Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:24:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228528 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Spin Magazine Interview: 'Tough Questions For Duff McKagan'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spin Magazine Interview: 'Tough Questions For Duff McKagan'  (Read 2396 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: April 18, 2009, 02:58:53 PM »

Tough questions for Duff McKagan

May 2009

You famously met Slash for the first time in 1984 at Canter's Deli in Los Angeles. What did you order? ~ You would think that somebody would have asked me that over all the years, but no one ever has. Sadly, I don't remember.

Come on! ~ I don't think we had any money, so we probably didn't order anything. The owner was a childhood friend of Slash's though, so he might have sent us over some soup.

As guitarist nicknames go, does Slash come in below or above the Edge? ~ Depends. I don't know how the Edge got his name, do you? It supposedly has something to do with his angluar facial features. ~Wow. Then Slash is way cooler, if that's it. But I think the Edge is killer, man. The Joshua Tree was the soundtrack of my life when we were making Appetite.

Seriously?~Yeah. I listened to The Joshua Tree probably ten times a day. That was THE record, man. Still is, like, a top ten record-top five maybe.

That's surprising, for some reason.~Why is that surprising? Axl's favorite record in 1987 was Faith, by George Michael. [Rhythm guitarist] Izzy [Stradlin] was into reggae. Actually, when we were recording Appetite, Izzy would play over and over the Georgia Satellites. It was like, "Dude, enough."

Thanks. Now I'm going to have "Keep Your Hnads to Yourself" stuck in my head.~You know what's a great song that will be stuck in your head if I say it? "Single Ladies" by Beyonce. [Laughs] Killer song. Isn't that a great song?

No comment. Got any other shocking gulity pleasures?~I saw Katy Perry a couple weeks ago. She's fucking amazing.

Why do you like her?~Shes quirky. Takes the piss out of herself. And she plays really cool acoustic guitar, too. I went expecting nothing more than making my 11-year-old daughter, Grace, happy, but she blew me away.

Cool. Can you give me a five-word reivew of Chinese Democracy?~Axl"s voice sounds killer.

You have one more word. ~ On...

Nice save. Do you have his number in your cellphone?~I do not.

Do you wish that everyone would just get along?~Obviously, yeah, I do. But I have no control over that. Look, I saw some really amazing stuff with Axl. We worked really well together. We were good friends. And I hope to perhaps have that friendship back one day, although it's not something I wait around for. But I look forward to it.

Are you and Slash more likely to reunite with him, or with Scott Weiland?~Axl, if I could only choose between the two. Some bad shit happened at the end of that last Velvet Revolver tour. It was brutal.

What went down?~There were late gigs and stuff that reminded me of [the old days in GNR]. Plus, I'm a sober guy, and I was trying to stay sober and honor our fans. I just wanted it to be over. But after saying all of that, I do have a lot of respect for Scott.

I assume that Loaded is a reference to your sobriety?~Yeah. When we formed [in 1998], I thought, "Oh, that's a funny name," because I had just gotten sober. Actually, Sober was on the list, too. [Laughs]

Looking back, can you believe how wasted you'd get?~I was pretty together until the middle of 1990. And that's when the wheels fell off and the cocaine came in. That's when beer wouldn't do.

Not strong enough?~Not at all. And then you drink too much vodka, you need some more coke. And then you're too high on coke, you do something else to take the edge off. And then you're...Yeah. You get my drift. But it happens. Some people make it, some people don't.

Well, you made it.~Yeah. I'm in extra innings, man. I shouldn't be here.

http://www.spin.com/magazine

Thanks to duffdiver for the interview

The link is now up on their site:

http://www.spin.com/articles/inquisition-tough-questions-duff-mckagan

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:58:35 AM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:20:03 AM »

Cool interview. Props for posting.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 12:21:39 PM »

Another interview:

Duff McKagan: The Cream Interview

By Adam Gold

Friday, Apr. 17 2009

For those of you who have an appetite for beer, hot wings and destruction, you're in luck. Guns 'n' Roses bassist Duff McKagan, with his resurrected band Loaded, will be appearing tomorrow night at the Cannery Ballroom as part of 102.9 The Buzz's "free beer and hot wings hootenany." I had the opportunity to interview Duff (via email, questions subject to management approval) this week, and while he didn't answer questions about the recent release of Chinese Democracy, the probability of a real Guns 'n' Roses reunion or whether or not he was the inspiration for Homer Simpon's beer of choice, he did talk about blogging, the financial crisis and jamming with John Rich. Loaded's new record Sick is in stores now.

Nashville Cream: After a 7-year hiatus, what made you decide to resurrect Loaded?

Duff McKagan: Well, Loaded didnt plan on taking 7 years in between records! Velvet Revolver just kind of happened out of the blue. Loaded is NOT a side-project or part-time band. We are here to stay!

NC: After riding shotgun with Axl Rose and Scott Weiland, how does it feel to front your own band?

DM: Singing and fronting a band has been something I have done off and on since my early punk days in Seattle. I had a record in '93 called Believe in Me and then was in a band (Neurotic Outsiders) with Steve Jones from the [Sex] Pistols in '95.

NC: I see that you are a blogger for our sister paper, The Seattle Weekly. How did you get into writing? After having been written about for so many years, how does it feel to be on the other side?

DM: My newfound writing career for the Seattle Weekly and Playboy just kind of happened out of nowhere. It sure is a challenge having two deadlines a week and touring a record and having a family...there is never a dull moment for sure!

NC: You write a financial column for Playboy; what is your proposed solution to the economic crisis as it relates to print media?

DM: I dont really have a formulated economic recovery plan but instead read a lot of history and realize that all things are cyclical. Try Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes.

NC: What have been your memorable experiences in Nashville?

DM: I have made some great friends in Nashville including Trey Bruce, Jeff Steele, James Otto, and Jon Rich. I had a great time a couple years ago getting onstage with the Mafia. Completely inspiring!

And lastly, Duff's message all you Cream readers: "Go out and get the Loaded Sick record. Rock is alive and well motherfuckers!"

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/2009/04/duff_mckagan_the_cream_intervi.php

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
gunner22
Rocker

Nicko McBrain > all

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:09:54 PM »

Are you and Slash more likely to reunite with him, or with Scott Weiland?~Axl, if I could only choose between the two. Some bad shit happened at the end of that last Velvet Revolver tour. It was brutal.

That surprised me. A lot...

I SAW THEM - Belo Horizonte, Brazil - March 10th 2010
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 10:55:52 AM »

That surprised me. A lot...
I read it as duff would rather reunite with axl then scott, wont happen
Oasis1
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 01:44:03 PM »

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2009/04/29/9289751-wenn-story.html

Rockers Duff McKagan and Slash would go back to playing with Axl Rose before reteaming with former Velvet Revolver frontman Scott Weiland.

The duo are still looking for Weiland's replacement a year after sacking the singer following a much-publicized bust-up - but there's no way they'd consider recalling the rock star and trying to work through their differences.

McKagan and Slash would rather reconcile with their hot-headed former Guns N' Roses frontman, Rose, first - despite the fact that their fall-out with the singer remains one of the rock world's most legendary.

Bassist McKagan insists he and Slash would work with Rose again if they had to pick between the two temperamental singers.

McKagan says, "Some bad s**t happened at the end of the last Velvet Revolver tour. It was brutal.

"There were late gigs... I just wanted it to be over."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: