Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 10:31:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is it people fail to understand about Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is it people fail to understand about Chinese Democracy?  (Read 186208 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #720 on: July 08, 2009, 10:53:30 AM »

sometimes I wonder if the no promo,tour, video etc was used just for fans and the band etc to be able to say

well it sold x amount and that is great considering no this that that

its like a built in excuse, like the fighter who loses and says he was injured etc.

14th best is great for Good Charlotte/Papa Roach etc

This is Guns N Fucking Roses for christ's sake.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #721 on: July 08, 2009, 11:02:28 AM »

again it's Guns n roses not any other band.

blaming the band for not doing some things other bands would do is like blaming yourself for liking the band.

People who don't like CD are annoying as fuck.

haha imagine if they are like that about everything in real life. 

maybe their biased opinions can have the opposite effect.

"Uncool guys are hating it, it must be cool!"

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #722 on: July 08, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »

it was the first GNR album in years.  maybe some casual listeners bought it for the curiousity factor? 

But 4m is not great for a GNR album.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #723 on: July 08, 2009, 11:11:35 AM »

You guys don't think Axl has his own 12 million, I bet that he does

Maybe he does, but i dont see him spending it to make an album.  I just think that GNR need to try and clean up this mess or not many labels will be rushing to work with them.

Why use so much money on a album anyway?

Duff's Loaded used, what? 20 000 dollars and it rocks the fuck outta CD...
No, it doesn't.

peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #724 on: July 08, 2009, 11:21:42 AM »

blaming the band for not doing some things other bands would do is like blaming yourself for liking the band.

What a simplistic statement. What do other bands do? Play the game the right way? The music industry is a business. When you sign on the dotted line certain things are expected of you as in any industry. When people say that Axl does things his own way and wont sell out they fail to see the bigger picture. Who is gonna want to invest money in a band that takes there time making albums and is always problematic? Im sure you want to hear future releases from them as do I but this game also requires compromises on both sides. If CD wouldve sold as well as everybody thought it would he would be holding all the cards. While CD did sell relatively well, it was underwhelming considering what industry standards expected from it.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #725 on: July 08, 2009, 11:25:23 AM »

You guys don't think Axl has his own 12 million, I bet that he does

Maybe he does, but i dont see him spending it to make an album.  I just think that GNR need to try and clean up this mess or not many labels will be rushing to work with them.

Why use so much money on a album anyway?

Duff's Loaded used, what? 20 000 dollars and it rocks the fuck outta CD...
No, it doesn't.

oh yeah, sorry. i forgot..... as if...
what does people fail to understand about Sick?

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #726 on: July 08, 2009, 11:41:13 AM »

What a simplistic statement. What do other bands do? Play the game the right way? The music industry is a business. When you sign on the dotted line certain things are expected of you as in any industry. When people say that Axl does things his own way and wont sell out they fail to see the bigger picture. Who is gonna want to invest money in a band that takes there time making albums and is always problematic? Im sure you want to hear future releases from them as do I but this game also requires compromises on both sides. If CD wouldve sold as well as everybody thought it would he would be holding all the cards. While CD did sell relatively well, it was underwhelming considering what industry standards expected from it.

are you from the record company? just askin...
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #727 on: July 08, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »

No, it doesn't.

Coming from the guy who always goes on about opinions.  Remember, he is entitled to his opinion.  ok

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #728 on: July 08, 2009, 11:46:53 AM »

are you from the record company? just askin...

i dont think he is but, he is in a band/the industry.

fear the juggalo 2
Rocker

« Reply #729 on: July 08, 2009, 11:53:21 AM »

why are you comparing sick to cd? sick is a good rock album. to me its just another rock album. i keep seeing people say how poorly cd sold. last time i checked every album has sold poorly. the only kind of music that still sells well are country artist. even rap/hip hop have taken major hits in the past few years. could gnr have done things differently to sell more albums? sure. i think alot of people are reading way to much into numbers.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #730 on: July 08, 2009, 11:57:53 AM »

if a ghost could workout. baz twitterd about axl.

it was the first GNR album in years.  maybe some casual listeners bought it for the curiousity factor? 

But 4m

and counting...after the initial curiosity factor's gone. that's the point.

and when they tour it will increase.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #731 on: July 08, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »

why are you comparing sick to cd? sick is a good rock album. to me its just another rock album. i keep seeing people say how poorly cd sold. last time i checked every album has sold poorly. the only kind of music that still sells well are country artist. even rap/hip hop have taken major hits in the past few years. could gnr have done things differently to sell more albums? sure. i think alot of people are reading way to much into numbers.

didnt compare them. all i am saying is that a 20 000dollar album was better than the milliondollar album CD..  in my mind.
in my mind CD actualy comes out pretty low in my fav list.
if its on there at all...

yes, Sick is just a rock album. so is CD.  nothing special about it, is it?

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #732 on: July 08, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »

On Gnrevolution, I referenced the Motley Crue book "The Dirt" and how basically they told Motley that until they got Vince back, they wouldn't do anything to promote or back the band. So one has to wonder if the label have washed their hands with Axl and this version of GNR.

I think it is a valid question.

If that were true, why would the label continue to fund the record to the tune of $13 million long after both Slash and Duff left?  That doesn't seem like something you do to "wash your hands" of someone.

Ali

Didn't they close the books a few years ago and refuse to put anymore money into the album though?

In what, 2004?  Again, that was long after both Slash and Duff left.

The continued to fund the record for years and millions after Slash and Duff left.  I don't see how that constitutes divorcing yourself of a situation.

Ali

U aren't a gambler are you?

When u have already put millions into a project, u want that money back. So sometimes u have to put a few more million in just to try and get the thing out so u can recoup your money.

Finally though, there comes a time where u finally say,"I can't keep doing this"

It is like the gambler who keeps betting again and again trying to get out of the hole. Eventually u run out of money. So the record label were betting on Axl. After the 2002 tour and still no album, I think they just quit while they were only 12 million in the hole.

The reason I care about how well CD does is because I want future albums, tours etc etc

If CD is a huge failure, maybe we never get another GNR album.

so I think it is very important for fans to care about the success part of the album and not just "being happy" they get to hear it.

I still don't see how that supports your Motley Crue analogy.  The label continued to fund the record for 8 years after Slash left.  That doesn't say "we want nothing to do with you unless it is the original lineup".  Funding for that long and that much does exactly the opposite of what you're claiming.  It says we WILL back you without the original lineup.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #733 on: July 08, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »

Point being, they got their money back with the Best Buy deal and they aren't sinking anymore money into GNR hence no video/promo

record labels pay for commercials,billboards,videos etc and push their artist to radio.

The label got their cash and washed their hands of this entire thing IMO.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #734 on: July 08, 2009, 12:28:40 PM »

there's definitely something very special about cd and maybe you fail to see it.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #735 on: July 08, 2009, 12:29:33 PM »

Point being, they got their money back with the Best Buy deal and they aren't sinking anymore money into GNR hence no video/promo

record labels pay for commercials,billboards,videos etc and push their artist to radio.

The label got their cash and washed their hands of this entire thing IMO.

That I agree with.  Not "we won't have anything to do with, we won't back, anything other than the original lineup".  I think the lack of label support has more to do with the guaranteed money from Best Buy than anything else.

Ali
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #736 on: July 08, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »

didnt compare them. all i am saying is that a 20 000dollar album was better than the milliondollar album CD..  in my mind.

so you are just here to troll for ex-members?

try a couple sections down.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #737 on: July 08, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »

there's definitely something very special about cd and maybe you fail to see it.

yeah? i always been on Axl's side. i loved the live shows, i loved the new songs from when they played them live at RIRIII, but when the album came, i apparently went blind

and no, i wasnt trolling.
since money was such an argument i felt to say that one can make kick ass albums without using millions.

if Axl is to fund a new album himself, he would probably go for that route. i hope. that way he earns more money to.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #738 on: July 08, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »

yeah? i always been on Axl's side. i loved the live shows, i loved the new songs from when they played them live at RIRIII, but when the album came, i apparently went blind

i know. i know your posts. and i don't get why you don't find something special for you on cd.
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #739 on: July 08, 2009, 01:15:46 PM »

i know. i know your posts. and i don't get why you don't find something special for you on cd.

Can you explain what's so special about it?  Honest question with hopefully an honest answer forthcoming.

And before anyone gets on their high horse, I do like the album.  It's pretty good.  Not great but good.  There are some definite throw away songs on there to me.  But there are some really good songs on it as well.  I really dig prostitute, shacklers, chinese d, better.

I just don't see it as the masterpiece most fanboys and girls feel it is to them. 
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: