Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 03:53:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228111 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?  (Read 61890 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »

^ If the title thread was "who's more popular", of course it's Slash. I don't think that's up to debate.

I think the point is: we're all here because we like the current band and album. So, we're a different part of the general rock fans - we know who Robin is, what he's capable of and what he did (at least some of us). Even if he's not in the band anymore, there's still his contributions on the album.

I, like many people here, rather listen to TIL and SOD solos than November Rain or Estranged. Face it, it's our point of view as fans, we can like it better because it's just our opinion (hence why I'm not into the ex-members from the old band section).

What is funny to me though is, the same people who say this are the exact ones whining because someone else is now going to play Robin's parts on the new songs.

So I guess DJ is better than Robin cause he can play Robin's solos.
That makes no sense at all. How the hell did you come with that conclusion? People (me included) didn't like how Robin refused to come back (at least that's how I see it). Also, IMHO, DJ Ashba is way too generic - he has skills, he can write, but he is like a lot of other people, Richard included. Still, I'm just waiting to check how he'll be on stage.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »

the question is:
Robin vs. Slash, which one do you prefer?
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2009, 07:37:59 AM »

When Robin was in his full-bearded, long-haired, hippie rocker mode on the Australian tour, I thought he was second to Axl as far as stage presence goes. He was definitely one cool motherfucker to watch perform.

But having seen Slash live as well, I'd have to pick him, because hey, it's fuckin Slash! The guy is a rock icon.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »

The guy is a rock icon

let me guess.... Slash fans prefer Keith Richards to both slash and robin, yes?
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »

The guy is a rock icon

Christ, why do people take it so personally/offensively when people say they prefer Slash?
Then if someone questions why they prefer Robin it's "it's my oppinion, you don't get it" etc.
He gave praise to Robin, but ultimatly picked Slash; not need to get so uptight about it.  crying
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2009, 05:07:03 AM »

The guy is a rock icon

Last I checked, Keith Richards was never a member of GN'R... Roll Eyes

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »

The guy is a rock icon

I wasn't aware that you only like guitarists that were in gnr. But my comment wasn't particularly about you.

The guy is a rock icon

Christ, why do people take it so personally/offensively when people say they prefer Slash?
Then if someone questions why they prefer Robin it's "it's my oppinion, you don't get it" etc.
He gave praise to Robin, but ultimatly picked Slash; not need to get so uptight about it.  crying

No need to get so defensive.
It's merely an honest observation about some people's reasons to prefer one guitarist to another. Nothing personal.

I didn't even specify whose quote, you see, as that was repeatedly said by many other slash fans in this thread... because he's a legend, known better, wrote famous solos, sold many records, blah. while robin fans reasons are for his performances craziness, coolness, warmness etc.

From those comments I made a reasonable inference.

metallex78
Legend

« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2009, 07:11:47 AM »

The guy is a rock icon

I wasn't aware that you only like guitarists that were in gnr. But my comment wasn't particularly about you.

I like plenty of other guitar players, but this discussion isn't about that.
It's about who you prefer out of Robin or Slash. Guitarists who have both been in GN'R.

As for you saying people's reasons for liking Slash ie. "because he's a legend, known better, wrote famous solos, sold many records, blah"
I agree with all of that, and he achieved most of that during his time with GN'R.

And to me Slash epitomizes everything that is cool about rock guitar.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »

Like i said My point was that the reasons are something i don't quite get for those to like someone. Kinda like if you heard a girl say she likes this guy because he's rich.... you'd think she'd like bill gates even more.

even if Robin had never been in gnr I'm sure as hell every robin fan would love him once they saw his performance.
i doubt the same is true with slash and his fans.

GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2009, 11:03:37 AM »

Slash fans take it more to heart, when they hear GnR fan's say they like Robin more.  Maybe it's because Robin has never sold out or he has more of a personality then Slash.   That's just my opinion, I think Slash is a brilliant guitarist and he deserve's to be recongized for it.  Robin just has that IT factor when it comes down to style, stage presence, playing for me.  Slash ain't what he used to be.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »

I saw a comment at nin forum that robin should learn how to be at two different places.  hihi
wadey
Legend

« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2009, 04:41:48 AM »

I saw a comment at nin forum that robin should learn how to be at two different places.  hihi

you visited a NIN forum........puke

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2009, 03:04:59 PM »

Here is why I take it to heart and this is nothing against Robin personally but why I take it personally

U have a guy in Slash who has wrote so much of the GNR catalog and the most famous and loved GNR songs.  He made himself into an ICON by not only his playing but the way he was on stage. People trying to compare Robin to VR pacemaker in his chest unable to go full bore running around Slash is unfair.

In their primes, this is just ludicrous. Its like comparing a good College basketball player to Michael Jordan. Its just truly ridiculous.

I don't understand how someone could prefer a guy who has contributed so little to GNR over a guy that had he not been in the band, GNR wouldn't even fucking exist in the form u know it.

I say it over and over. Had Slash not wrote so many of these amazing riffs and solos for Axl to sing over, GNR wouldn't be legendary.

If Axl worked with CC Deville instead of Slash back in the 80's,or kept Hollywood Rose going, he probably wouldn't be the icon he is today.

So It bugs the living shit out of me, when someone can talk shit about Slash and praise someone who is absolutely insignificant to GNR history.

Dude has 1 writing credit which was a major flop on the charts and plays songs written by other people.

To even have a thread with these two in the same sentence is one of the most ludcrious things ever.

It would be like Velvet Revolver getting a Tribute band Axl singer and then someone on here starting a thread comparing who is better.

just crazy shit.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2009, 04:11:51 PM »

babble babble babble  Roll Eyes

read what you posted a week ago if you need a refresher on what this thread is about.

I guess I get caught too much up into the who is better thing

I see, its who u prefer

my fault

And besides, you like Creed and Bon Jovi, therefore I cannot take anything you say seriously.   I'll say it once more, I'll go see Robin with NIN 100 times before I go to a VR concert.   Just my personal taste.. I see nothing cool about your lil hero.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2009, 04:46:51 PM »

I said that a week ago but the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it is to be debated on a GNR forum

Bon Jovi are great

Creed aren't one of my fave bands, I do think they get a bad wrap

and I like NIN,Prince, Chili Peppers, Kiss

I don't buy an Issue of RS magazine and like who is supposedly "Cool" and discard bands i like because for some reason they aren't the in thing to like.

I have never been nor will i ever be a frontrunner, trend chasing person/fan

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2009, 09:43:17 PM »

So It bugs the living shit out of me, when someone can talk shit about Slash and praise someone who is absolutely insignificant to GNR history.
Yeah, 10 years in GNR history is nothing. All his solos in the album are nothing. All his live gigs are nothing. Roll Eyes

Dude has 1 writing credit which was a major flop on the charts and plays songs written by other people.
Here you go again with another songwriting excuse and popular status.

AGAIN, ONE MORE FUCKING TIME: so, by what you said several times, we can disregard Slash's work in Estranged and November Rain, right? Or even SCOM! He didn't wrote it!

It would be like Velvet Revolver getting a Tribute band Axl singer and then someone on here starting a thread comparing who is better.
Yeah, really. It's exactly the same thing. Because Robin was in a tribute band he copycat everything Slash did.  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:45:23 PM by Voodoochild » Logged

cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2009, 01:47:08 AM »

Yeah, 10 years in GNR history is nothing. All his solos in the album are nothing. All his live gigs are nothing.

Actually, having been in GnR for 10 years is a bit of a discredit to him in my oppinion. It shows an amazing lack of productivity.
I know that isn't Robin's fault, and it's a massive shame that after ten years in the band all he has to show for it is one album, and only performing a handful of his own songs live in that time.
Slash on the other hand, in 11 years with the band released four legendary albums and a covers album, rose with the band to international fame and became an icon of rock.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »

Different things. As you already pointed out, it wasn't Robin's fault. And of course he couldn't play more of his own songs in advance of the album release, but he played almost all of his big contributions live (only one missed was TIL).

Still, if you can compare the two in 10 years, we can tell how Slash's work since It's Five O' Clock Somewhere were not that good as he previous work. So, from a LOT of releases, he didn't really had anything as good IMHO.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »

I said that a week ago but the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it is to be debated on a GNR forum

again, its personal preference.  stop trying to push your opinion on people who disagree and stating it as a fact.   you wont change anyones mind.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2009, 02:40:56 PM »

again, its personal preference.  stop trying to push your opinion on people who disagree and stating it as a fact.   you wont change anyones mind.

agree, I also dont see nothing cool about your lil hero Robin  Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: