Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 09:06:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What is it people fail to understand about Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is it people fail to understand about Chinese Democracy?  (Read 186998 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #580 on: July 02, 2009, 01:17:13 PM »

One other thing on what people may fail to understand about Chinese Democracy is that I truly believe this album is a grower.  I consider myself to be a pretty hardcore fan but I didn't love all these songs right off the bat.  I'd say I like SOD, IRS, and Scraped pretty much right away but the others took some time to sink in, and that's for a huge fan.  Someone impartial isn't likely to give it that much of a chance unfortunately especially if it's not crammed down their throats.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #581 on: July 02, 2009, 01:19:01 PM »

This is the thing, there hasn't much "hating" on this thread at all.  Saying an album is "OK", or "not bad", or "quite good", or "good, but not brilliant" is very different from hating it.  I think it's a little absurd that some people on this forum seem to class anything other than intense love for this album as hatred.
Again, you're being defensive. Nobody is calling anyone a "hater" just because they don't think is the best thing since sliced bread. We're talking about some of the people who keeps trashing it over and over.

I do like Mars Volta and I really enjoyed Kid A and Amnesiac.  Some more mainstream stuff that was done before CD that include some or all of those elements are NIN, Rob/White Zombie, Billy Corgan, Tool, U2's Pop to name a few
None of them had all of the elements I said TOGHETER, saving for maybe Tool - which is not really a mainstream band AFAIK.

Now you're splitting hairs.  Are you a politician? lol

I consider Tool mainstream.  They have videos, they're on the charts, big and successful tours.  That's pretty mainstream to me.  Queens of the Stone Age might fit the bill too, at least some of their stuff.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #582 on: July 02, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »

guess afd was so innovatory with some ground breaking sounds back then.  Tongue

where were you when i got called names for favouring the 21th century GNR?

Well im here now and i dont agree with the name calling. Its your opinion.

what opinion?
I'll call you when anyone attacks CD fanatics.  Wink

AFD was groundbreaking back in the day.  Its rawness and grittiness set it worlds apart from bands like Slaughter, White Lion, Poison and other pussified bands of the time.  The only thing that came close to it was Jane's Addiction's Nothing Shocking.

in that sense cd also can be groundbreaking. mind you initially afd wasn't a mainstream hit for a while .
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #583 on: July 02, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »

guess afd was so innovatory with some ground breaking sounds back then.  Tongue

where were you when i got called names for favouring the 21th century GNR?

Well im here now and i dont agree with the name calling. Its your opinion.

what opinion?
I'll call you when anyone attacks CD fanatics.  Wink

AFD was groundbreaking back in the day.  Its rawness and grittiness set it worlds apart from bands like Slaughter, White Lion, Poison and other pussified bands of the time.  The only thing that came close to it was Jane's Addiction's Nothing Shocking.

in that sense cd also can be groundbreaking. mind you initially afd wasn't a mainstream hit for a while .

Yeah, I know it took awhile to take off, I was alive then Grin.

It took off because they did vids, singles, appearances, basically, everything they are failing to do now.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #584 on: July 02, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »

vids, single hits( scom and pc), appearances didn't happen early with afd either. why not wait and see.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #585 on: July 02, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »

They toured the shit out of that album.  I saw them in a 5k seat venue with Udo from Accept opening and Zodiac Mindwarp.  Then BAM they blew up big time.

Sitting around and feeling sorry for yourself in your mansion is not going to get the job done.
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #586 on: July 02, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »

vids, single hits( scom and pc), appearances didn't happen early with afd either. why not wait and see.

But they toured relentlessly. As do most bands who are starting out and want to make an impact.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #587 on: July 02, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »

I consider Tool mainstream.  They have videos, they're on the charts, big and successful tours.  
So I don't think its mainstream outside US. And anyone can make videos nowadays and put it on YouTube. Tongue

That's pretty mainstream to me.  Queens of the Stone Age might fit the bill too, at least some of their stuff.
QOTSA are awesome, but they don't have those elements like I said.

They toured the shit out of that album.  I saw them in a 5k seat venue with Udo from Accept opening and Zodiac Mindwarp.  Then BAM they blew up big time.

Sitting around and feeling sorry for yourself in your mansion is not going to get the job done.
And what makes you think they'll never tour again anymore?

gilld1
Banned
VIP

« Reply #588 on: July 02, 2009, 03:19:55 PM »

I consider Tool mainstream.  They have videos, they're on the charts, big and successful tours.  
So I don't think its mainstream outside US. And anyone can make videos nowadays and put it on YouTube. Tongue

That's pretty mainstream to me.  Queens of the Stone Age might fit the bill too, at least some of their stuff.
QOTSA are awesome, but they don't have those elements like I said.

And what makes you think they'll never tour again anymore?

I never said that they wouldn't tour anymore.  I'm jst saying that the current approach isn't getting the job done.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #589 on: July 02, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »

i said

why not wait and see.

meanwhile we can discuss what people should understand about cd, what we've understood about cd so far and so forth.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:51:56 PM by ppbebe » Logged
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #590 on: July 02, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »

See but they are what they are opinions. Why should people be called negative for posting an opinion. Thats what I dont understand. When people say that people who dont like the album just dont get it or dont like it because of there bias towards Axl I think Its preposterous. To me it comes down to music.....either you like it or you dont. I like CD. My cousin who is my bandmate doesnt. We are both GNR fans. I dont look at it as him not getting the album. Just not his cup of tea. He was a fan of the bluesier version. Im a fan of both. When you first hear a band ( at least for me) its the music that usually gets you to notice them. Then the lyrics. To him the music just didnt grab him. I dont piss on him for that.  

Well said!

I know a lot of CASUAL GNR fans and not many of them have bought the album.  I guess they're waiting for GNR to win them over.  Generally, thats what bands need to do to get noticed.
That's fine, those who don't like the album are voicing their opinions.  Those who like the album are defending it and voicing THEIR opinion.  If you come on here and say you don't like the album, are we all just supposed to sit quietly here and say nothing?  It doesn't work that way.  That's why you get a response, and why you in turn give a response.  It's called a discussion, and sometimes it gets a little heated.  Sorry if I sound condescending, I'm just not sure why this is such a hard subject to grasp.
what is there to defend? I was just making a point in my post.  Everything I said, I was quoting from members on this board.  trust me, I am just as big of a gnr fan as anyone. There are some on this board that think it is their life's work to defend axl and this new group against even the slightetst negative post. I mean, if someone likes Slash's work over bumble's, BIG DEAL, and vice versa, who cares? in the end, we are ALL gnr fans. Like we all have to like the same songs
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #591 on: July 02, 2009, 05:48:45 PM »

I don't think Slash is a big deal. Do you see me on the ex-members section whining about him not being other? This is the current band section, hence why people care enough to post other things about them to discuss it (which, BTW, usually get less people replying).

And also, we're not ALL gnr fans. There's a lot of people here who doesn't even recognize this band as GNR, so I say they are just fans of the past. Still, they love to post here just for the sake of bitching about something.

freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #592 on: July 02, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »

I don't think Slash is a big deal. Do you see me on the ex-members section whining about him not being other? This is the current band section, hence why people care enough to post other things about them to discuss it (which, BTW, usually get less people replying).

And also, we're not ALL gnr fans. There's a lot of people here who doesn't even recognize this band as GNR, so I say they are just fans of the past. Still, they love to post here just for the sake of bitching about something.
I agree and disagree :-)   There are SOME who will find any reason not to like CD. If you like Axl, how can you not like at least 1 song?  But we are all still gnr fans.  Where I get pissed off is when people start slamming the old guys like they were nothing.  EVERYTHING today, including this forum, is here becasue of the original band, their great music, and how big they were.  YOU personally can have your OPINION about slash not being a big deal.  But the reality of the matter is, he was and still is a HUGE deal.  He is a rock legend, you personally dont have to like him, it doenst change the facts.  When we go to a gnr show, 5 new songs MIGHT be played, the rest of the music is partly becasue of slash. You have to acknowlegde at least that. Again, you may PREFER the new band covering his material, but it is HIS material.  I drive many miles per day for my job listening to radio.  I hear GNR songs all day, 99.9999% are old material.  Where is the new stuff?  They basically have stopped playing any new stuff.  Is that best buys fault? 
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #593 on: July 02, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »

The video for "Jungle" was released to MTV in August of '87. They didn't play it much at first, but by late September of '87 it was one of the top ten "Dial MTV" requests each day, which prompted me to buy the record in early October. There was a large gap (nine months) between the "Jungle" video and "SCOM", which world-premiered on MTV in May of '88. Before the "SCOM" video, MTV was already airing the Ritz live show they filmed in February. So the band was getting moderate exposure, even early on. It seems like nothing's going to happen in the near future with this CD in terms of more singles, any videos, and the "always in the works" tour.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #594 on: July 02, 2009, 08:03:43 PM »

I agree and disagree :-)   There are SOME who will find any reason not to like CD. If you like Axl, how can you not like at least 1 song?  But we are all still gnr fans.  Where I get pissed off is when people start slamming the old guys like they were nothing.  EVERYTHING today, including this forum, is here becasue of the original band, their great music, and how big they were.  YOU personally can have your OPINION about slash not being a big deal.  But the reality of the matter is, he was and still is a HUGE deal.  He is a rock legend, you personally dont have to like him, it doenst change the facts.  When we go to a gnr show, 5 new songs MIGHT be played, the rest of the music is partly becasue of slash. You have to acknowlegde at least that. Again, you may PREFER the new band covering his material, but it is HIS material.  I drive many miles per day for my job listening to radio.  I hear GNR songs all day, 99.9999% are old material.  Where is the new stuff?  They basically have stopped playing any new stuff.  Is that best buys fault? 
Easy. I was just talking about how things works here. As much as I disagree with a lot of what you said, if we're really going into that, this thread will flush down the toilet. Better stop it.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #595 on: July 03, 2009, 02:02:13 AM »

Another thing is that gnr used to be sexy as hell, musicly, and romantic.

This album is a bit void of that feel, Better is onto something here tho. Guess it old vs new all over again. hihi

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #596 on: July 03, 2009, 12:28:29 PM »

Another thing is that gnr used to be sexy as hell, musicly, and romantic.

This album is a bit void of that feel, Better is onto something here tho. Guess it old vs new all over again. hihi

Hot HTGTH girls say itw is damn sexy and chris even has sextapes.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #597 on: July 03, 2009, 12:39:30 PM »

The video for "Jungle" was released to MTV in August of '87. They didn't play it much at first, but by late September of '87 it was one of the top ten "Dial MTV" requests each day, which prompted me to buy the record in early October. There was a large gap (nine months) between the "Jungle" video and "SCOM", which world-premiered on MTV in May of '88. Before the "SCOM" video, MTV was already airing the Ritz live show they filmed in February. So the band was getting moderate exposure, even early on. It seems like nothing's going to happen in the near future with this CD in terms of more singles, any videos, and the "always in the works" tour.

Back they mtv was there for music. now there is the internet and bloggers have cd songs on their blogs.
plus don't forget rock band 2 and the dl contents and the decaprio film. those moderate exposures. 
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #598 on: July 03, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »

I agree and disagree :-)   There are SOME who will find any reason not to like CD. If you like Axl, how can you not like at least 1 song?  But we are all still gnr fans.  Where I get pissed off is when people start slamming the old guys like they were nothing.  EVERYTHING today, including this forum, is here becasue of the original band, their great music, and how big they were.  YOU personally can have your OPINION about slash not being a big deal.  But the reality of the matter is, he was and still is a HUGE deal.  He is a rock legend, you personally dont have to like him, it doenst change the facts.  When we go to a gnr show, 5 new songs MIGHT be played, the rest of the music is partly becasue of slash. You have to acknowlegde at least that. Again, you may PREFER the new band covering his material, but it is HIS material.  I drive many miles per day for my job listening to radio.  I hear GNR songs all day, 99.9999% are old material.  Where is the new stuff?  They basically have stopped playing any new stuff.  Is that best buys fault? 

you do know there are other sections of this board where you can babble on about that guy?
fear the juggalo 2
Rocker

« Reply #599 on: July 04, 2009, 12:09:47 AM »

i dont think the new u2 songs get very much radio play. does that make it a bad album?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: