Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 07:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228135 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?  (Read 62077 times)
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2009, 05:30:36 AM »

I wanna make it clear that I am a huge Slash fan, but heres an interesting point. If Slash changed his image, style, started playing anything other than loud rock guitar tomorrow. Do you think a majority of fans would actually pay him any attention? Is it he is resigned to never change, or he just doesnt want to, or both?

I think that's the case for most people in music though. Slash (like Robin) is famous for being awesome musician in a major band(s). Yes, Slash has kept a trademark image, but I think if he changed it people would still listen to his guitar. Just as how when Robin and Axl changed their respective outfits over the years people continued to pay them attention. I expect there would be debate amongst fans as to if old or new slash outfit was cooler or whatever, but he'd still get attention. If he stoped playing guitar, well, perhaps not, but who would pay much attention to any professional musician if they ceased being a musician, that's why they are famous.

On topic: I have a lot of respect for both Slash and Robin. I kinda prefer each on their own material. I prefered Slash's take on the solos from AFD, but I think Robin's playing on the whole of Chinese Democracy is fantastic. I'm looking forward to see what DJ brings to the mix now.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2009, 08:53:01 AM »

Well I wasnt aware that Robin had writing credits on those?Huh? So you liked his solo's?? Doesnt really compare to actually writing the music though does it.
No, it doesn't. Still doesn't mean your opinion on TIL solo can be took as fact.

It can be argued who would add the better solo's Slash or Finck...but what can't be argued is who contributed the better SONGS to GNR.
Funny, because the title of the thread says "Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?". I didn't see anything about SONGWRITING.

If you want to discuss in that matter only to prove how Slash has many credits and Robin only one, you may want to put some other musicians like Izzy in the topic. Because it isn't about guitar playing anymore from that perspective.

carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2009, 10:04:10 AM »

Funny, because the title of the thread says "Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?". I didn't see anything about SONGWRITING.

If you want to discuss in that matter only to prove how Slash has many credits and Robin only one, you may want to put some other musicians like Izzy in the topic. Because it isn't about guitar playing anymore from that perspective.
[/quote]

Sorry but that's nonsense.

When discussing who you prefer, the the songs they have written and contributed to is obviously pivotal to the argument. Where did the Izzy comment come from? he's not in the thread title, it's Robin V Slash, and in that context I'd go with Slash. As I said live playing and solo's are debatable but the time both guys spent in the band and comparing songwriting credits isnt.

Surely songwriting is a huge part of playing guitar??? or are we discussing who we'd prefer based on who dresses better??
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2009, 10:28:49 AM »

Talk about nonsense.

You can be a guitar player with no songwriting credits. You can like what a musician has to offer even without credits. You can like him based on his live performance, his contributions on the album or whatever.

And yes, Izzy isn't in the thread title. Nor does songwriting skills. Roll Eyes

Also, why bringing the time spent in the band? Maybe if the band had released the same ammount of material in the same time frame as the old guys, Robin could have more writing credits. We don't know if the next albums will have more of his work as songwriter.

And, again, songwriting skills has little to do with guitar playing - why do you think Izzy had more input than Slash? Or even Paul Tobias than Richard Fortus. You can make a great song without being a good guitar player.

So, I belive the whole discussion IS about live playing and solo.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »

Song writing and playing guitar are 2 different things.    Paul Huge and Izzy Stradlin are song writing guys who aren't necessarily the most charismatic live performers or most techincal guitarists.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »

to whatever reason you try to bring others you just can't force your preference on others.

Robin now > slash now  Kiss
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »

to whatever reason you try to bring others you just can't force your preference on others.

Robin now > slash now  Kiss

That's great and all but neither one are in the band at this point.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »

ok I paraphrase.

Robin in the 21st century > slash in the 21st century
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »

ok I paraphrase.

Robin in the 21st century > slash in the 21st century

and people are trying to say we can't prefer robin over the other.

i know who i would rather go see live.   r o b        i n  smoking
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2009, 05:54:12 AM »

"Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?"

^^such a general question will always heat up the discussion with people like Jim Bob jumping in it immediately spreading his hate to Slash in any form and otherwise. a more workable topic with the intention of having some more peaceful debate and overview should have some direction like musicwise? performingwise? contributionwise? etc. in it or some detailed categories for rating and giving arguments for discussion.

Re-Union time, baby!!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2009, 12:31:28 AM »

There really is no argument

I mean For every Robin solo , I can throw out 5 Slash solos that are better.

Robin's best solo is probably the one from Better but it is nowhere near SCOM

Robin on the Blues and TIL are nowhere near November Rain or Estranged

so really, it is no discussion.  Slash has 3 or 4 of the most legendary/iconic solos ever in MUSIC history.

Robin has some good solos on an album.

that is a huge difference.

Guitar riffs, Robin has Better

do I even have to throw out the laundry list of Slash Riffs?

I mean it is just ridiculous. Like on that Waves mixing GNR thing. someone was like "Listen to what a badass Tommy is on bass" its likethey don't realize that he is playing what Duff wrote.......

true Tommy is a good bass player but playing what someone else wrote doesnt make u better or as good.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2009, 04:44:04 AM »

its possible to like the way someone plays something better than the person who wrote it. 

IMO Robin perfected just about anything that he played that was originally played by Slash.   And he looked cooler doing it too.

Its no contest who I'd rather see live.   None at all. 
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2009, 06:39:16 AM »

I've always prefered seeing the people who wrote the material playing it. When I saw GnR in Sydney everyone put on an awesome show, but during old GnR songs there were times I thought for a second 'man, it would be great to see the old guys playing this' (however, all the guys still put on a killer show). That being said, when they played new songs I didn't care at all about the old line up. In that regard I think it does matter who wrote the material. For me personally I'd rather see the guys who wrote it perform it. For example, I'd rather see Slash play WTTJ than Robin. But I'd rather see Robin play Better than Slash (hypothetically).
I saw The Who a few weeks back (awesome show). Pino Palladino and Zak Starkey were fantastic, but I'd rather have seen Entwistle and Moon (again, hypothetically).
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2009, 07:04:32 AM »

See I could give a shit about song writing credits when it comes to enjoying a concert.   That to me is just over analyzing things, defeats the purpose of having a good time.   The band puts on an amazing show and at the end of the night, thats what really matters.

In my opinion, one of the band's(old and new) best performed songs is Live and Let Die, which none of the guys on stage had anything to do with.  Does that matter to me?  No, why would it?   I enjoy the performance.    And even on the older GnR stuff, Axl is still there and what GnR fan of any era wouldn't at the very least appreciate getting to see Axl belting classic GnR songs?    And the band does play the fuck out of the material, old and new.     But truth be told, as long as Axl is there, it doesn't really fuckin matter.  He is the voice and leader of the band, always has been.

Its kinda funny the double standard with some Slash fans.  Go look at any thread in the VR section where a youtube clip is posted of Slash jamming to SCOM with Fergie or Paradise City with Bill Gates.    Slash fans practically nut themselves over seeing those clips, but they act like Axl fucked their mom when he goes out and performs the classic songs with the current Guns N' Roses lineup.   The band their hero decided to leave way over a decade ago....

As far as Robin vs Slash, I'd go see Robin with NIN 100 times before I go to a VR concert.
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2009, 11:14:49 AM »

its possible to like the way someone plays something better than the person who wrote it. 

IMO Robin perfected just about anything that he played that was originally played by Slash.   And he looked cooler doing it too.

Its no contest who I'd rather see live.   None at all. 

Gee you are really, REALLY stretching credibility. I agree in principle that it's possible to a small degree, as in I have liked the way a guy covers someones song, but to say I prefer the cover artist based on this.

I'd say that 75-99% of the general public disagree with you though, and 90-99% disagree with who 'looked cooler'.

But each to they're own. I just don't understand the concept of admitting one guy writes better riffs and solo's, yet I prefer the 2nd guy?Huh  based on he looks cooler?Huh
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2009, 11:39:43 AM »

What is funny to me though is, the same people who say this are the exact ones whining because someone else is now going to play Robin's parts on the new songs.

So I guess DJ is better than Robin cause he can play Robin's solos.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2009, 12:26:57 PM »

Yea i guess the same people who prefer slash are now whining about dj even before they see anything by this line-up. 

jim bob isn't, voodoo no, me of course not.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2009, 03:41:04 PM »

What is funny to me though is, the same people who say this are the exact ones whining because someone else is now going to play Robin's parts on the new songs.

So I guess DJ is better than Robin cause he can play Robin's solos.

you don't get it.   theres no use in trying to explain personal taste to you.

I've never whined about DJ playing Robin's parts.. we've yet to see him with the band.    I won't whine either.  Robin made his choice, the band made their choice to move on, and as fans we should all respect that.   Just go see them when they tour and enjoy it.  Thats all that matters.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2009, 01:47:34 AM »

I guess I get caught too much up into the who is better thing

I see, its who u prefer

my fault

WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2009, 09:07:07 AM »

See I could give a shit about song writing credits when it comes to enjoying a concert.   That to me is just over analyzing things, defeats the purpose of having a good time.   The band puts on an amazing show and at the end of the night, thats what really matters.

In my opinion, one of the band's(old and new) best performed songs is Live and Let Die, which none of the guys on stage had anything to do with.  Does that matter to me?  No, why would it?   I enjoy the performance.    And even on the older GnR stuff, Axl is still there and what GnR fan of any era wouldn't at the very least appreciate getting to see Axl belting classic GnR songs?    And the band does play the fuck out of the material, old and new.     But truth be told, as long as Axl is there, it doesn't really fuckin matter.  He is the voice and leader of the band, always has been.

Its kinda funny the double standard with some Slash fans.  Go look at any thread in the VR section where a youtube clip is posted of Slash jamming to SCOM with Fergie or Paradise City with Bill Gates.    Slash fans practically nut themselves over seeing those clips, but they act like Axl fucked their mom when he goes out and performs the classic songs with the current Guns N' Roses lineup.   The band their hero decided to leave way over a decade ago....

As far as Robin vs Slash, I'd go see Robin with NIN 100 times before I go to a VR concert.

That in itself is a double standard. It can very well be applied to Slash as well, as long as he's there it doesn't matter. That's how some people see it. You really under-complicate the situation with the band, it wasn't as if he simply said ok i'm done with Guns, and everyone knows that. I dont see why anyone would complain about Axl ROSE playing Guns N' ROSES material , I'm merely pointing out Slash playing material with people can be cool. It's a side thing , face it he's forever associated with the band the little Microsoft/Best Buy/Fergie stuff is just something to do. I actually work at Best Buy and my manager was at the confrence when he played. It was a nation-wide meeting for the management in Cali. , they brought Slash in to do a couple songs and the employees where stoked! Manager said he was nice as hell and down to earth and even hung around awhile to see the new products. I think some people over looked situations like this and write them off as being a media whore.

On point , Slash. Nightrain , Locomotive , Sweet Child, The Garden, THE FUCKING GARDEN solo is too intense. Robin is one hell of a guitar player but when it comes down to it generation after generation will remember Slash , this isn't WHY he is who a prefer but it is an indication of his ability as a player and musician.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: