Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 06:30:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Should marijuana be legal?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should marijuana be legal?  (Read 8637 times)
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« on: April 03, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »

This subject comes up often, but I'm not talking about medicinal marijuana. I'm talking about decriminalization and taxation of pot nationwide. There would be benefits and negatives to this, of course.
But how many people who have tried it are afraid of what might happen, should it ever be legalized?

The Boston Herald had a good article about this:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view/2009_03_29_Joint_resolution:_Taxing_pot_just_makes_cents/srvc=home&position=3

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »

Yes, not because I believe in it passionately but because I see it as so fucking pointless to send people to jail for something so harmless.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Annie
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:53:58 PM »

yes, but people should adhere to the same rules of not smoking in public places where second hand smoke can be inhaled.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »

I listened to an interesting discussion the other day, and the speaker was quick to point out "de-criminalization" is different than "legalization."  If you de-criminalize it, he explained, the cops can still enforce the law and confiscate it, but there would be no arrest made or fine imposed. 

Personally, I have never used marijuana.  That said, I don't understand jailing people for possession of a drug.  It makes no sense.  Now, if that person committed a real crime that hurt someone other than themselves, arrest the bastard. 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gunner22
Rocker

Nicko McBrain > all

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:12:53 PM »

I forgot.

I SAW THEM - Belo Horizonte, Brazil - March 10th 2010
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:29:37 PM »

I don't smoke it but yes it should.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »

The only reason it isn't legal is because the govt has no way to control it and the pharmaceutical companies will never let it happen.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:48:51 PM »

In a nut shell yes.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »

I listened to an interesting discussion the other day, and the speaker was quick to point out "de-criminalization" is different than "legalization."  If you de-criminalize it, he explained, the cops can still enforce the law and confiscate it, but there would be no arrest made or fine imposed. 

Personally, I have never used marijuana.  That said, I don't understand jailing people for possession of a drug.  It makes no sense.  Now, if that person committed a real crime that hurt someone other than themselves, arrest the bastard. 

MA decriminalized it, but there is a fine of $100 for anything less than 1 oz. (no arrest)

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:15:02 PM »

The only reason it isn't legal is because the govt has no way to control it and the pharmaceutical companies will never let it happen.

Exactly... it would either need to be controlled by the ATF or FDA. If it became prescription only then the decriminalization of less than an ounce in states like MA would have to go away for non prescription holders. Also doctors would have to be held to a higher standard when prescribing than the current system in CA, which for lack of a better description gives you a membership card to a hash bar... that would be like my doctor giving me a balnket prescription for pain killers and allowing me to choose from Codine, Oxycontin (mine and Rush Limbaugh's drug of choice  Wink, and everything in between.

If it were handled by the ATF and taxed, that would be a never win battle because how would you distinguish between marijuana purchased at a convienience store and marijuana brought in illegaly across the border (or domestic)?
Also how would driving be handled? Is there an accurate test that can prove current level of THC similar to a blood alcohol level?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:37:40 PM »

Yes
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »

I used to smoke a lot of weed.  Overall, I really don't think it's that big of a deal, but there are definitely negatives to it.  While my friends would constantly get high, eventually I started to get pretty paranoid and I just couldn't handle it.  So I've completely stopped, but meanwhile, my friends continue to smoke non-stop and have no issues.  The ironic thing is that most of them are teachers.  The worst one of all is regularly nominated as one o the best teachers in his high school.

My view on drug legalization is that it's a bad thing.   I think pot decriminalization would be good, though.  In Minnesota, where I live, basically the guys who made up the marijuana laws had no idea about amounts, so as long as you have less than some arbitrary amount,  I believe somewhere around three fourths of an ounce, it's a minor thing, and you get a minor fine and the cops confiscate your weed.  If it's in your car while you're driving, it's a much worse offense.  I personally don't have any problem with people driving while they're high, but I can completely understand why someone not familiar with the effects of the drug would be concerned about that.

As far as legalization goes, I think there are two extreme ends.  Around the late 1800's in America, when most drugs were legal (I think opiates were the first drugs criminalized, and even then they were still allowed in medicines, I believe), it's estimated that around 5% of the population was hooked on drugs.  Most of these people were actually housewives, as many of the drugs we consider hard drugs today were common ingredients in "miracle cure" medicines, sold in magazines, which were obviously very popular amongst housewives at the time.  Nowadays, we have a much lower addiction rate, but a much higher violent crime rate.

I think the whole issue comes down to: down you want more people addicted (and therefore more people wasting away, and more health problems, theoretically), but less violence and crime associated with it, or less people addicted, but more violence and more crime because of it?    Both have their downsides, and there's no easy answer.

By the way, my answer is more about drug legalization in general than pot specifically.  Just sort of rambling.   Smiley
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:53:01 PM by loretian » Logged

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:56:56 PM »

It can't be any worse than the damage cigarettes and alcohol have caused. For that reason, people shouldn't be arrested for using it. It's a double standard that a guy can go to a bar and get drunk out of his mind, then get behind the wheel and potentially kill someone. However, someone smoking pot in the privacy of his home gets arrested. Stupid law.

I think one of the main issues would be the second hand factor if people were to actually be able to smoke it out in public.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 10:08:18 PM »

Cigarettes are also way more addictive than Marijuana

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »

As far as cigarettes is concerned, I must be an unusual person because I can smoke a pack for a week or two if I'm bored, stop for a week, stop for 5 months or stop entirely completely at will. Same with any kind of other substance I've tried. I've read that like 1 out of 10 can stop smoking without any kind of assistance. I must either have an incredibly strong will or my body is simply not made for getting addicted. Probably a combination of both.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 11:36:11 PM »

As far as cigarettes is concerned, I must be an unusual person because I can smoke a pack for a week or two if I'm bored, stop for a week, stop for 5 months or stop entirely completely at will. Same with any kind of other substance I've tried. I've read that like 1 out of 10 can stop smoking without any kind of assistance. I must either have an incredibly strong will or my body is simply not made for getting addicted. Probably a combination of both.

consider yourself lucky
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 12:54:49 AM »

I have never tried a drug, but pot should be legal.  Its the people's choice and from all accounts it isn't "that" harmful especially when compared to Coke or Heroin.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 03:17:59 AM »

Yes. 
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 04:14:27 AM »

I think this country has enough lazy losers lying around doing nothing with their lives, wouldnt this create more?  On a side note, I think streroids should be 100% legal...so I will trade one for the other...
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 06:15:55 AM »

It's a double standard that a guy can go to a bar and get drunk out of his mind, then get behind the wheel and potentially kill someone. However, someone smoking pot in the privacy of his home gets arrested. Stupid law.

Drunk driving is illegal is it not??

I think this country has enough lazy losers lying around doing nothing with their lives, wouldnt this create more?

hihi

I seem to associate pot with the vagabonds that wear tracksuits and live on council estates. A whole nation of that would be hell on earth.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: