Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 04:54:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash 'Scott Weiland is like George Bush to me ? I like him now that he?s gone'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash 'Scott Weiland is like George Bush to me ? I like him now that he?s gone'  (Read 25634 times)
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »

I think the main problem with VR was that Slash and Co. look at it like a 4 guys plus the singer type situation while someone who has had success (and ego) like Scott is going to come in and want more control. I imagine they were bickering over money too, that's usually par for the course in these supergroups.

I found it funny that VR seemed to want this dangerous image by getting a wild card like Scott Weiland to front the band but then didn't want to deal with any of the actual consequences that brings with it.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 11:50:13 AM »

I found it funny that VR seemed to want this dangerous image by getting a wild card like Scott Weiland to front the band but then didn't want to deal with any of the actual consequences that brings with it.

As far as I remember from years ago, they openly talked about his issues when he joined!

Like it was no big deal.... It all fit nicely with the unpredictable real dangerous rock n' roll image.

Then a few years later, they all got addiction/drug issues (except maybe Dave).

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »

That goes for all of you Axl haters who feel uncomfortable enough to talk about Slash in a thread that once again proves that he's not the guy you think he is.

Well this quote just sums you up Jarmo.  Why does it have to be so black and white with you.  Im an Axl hater just cos i point out that he has blamed many others for his own album flopping?  

I just find it amazing that some people think this is SO bad that Slash tells it like it was!

You troll!

Don't you guys really hate people talking about Slash in the GNR section?  If you hate him SO much, why come here to speak about him.

You're quite obviously a blind defender fanboy of W.Axl Rose.   ok  

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »

As far as I remember from years ago, they openly talked about his issues when he joined!

Like it was no big deal.... It all fit nicely with the unpredictable real dangerous rock n' roll image.

Then a few years later, they all got addiction/drug issues (except maybe Dave).

/jarmo

Hell, Scott got arrested for drugs while they were recording Contraband and no one seemed to mind then!!

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2009, 11:57:50 AM »

Kind of surprising statements by Slash, but it makes sense to me, considering everything.

It was surprising to me as well.  I thought the problems with Scott were more at the end of VR, and Scott has said "Slash and I always got on pretty well."

That is because Slash is anti-confrontational... So he is more likely to go with flow than buck system...

I think it's more like he didn't want to say or do anything while the band was popular and making him money. Once the vast majority of people didn't care about them any more he decided to do something. If libertad would have been a hit, Scott would still be in the band no matter how drugged out he was and slash never would be saying these things now.
totally. It seems that he left when GNR didn't seem as cool as before.

also he seems quite a backbiter.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2009, 11:59:57 AM »

I don't think Duff's "issues" really count.  An incompetent doctor prescribed him anxiety pills that any doctor should know not to prescribe to anybody with a history of drug or alcohol abuse, and was told to take them whenever he felt he needed them.  After a few days, he felt himself becoming addicted, so checked into rehab before he did.  But Slash and Matt's relapses were definitely on a par with Scott's... in fact there's an interview with Slash in which he states he deliberately started doing Oxycontin, because his wife was away in rehab for exhaustion, and there was no one around to stop him.
Special attention should be paid to the fact that Perla had left their children in Slash's care during this time...
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2009, 12:20:27 PM »

Well this quote just sums you up Jarmo.  Why does it have to be so black and white with you.  Im an Axl hater just cos i point out that he has blamed many others for his own album flopping?  

It seems like I have to use some kind of extreme phrases to wake you up.

You don't seem to fucking get the simple fact that Axl has nothing to do with this topic.

I just find it amazing that some people think this is SO bad that Slash tells it like it was!

"Tells it like it is" and Slash doesn't mix.

"Tells it the way it fits his current agenda" is more like it.  ok

You're quite obviously a blind defender fanboy of W.Axl Rose.   ok  

If that makes you feel better, sure!

I have no problem admitting that I'm a GN'R/Axl fan that post on a site dedicated to those two.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2009, 12:45:04 PM »

Could it be that things weren't that bad in the beginning but towards the end were intolerable and this is what he's talking about.  Maybe that part of the interview was taken out of context.  Wait that never happens.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »

I've never believed the breakup was all Axl's fault. Axl wanting to make an amazing album can be seen as being "tough" to work with just cause he doesn't want to settle for ok.

I blasted Axl for calling Slash a cancer, so when Slash after 2 years now without Scott tries to put all the blame on Scott, I have to call it like I see it.

Slash raved on how great Libertad was, Just cause it didn't sell shit, doesn't mean u can all of a sudden point fingers and blame it on this or that.  I don't give Axl a free pass on this kind of thing and I don't give Slash or anybody a free pass either.

Slash is the "leader" of VR, the second he allows stuff to go on the CD it becomes his responsibility. If he didn't like something, he should've spoke up and not talked about it years later.

Now does this mean I hate Slash or think he is a liar all of a sudden? Of Course not

but in any breakup situation, there is usually more than a fair share of blame to go around.

Oxycotin is called Hillbilly Heroin for a reason and yes a lot of people shoot it up.

I've always said that Slash's biggest problem is he has poor communication skills and the inability to voice his displeasure

Here is how I look at this and GNR

GNR and the label CHOSE Best Buy therefore u can't bitch about Best Buy being the reason for poor sales

Slash can't bitch about Scott because he knew what he was getting when he signed him up.

I think Slash's solo album will be awesome, but every artist proclaims what they are working on to be the best thing ever.

I wish Slash would just say "We went in a different direction with Libertad" we failed, we are getting back to our roots for the 3rd instead of seemingly pointing the finger.

Last I checked Scott doesn't play guitar and didn't write the riffs.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »

Could it be that things weren't that bad in the beginning but towards the end were intolerable and this is what he's talking about. 

Doesn't seem like it:

Slash was unhappy throughout his entire career in Velvet Revolver

But fuckin Velvet Revolver ? that was the toughest five years, dealing with that band, just because of the obvious [Weiland] and really, really bad management. Joke management for the entire time.

?For some reason in that entire five years I could never be happy."

/jarmo

jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »

Could it be that things weren't that bad in the beginning but towards the end were intolerable and this is what he's talking about. 

Doesn't seem like it:

Slash was unhappy throughout his entire career in Velvet Revolver

But fuckin Velvet Revolver ? that was the toughest five years, dealing with that band, just because of the obvious [Weiland] and really, really bad management. Joke management for the entire time.

?For some reason in that entire five years I could never be happy."

/jarmo

You're right. 

I read the interview the other day and didn't remember it exactly.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »

Most of them had addiction problems but only Scott's was a problem?

Oh please, there is a difference between pain killers and heroine!  Didn't you hear!

When will people realize it can't be a coincidence that the guy says the similar things about his former band mates?

When he said that about Guns he was reffering to the later stages when his and Axl's relationship broke down.  He never said the whole thing was hell.  Even though they had to put up with a front man who couldnt make it onstage on time. 

Nice try.

Slash is the topic.

HAHA!  Are you offended cos im right?

Didnt Axl  try and point the finger for CD flopping?

The record label, Slash wanted to take over Guns, Izzy didnt care! the leaks!

Your a hypocrite for talking about slash when Axl has blamed more people than anyone else!

typical slashite garbage.    you don't want to talk about slash in a slash thread, you just want to bash Axl.  ok
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »

Does anybody know of anyone who says, "this guy who's in my band is a complete nightmare, it's not fun, and I don't think we're working at our best", during an interview, even when there are obvious troubles in the band?  It just doesn't happen... mainly because making things public is not going to help matters.  Keeping private matters private is just common sense.  When it became obvious that things weren't ever going to get any better - ie: when they fired him - he was free to say these things.  Of course, I personally still have issues with the man airing his dirty laundry out in public... and did back in April 2008 when Slash and Matt were both holding "exclusive" interviews in order to talk about nothing but how much of an asshole Scott is.  Character assassination does seem to be Slash and Matt's primary way of dealing with it when they fall out with bandmates... but I can understand why he wasn't saying whilst Scott was still in the band.

i dont think any single person here has demanded that slash should have been calling scott a nightmare or anything remotely resembling that while he was in the band. but there's a big difference between keeping your dirty laundry to yourself and wildly over-selling an album by endlessly milking comparisons to AFD and the aura attached to that.

like i said, Slash's book came out in 2007 and slash was done making libertad by then and he expresses his pride in that record in the book. he  holds up the making of the record as an example to all young bands of how to do things in the most ideal environment (everybody in the same room, super competent producer, everybody supporting each other in the best creative ways possible). he said that the recording sessions had the same kind of magic as the making of AFD.

nobody says that you badmouth your frontman in public if youre having trouble with him but there's no requirement whatsoever to make such extreme over-the-top statements and promise the moon. that is not making the best of a bad situation- it is an obvious marketing ploy.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »

I think its kind of karmic and funny how Axl had to put up with drug addicted, heroin addict Slash and then Slash turns around and has a problem when he has to put up with a drug addicted heroin addict Scott.

kind of hypocritical I must admit.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »

I think its kind of karmic and funny how Axl had to put up with drug addicted, heroin addict Slash and then Slash turns around and has a problem when he has to put up with a drug addicted heroin addict Scott.

From everything i've encountered it seemed as though Slash seemed to curb his heroin addiction when he was needed (touring and recording) and was able to cut back for that, but when he had free time is when he got most in trouble, maybe Scott couldn't do that.  I'm just going by stuff I remember and I know there is going to be the legion of people out there pulling up articles to prove me wrong, but I don't spend my time memorizing every sentence by members of Guns N Roses to debate who is the bad guy in that band, I'd rather use my mental energy for something productive... Maybe we should spend our energy on finding alternative energy sources instead of who was at fault for the demise of Guns N Roses.

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2009, 06:07:53 PM »

Does anybody know of anyone who says, "this guy who's in my band is a complete nightmare, it's not fun, and I don't think we're working at our best", during an interview, even when there are obvious troubles in the band?  It just doesn't happen... mainly because making things public is not going to help matters.  Keeping private matters private is just common sense.  When it became obvious that things weren't ever going to get any better - ie: when they fired him - he was free to say these things.  Of course, I personally still have issues with the man airing his dirty laundry out in public... and did back in April 2008 when Slash and Matt were both holding "exclusive" interviews in order to talk about nothing but how much of an asshole Scott is.  Character assassination does seem to be Slash and Matt's primary way of dealing with it when they fall out with bandmates... but I can understand why he wasn't saying whilst Scott was still in the band.

i agree with you.  I dont think the guys wanted to have another big band fall apart because of the relationship with the singer.  And obviously they werent gonna go public and say it while the band was together.  Once that was done by Matt, the band was dead.  After they broke up with Scott i seen clips of STP performances were scott looked out of it so im happy they put that behind them. 

Didnt scotts wife also leave him during this period because of what he was going through.

And he started going on stage late towards the end of VR which them guys will NOT put up with again.

i love how you cling to whatever version of events points the finger at scott, exactly the same way slash does. its interesting how the break-up of scott's marriage is used as a dart to throw at him when by slash's own admission, his own marriage to Perla almost fell apart during his OxyContin days. as for scott being "out of it", he has managed to tour with STP, complete and release a solo album and is now working with STP. for all the claims about how dysfunctional he is, thats a substantial amount of productivity.

slash admits in his book that problems arose when HE chose different management than the rest of the band. of course he defends this decision but it soured relations among them to the point that when axl's press release about slash visiting his house and badmouthing the other VR guys came out, everybody believed it and by slash's description he became a pariah in the band. this reflects how little trust his own band members had in slash. he had to start by patching things up with matt and then duff and scott.

its instructive that slash doesnt just go after scott in this interview- he says that the entire 5 years were a miserable expeience. it might be convenient to you to simplify everything into an anti-scott tale but the fact is that according to slash's book itself, he himself was at odds with everybody for a substantial period during VR.
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2009, 06:14:32 PM »

From everything i've encountered it seemed as though Slash seemed to curb his heroin addiction when he was needed (touring and recording) and was able to cut back for that, but when he had free time is when he got most in trouble, maybe Scott couldn't do that.  I'm just going by stuff I remember and I know there is going to be the legion of people out there pulling up articles to prove me wrong, but I don't spend my time memorizing every sentence by members of Guns N Roses to debate who is the bad guy in that band, I'd rather use my mental energy for something productive... Maybe we should spend our energy on finding alternative energy sources instead of who was at fault for the demise of Guns N Roses.

its not a matter of memorizing every detail. its a matter of setting the record straight.

acccording to slash, he was shooting up in Matt's bathroom when he went there for rehearsals, leaving blood on the walls. he would show up so out of it that he would "nod out" as they worked. he became the "dark horse" of the band to the point that "everybody went quiet when he walked into the room". the band showed tolerance towards his troubles, a courtesy they did not show to scott.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2009, 08:15:46 PM »

Don't you know that if the mystery of why Guns broke up is solved then they will reunite and the power from their combined energies and performance will be our answer for coal and oil.
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »

Don't you know that if the mystery of why Guns broke up is solved then they will reunite and the power from their combined energies and performance will be our answer for coal and oil.

This.
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2009, 10:35:57 PM »

I got the impression that they were all fed up with each other at the time they were making the record, and so it wouldn't have been 3 against 1.  It seemed more like 5 people doing the absolute minimum they needed to do to get a record out there.  It's just that Scott was the only one they couldn't seem to reconcile with.  Although I do agree with some of the analysis... not all of it.

i agree that their personal differences seemed to involve all of them and not just center on weiland. but in terms of deciding the musical direction of the album, it would still have been 3 against 1 if scott had been trying to force a mellower sound on the others. slash, duff and matt are all on the record preferring a harder approach. matt made that "whats with the piano" comment about Axl and November Rain, duff spoke about how he, slash and steven had opposed SCOM because they didnt want to do ballads. so there's no way that scott could have made anybody do what they didnt want to do.

to me, it seems that they made a calculation that they would be more "current" if they went with a more muted rock sound which has been prevalent on the scene with the likes of Nickelback, Coldplay etc. Brendan o Brien who produced STP, Incubus and Augustana was chosen for Libertad and he seems to have Slash's full praise and support in his book.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: