Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 11:06:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N? Roses Uploader Gets House Arrest, Will Make Anti-Piracy Ad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N? Roses Uploader Gets House Arrest, Will Make Anti-Piracy Ad  (Read 8342 times)
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »

Apparently, this guy told Rollingstone he leaked the songs to "promote" the band.

I am glad the guy didn't have his life ruined by something as trivial as song leaks, but for him to say that he leaked the songs to promote the band is complete bullshit.  If he cared about GN'R promotion and not promotion for himself, he would not have leaked them in such a way that made it obvious that he was the one who leaked the songs.  He was trying to draw attention to himself.  If that were not the case, he would have found a way to leak the songs more anonymously.

Ali

He did it to promote his own website, not the band.

It is a personal opinion, but I think the sentence is ridiculous.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »

Apparently, this guy told Rollingstone he leaked the songs to "promote" the band.

I am glad the guy didn't have his life ruined by something as trivial as song leaks, but for him to say that he leaked the songs to promote the band is complete bullshit.  If he cared about GN'R promotion and not promotion for himself, he would not have leaked them in such a way that made it obvious that he was the one who leaked the songs.  He was trying to draw attention to himself.  If that were not the case, he would have found a way to leak the songs more anonymously.

Ali

Wow. Haven't heard from you in a while!

On topic; I believe that whoever says they didn't hear tracks from this album before it was release is flat out lying.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »

Ali

What should he have got?

If he was an actual reporter or from a big blog website and did this he probably would have being free and clear.  He could have put them online as news worthy rather then how he did.

With that said I agree with the judge on this case.  Regardless of the reason behind the leak he did post stolen property and they need to crack down on that.  At the same time some questions need to be asked about why the leak happened.

From what I have seen in the entertainment industry certain people in authority like to treat assistants etc like shit.  That may have worked 15-20 years ago but now it is just as easy to say fuck you and leak shit.

I have herd from multiple bands saying that as soon as an album reaches Walmart it is leaked online.  Not really a shock considering how poorly they treat their employees.  

At the end of the day the reason the album didn't sell was because of no promotion or tour.  That should have all being setup way before.  I am not blaming Axl or anyone in GnR.  Maybe it was their fault maybe it was the studio.  Maybe Axl wanted to do a large scale production and the label said no.  

However when you have people in the U.S. loosing jobs, homes left and right.  Then you see posted on ITUNES 6 billions songs sold.  On top of that you see how much money the top acts are making which is starting at 20 million and going up from that point it is hard to feel sorry for artists or the record labels.  

It is not the fans fault that the labels fucked over bands for years and the only way bands could make some major cash was to tour and sell merch.  Now people are spending less on the actual music but ticket prices have gone up to triple the price in 10 years for many of these bands.  So the bands are making record profits and the labels in some cases are getting the short end of the stick.  However that short stick is the labels fault not the bands.  If the labels had operated as partners with bands instead of dictators maybe they would still be making huge profits.  
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 04:44:53 PM »

Ali
True and he wouldnt be in the shit storm he is in now.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 05:29:42 PM »

Ali

On topic; I believe that whoever says they didn't hear tracks from this album before it was release is flat out lying.

Sorry, but I don't see how that is relevant to my original comment.  I said nothing about the leaking of songs being right or wrong, whether it hurt or helped the band.

I just think his explanation for why he did it is complete bullshit.  He did it to promote himself, his own website.  And because of that, he got himself in a world of trouble, as Jdog said.

Ali
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 05:35:06 PM »

Ali

Sorry, but I don't see how that is relevant to my original comment.  I said nothing about the leaking of songs being right or wrong, whether it hurt or helped the band.

I just think his explanation for why he did it is complete bullshit.  He did it to promote himself, his own website.  And because of that, he got himself in a world of trouble, as Jdog said.

Ali

I apologize, I wasn't responding to you. I was more responding to the fact that I hadn't seen Mysteron post in a while. My original intent was just to post that I don't believe that there's one person on any of these forums that didn't hear these before official release. Not meant to be connected to your post other than the Mysteron quote.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 05:43:24 PM »

Ali

Ali

I apologize, I wasn't responding to you. I was more responding to the fact that I hadn't seen Mysteron post in a while. My original intent was just to post that I don't believe that there's one person on any of these forums that didn't hear these before official release. Not meant to be connected to your post other than the Mysteron quote.
I think though there are some peple here that have downloaded it on that site and just wont admit it that are here and I wouldnt be suprised if some of them where here with us on this thread.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 07:30:38 PM »

GUNS N' ROSES Uploader Apologizes To AXL ROSE, Slams SLASH - July 15, 2009

The Los Angeles man who was sentenced to a year of probation (including two months of modified house arrest) for uploading pre-release GUNS N' ROSES tracks told MTV News that he was offended by the comments former GN'R guitarist Slash made about him. "A friend of mine conducted an interview with Slash last year in which he called me a thief and wished that I 'rot in jail,'" Kevin Cogill said. "I found that surprisingly crass, especially considering the guy has made no bones about shoplifting cassette tapes with the same rationale as today's downloaders. So if he wants to see me in jail, I'll see him in the cafeteria."

Cogill (pictured below) told MTV News that he carries a great deal of remorse for what he did, though he never intended any harm to Axl Rose ? he was just a fan who was excited about a band he loved. "I've come to respect the artists' right to determine how their art is released," he said. "I do apologize to Axl for that disrespect. As a fan who had lost faith in all of the promises of release, I didn't see too many other options at the time. But in a fair world, it's not my place to judge, let alone act."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=123670

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »

Ali

Ali

I think though there are some peple here that have downloaded it on that site and just wont admit it that are here and I wouldnt be suprised if some of them where here with us on this thread.

Well as I previously stated, I don't believe there's one person out there who didn't hear these tunes before they were officially released.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »

Cogill (pictured below) told MTV News that he carries a great deal of remorse for what he did, though he never intended any harm to Axl Rose ? he was just a fan who was excited about a band he loved. "I've come to respect the artists' right to determine how their art is released," he said. "I do apologize to Axl for that disrespect. As a fan who had lost faith in all of the promises of release, I didn't see too many other options at the time. But in a fair world, it's not my place to judge, let alone act."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=123670

He doesn't sound too remorseful in his Twitter posts.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »

My issue isn't with him leaking the songs

My issue is when someone tries to turn that into some kind of self fame or some shit and then act like some sort of internet community crusader and like some type of martyr or what not.

Leak the songs fine, don't try to get all famous and act like u are important or some shit cause of it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 08:03:16 PM »

My issue is when someone tries to turn that into some kind of self fame or some shit and then act like some sort of internet community crusader and like some type of martyr or what not.

Leak the songs fine, don't try to get all famous and act like u are important or some shit cause of it.

My biggest problem with it is the grandstanding that goes on. I laugh pretty hard when I see people damning this guy and saying he got what he deserved and so on when you know damn well they downloaded and listened to songs before release.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »

My biggest problem with it is the grandstanding that goes on. I laugh pretty hard when I see people damning this guy and saying he got what he deserved and so on when you know damn well they downloaded and listened to songs before release.

Of Course

I don't want him to go to jail for leaking songs, I want him to go to jail for trying to profit and get famous himself off of it.

I think that's pathetic.

If u want to leak songs to give something to the fanbase.

Fine

But don't act use it to try and get known and then act like some type of hero when u get busted.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 08:56:10 PM »

I don't want him to go to jail for leaking songs, I want him to go to jail for trying to profit and get famous himself off of it.

But he didn't charge people for them did he??

Anyway, I guess it's good that he apologised. And if you think about it, there are much more evil people in the world than this guy. Wink

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 09:32:50 PM »

Some people around here are having a hard time that the album didn't sell as well as they thought it would.  It looks like those people are taking out their dissatisfaction out on this guy then looking at their icons. 

Normally, I wouldn't be an advocate to those who take it upon themselves to release material to the public that isn't there's to release.  That said, what the leaks did was remind the public that there was actually something there; that an album was coming.  If you're all aware of the game Duke Nukem Forever, you'll know that it's been in production just for long as Chinese Democracy was.  The company making the game went bust, and out of that pictures were released.  It actually got me excited and sad that I won't be able to play the game. 

I'm of the opinion that the leaks did the same.  It would have been one thing had this been 1999 and the release of CD was imminent.  But it definitely reminded the public that GNR was real, that there was substance coming and something to be excited about.

If anything killed sales, I'd look to the whole album being available on myspace three days before its release.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
cineater
Legend

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 12:15:47 AM »

I think when the guy speaks "professionally" he's damn good.  GNR needs to hire him for PR.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 12:20:31 AM »

Bringing up Slash stealing cassette tapes is a fair point...I wonder if music piracy became something to 'rot in jail' for right around the time that Slash became a successful musician? I expect he'll be turning himself over to the authorities any day now.  Wink

The sentence seems reasonable to me. It's about deterring him and others who may do the same, not about mindless retribution.

I'm of the opinion that the leaks did the same.  It would have been one thing had this been 1999 and the release of CD was imminent.  But it definitely reminded the public that GNR was real, that there was substance coming and something to be excited about.

Indeed. The leaks and the press that came as a result was probably some of the most potent publicity that the album had - not that that's saying much.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 12:24:31 AM by TomFriend » Logged

And there goes the challenger...
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »

Cogill (pictured below) told MTV News that he carries a great deal of remorse for what he did, though he never intended any harm to Axl Rose — he was just a fan who was excited about a band he loved. "I've come to respect the artists' right to determine how their art is released," he said. "I do apologize to Axl for that disrespect. As a fan who had lost faith in all of the promises of release, I didn't see too many other options at the time. But in a fair world, it's not my place to judge, let alone act."

He doesn't sound too remorseful in his Twitter posts.
Thats cus hes a dick who wanted 10 mins of fame and is trying to keep it going!!!!

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 11:31:31 AM »

yea. Seemingly he's laughing up his sleeves. nice guy. no

but this is more pathetic.

no word on a civil suit. i still haven't revealed the source of the leak, but i might if they come after me for more.

they definitely don't want me explaining who was ultimately responsible.

why and why riaa? what were they doing when gnr was after the source. no
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 03:07:16 PM »

yea. Seemingly he's laughing up his sleeves. nice guy. no

but this is more pathetic.

no word on a civil suit. i still haven't revealed the source of the leak, but i might if they come after me for more.

they definitely don't want me explaining who was ultimately responsible.

why and why riaa? what were they doing when gnr was after the source. no
I hope he gets the civil suit cus he so is asking for it when hes was fucking around with the GN'R name!!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: