players in the game.

Of course, everyone can point to his elbow for his shortcomings this postseason. He misses a shot, he has to touch the elbow and grimace; shoot a free throw with his left hand; complain after the game about how much it's bothering him; get 18 MRIs to help get the point across. Funny thing is, Kobe has two broken fingers on his shooting hand that have now become arthritic, he's got back and ankle issues, bad knees . . . But yet you'd never know it. He's still getting the job done. Kobe would have taken over that game last night and refused to allow his team to lose. Lebron seems to lack that in his DNA. He crumbles under pressure instead of rising to the challenge, and that's why he has no business being mentioned in the same stratosphere as guys like Jordan and Kobe and Magic and all the true greats.

+1  beer
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »

I've stayed out of this thread for the most part because I just couldn't figure out the Celtics while they struggled through the regular season.  Some people kept saying they would just flip the switch when it came to the playoffs, and I bought it for a bit but down the stretch it just didn't seem likely.  But I think they've done it.  Regardless of what happens from here on out, they've played better for these 10 games then I can remember any 10 game stretch in the regular season.  Then again, they've had 2 very good matchups for them so far.  Miami was Dwayne Wade and little else.  Cleveland is Lebron with a little better supporting cast but they're proving once again that they're not nearly as good as their regular season record indicates. 

As for Lebron, I'm not buying the injury talk at all, if that's even going on anymore.  In his defense, he hasn't used that as an excuse in this series once the ball was tipped.  And it was obvious with his explosion in game 3 that he still had the potential to go off.  I would expect him to have a similar mindset for game 6, although I would've expected the same for game 5 at home.  But, it's now or never for Lebron.  The Celtics better not let up like they did in game 3 because they do not want to return to Cleveland for a game 7 like they did last year against Orlando.

Overall, though.  This series has been so uneven.  The Celtics had their worst home playoff loss in franchise history in game 3.  Cleveland did the same and topped them last night.  The Celtics dominated game 2 outside of about 4 minutes where Cleveland cut the lead to 10.  They also dominated the first half of game 1, but crumbled in the second half.  Game 4 in Boston was by far the closest and most competitive game.  Outside of that, you can't get a feel at all for this series except for the fact that the Celtics have been the better team for the majority of time.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:38:49 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2010, 02:03:06 PM »

Lebron is proving to be pretty soft and not very mentally tough.

I guess Kobe is still the greatest player and I was def wrong about that.

Lebron is turning into Eastern Conference Dirk Nowitzki.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »

This has been one of the worst playoffs that i can remember. Cle vs Bos only good series but the East Final and the Finals should be awesome.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »

This has been one of the worst playoffs that i can remember. Cle vs Bos only good series but the East Final and the Finals should be awesome.
Honestly the Cleveland/Boston series hasn't been all that great either.  It has to be the most non competitive 6/7 game series in some time.  Two enormous blowouts, and really none of the games have gone down to the wire.  Games 1 and 4 had their moments, but aside from that the games haven't had much suspense to them.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »

I agree that these playoffs haven't been great, but they've been interesting. Most people thought the Mavs would be the Lakers' biggest threat in the West, yet the Spurs knocked them out in the first round. Then a lot of people jumped on the Spurs' bandwagon, myself included, but then the Suns swept them, which really, really surprised me.

I think the Suns/Lakers matchup has potential to be a great series. Personally, I'm pulling for the Suns. Nash is one of my favorite players; I'd love to see him get a ring. This is probably the Suns last chance at a championship. Although everyone thought their window had already closed before this season, too.

And in the East most people immediately penciled in the Cavs, just like they did last year. I guess it's still possible they could come back and win, but I don't see it happening. What gets me about Lebron is that he doesn't even seem bothered by the situation he's in; he's shown no intensity or passion. But even if they somehow come back to win the series, I don't see either the Celtics or Cavs beating the Magic. The Magic so far have looked unstoppable.

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »

I think Lebron is poised for a big game tomorrow night, like in game 3.  It's now or never for him. 

As for Orlando, the layoff could hurt them early in the Eastern finals.  IF the Celtics can advance they've been a very good road team this season so they could steal one in Orlando early.  Of course they haven't been all that great at home, so that's another story.  But they almost beat Orlando last year in the playoffs without KG, so I wouldn't necessarily pencil them in the finals just yet.

w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2010, 11:12:46 PM »

Such a great day in basketball tonight  smoking
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »

I have to admit, when Lebron hit those back to back 3's to cut the lead to 4 I got a little worried.  Fortunately he had one of his NINE turnovers the next possession and the C's were able to hold on.  Lebron's stat line was great, outside of the nine TO's, but those were killer.

Should be a great series with Orlando.  I foresee another 6/7 game series.  Could go either way.  The Celtics generally matchup with Howard and play him pretty well.  Perkins is able to take him one on one, without the need to double team.  I do think Jameer Nelson will be a little more of a challenge for Rondo at PG though.  Celtics have to look to come out and steal game 1 as the Magic could be a little rusty with all the rest they've gotten.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2010, 12:13:27 AM »

As i stated earlier in my thread. Everyone piles on my fave player Dirk NOwitzki

Lebron is exactly the same. comes up small in the biggest game

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2010, 06:35:02 AM »

I simply can't believe the Celtics pulled it off (and that's coming from a Celts fan!)!

The way they played since Christmas, I didn't think they'd be able to beat the Cavs.  I thought it would be a good series, and go 6 or 7, but I just thought father time had caught up to them.

Happy to say, it looks like I was wrong.  They looked better this series than they have all year.   They looked like the championship caliber team they were 2 years ago...maybe better because of the emergence of Rondo.  They FINALLY look healthy, and they're playing like a team.  If they can keep that up...look out Orlando. 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #212 on: May 14, 2010, 10:48:58 AM »

I simply can't believe the Celtics pulled it off (and that's coming from a Celts fan!)!

The way they played since Christmas, I didn't think they'd be able to beat the Cavs.  I thought it would be a good series, and go 6 or 7, but I just thought father time had caught up to them.

Happy to say, it looks like I was wrong.  They looked better this series than they have all year.   They looked like the championship caliber team they were 2 years ago...maybe better because of the emergence of Rondo.  They FINALLY look healthy, and they're playing like a team.  If they can keep that up...look out Orlando. 
I'm right with you.  I didn't expect much at all from the Celtics in the playoffs.  I figured they'd probably get by Miami, but didn't give them much of a chance against Cleveland.  But they honestly dominated the series and it does appear they're finally starting to gel.  I don't know if it's so much that they didn't care during the regular season and were just waiting for the playoffs to start, but whatever the case I hope they can keep it up.  Orlando is the hottest team in the NBA, 28-3 in their last 31, so it ain't gonna be easy.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »

I'm right with you.  I didn't expect much at all from the Celtics in the playoffs.  I figured they'd probably get by Miami, but didn't give them much of a chance against Cleveland.  But they honestly dominated the series and it does appear they're finally starting to gel.  I don't know if it's so much that they didn't care during the regular season and were just waiting for the playoffs to start, but whatever the case I hope they can keep it up.  Orlando is the hottest team in the NBA, 28-3 in their last 31, so it ain't gonna be easy.

When Ray Allen is shooting the way he has been in these playoffs, they're a different team, it just opens up everything for the rest of the players. 

Orlando is just on fire.  Even assuming that Vince Carter completely folds against the Celtics (which I expect him too), the rest of the team is still a tough cover.  Rondo will be expending more effort on defense this series trying to handle Jameer Nelson, the Magic have at least 3 solid 3-pt shooters, but it's hard to lock down the perimeter when you have to worry about Howard. 

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2010, 01:58:49 AM »

When Ray Allen is shooting the way he has been in these playoffs, they're a different team, it just opens up everything for the rest of the players. 

Orlando is just on fire.  Even assuming that Vince Carter completely folds against the Celtics (which I expect him too), the rest of the team is still a tough cover.  Rondo will be expending more effort on defense this series trying to handle Jameer Nelson, the Magic have at least 3 solid 3-pt shooters, but it's hard to lock down the perimeter when you have to worry about Howard. 

What happened with Orlando being on fire?  Maybe the Celtics defense has something to do with that.  Howard had a big game tonight on offense but didn't have much help elsewhere.  Pierce schooled Vince in the first half.  Now that he doesn't have to guard Lebron he can focus on the offensive side of the ball a bit more.  C's have a commanding 2-0 lead now heading back to Boston.  I'm not taking anything for granted.  I know Orlando is fully capable of winning in Boston, as they showed last year.  I just never bought that they were a better team this year, especially matching up against Boston.  Hedo Turkoglu gave the C's fits.  Vince Carter, not so much. 

One big positive for the Magic both this year and last is JJ Reddick.  I'm forced to hate the guy since he's a Duke guy, and I never remember him being anything more than a 3 point shooter at Duke, but he harasses Ray Allen to no end.  Ray just can't get going against him.  Luckily that hasn't hurt them thus far.

Go C's!!!

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2010, 05:44:05 AM »

I never really understood all the fuzz about Lebron James. Sure he's a very talented player who posts incredible stats year after year, but he ain't no clutch. Simple as that. Kobe, on the other hand is still doing what he does best, stepping up when his team needs him the most.

I can't believe Kobe, at 32, has only been awarded once with the MVP whereas James, at 25,  has already two. I really don't know why the media gives Lebron so much credit when he's not achieved anything yet. When Jordan was 25, he had already lead the league in scoring twice, won an MVP, two slam dunk contests, best defensive player of the year, steals leader...his individual achievements were better than Lebron's today, but no one dared to even put him on the same level as Magic and Bird. It had to be in 1991-1992 when Jordan was 28-29 years old (with a few rings under his belt and dozens of individual achievements) when the US media realized he was on the same "league" as bird and Magic.

Why the rush with James? Why can't the media be fair with Kobe Bryant?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:54:05 AM by Ignatius » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »

Well I think recently Kobe has begun to get the respect he deserves.  He didn't win until Shaq came aboard and when he left he couldn't win without him, and Shaq won with Cleveland.  But the last few years Kobe has proven he CAN win without Shaq, but during those golden years Shaq was THE man and Kobe was second in command.  I thought the Lakers made the wrong choice by letting Shaq go, but obviously I was wrong.  So Kobe is getting his just due now, in my opinion.  Although I will agree, I think he's clearly a better player than Lebron, yet Lebron gets more accolades.  Of course Kobe does have a much better supporting cast than Lebron.  I'd have to think if James was on the Lakers and Kobe on the Cavs, the roles may be reversed.

crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »

He didn't win until Shaq came aboard and when he left he couldn't win without him, and Shaq won with Cleveland.

Yeah, but it could also be said that Shaq couldnt win without Kobe. It wasnt until Kobe became a starter that the Lakers won. And Shaq left and joined an already good team, and played second fiddle to Wade.  Kobe carried Smush Parker and Kwame Brown as STARTERS into the playoffs. Say what you will about what went down, but Kobe was on a dismantled team that was rebuilt around him, and he won another title.  But whatever, its a pretty moot point now.
    The main reason that Kobe doesnt get the praise and accolades, and MVPs, that he deserves is simple.  He plays in LA. People love to hate on LA. Especially the media.  Also, he came along in the era of everyone still on MJ's jock. Nobody (sportswriters) wanted to admit that their hero had an equal. 
    All Kobe does is play ball, and win. He's not jovial in interviews. He doesnt dance on the sidelines. He doesnt have gimmicks. He doesnt want to talk to you.  He just wants to play. And he was punished for that. Every year, during MVP talk, the criteria for an MVP changed to what was opposite of what Kobe was doing.  Carry a team on your back, then "MVP" meant best player on the best team. If the Lakers were the best team, then hey, "He has too much help to be MVP"
   As far as the Kobe/ LeBron debate goes...well, you see who is where.  But LeBron will continue to sing, dance, and smile, so he can rack up more popularity points.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2010, 07:44:06 PM »

Well put Crow.

However, I don't think Bryant is equal to MJ. I'm old enough to have followed both of their careers since they started to play in the NBA and Kobe needs at least 8-10 more years of play to accomplish what MJ did. Not only concerning rings, but also MVP's and individual achievements; scoring titles, slam dunks, steals leader, Finals MVPs, Defensive player of the year, highest point per game average in NBA finals...having said that, it's the best player - by far - I've seen since Jordan.

And regarding Shaq and Kobe, The Lakers threepeated in the 2000's because they had a dominant player inside; Shaq and a clucth player, Kobe. Onea'l would sit down on the bench in the final minutes of play because poor free throw percentage. I remember, even in the year 2000, the Lakers already would hand the ball to Kobe in the final moments of every match instead of Shaq so I don't personally think Onea'l was solely responsible for those rings. He was a dominant force down the paint, but no more than Pau Gasol is for the Lakers nowadays.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #219 on: May 23, 2010, 10:38:29 AM »

Shaq won with Cleveland. 

I just came on to laugh at faldor a little bit.

Besides, you can't really say LeBore has a crappy team around him.  Haven't the Cavs had the best regular season record two years in a row?  Chew on that.

Kobe couldn't have won with Shaq, but Shaq couldn't have won without Kobe either.

LeBron could have all the individual accolades in the world, the fanbase here in LA cares about one thing and one thing only.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: