Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 11:22:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 202430 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #440 on: November 16, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »

I expect Colts/Pats to end any number of crazy ass ways, but never in my life would I guessed it would end because of what I consider a coaching error.  I have as much of a killer instinct for football as anyone.  I often berate teams on tv who run it on a third and 5 with a couple of minutes left, hoping to run out more clock before putting in their pansy ass prevent D.  I always think "No, you go for the kill.  Get that first down and it's over."  And this situation pops up time and time again in games, and more often than not a given coach will run it, take off the forty secs (or an opposing timeout), and hope their D holds. 

But 4th and 2?  From your OWN 28?  Not so sure about that.  Given Manning's comeback history, you can't give him that short field. 

On another note, this is the third straight game where the Colts offense has been sloppy.  Dropped balls, bad routes leading to easy interceptions...hope they're getting it out of their systems in November, because in January you'll get killed playing that sloppy.  If this offense is sharp, it's unstoppable, but it hasn't been sharp this month. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #441 on: November 16, 2009, 10:46:37 AM »

The part I love most about the 4th & 2, is that it was close and they couldent challange it...

I think the right call was made, but I would have burned a challange on it just to be sure
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #442 on: November 16, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »

Brett Favre!

Fuck yeah!

SKOL Favre!!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #443 on: November 16, 2009, 06:41:07 PM »

I thought he was def. short

the call was stupid. even if they made it i'd still say it was stupid.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #444 on: November 21, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »

The part I love most about the 4th & 2, is that it was close and they couldent challange it...

I think the right call was made, but I would have burned a challange on it just to be sure
They burned all their timeouts so I don't think they could've challenged it.  I'm still not convinced it wasn't a first down.  It was close and when he caught the ball I initially thought he had it.

Obviously not a great call to go for it on 4th and 2, but the Pats did a lot of other things wrong in the game that led up to that point.  It wouldn't have mattered if Maroney didn't fumble the ball at the goal line, Brady didn't throw an INT in the endzone, the offense managed TD's instead of FG's, horrible clock management down the stretch, etc.  So while the 4th and 2 looks like a horrendous call, it really shouldn't have even come down to that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #445 on: November 23, 2009, 01:41:50 AM »

Brett Favre!

Fuck yeah!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #446 on: November 23, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »

Brett Favre!

Fuck yeah!

As of today: Top rated QB in the NFL.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #447 on: November 23, 2009, 12:44:13 PM »

Brett Favre!

Fuck yeah!

In all fairness though, he's had an insanely easy schedule compared to McNabb for example.

What a wild week in the NFL though, Gawd bless the NFL Network.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #448 on: November 23, 2009, 03:52:21 PM »

I'm amazed at how well Brett Favre is playing this season. I've always been a Favre hater. I was only a little kid when he went to those two Superbowls with the Packers, but even then I didn't like him. My friends and I often get into arguments about just how truly great Favre is. They think he's top three all time, whereas I think he belongs much farther down the list. Sure, he has a shitload of records, but that's because he's been so damn lucky with injuries. I think there's been a lot of QBs, that, given Favre's number of starts, would've surpassed his numbers. Me, I value a guy who protects the ball, limits mistakes, doesn't throw INTs, and Favre seems to throw at least 20 INTs every season. For every great moment he has, there's usually five or six where you're like, "What the hell was he thinking?"

I thought the Vikings were better off without him. I was wrong. The 21 TDs don't surprise me much, but only 3 INTs? That's amazing. It only took him like 20 years, but he's finally taking care of the ball instead of just slinging it downfield hoping his guy will come down with it.

I lost all respect for the guy during the last few seasons. I still think at some point the old Favre will surface, probably in the playoffs. But, right now, the Vikings look like the best team in the NFC.

Here Today . . .
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #449 on: November 23, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »

I'm amazed at how well Brett Favre is playing this season. I've always been a Favre hater. I was only a little kid when he went to those two Superbowls with the Packers, but even then I didn't like him. My friends and I often get into arguments about just how truly great Favre is. They think he's top three all time, whereas I think he belongs much farther down the list. Sure, he has a shitload of records, but that's because he's been so damn lucky with injuries. I think there's been a lot of QBs, that, given Favre's number of starts, would've surpassed his numbers. Me, I value a guy who protects the ball, limits mistakes, doesn't throw INTs, and Favre seems to throw at least 20 INTs every season. For every great moment he has, there's usually five or six where you're like, "What the hell was he thinking?"

I thought the Vikings were better off without him. I was wrong. The 21 TDs don't surprise me much, but only 3 INTs? That's amazing. It only took him like 20 years, but he's finally taking care of the ball instead of just slinging it downfield hoping his guy will come down with it.

I lost all respect for the guy during the last few seasons. I still think at some point the old Favre will surface, probably in the playoffs. But, right now, the Vikings look like the best team in the NFC.

When you have crappy receivers, you still have to try and make some plays happen, even if it includes putting the ball in a dangerous position.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #450 on: November 23, 2009, 06:36:28 PM »

Brett Favre!

Fuck yeah!

In all fairness though, he's had an insanely easy schedule compared to McNabb for example.

actually, McNabb has had a cake walk so far this season. the winning percentage of the eagles opponents has to be below .500. KC, OAK, CAR, TB, WASH, CHI. that should have been 6 wins right there. then they had 3 games against decent teams (SD, NYG, DAL) and one great team (NO).

but you are right about favre! WOW! i just checked their schedule and that is ridiculous! i did some really quick math (and some guessing of the records) and it looks like their opponents winning % is around .350. if i have time later, i'll look at it more closely. but that is unbelievably low.   

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #451 on: November 23, 2009, 11:33:27 PM »

Brett Favre!

Fuck yeah!

actually, McNabb has had a cake walk so far this season. the winning percentage of the eagles opponents has to be below .500. KC, OAK, CAR, TB, WASH, CHI. that should have been 6 wins right there. then they had 3 games against decent teams (SD, NYG, DAL) and one great team (NO).

but you are right about favre! WOW! i just checked their schedule and that is ridiculous! i did some really quick math (and some guessing of the records) and it looks like their opponents winning % is around .350. if i have time later, i'll look at it more closely. but that is unbelievably low.   

Of course it will be low if the Vikings are beating them.  Wink
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #452 on: November 25, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »

Brett Favre!

Fuck yeah!

That's one factor many people don't think of when discussing strength of schedule, whether it be Vikes, Saints, Colts, etc.  If you're 10-0 instead of 5-5, thats 5 more losses your opponents collectivelty have because you beat them.  If your 5-5, your opponents are "tougher" because they collectively have more wins, because they beat you. So a 5-5 team is in general going to have a schedule where their opponents have a collectively higher win percentage than a 10-0 team. 

I'm not suggesting some schedules aren't easier than others however, some divisions are tougher than others in addition to the luck of the draw.  For instance Baltimores schedule in comparison many of the top teams is much tougher. But  every year you have teams that are espected to do well and stink, then once the season starts there are teams that are better than what people thought.   isYou look at the Packer Bengals game at the beginning of the year and people considered that an "upset", fast forward to today and now that was not so much of an upset.   The Broncos, Jets, and Giants started out well in the beggining of the year but now a win against them doesn't look as sexy as it did 5 weeks ago.

To me putting too much creedence in strength of schedule is a backdoor way of counting moral victories...almost like playing the Colts tough for three quarters and losing should count more than blowing out the Rams.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #453 on: November 25, 2009, 01:28:32 PM »

Brett Favre!

Fuck yeah!

That's one factor many people don't think of when discussing strength of schedule, whether it be Vikes, Saints, Colts, etc.  If you're 10-0 instead of 5-5, thats 5 more losses your opponents collectivelty have because you beat them.  If your 5-5, your opponents are "tougher" because they collectively have more wins, because they beat you. So a 5-5 team is in general going to have a schedule where their opponents have a collectively higher win percentage than a 10-0 team. 

I'm not suggesting some schedules aren't easier than others however, some divisions are tougher than others in addition to the luck of the draw.  For instance Baltimores schedule in comparison many of the top teams is much tougher. But  every year you have teams that are espected to do well and stink, then once the season starts there are teams that are better than what people thought.   isYou look at the Packer Bengals game at the beginning of the year and people considered that an "upset", fast forward to today and now that was not so much of an upset.   The Broncos, Jets, and Giants started out well in the beggining of the year but now a win against them doesn't look as sexy as it did 5 weeks ago.

To me putting too much creedence in strength of schedule is a backdoor way of counting moral victories...almost like playing the Colts tough for three quarters and losing should count more than blowing out the Rams.

And there you have it, folks.  Nothing to see here, move along.

Juicy, just add your traditional slogan and all will be right in the world.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #454 on: November 25, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »

Brett Favre!

Fuck yeah!

And there you have it, folks.  Nothing to see here, move along.

Juicy, just add your traditional slogan and all will be right in the world.

SKOL FAVRE!!!!!!!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #455 on: November 29, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »

Brett Favre!

Fuck yeah!
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2009, 09:18:53 AM »

SKOL Favre!!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #457 on: November 30, 2009, 01:34:02 PM »

Favre?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #458 on: December 03, 2009, 07:35:24 PM »

Hey Freedom, Colts-Vikings in Super Bowl 44?  I can't wait until Brett Favre takes the call after winning Super Bowl 44, from the 44th president of the United States!!!!!!!!!!!  Fuckin' awesome.  Smiley

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #459 on: December 03, 2009, 08:34:06 PM »

Hey Freedom, Colts-Vikings in Super Bowl 44?  I can't wait until Brett Favre takes the call after winning Super Bowl 44, from the 44th president of the United States!!!!!!!!!!!  Fuckin' awesome.  Smiley

Oh no.

No.

NO.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Why'd ya have to go on and say a thing like that for???

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: