Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:19:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The pirate bay trial/verdict
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The pirate bay trial/verdict  (Read 8192 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 08:17:40 AM »

So if The Pirate Bay was an ebay style marketplace for stolen cars or illegal drugs, but kept no inventory and wasn't directly responsible for the transfer of money there would be no legal wrong doing on their part?

They have created a hub (for lack of a better term) for distribution of stolen material (music, videos, software, and literature), while they don't store it, they have made it easier to get. It may be different in other countries, in the US that is text book accessory...

But the flip side is:

Your VCR or DVD burner is capable of copying copyrighted materials...you could copy a DVD, or even just a pay per view movie (which you have limited license for) and sell it.

Does the fact the technology ENABLES users to commit illegal acts mean that the technology itself is responsible for the way people use it?  I'm not so sure...and the Supreme Court in the US hasn't been, either.

http://w2.eff.org/legal/cases/betamax/

There are many legit uses of peer to peer for file sharing.  Every time you DL a World of Warcraft patch, you're likely using peer to peer to do it.  I think the one issue with the pirate bay's portal is that it was so obvious in it's purpose and intent...but I'm still not sure the decision will hold up under appeal (if it gets appealed).  We'll see...it's an interesting case.  More interesting because it's being tried outside the U.S., but has such a far flung, international, effect.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:21:33 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »

So if The Pirate Bay was an ebay style marketplace for stolen cars or illegal drugs, but kept no inventory and wasn't directly responsible for the transfer of money there would be no legal wrong doing on their part?

They have created a hub (for lack of a better term) for distribution of stolen material (music, videos, software, and literature), while they don't store it, they have made it easier to get. It may be different in other countries, in the US that is text book accessory...

But the flip side is:

Your VCR or DVD burner is capable of copying copyrighted materials...you could copy a DVD, or even just a pay per view movie (which you have limited license for) and sell it.

Does the fact the technology ENABLES users to commit illegal acts mean that the technology itself is responsible for the way people use it?  I'm not so sure...and the Supreme Court in the US hasn't been, either.

http://w2.eff.org/legal/cases/betamax/

There are many legit uses of peer to peer for file sharing.  Every time you DL a World of Warcraft patch, you're likely using peer to peer to do it.  I think the one issue with the pirate bay's portal is that it was so obvious in it's purpose and intent...but I'm still not sure the decision will hold up under appeal (if it gets appealed).  We'll see...it's an interesting case.  More interesting because it's being tried outside the U.S., but has such a far flung, international, effect.

The issue I see is more in the intent of "The Pirate Bay" than the technology, afterall they named the site based on piracy.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 12:21:07 PM »

A more dangerous issue is that media and art can be dependant on state-support due to private markets running out of buisness.

Thats too much power to the governing-system imo.
And the effect of this can be, as I pointed out with the China-comment, a more restrictive accessibillity to media.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2009, 09:20:09 AM »

Biased Pirate Bay Judge Judged by More Biased Judges

http://torrentfreak.com/biased-pirate-bay-judge-judged-by-more-biased-judges-090520/

Pirate Bay judge Tomas Norstr?m?s objectivity has been called into doubt because of his ties to national and international pro-copyright lobby groups. Furthermore, one of the defense lawyers claimed to have evidence that Norstr?m was handpicked and not assigned to the case randomly.

To investigate these accusations of bias, the appeal court appointed a judge, Ulrika Ihrfelt. Her task is to decide whether or not Norstr?m?s verdict could have been biased since this issue must be resolved before they will look into the appeal request. If it?s determined that Norstr?m was indeed biased, the case will be resubmitted to the district court for retrial, meaning that an appeal is not needed at this stage.

However, soon after the appointment of Ulrika Ihrfelt, it became known that she too had been a member of the same pro-copyright organizations as the ?biased? judge. The appointment was criticized by several judicial analysts who said she wasn?t fit either. Judicial praxis dictates that the court must not only be unbiased, but also be BELIEVED to be unbiased, which is clearly not the case here.

As a consequence and in order to avoid more negative press, the appeal court sent out a press release today in which they announce that Ihrfelt has been taken off the case. She has been replaced by three new judges from a separate division of the court.

In the press release, the appeal court writes: ?The reasons for this is that the question of whether the original judge was biased needs to be tried by other judges other than those that later may have been given the case. Furthermore, because of the content of the claim of bias, it has been deemed proper that the question should be answered by a division that is not specialized in copyright.?

?None of the three judges are or have been members of the [pro-copyright] organizations in question,? the appeal court announced. But is this really the case?

With a simple Google search Pirate Bay?s Peter Sunde has already discovered that one of the replacements, Anders Eka, is connected to the The Stockholm Center for Commercial law, together with movie industry lawyers Monique Wasted and Peter Danowsky who represented the music industry in the Pirate Bay trial.

Nevertheless, the appeal court does not intent to replace the new judge(s). ?The group Anders Eka is member of has no connection to copyright issues and the interests that are present in the case. I cannot see how this specific connection could lead to that Anders Eka isn?t suitable to try the question of bias,? Fredrik Wers?ll, the president of the appeal court said.

The court will not look at the appeal case before the question of Norstr?m?s bias is settled. The bias issue will be given priority and should be settled ?in a few weeks at the maximum?, according to the appeal court president.

With all the commotion and judicial incompetence displayed after the Pirate Bay trial it seems almost unthinkable that a retrial won?t be granted. It is therefore no surprise that the entertainment industries try to get some cash off the defendants before it?s too late.

Thats just hilarious.  hihi smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: