Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 10:47:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228480 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Izzy IS going to be on Slash's solo album!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Izzy IS going to be on Slash's solo album!  (Read 18795 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2009, 06:13:20 PM »

I think everyone is making too much out of this.   Roll Eyes  So, Izzy's playing on a song.  Adler's going to be on a song.  So what?  I think it's awesome but it in no way makes it a GnR collaboration.  Duff's not going to be on it, I'm sure.   

Where does the fact that Izzy is contributing something and Adler is contributing something make it a potential opportunity for some "reunion"?  Say what you want about Slash, but I don't think he would do that and I don't think there's anything more to it than a couple of people he's played with in the past contributing to his album in some way. 
I agree.  People seem to think Axl is the only reason a reunion will never happen.  While he's obviously a major player I'm not sure Slash would want to go down that road either, especially with what Axl has said about him recently.  Really the only person we know for sure who'd be interested in a reunion is Steven.  The others seem quite content with what they're doing right now.

Enough reunion talk though.  I would be interested in hearing a Slash/Izzy song, but I wouldn't expect anything otherworldly.

this may come as a surprise, but in the 3 pages of this thread, you, lyn1961, and Faldo are the only ones who mentioned the word reunion  hihi (Ctrl+F)
Maybe it wasn't said with the word reunion, but it certainly was alluded to tenfold.  4/5 GNR, real GNR, the real AFD/UYI sound.  If that's not along the lines of reunion talk, I don't know what is.

nobody said "Real GNR" just it was 4/5 of the GNR afd/uyi lineup and if those 4 recorded a song it would be an AFD GNR reunion almost.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »

I think it is cool with just the 3 of them playing, or even just Slash/Izzy Slash/adler on a song each.  4 of them together would be cool, but it is still gonna be a lesser version of GNR without Axl on vocals.  I'm looking forward to it either way.  Plus, it is a Slash solo album, so he is probably trying to branch out more and play with other ppl.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2009, 06:22:29 PM »

I just think it would make sense if u were gonna have adler and izzy on the album to put them on the same track. That would be another good selling point.

first track from the appetite rhythm section in 20 years.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2009, 07:43:51 PM »

I just think it would make sense if u were gonna have adler and izzy on the album to put them on the same track. That would be another good selling point.

first track from the appetite rhythm section in 20 years.

i agree
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »

I think everyone is making too much out of this.   Roll Eyes  So, Izzy's playing on a song.  Adler's going to be on a song.  So what?  I think it's awesome but it in no way makes it a GnR collaboration.  Duff's not going to be on it, I'm sure.   

Where does the fact that Izzy is contributing something and Adler is contributing something make it a potential opportunity for some "reunion"?  Say what you want about Slash, but I don't think he would do that and I don't think there's anything more to it than a couple of people he's played with in the past contributing to his album in some way. 
I agree.  People seem to think Axl is the only reason a reunion will never happen.  While he's obviously a major player I'm not sure Slash would want to go down that road either, especially with what Axl has said about him recently.  Really the only person we know for sure who'd be interested in a reunion is Steven.  The others seem quite content with what they're doing right now.

Enough reunion talk though.  I would be interested in hearing a Slash/Izzy song, but I wouldn't expect anything otherworldly.

this may come as a surprise, but in the 3 pages of this thread, you, lyn1961, and Faldo are the only ones who mentioned the word reunion  hihi (Ctrl+F)
Maybe it wasn't said with the word reunion, but it certainly was alluded to tenfold.  4/5 GNR, real GNR, the real AFD/UYI sound.  If that's not along the lines of reunion talk, I don't know what is.

the facts are the facts hihi
not what was alluded to
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2009, 11:28:13 PM »

not what was alluded to

I think it was YOU that brought up whether Slash would call Axl to sing on a track.  Is that not along the lines of reunion talk?  I certainly think so.  Sorry if I misinterpreted that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2009, 03:12:33 PM »

not what was alluded to

I think it was YOU that brought up whether Slash would call Axl to sing on a track.  Is that not along the lines of reunion talk?  I certainly think so.  Sorry if I misinterpreted that.

it's cool Grin
but never insinuated or said that word!

definite misinterpretation of my intent w/ that statement/question you referenced.......but it's all good

my intent was just a one off, olive branch, type situation - you know, make peace, ease hard feelings, etc.  --- ever have a bad split w/ a friend where you don't speak to them in quite a long while and try to make ammends? anyone remember messier burying the hatchett w/ the rangers when he resigned? or do most people here like all-time, generation long bitter feuds like shakespeae used to write about?
+Rocker+
I want to hea... have Slash's baby
Rocker

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2009, 07:57:41 PM »

So, Guns and Roses on Slash's album. Great.  peace

say what?   Is Bumblefoot making an appearance?  Did i miss something?

I think so, but never it's tooo late. First of all, try to get AFD, Lies and Illusions I & II.

I have all those albums, but that doesn't explain why you are making retarded and FALSE statements about Guns N' Roses appearing on this album.   No current band members (as far as we know) appear on the album.   Just don't say stupid shit like that.

Is Slash, Izzy Stradlin y Steven Adler on the record!!!. Most of Guns n' Roses music came from Slash and Izzy mind. Guns n' Roses it is much more than Chinese Democracy or "present". No matter band, song or record names, just matter the musicians, if I have Slash and Izzy working on a new song, I have the same feeling and essence of Appettite, Lies and Illusion I & II, in other word, Guns n' Roses.

Do not try to change my mind with your histerical GNR vision, I like current GNR, but I didn't know the band five years ago.

I love you Axl, but I'm also one of "those" Slash supporters haha...
www.rockinslashforum.com
Soon: www.rockin-slash.com
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2009, 04:02:58 AM »

The Izzy-Slash chemistry is much-vaunted and yet by the time they mixed UYI it was generally forsaken, Slash overlaying rhythm guitar tracks over Izzy's.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2009, 06:55:28 AM »

Yeah.. Izzy's guitar is burried mostly.

I remember Izzy saying in an interview post AFD but pre UYI what he'd do differently on a next album, he said he'd use a half stack / go smaller this time around and would like to bring out a little more guitar sound difference compared to Slash. Which imo you can hear more on UYI, where he mostly used Carvin amps (which Mike Clink wasn't fond of).

I'm very curious to hear what the Izzy / Slash combo would sound like these days, especially the 2001 Izzy/Slash/Duff/Taz recordings Cool The thing with Izzy's albums is you always have a clear and upfront guitarsound going on, much more then on GN'R and VR albums.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2009, 07:07:26 AM »

Didn't Izzy not really show up for a lot of the sessions though which is why Slash had to do more guitars?

Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »

I don't know, Izzy's name appears in most song credits.

I actually reading an interview of Izzy round the time his first album was released and he was recalling listening to the Illusion album for the 1st and wondering : where the fuck is my guitar?
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2009, 08:17:50 AM »

Didn't Izzy not really show up for a lot of the sessions though which is why Slash had to do more guitars?

There are three things about this I've read in interviews, from both Axl's, Slash and Izzy's side:

AXL:
Izzy was around, did all the basic tracks. But what happened was that Izzy's a one take guy, he'd lay down his guitartrack and that was it. When Axl asked to re-record something he'd refuse saying he'd already layed it down and thought it was fine.

SLASH:
He was only around for basic tracks, sometimes he wanted Izzy to play more aggressive but Izzy wouldn't do that. That's why Slash plays all guitars on Locomotive for example and also Coma, but Coma Izzy couldn't play cause of it's structure. He kept forgetting all the parts cause it had a mathmatical structure / never the same. Izzy also confirmed this about Coma. Slash said they ended up using most of Izzy's scratch tracks and he removed Izzy's parts by his own where it wasn't to their standard.

IZZY:
Izzy said when they where recording he'd show up at 12 o' clock at the studio like they all agreed, waited for 4 hours but nobody was there so he simply left again. He said he was there but all the others were either late or didn't show up. And he said that with Axl he was always late, but refused to wait on him cause if he waited till he showed up then next time he'd show up even more late. Basic tracks for UYI only took two weeks and it took a year before the vocals were finished, so Izzy went back to Indiana and painted his house (no joke, he said this  Grin ).

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:19:24 AM by IzzyDutch » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2009, 08:53:38 AM »

There are three things about this I've read in interviews, from both Axl's, Slash and Izzy's side:

AXL:
Izzy was around, did all the basic tracks. But what happened was that Izzy's a one take guy, he'd lay down his guitartrack and that was it. When Axl asked to re-record something he'd refuse saying he'd already layed it down and thought it was fine.

SLASH:
He was only around for basic tracks, sometimes he wanted Izzy to play more aggressive but Izzy wouldn't do that. That's why Slash plays all guitars on Locomotive for example and also Coma, but Coma Izzy couldn't play cause of it's structure. He kept forgetting all the parts cause it had a mathmatical structure / never the same. Izzy also confirmed this about Coma. Slash said they ended up using most of Izzy's scratch tracks and he removed Izzy's parts by his own where it wasn't to their standard.

IZZY:
Izzy said when they where recording he'd show up at 12 o' clock at the studio like they all agreed, waited for 4 hours but nobody was there so he simply left again. He said he was there but all the others were either late or didn't show up. And he said that with Axl he was always late, but refused to wait on him cause if he waited till he showed up then next time he'd show up even more late. Basic tracks for UYI only took two weeks and it took a year before the vocals were finished, so Izzy went back to Indiana and painted his house (no joke, he said this  Grin ).

hihi hihi hihi That is a fantastic story and so Izzy

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »

I think its all Slash on Don't Cry as well.  I liked Izzy's "loose" feel.  Its how they got that Stonesey feel.  Maybe it got too sterile with Slash playing it so "perfect".  But you can say that about both albums.  That being said, I still love UYI, its just different that appetite.  Coma and Locomotive are two of the finest songs on those albums.  Along with Civil War, another song were Izzy isn't on the recording. 
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2009, 10:38:30 AM »

Why was Mike Clink not fond of Carvin amps? Is the sound they generate a love it/hate it affair, or just really hard to mix?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2009, 10:49:42 AM »

Actually, I think Izzy's guitar is on Don't Cry and also on Civil War although the latter one says otherwise in the credits (just like Coma and Double Talkin' Jive which have incorrect credits aswell, Izzy doesn't play the solo or rhythm on Coma) Smiley

I don't have any way to prove it, but on Civil War for example you have those three notes played on Izzy's side during the verse, if you compare the playing of those notes to Civil War farm aid then to me it sounds similar in sound and style like on the album. I think Slash would sound a bit different on it. With Don't Cry, that one's Izzy's song musically and I think plays on it.

I like Izzy's loose feel aswell, songs like Don't Damn Me, it's like he's deliberatly trying to make the song less aggressive and more funky with his parts.

@ Axl'sMainMan, It was mentioned somewhere in a Mike Clink interview, he only mentioned how Izzy was messing around with Carvin amps which he wasn't a fan of. There are some adds out there with Izzy playing a Carvin amp, he used a Carvin XV-112EV Studio Tube Amp.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »

i use to have a Carvin stack and I wasn't a fan either

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »

Actually, I think Izzy's guitar is on Don't Cry and also on Civil War although the latter one says otherwise in the credits (just like Coma and Double Talkin' Jive which have incorrect credits aswell, Izzy doesn't play the solo or rhythm on Coma) Smiley

I don't have any way to prove it, but on Civil War for example you have those three notes played on Izzy's side during the verse, if you compare the playing of those notes to Civil War farm aid then to me it sounds similar in sound and style like on the album. I think Slash would sound a bit different on it. With Don't Cry, that one's Izzy's song musically and I think plays on it.

I like Izzy's loose feel aswell, songs like Don't Damn Me, it's like he's deliberatly trying to make the song less aggressive and more funky with his parts.

@ Axl'sMainMan, It was mentioned somewhere in a Mike Clink interview, he only mentioned how Izzy was messing around with Carvin amps which he wasn't a fan of. There are some adds out there with Izzy playing a Carvin amp, he used a Carvin XV-112EV Studio Tube Amp.

You may be right... I just remember reading Slash had to re-record some of Izzy's parts and clean them up.... I don't know...  Slash was MUCH more involved on the guitars on the Illusion albums.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: