Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 01:45:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 190959 times)
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #680 on: January 19, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »

Just like in baseball, I cannot cheer for the Yankees in any World Series.  I actually did back in 1996 before their run started.  I liked Torre, and didn't mind them winning ONE.  But then they went nuts, so never again will I cheer for them.

Haha, same with me, I was all over that Yankee bandwagon in '96, then just got disgusted with them when they wouldn't stop winning.  hihi  Even with that experience, I have no problem rooting for the J-E-T-S because the idea of them having an extended dynasty is hands down the funniest thing I've heard this year.

D, on the subject of juicing and the double-standard with football/baseball, I don't think most people care if football players juice.  Just from observing the punishment that football players endure, it's almost how could they not.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #681 on: January 19, 2010, 01:05:58 PM »

I am absolutely loving the hatred on the Jets.  Even if we lose in this game, it doesn't matter.  We've already put into place a great team that as long as Rex Ryan stays around, he is going to keep building on and using the same strong defensive fundamentals.  Mark Sanchez, is definitely not ever going to be a Favre or Manning, but he is only going to get better.  Our rush is only gonna improve next year when Leon Washington returns.  Now we will have three beasts punching it in and he will also be a threat on special teams.  Hate if you must, but there are four teams left in football right now.......and the J E T S are one of them!

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #682 on: January 19, 2010, 01:37:57 PM »

Yeah but 37tds and 7 picks?

once again, Im not outright accusing, just saying, u never hear the media breathe a word about the NFL.. Just in light of Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens etc...... Remember Philadelphia Phillie slugger Raul Ibanez last year? The shit he took cause he was having his best season ever? The accusations etc from the media?

Just saying, with the NFL, its never talked about.

The media would be irresponsible to raise such a question.  There is zero evidence...not to mention all the things I mentioned earlier about why Favre is having such an amazing season.  Have ya seen Favre's body?  It's hardly what I'd call "chiseled," and, in fact, he looks less muscular now than he did a few years ago. 
The suspicion in baseball has a huge basis.  MLB screwed itself by looking the other way for years.  The NFL has had a very good substance abuse policy for years. 

btw D, a sad day in Cowboys land!  This morning at work I cashed in my winning bet with a Cowboys fan.  She had to don a Vikings jersey and get pictures taken in front of my Vikings flag!  It was great.  hihi

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #683 on: January 19, 2010, 01:42:58 PM »

see there u go though, same mistake people made with MLB, HGH doesn't make u look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. u can take roids and not get chiseled or muscle bound. If used for just recovery purposes and u don't go crazy in the weight room, u can keep a modest physique.. Look at Andy Pettite for instance. Clemens always looked more chubby than chiseled.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #684 on: January 19, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »

I am absolutely loving the hatred on the Jets.  Even if we lose in this game, it doesn't matter.  We've already put into place a great team that as long as Rex Ryan stays around, he is going to keep building on and using the same strong defensive fundamentals.  Mark Sanchez, is definitely not ever going to be a Favre or Manning, but he is only going to get better.

With that defense, you don't need Favre or Manning.  You would be unbelievable with "Phil Simms", and you'll be very good with something even less than that.  I think Sanchez is a gamer.  Yes, he's young.  Yes, he makes mistakes.  No, in a Superbowl, I'd have little confidence in HIM winning you the game (right now).  But the kid is only going to get better.  And his inconsistency goes both ways.  Sometimes, he looks lost..but other times the guy looks flat out good.  I expect that as time goes on...that "looking lost" piece is going to be a whole lot less frequent.

I'm rooting for the Jets just because NOBODY thinks they can do it.  I'm not sure I THINK they can do it..but I'm gonna cheer for 'em anyway. 

Our rush is only gonna improve next year when Leon Washington returns.  Now we will have three beasts punching it in and he will also be a threat on special teams.  Hate if you must, but there are four teams left in football right now.......and the J E T S are one of them!

The only issue is this (and it goes hand in hand with Washington's status right now):  With the type of back setup you guys are using, health sometimes becomes an issue.  These guys are smash mouth players who are going to bulldoze their way up the middle.  They're tough as nails, which is to your benefit...but to continue to be good, and improve, you NEED them to stay healthy!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #685 on: January 19, 2010, 01:54:29 PM »

If anything, Favre had a brain transplant. I've always thought the guy was hugely overrated because, for every great pass he makes, he'd throw three incredibly dumb passes that would each result in an INT. I know he's won more games than anyone, but he's also singlehandedly cost his teams many games in the past with his terrible decision making. This year, however, after 20 years in the NFL, it's like something finally clicked in his brain and he started taking care of the ball. This guy almost always throws at LEAST 20 INTs in a season, and this year he didn't even reach ten. I find that amazing.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:56:32 PM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #686 on: January 19, 2010, 01:56:48 PM »

somebody will be the odd man out next season in NY. Washington is a free agent I think and with the emergence of Shonn Greene, They will either not resign Washington or trade Thomas Jones.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #687 on: January 19, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »

see there u go though, same mistake people made with MLB, HGH doesn't make u look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. u can take roids and not get chiseled or muscle bound. If used for just recovery purposes and u don't go crazy in the weight room, u can keep a modest physique.. Look at Andy Pettite for instance. Clemens always looked more chubby than chiseled.

HGH is not a steroid.  

Andy did HGH, not roids.

What Clemens did depends on who says what on any given day.  If roids (which I'd say, at this point, is likely)...while he wasn't cut from granite, he did put on pretty considerable bulk.  And in his heyday, while not chisled, he was NOT "chubby".  I've stood pretty close to the guy, on a few different occasions (at a few different points in his career).  "Chubby" is not the word I would have used for him.   As he got older...his body started to look older.  Even the guys doing full on cycles, at 35+, don't look the way they did at 25.  

What you achieve through doing steroids largely depends on what combination of drugs you use, what kind of cycle you put yourself in, and (yes) what you do in the gym.    You can build lean muscle or "bulk".  But either way, assuming you spend SOME time in the gym (otherwise, it's a time waster, anyway), your muscle is going to become more prominent than it was.  You might not sculpt it (which can also be a matter of how hydrated you keep yourself and how much water you retain) but you can't really "hide" it, either.

Together again,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #688 on: January 20, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »

^what Pilferk said.   beer

Gilee is right...you could have all the hgh or roids in the world, but it aint gonna change your td to int ratio.  No way.
It's a combo of having the most talented offense he's ever had along with making better decisions along with being healthy.  Plain and simple.

btw, I will be rooting for the Jets this weekend despite the fact the Colts will be mighty tough to beat in Indy.
SD has virtually no home field advantage.  I don't get southern California, I guess when you live in paradise, why bother going nuts screaming your head off. Smiley  I love the underdog story.  I'm happy either way, but it would be pretty damn cool to see the Jets pull a shocker. 

The other game?  I don't want to jinx a goddamn thing!  No comment!!!   Cool

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #689 on: January 20, 2010, 05:24:43 PM »

btw D, a sad day in Cowboys land!  This morning at work I cashed in my winning bet with a Cowboys fan.  She had to don a Vikings jersey and get pictures taken in front of my Vikings flag!  It was great.  hihi

I'm going to have to use the old innernetz adage, "Pics or it didn't happen."

btw, I will be rooting for the Jets this weekend despite the fact the Colts will be mighty tough to beat in Indy.
SD has virtually no home field advantage.  I don't get southern California, I guess when you live in paradise, why bother going nuts screaming your head off. Smiley  I love the underdog story.  I'm happy either way, but it would be pretty damn cool to see the Jets pull a shocker. 

The other game?  I don't want to jinx a goddamn thing!  No comment!!!   Cool

Look old man, I hate San Diego as much as the next person that hates San Diego, but Qualcomm was loud last Sunday.  Ugh, I hate all those bandwagon Charger fans that have popped up the last few years.

We all know the Colts have this thing locked up.

The Super Bowl is in Miami this year.  The last time the Super Bowl was in Miami, the Colts got to run around in championship t-shirts and take confetti showers.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #690 on: January 20, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »

The Super Bowl is in Miami this year.  The last time the Super Bowl was in Miami, the Colts got to run around in championship t-shirts and take confetti showers.

Garry, are you both picking and wanting the Colts to win this years Superbowl?

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #691 on: January 20, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »

I think u guys missed what I was saying

My point was the double standard the media has... Favre probably hasn't but my point is, if it happened in any other sport, u wouldn't be able to turn on the TV without seeing suspicion.

Also, the same arguments I hear against this, are the exact ones I heard for Roger Clemens and countless other athletes.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #692 on: January 20, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »

Garry, are you both picking and wanting the Colts to win this years Superbowl?

I'm picking them to win.

I want the Vikings to win of course, but I'm a realist.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #693 on: January 21, 2010, 11:42:50 AM »

On a non-playoff note......what the hell is Al Davis doing? He continues to be the worst owner in professional sports.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #694 on: January 21, 2010, 01:33:32 PM »

I'm picking them to win.

I understand. It will be a classic match-up and a game for the ages if it's Brett Favre versus Peyton Manning.  yes

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #695 on: January 21, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »

I'm picking them to win.

I understand. It will be a classic match-up and a game for the ages if it's Brett Favre versus Peyton Manning.  yes

Not to have a ray of hope enter my life, but NO gave up 21 points last week, and MN only gave up 3.  I'm hoping the MN D does what it did last week to Dallas, who lit up Philly.

Dallas had no problem running up the score on Philly now did they?
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #696 on: January 21, 2010, 06:57:54 PM »

Anytime that any team runs the score up on Miss McNabb, makes my day!  ok

I see that Wade Phillips got a contract extension today.  Lips Sealed

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #697 on: January 21, 2010, 09:36:03 PM »

Anytime that any team runs the score up on Miss McNabb, makes my day!  ok

I see that Wade Phillips got a contract extension today.  Lips Sealed

Yep, i though Jones was a moron previously now i'm certain of it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #698 on: January 22, 2010, 07:25:50 AM »

The nice thing is that most of the possible SB matchups are pretty good:

NO vs Indy:  You expect an exciting, GREAT game, with 2 great QB's.

MN vs Indy:  Favre vs Peyton...'nuff said.

MN vs Jets:  New Favre team vs Old Favre team....and there is certainly some animosity between the Jets team/front office and Favre. Smiley

NO vs Jets:  The least interesting potential matchup.....but you'd have one of the NFL's best offenses vs one of the NFL's best defenses.  That, at least, makes it somewhat interesting.

Together again,
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #699 on: January 22, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »

NO vs Jets:  The least interesting potential matchup.....but you'd have one of the NFL's best offenses vs one of the NFL's best defenses.  That, at least, makes it somewhat interesting.

Oh don't worry, the media hype machine will kick into full gear.

You'll have the NY media doing their thing, and the NO storyline will focus on Hurricane Katrina and the Saints rise from the ashes.  You also have Bush/Horsefaceian as a side story, and there will be features on how stupid San Diego was for taking Rivers over Brees.  Archie Manning will make a few appearances, and oh yeah, it will be their first trip to the Super Bowl.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: