Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 03:25:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?  (Read 61976 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2009, 06:35:12 PM »

the mentality is always "Anybody who doesn't agree with me or share my opinions shouldn't speak at all, because my opinion is the only one that's right, and anyone who DARES say anything negative about me is always wrong."

good self-analysis. ok

AtariLegend
Not User Friendly
VIP

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2009, 08:24:25 PM »

I appreciate Robins work alot on "Chinese Democracy", but I have to go Slash just because of "Estranged"/"Coma"/"Sweet Child O' Mine".

I do though like Robins work better on a few old "Gn'R" live tracks such as "Mr. Brownstone".
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »

go troll some other site.

For the 10000th time, no.

I have no use in debating with people who arent' actually fans.

Ha!  You'd never engage in a debate with a "fan" anyway,  because your definition of a "fan" is someone who worships Axl Rose and believes he (and his band) can do no wrong, and hates Slash and believes he can do no right.

I have to go Slash just because of "Estranged"/"Coma"/"Sweet Child O' Mine".

This is what I'm talking about.  Even if Slash never picks up a guitar again, those songs put him head and shoulders above Finck.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:44:55 PM by Bridge » Logged
AtariLegend
Not User Friendly
VIP

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »

I'd just like to clarify that I like Finck too, "This I Love" and "Better" are as good or better than 90%+ of old "Gn'R" material to me.

I like both their contributions while in "Gn'R"....
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »

Ha!  You'd never engage in a debate with a "fan" anyway,  because your definition of a "fan" is someone who worships Axl Rose and believes he (and his band) can do no wrong, and hates Slash and believes he can do no right.

My definition of a Guns N' Roses fan is someone who likes and respects the band, and even supports them.   Not people who just pine over people who haven't been in the band for over a decade.   Those people are merely haters and trolls.  You are one of them, who apparently still hasn't gotten the hint.   Theres nothing more to be said.

you add nothing positive to discussion about the current band.   Like I said, theres nothing more to say to you so just fuck off.

I'd just like to clarify that I like Finck too, "This I Love" and "Better" are as good or better than 90%+ of old "Gn'R" material to me.

I like both their contributions while in "Gn'R"....
ok
Rage in the Cage
Headliner

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2009, 11:01:04 PM »

It seems like its unacceptable on this board to be a fan of both new Guns N' Roses and Slash. Anyone who likes Slash can't have an opinion right? I happen to like both and in this case I prefer Slash over Robin. According to your definition I can't be a fan then. Who are you to tell people if they're a fan of GNR or not?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2009, 08:05:57 AM »

Who are you to tell people if they're a fan of GNR or not?

It's down to personal opinion and your definition of what a fan is.

Why do people get so offended about it?

"You have no right to tell me I'm not a fan!". Yes, I do. It's called an opinion.

People jump on my back for that all the fucking time. Just because I don't consider real fans the kind of people who spit on the artist/band they're supposed to be fans of.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Rage in the Cage
Headliner

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2009, 09:05:30 AM »

Who are you to tell people if they're a fan of GNR or not?

It's down to personal opinion and your definition of what a fan is.

Why do people get so offended about it?

"You have no right to tell me I'm not a fan!". Yes, I do. It's called an opinion.

People jump on my back for that all the fucking time. Just because I don't consider real fans the kind of people who spit on the artist/band they're supposed to be fans of.

/jarmo

If understand if someone puts down the band or members in the band, and your opinion becomes "well that person's not a fan." But ive seen members called trolls and "not fans" several times just because they prefered Old Guns to New Guns or god forbid they said anything remotely critical of Axl. We're all human and just as we all have, he's made mistakes in his life too.

You can be a fan and still have an unbiased opinion.
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2009, 11:28:49 AM »

I wanna make it clear that I am a huge Slash fan, but heres an interesting point. If Slash changed his image, style, started playing anything other than loud rock guitar tomorrow. Do you think a majority of fans would actually pay him any attention? Is it he is resigned to never change, or he just doesnt want to, or both?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »

If understand if someone puts down the band or members in the band, and your opinion becomes "well that person's not a fan." But ive seen members called trolls and "not fans" several times just because they prefered Old Guns to New Guns or god forbid they said anything remotely critical of Axl. We're all human and just as we all have, he's made mistakes in his life too.

It is possible to be fans of both.  you have intelligent posts like this where he prefers the other but isn't being insulting about it
I appreciate Robins work alot on "Chinese Democracy", but I have to go Slash just because of "Estranged"/"Coma"/"Sweet Child O' Mine".

I do though like Robins work better on a few old "Gn'R" live tracks such as "Mr. Brownstone".

But then you get garbage like this:
Fact is, you can like who you want overall, but nobody has a leg to stand on when preferring Robin to Slash in GNR.

LOL at people comparing a dude with one songwriting credit to an Icon and Legend.

Dumbest thread ever

people can like whatever they like.   but when you have a poster like bridge who i've never ever ever seen make a positive post about the current GnR lineup only coming here to pine for Slash, yea I'm going to question whether or not that person is a genuine fan these days.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »

Not in my opinion.

If you're a fan of something you really like it.

For example, some people will look forward to hearing the artist's new album because they're fans and expect to like it because they're fans of the previous stuff. They have an optimistic outlook on things.

Then you got those who are fans of the artist's old material, but feel let down by a change in personnel, the style of the music etc etc. These people "hold a grudge" and I wouldn't call them unbiased either. These people have a negative outlook because "things aren't what they used to be".

I don't get the whole obsession with the idea that as a fan you always have to be "unbiased".

I guess it's because you don't want to be labeled a "fan boy". That must be so horrible.

On the other hand, when an "unbiased" person gets called out as a whiny sad fuck, he/she isn't happy about that either.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2009, 07:22:44 PM »

Jarmo, who is your favourite regardless of anything else other than guitar playing?
Rage in the Cage
Headliner

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2009, 08:48:32 PM »

Not in my opinion.

If you're a fan of something you really like it.

For example, some people will look forward to hearing the artist's new album because they're fans and expect to like it because they're fans of the previous stuff. They have an optimistic outlook on things.

Then you got those who are fans of the artist's old material, but feel let down by a change in personnel, the style of the music etc etc. These people "hold a grudge" and I wouldn't call them unbiased either. These people have a negative outlook because "things aren't what they used to be".

I don't get the whole obsession with the idea that as a fan you always have to be "unbiased".

I guess it's because you don't want to be labeled a "fan boy". That must be so horrible.

On the other hand, when an "unbiased" person gets called out as a whiny sad fuck, he/she isn't happy about that either.

/jarmo

Obviously as a fan you're gonna have a biased opinion some of the time. I've caught slack for telling my friends how fucking great GNR is and I accept that. But it seems as if you're using smallest details as ammo against someone's loyalty to the band.

I love old GNR and I love new GNR. But there are some things I prefer about old GNR and vice versa. I don't expect the old GNR to get back together because frankly, the odds of the apocalypse coming tomorrow are probably better than a GNR reunion. And as much appreciation as I have for the new lineup, by your standards, I cannot be a fan because of my preferance of certain things about Old GNR.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2009, 01:00:06 PM »

I'm super unbiased.  Cool

I prefer robin and cd band, hands down.
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »

Around 93 I was feeling a little tired of GNR's sound and felt they had not moved forward and become quite a cabaret act.

Around 98 I heard that Finck was joining the band, and being a HUGE fan of NIN back then imagined Axl singing over the Hurt album and got goosebumps. Later Richard Fortus joined the band and again I was overjoyed hoping he would bring the cool Izzy element and song writing chops.

Now I unfortunately have yet to hear Fortus/Axl collaborations (song writing wise) but I hold very high hopes.

Finck well.

Im not really sure how anyone can logically debate him being a better guitarist than Slash on any level?Huh

Civil War, SCOM, WTJ, COMA, Locomtoive, etc etc etc....and whilst the post GNR stuff overall has been subpar, if you actually listen to a lot of the earlier riffs and get rid of the bands he was in much of it would be AWESOME with Axl.

So far we've heard better from Finck, after what 10 yrs or more of collaboration??? I like better a lot, but Jesus, the term 'thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters' come to mind. Plus the tuneless butchering of TIL made me glad he left......terrible stuff......where was Fortus when we needed him?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2009, 09:47:12 AM »

So far we've heard better from Finck, after what 10 yrs or more of collaboration??? I like better a lot, but Jesus, the term 'thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters' come to mind. Plus the tuneless butchering of TIL made me glad he left......terrible stuff......where was Fortus when we needed him?

Wow, never thought of it like that  hihi

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2009, 10:31:18 AM »

Around 93 I was feeling a little tired of GNR's sound and felt they had not moved forward and become quite a cabaret act.

Around 98 I heard that Finck was joining the band, and being a HUGE fan of NIN back then imagined Axl singing over the Hurt album and got goosebumps. Later Richard Fortus joined the band and again I was overjoyed hoping he would bring the cool Izzy element and song writing chops.

Now I unfortunately have yet to hear Fortus/Axl collaborations (song writing wise) but I hold very high hopes.

Finck well.

Im not really sure how anyone can logically debate him being a better guitarist than Slash on any level?Huh

Civil War, SCOM, WTJ, COMA, Locomtoive, etc etc etc....and whilst the post GNR stuff overall has been subpar, if you actually listen to a lot of the earlier riffs and get rid of the bands he was in much of it would be AWESOME with Axl.

Again, the non-sense about songwriting. Are you claiming SOD, IRS, TWAT and any other solo Robin did wasn't his own work?

Also, TIL solo is one of the best solos in the whole album IMO and for many others. Don't state your opinion as fact.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:26 PM »

Again, the non-sense about songwriting. Are you claiming SOD, IRS, TWAT and any other solo Robin did wasn't his own work?

Also, TIL solo is one of the best solos in the whole album IMO and for many others. Don't state your opinion as fact.

Exactly.  Otherwise lets just give 100% credit for November Rain to Axl Rose.  Smiley
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2009, 02:10:44 PM »

Exactly.  Otherwise lets just give 100% credit for November Rain to Axl Rose.  Smiley

Good point, you could say the same thing about Estranged too.  Guitar solos have always been a big part of GNR but don't always translate into songwriting credits. CITR would be another example. It was completely written (and I'd heard it) for quite some time but Bumble's solo is really what set it off for me.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2009, 02:17:33 AM »

[/quote]

Well I wasnt aware that Robin had writing credits on those?Huh? So you liked his solo's?? Doesnt really compare to actually writing the music though does it.
It can be argued who would add the better solo's Slash or Finck...but what can't be argued is who contributed the better SONGS to GNR.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:19:58 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: