Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What's the latest with GNR? Are they working on a new album?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the latest with GNR? Are they working on a new album?  (Read 35467 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2009, 09:53:45 AM »

Yeah but when i saw them they only played 3 songs from CD and the classics.
My point is that, if they play mostly CD, people may be disapointed as a lot of people still don't know the album is out or know the songs well enough so it could be a potential disaster.
If they gather some momentum before going a tour, i think it would work out better for them.

It's the same for any artist!

I've seen Depeche Mode and U2 this summer. Both opened their shows with a bunch of new songs and most of the reviews pointed out how the crowd didn't get into those songs!

You don't think people knew they had new albums out? These bands put out videos and do interviews. They do everything by the "How to promote your new album" rule book.

Still, you have people in the audience who are there for the hits.

It's normal.

/jarmo

The only difference is, this is basically a new band and i assume they're gonna try and distance themselves from classic Guns as much as they can.  I expect they should only play 3 - 5 classic Guns songs and the whole CD and maybe something new.
Thats why i think the new songs should get pushed more before a tour.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:55:21 AM by jacdaniel » Logged

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »

Promotion can start all over again once they get out of the Best Buy contract and get the album out to all retailers.  Re-release the album with alternate covers, maybe a bonus track or two, perhaps some live footage, behind the scenes documentary or something, tour and do some interviews.   Really they still have an opportunity to make a fresh start of this thing.  Radio is a tough nut to crack these days, especially with the type of material on CD, but it just takes one hit song.  Clearly part of the problem is people's perception of Axl and also Axl's perception of people, especially those in the media and industry.  While we're not going to see Guns become the biggest band in the world again, they certainly haven't run out of time to please the fans.  Patience and hopefully soon they'll be generating plenty of excitment around here.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »

Yeah but when i saw them they only played 3 songs from CD and the classics.
My point is that, if they play mostly CD, people may be disapointed as a lot of people still don't know the album is out or know the songs well enough so it could be a potential disaster.
If they gather some momentum before going a tour, i think it would work out better for them.

It's the same for any artist!

I've seen Depeche Mode and U2 this summer. Both opened their shows with a bunch of new songs and most of the reviews pointed out how the crowd didn't get into those songs!

You don't think people knew they had new albums out? These bands put out videos and do interviews. They do everything by the "How to promote your new album" rule book.

Still, you have people in the audience who are there for the hits.

It's normal.

/jarmo

The only difference is, this is basically a new band and i assume they're gonna try and distance themselves from classic Guns as much as they can.  I expect they should only play 3 - 5 classic Guns songs and the whole CD and maybe something new.
Thats why i think the new songs should get pushed more before a tour.

Axl said in 2001 something along the lines of "we have no intention of denying you the songs that you want to hear", when talking about people criticising them for playing the old songs.  For that reason, I think that any future sets will be around 50/50 between old and new material.  You've got to remember that as far as he, and many of the fans (though admittedly a minority) are concerned, it's not a new band, but a new line-up of an old one.  There's no reason to not carry on playing the old songs.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 10:43:32 AM »

You've got to remember that as far as he, and many of the fans (though admittedly a minority) are concerned, it's not a new band, but a new line-up of an old one.  There's no reason to not carry on playing the old songs.

Yeah, that is true.  but with that will come the criticism.
Thin Lizzy still put on a great show  but all anyone can say is that they're like a tribute band these days. (Even the band basically admit it). although its a bit different for them cos they arent putting out albums.
Hell even some of the ex gunners have gotten a lot of criticism for playing some old Guns songs.  and they steered clear of the "Hits".

i just think it will be harder for Nu Guns to be taking seriously if they are playing a lot of the old songs.  people will always criticise them for being a tribute act, which is a little harsh.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
circusboy666
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »

wow...i got ripped a little. actually i saw 06 and 07(4 shows).  all im saying is it is VERY difficult to promote an album a year after it came out. many bands that albums hit a year later are usually not mainstream bands bc they obviously already have a fan base. by realeasing another album and then touring would create a new fresh buzz. of course i want a tour and of course i will be there but the fact is they dropped the ball to target a new audience with cd.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »

wow...i got ripped a little. actually i saw 06 and 07(4 shows).  all im saying is it is VERY difficult to promote an album a year after it came out. many bands that albums hit a year later are usually not mainstream bands bc they obviously already have a fan base. by realeasing another album and then touring would create a new fresh buzz. of course i want a tour and of course i will be there but the fact is they dropped the ball to target a new audience with cd.

By starting a tour, you create a "fresh new buzz".

Haven't you noticed in the past? Back when the band toured without an album out?

Fans get excited about upcoming shows etc.

Besides, there are people out there who don't own the album yet because they're either not aware that it's out or don't know how great it actually is.

A tour would help in both cases.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
suicide
VIP

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2009, 02:53:51 AM »

Besides, there are people out there who don't own the album yet because they're either not aware that it's out or don't know how great it actually is.

Isn't that the main problem? Like you said, there are people who don't know the album is out. Why would they bother to pay a shitload of money to go see the shows?

You don't have to convince the fans, they will be at the shows with or without a new album.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2009, 04:51:14 AM »

Isn't that the main problem? Like you said, there are people who don't know the album is out. Why would they bother to pay a shitload of money to go see the shows?

You don't have to convince the fans, they will be at the shows with or without a new album.

I didn't say they would.

Some of you seem to think the only way to create the so called buzz is by releasing a new album.

I just said you can create that same thing by touring.

Tour -> buzz -> album / ticket sales

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
suicide
VIP

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2009, 09:59:25 AM »

Sure, but to promote the tour you need something new. Be it a single, a video or whatever. Just to attract new blood.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2009, 10:36:25 AM »

Sure, but to promote the tour you need something new. Be it a single, a video or whatever. Just to attract new blood.

And how does either one require a new album like some of you claim?

Chinese Democracy is a new album to most of the public.

Just because you (not you personally) decided to ruin the surprise by listening to unfinished versions of the songs years ago, doesn't mean the rest of the world did.

/jarmo

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2009, 10:52:46 AM »

The thing is, we're living in an impatient world.  After a few months, something becomes yesterday's news.  That's why most bands - the ones who do things properly - tour before it becomes yesterday's news.  We're nearly 1 year past the release, nobody's talking about the album any more, and no one (not the people here, obviously) seems to particularly care if we hear anything new from the band at all... it's pretty much too late, now.  They might be able to salvage something, but I doubt it.  Short story, if they want to do anything other than play a greatest hits set and have people actually give a shit, they'll need to come up with another record, and not repeat the mistakes that they made with this one.  It's a shame because it is one of the best albums I've heard this decade, but it's pretty much doomed to be the "underappreciated classic" - or worse, the laughing stock - now.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2009, 11:23:17 AM »

That makes very little sense.

They can go on tour and play most of the album live. And you know what? The audiences wouldn't have heard those songs performed live before!

Maybe they don't even own the album in question. The songs would be as new to them as the ones from the new album you dream about.

Bands tour to fucking support Greatest Hits albums! In other words, albums are released as an excuse to tour.

Nobody's talking about the album? Did you ever think that it would change once there's a tour?

Seems like you live in the old world. The one where albums sell a shitload, MTV plays videos and you're only allowed to tour when you got a new album out.

This band spent two years on the road promoting the Use Your Illusion albums. First months BEFORE they were even out and then 1.5+ years AFTER their release.

I guess the albums were very old news by the end of the tour...  Roll Eyes

They don't play the same rule book you like to think applies to everybody.

The same people who are now saying GN'R needs to put out a new album ASAP are the ones who said they shouldn't have toured without an album out.

I didn't notice a bunch of unhappy fans at the shows in Japan in 2007 even though some know-it-alls were saying GN'R shouldn't tour.

So all those who are waiting for the new album, just stay home from the next proper Chinese Democracy tour. Maybe you'll get your fresh album and songs one day.  ok

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:26:42 AM by jarmo » Logged

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »

So all those who are waiting for the new album, just stay home from the next proper Chinese Democracy tour. Maybe you'll get your fresh album and songs one day.  ok

/jarmo

No!

Every person counts.  If that one person stays home, he/she/it will continue to whine on the boards.  Also, the band loses money on an empty seat.  Also, merchandise baby.  That's an easy $100 dollars lost if that fan spends the bare minimum at the show.  Less stimulation for the economy.

People should be encouraged to attend shows.  It doesn't come natural to most people, they need a little shove or a gentle push.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »

That's just it.  This (unwritten) rule book does apply to everybody.  And not playing by it has fucked them over, because as amazing as the album is, hardly anyone bought the damn thing.

Touring behind an album that was (supposedly) forthcoming creates a buzz for the album (which died down by the time it actually came out).  Touring behind an album that's a year old, and hardly anyone bought is just foolhardy.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »

People should be encouraged to attend shows.  It doesn't come natural to most people, they need a little shove or a gentle push.

You mean like "you should attend so you have something new to whine about"?

Some fans are already ready to abandon the album while the band aren't done with it yet. I guess that's how real fans support their "favorite" band?

Are other bands' fans like this? Against a chance to see the band perform songs from the latest album live? The thing they moaned about lacking on the last tours!

Now I get it.

In 2006 and 2007, the band shouldn't have toured because there was no new album and they should've played more new songs live.

In 2009 they shouldn't tour because they have new songs to perform but not new enough!

I see....  rofl

Just proves the old "can't please everyone" saying....

That's just it.  This (unwritten) rule book does apply to everybody.  And not playing by it has fucked them over, because as amazing as the album is, hardly anyone bought the damn thing.

Touring behind an album that was (supposedly) forthcoming creates a buzz for the album (which died down by the time it actually came out).  Touring behind an album that's a year old, and hardly anyone bought is just foolhardy.

And explain the old tours. Thanks. ok

According to you and "the book", the Use Your Illusion tour was too long and we shouldn't have seen the band live since about 1992 when the "by the book" tour ended while the albums were still fresh.

Amazing!

You really think people go see AC/DC because they got a new album out? Or do they go because they want to see a AC/DC show? Even though Black Ice sold a lot, it doesn't mean people go because of it.

How about Iron Maiden? They only sell out stadiums because there's soooooo much buzz about their new albums? Really?

Bands go on tour these days to play sets that feature them playing full albums or tributes to their past tours. Albums that were released decades ago!

But you're saying the only way to create buzz is to release a new album.

Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden etc didn't listen to you!

Are their fans as "upset" as you are about the live shows?

Isn't it obvious by now that your way of thinking isn't exactly the norm anymore? Yet you go on about it like it's the only way that works....

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:18:49 PM by jarmo » Logged

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 12:14:14 PM »

You mean like "you should attend so you have something new to whine about"?

Some fans are already ready to abandon the album while the band aren't done with it yet. I guess that's how real fans support their "favorite" band?

Are other bands' fans like this? Against a chance to see the band perform songs from the latest album live? The thing they moaned about lacking on the last tours!

I've had a chance to peruse through a few fanboards in my time, and yes, most people are indeed very shallow.  Stupid even.  The kind that need to be taken outback and put to sleep.  Even fans of the "smart" bands whine and complain about everything.  Recent example being the U2 tour.  The most popular band in the world gets pissed on for playing new songs.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2009, 12:16:47 PM »

I've had a chance to peruse through a few fanboards in my time, and yes, most people are indeed very shallow.  Stupid even.  The kind that need to be taken outback and put to sleep.  Even fans of the "smart" bands whine and complain about everything.  Recent example being the U2 tour.  The most popular band in the world gets pissed on for playing new songs.

Haha.

That's funny.

The bands have to put out albums to create the elusive buzz. But once they tour, they shouldn't play those songs live. Only old classics and hits.

Is that the secret formula for success in the concert business?  Wink

U2 is another example of the buzz. They put out an album earlier this year but the tour didn't start at the time of its release. It started months later.

Their 360 Tour still managed to create a lot of buzz. On top of that, fans still attend the shows!

Weird isn't it?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:20:17 PM by jarmo » Logged

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2009, 12:23:18 PM »

Haha.

That's funny.

The bands have to put out albums to create the elusive buzz. But once they tour, they shouldn't play those songs live. Only old classics and hits.

Is that the secret formula for success in the concert business?  Wink

U2 is another example of the buzz. They put out an album earlier this year but the tour didn't start at the time of its release. It started months later.

Their 360 Tour still managed to create a lot of buzz. On top of that, fans still attend the shows!

Weird isn't it?

/jarmo

The fans still attend the shows, but some still complain.

For Guns, I'd rather have a packed house with some people complaining after the show than a half-empty house with just diehards.  A big buzz with a few wet towels is better for the band than...something less than that.
SMFS
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2009, 12:36:08 PM »

That makes very little sense.

They can go on tour and play most of the album live. And you know what? The audiences wouldn't have heard those songs performed live before!

Maybe they don't even own the album in question. The songs would be as new to them as the ones from the new album you dream about.

Bands tour to fucking support Greatest Hits albums! In other words, albums are released as an excuse to tour.

Nobody's talking about the album? Did you ever think that it would change once there's a tour?

Seems like you live in the old world. The one where albums sell a shitload, MTV plays videos and you're only allowed to tour when you got a new album out.

This band spent two years on the road promoting the Use Your Illusion albums. First months BEFORE they were even out and then 1.5+ years AFTER their release.

I guess the albums were very old news by the end of the tour...  Roll Eyes

The same people who are now saying GN'R needs to put out a new album ASAP are the ones who said they shouldn't have toured without an album out.

I didn't notice a bunch of unhappy fans at the shows in Japan in 2007 even though some know-it-alls were saying GN'R shouldn't tour.

/jarmo

Oh!
I didn't know Guns N' Roses were touring!
Where can I find the tourdates?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2009, 12:42:04 PM »

Of course a sold out show is nicer than one that's not.

But you can't have sold out shows without a tour. And a tour is something the band is aiming for according to those Axl interviews.

Think about it.

They got past so many obstacles in order to release the album and I'm assuming they want to tour it.

But what I don't get is that some fans are already saying "no tour, we want a new album".

I don't know how to describe what these people are saying nicely.

But to tell somebody who conquered all kinds of nightmares in order to get the album out, "please do it again right away", is just a fucking weird way of thinking in my opinion.

Oh!
I didn't know Guns N' Roses were touring!
Where can I find the tourdates?

The topic is: What's the latest with GNR? Are they working on a new album?

The answer to that is, I think there's supposed to be a Chinese Democracy tour before that album.....

For those who still go on and on about it, read this. It's pretty explanatory.

When's the next album?

Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around forever already demanding release dates.

spinner.com Axl interview by Del James
February 27th, 2009

/jarmo

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: