Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 07:28:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?  (Read 62089 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2009, 04:21:37 PM »

The question of the topic is as clear as subjective, but if the question were "Who was most important/significant/ essential for Guns n' Roses", the answers would be unanimous and obvious: SLASH.
....SO obvious that bothering to ask something like that serves no purpose. There isn't much talk or debate about the matter for same reason there isn't much debate going about who is the best singer in GNR.

the question is who you prefer...   which is completely subjective. 

i think slash has become a talentless shell of his former self, a brand, a media whore, and there is nothing cool about that.    enjoy the fergie performances. 
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »

It is subjective, but hey Slash is nailing the Sweet Child solo atm while playing with fergie so who cares...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2009, 06:15:15 PM »

It is subjective, but hey Slash is nailing the Sweet Child solo atm while playing with fergie so who cares...

Robin played the SCOM solo just as good if not better on many nights, except he had a real rock band behind him playing the song, not to mention Axl Fucking Rose on vocals..   Fergie's band sounds dreadful.. almost as bad as the Best Buy band.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:16:46 PM by Jim Bob » Logged
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 06:19:45 AM »

Robin played the SCOM solo just as good if not better on many nights, except he had a real rock band behind him playing the song, not to mention Axl Fucking Rose on vocals..   Fergie's band sounds dreadful.. almost as bad as the Best Buy band.

Blasphemy!!  hihi
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 11:17:09 AM »

LOL at people comparing a dude with one songwriting credit to an Icon and Legend.

Dumbest thread ever
Maybe you should shut the fuck up for once and stop ignoring one thing: if songwriting is all that matters in this case, should we disregard Slash's work in, say, November Rain?

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2009, 11:51:54 AM »

LOL at people comparing a dude with one songwriting credit to an Icon and Legend.

Dumbest thread ever
Maybe you should shut the fuck up for once and stop ignoring one thing: if songwriting is all that matters in this case, should we disregard Slash's work in, say, November Rain?

some people will just never get Robin..  its not their fault Wink  so they babble on about the same thing over and over and over and over and over and capitalize the word "wrote" in every post they make, for emphasis.

no worries, I've seen them both and I know who puts on a better show.   
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 01:08:03 PM »

Robin.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
+Rocker+
I want to hea... have Slash's baby
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »

Dumbest thread ever

some people will just never get Robin..  its not their fault Wink  so they babble on about the same thing over and over and over and over and over and capitalize the word "wrote" in every post they make, for emphasis.

But only one of the them was performing his own songs.

I love you Axl, but I'm also one of "those" Slash supporters haha...
www.rockinslashforum.com
Soon: www.rockin-slash.com
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »

Dumbest thread ever

Robin was the GnR guitar player playing GnR songs, and yes some of them were his own.     but again, anytime someone says they like robin better than slash, the only thing a slash fan can do is talk about song writing.   this has nothing to do with song writing.
Rage in the Cage
Headliner

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 05:04:16 PM »

Dumbest thread ever

Robin was the GnR guitar player playing GnR songs, and yes some of them were his own.     but again, anytime someone says they like robin better than slash, the only thing a slash fan can do is talk about song writing.   this has nothing to do with song writing.

Sure it does. Its one of the many aspects of guitar playing. Do you know how many musicians out there can cover cover material as if it were the original? Its much easier to play someone else's songs than it is to write your own. It may only be one aspect of being a great guitarist but you can't just totally disregard it as if it means nothing.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2009, 01:27:51 PM »

Dumbest thread ever

Robin was the GnR guitar player playing GnR songs, and yes some of them were his own.     but again, anytime someone says they like robin better than slash, the only thing a slash fan can do is talk about song writing.   this has nothing to do with song writing.

Sure it does. Its one of the many aspects of guitar playing. Do you know how many musicians out there can cover cover material as if it were the original? Its much easier to play someone else's songs than it is to write your own. It may only be one aspect of being a great guitarist but you can't just totally disregard it as if it means nothing.

It has nothing to do with songwriting.  The topic is who is your favorite guitarist which means style, stage presense, performances, ect.  Slash does have more songwriting credits but WHO CARES ?

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Rage in the Cage
Headliner

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »

I care. Regardless of how you feel about Slash, you can't deny during his time with GNR he came up with some of the best, most memorable riffs and solos. If it weren't for that we wouldn't be asking this question.

I agree that songwriting dosen't matter if you're asking which guitarist you'd rather see live or which guitarist better complements Axl, etc but when you're taking in the whole sum of a guitarist's abilities that fits in the equation.
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2009, 05:39:03 PM »

Yes, so Slash wrote some songs.

But "Better" is better than any old school GNR song.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »

yea to me this question has nothing to do with song writing but more who i prefer as a guitarist.   

like i said, theres nothing cool about what slash has become these days. 
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2009, 05:36:59 AM »

anytime someone says they like robin better than slash, the only thing a slash fan can do is talk about song writing.   this has nothing to do with song writing.

You're a hypocrite, Blow Job.  Because the only goddamn thing you can do to defend Robin is undermine the fact that Slash actually wrote GNR material and Robin didn't.

"Better" is better than any old school GNR song.

Like hell.  It's a good song but it doesn't touch the majority of original GNR's music.

t has nothing to do with songwriting.  The topic is who is your favorite guitarist which means style, stage presense, performances, ect.  Slash does have more songwriting credits but WHO CARES ?

Who the hell are you to determine what the topic means?  It means whatever the fuck I (as the reader) want it to mean.

It's flat out stupid to suggest that songwriting doesn't matter AT ALL.  Being able to pick up a guitar and come up with YOUR OWN riffs, solos, and material as opposed to just covering someone else's is a HUGE part of being a guitarist.  And again, these asinine comments illustrate how much Robin fans have to desperately grab for straws by de-emphasizing the songwriting issue.  Fact is, being a great guitar player isn't merely about stage presence (though that's important).  It bloody well is about being able to pick up a guitar and (are you ready for the all capital letters, Rim Job?) WRITING great riffs and solos.

Any fucking hack guitarist can teach himself how to play something that someone else wrote.  There are cover band guitarists learning Slash's licks every fucking day -- I guess you blokes prefer them to Slash too?

Fact is, you can like who you want overall, but nobody has a leg to stand on when preferring Robin to Slash in GNR.  Nobody.  Even if Slash were currently peddling snuff films in some fucking back alley today, he can still --and will always be able to -- lay claim to writing, recording, and performing GNR's greatest material.  Robin can lay claim to butchering that material onstage during his Axl tenure.  Even on his best day, Robin can't hold a candle to Slash in the GNR department, and he'll never overcome that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 05:48:45 AM by Bridge » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2009, 11:29:06 AM »

i do have a leg to stand on.  i like what i like and you can't change that.

see sig
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:05:45 PM by Jim Bob » Logged
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »

Yeah.  When Finck is capable of writing something that lingers in the mind's ear for all time, that gets revered by rock n roll fans everywhere, that still gets remembered and played on the radio 20 years later -- like a good amount of Slash's material is -- then I'll give more credence to Robin's playing.

see sig

Yeah, I read the interview, and it's typical Axl bullshit.  With Ankle and HIS supporters, the mentality is always "Anybody who doesn't agree with me or share my opinions shouldn't speak at all, because my opinion is the only one that's right, and anyone who DARES say anything negative about me is always wrong."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 06:03:53 PM by Bridge » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2009, 05:59:54 PM »

ankle?

are you sure you're on the right site?   you must be looking for mygnr.com
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2009, 06:04:36 PM »

ankle?

Sorry, I meant to say Maxwell Rose.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »

go troll some other site.    I have no use in debating with people who arent' actually fans.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: