Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 05:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 202573 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #300 on: September 07, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »

Look what we have here. Another thug who's been arrested for choking his girlfriend. The NFL really needs to clean up and gets these thugs out of the league once and for all.

Chargers LB Shawne Merriman arrested in domestic call

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvYVLWaLyOAGXRIBTF63IwBDubYF?slug=ap-merrimanarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

Drew, take a breath and collect all the facts.  Look what happened with Roethlisberger...

On the Seymour trade...the Raiders are so fucking stupid.  I just don't understand why the hell they did that.  That #1 draft pick will be another Mayo for New England.  While I (like everybody) loves the Pats offense, their defense is suspect and it will cost them in the playoffs.  (like Freedom said...always stealin' my thunder Freedom! Smiley)
I'm a diehard Pats fan, and I hate to, but I have to agree with you both.  Unless the defense improves dramatically and hits its stride down the stretch, like the Cardinals did last year and the Colts did back when they won the Super Bowl.  You don't necessarily need to have an elite defense, all you need is to be clicking on all cylindars when it matters most.  But you're right, that's asking a lot right now.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #301 on: September 07, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »

NE though baffle me to a degree

why take the 2nd round pick for Cassel when Denver were offering them the 12th pick in the first round?

Raiders don't want to have to pay the huge guarantee those first round contracts call for.

NE did get my guy from Kentucky M.Pryor who is a big strong athletic Defensive lineman

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #302 on: September 07, 2009, 08:51:38 PM »

why take the 2nd round pick for Cassel when Denver were offering them the 12th pick in the first round?

Raiders don't want to have to pay the huge guarantee those first round contracts call for.

NE did get my guy from Kentucky M.Pryor who is a big strong athletic Defensive lineman

2011 will be the first year of the new CBA and they are expecting there to be a more defined rookie scale/cap in that draft. There will be no more Matt Ryan like contracts. That is why this trade is huge for the Pats, they weren't going to be able to sign Seymour and Wilfork (at this point in their careers Wilfork is the better player) so they went out and just picked up a top 5 (more likely a top 3) pick that they won't have to pay a ton. They also shaved almost 4 million off this years cap giving them the option of picking up a veteran D-End/D-Tackle to fill the gap.
Honestly ever since Seymour signed his last contract he has been on the down slope.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #303 on: September 07, 2009, 08:57:04 PM »

On the Seymour trade...the Raiders are so fucking stupid.  I just don't understand why the hell they did that.  That #1 draft pick will be another Mayo for New England.  While I (like everybody) loves the Pats offense, their defense is suspect and it will cost them in the playoffs.  (like Freedom said...always stealin' my thunder Freedom! Smiley)
I'm a diehard Pats fan, and I hate to, but I have to agree with you both.  Unless the defense improves dramatically and hits its stride down the stretch, like the Cardinals did last year and the Colts did back when they won the Super Bowl.  You don't necessarily need to have an elite defense, all you need is to be clicking on all cylindars when it matters most.  But you're right, that's asking a lot right now.

On the other hand, this is why the Pats keep losing key pieces and remain competitive.  It seems like they have two first round picks every year...one in the first 15 that some crappy team traded away and one in the high 20s/low 30s for their own performance.  Also, it's worth mentioning that really good teams can make a single player seem better.  Sure, Seymour is a very strong player, but it doesn't hurt that he's on what has been a great team.  When you have other strong players around you, you all seem great.  A defense with a bunch of strong players but no stars is better than one with a great player and a bunch of nobodies.  This won't fix Oakland.  Their D was 27th last year.  Maybe this bumps them up to 22nd-24th?  Gets them one more win?  Hard to say, since it's a team sport, but if Oakland breaks 7 wins I'll be surprised.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #304 on: September 07, 2009, 10:01:37 PM »

I forgot the exact timing of the whole thing, but the reason the Pats took the Chiefs deal is because the Broncos came into the fold too late.  They had to get the deal done by a certain date because of the cap hit with Vrabel.  Again, I don't remember the specifics, but there was a definite reason.  It wasn't that they wanted a 2nd rounder instead of a first, though that may have played into it if they didn't feel there was good enough value at #12.  But yeah, the reason they're trading for picks 2 years from now is because of the impending rookie draft cap.

And Oakland has been so bad for so long I guess I can see why they wouldn't want to shell out guaranteed money for an unsure thing.  But like freedom said, I don't think this deal makes a whole lot of sense for them.  Sure Seymour will improve their defense but it's highly unlikely he'll make the team that much better overall.  The other parts just aren't there.  Is that worth a future first round pick to them?  To go 6-10 instead of 4-12?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2009, 08:40:06 AM »

season starts in one more day! it's prediction time!

NFC Division Winners: Giants, Saints, Packers, Seahawks
NFC Wild Cards: Rams, Bears

AFC Division Winners: Chargers, Titans, Ravens, Pats
AFC Wild Cards: Jets, Texans

SB: Titans over Giants

i don't feel very strongly about these picks, but i do believe the seahawks, saints, rams, jets, texans will improve and have very good seasons. and i think the Cards, Falcons, Dolphins, Colts, Steelers will take a step back.

and here's my NFC East predictions since this is the one i follow closely...

giants 12-4
eagles 8-8
cowboys 8-8
skins 6-10

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2009, 04:51:56 PM »

U got the Rams in the playoffs!!!!!! That is bold

AFC:
1.New England
2.Tennessee
3.Pittsburgh
4.San Diego

wildcard
Baltimore
Indy

NFC
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Seattle
Minnesota

Wildcard
Dallas
New Orleans

Super Bowl

Tennessee over Philadelphia 

gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2009, 02:09:54 AM »

AFC
Patriots
Chargers
Steelers
Colts
Texans--- wildcard
Ravens--- wildcard

The AFC is pretty easy to pick. Barring significant injuries, you know the Steelers, Colts, Patriots and Chargers will all be in the playoffs. And there's only a few other AFC teams I could see making the playoffs: Texans, Ravens, Titans, possibly the Jaguars. I think the Bengals are going to be one of more improved teams this year; they could possibly sneak in as a wildcard, but I doubt it.

NFC
Falcons
Packers
Eagles
49ers
Cowboys--- wildcard
Giants--- wildcard

The NFC is a lot harder to predict. I could see just about any team making the playoffs except for the Lions, Rams, and Buccaneers.

Superbowl: Eagles over the Chargers!!!

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »

Looks like it'll be darn near impossible to run agains the Steelers or the Titans this year, but that's not really a big surprise.

In other news, this whole Richard Seymour situation is getting crazier by the minute.

Reports: Five-day letter sent to Seymour
Link|Comments (2) Posted by Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff September 10, 2009 10:21 PM
According to reports out of the Bay Area and ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Oakland Raiders have sent Richard Seymour a "five-day letter," tonight notifying him that he has five days to report to the Raiders or he'll be placed on the reserve/did not report list, which would put him out for the season.

Placement on the list would also prevent Seymour, who is in the final year of his contract, from earning another accrued season of NFL service. Without 2009 as an accrued season, Seymour would not be a eligible for unrestricted free agency following this season.

The Raiders decision to send Seymour the letter is good news for the Patriots. It is basically an admission by Oakland that Seymour, who was traded to Oakland on Sunday for a 2011 first-round pick, is now their property and their problem, not that of the Patriots.

Furthermore, under the collective bargaining agreement the Raiders could go after the pro-rated portion of Seymour's signing bonus from the $30-plus million deal he signed with the Patriots in 2006.

Seymour was scheduled to make $3.685 million this year, but carry a $9.79 million cap charge, as the result of pro-rated workout and bonus payments.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2009, 01:59:09 AM »

I miss the days when NFL players were warriors not businessmen.  If a player got traded like Seymour in the 70's they would be out to prove something to the team that got rid of them.  That is how Al Davis had so much success for over 40 years, he would pick up renegade players that nobody else wanted or were screwed over by their former teams and they would kick ass and take names with the Raiders.  Al Davis's mentality does not work anymore because players are a bunch of spoiled pussies who care more about their career than winning.  They are paid such an obscene amount of money there is no motivation to be great.  Sure there are exceptions like Brady, Manning etc..but the league is full of selfish prima donnas   Before this mess of the last 6 years, the Raiders had the highest winning percentage in the history of all the 4 major sports.  Their history(minus the last 6 years) is very impressive.  3 Super Bowl wins, 5 AFC championships, 15 division titles.  That's why when people say what a terrible owner Al Davis is I cant help but laugh.  Up until this rut they are in now, The Raiders never had back to back 10 loss seasons under Al Davis...in over 40 years!!!  Look throughout history, every team has gotten themselves into a rut at some point. This just happens to be the Raiders turn.  Some of Davis's recent moves have been unorthodox and have failed miserably.  But he has had decades of unorthodox moves and they have usually paid off.  Al Davis is one of if not the greatest owner in the history of the NFL, and to see him top the list of worst owners is crazy to me. Ask any fan if they would like to have their team perform the way Davis's teams have over the last 50 years, you would have to be crazy to say no.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »

I miss the days when NFL players were warriors not businessmen.  If a player got traded like Seymour in the 70's they would be out to prove something to the team that got rid of them.  That is how Al Davis had so much success for over 40 years, he would pick up renegade players that nobody else wanted or were screwed over by their former teams and they would kick ass and take names with the Raiders.  Al Davis's mentality does not work anymore because players are a bunch of spoiled pussies who care more about their career than winning.  They are paid such an obscene amount of money there is no motivation to be great.  Sure there are exceptions like Brady, Manning etc..but the league is full of selfish prima donnas   Before this mess of the last 6 years, the Raiders had the highest winning percentage in the history of all the 4 major sports.  Their history(minus the last 6 years) is very impressive.  3 Super Bowl wins, 5 AFC championships, 15 division titles.  That's why when people say what a terrible owner Al Davis is I cant help but laugh.  Up until this rut they are in now, The Raiders never had back to back 10 loss seasons under Al Davis...in over 40 years!!!  Look throughout history, every team has gotten themselves into a rut at some point. This just happens to be the Raiders turn.  Some of Davis's recent moves have been unorthodox and have failed miserably.  But he has had decades of unorthodox moves and they have usually paid off.  Al Davis is one of if not the greatest owner in the history of the NFL, and to see him top the list of worst owners is crazy to me. Ask any fan if they would like to have their team perform the way Davis's teams have over the last 50 years, you would have to be crazy to say no.

Amen.  Oakland gave away a first round pick (too much!) for Seymour and he'll make millions of dollars with the opportunity to prove New England wrong...and he doesn't show?  The egos of these people just stun you again and again.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »

Let's remember something here. Seymour has played his entire career in New England and given them a great effort. There's also family to consider who would need to pick up and move. Not to mention that the Raiders are the worst run organization in all of professional sports. Coaches getting in fistfights, Al Davis insanity, etc. Who can blame the guy?

Do you know why players aren't warriors anymore? Because they get old to become brain damaged shells of themselves who wonder what it was all worth. Just look at some of those ex-Steelers.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
SpecialAgentCooper
Rocker

« Reply #312 on: September 12, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »

Posted by: LunsJail 
Let's remember something here. Seymour has played his entire career in New England and given them a great effort. There's also family to consider who would need to pick up and move. Not to mention that the Raiders are the worst run organization in all of professional sports. Coaches getting in fistfights, Al Davis insanity, etc. Who can blame the guy?

Do you know why players aren't warriors anymore? Because they get old to become brain damaged shells of themselves who wonder what it was all worth. Just look at some of those ex-Steelers.

Amen

2012 is like Christmas!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #313 on: September 12, 2009, 01:58:37 AM »

Who can blame the guy?  It is his fucking job to show up and play football.  He gets paid more in 1 year than most of us will ever make in our lives, and you are going to defend him for not doing his job?  Thats crazy
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #314 on: September 12, 2009, 03:32:39 AM »

Well, Seymour was traded from a perennial Superbowl favorite to a team that'll be lucky to win four games, so I can't blame him for not exactly rushing out to Oakland. I wouldn't want to play for them, either. They call it the black hole for a reason. It's where players go to die.

Here Today . . .
sandman
Legend

« Reply #315 on: September 12, 2009, 08:09:47 AM »

seymour is a pampered little girl. just another example of how out of touch athletes are. trades are part fo the game. if you don't like the rules, get out. and he's a has-been.

eagles starting RT....winston justice. OUCH!

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #316 on: September 12, 2009, 09:39:54 AM »

seymour is a pampered little girl. just another example of how out of touch athletes are. trades are part fo the game. if you don't like the rules, get out. and he's a has-been.

And the NFL has FAR fewer trades than MLB, for example.  If you're a good player on a crappy team, you'll inevitably be shipped somewhere at some point in the season.  Just ask every Pirates star for the past 15 years. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #317 on: September 12, 2009, 10:54:51 AM »

I think its the fact Oakland can now franchise him next season.

he feels betrayed and I can't blame him for having emotions. These guys are humans too.

He will play though.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #318 on: September 12, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »

They call it the black hole for a reason. It's where players go to die.

Really?  Cause the last time I checked they had like 20 hall of famers.  The league gave up on Jerry Rice in 2000 and Al Davis brought him on  and it rejuvenated his career.  Mike Shanahan gave up on Romanowski so he went to the Raiders in 2002 and reeked havoc on the Bronoco's, beating them twice ,one game that clinched the division title.  Not too mention he knocked Shannon Sharpe out for the year in one game and Brian Griese in another.  Rod Woodson is another example of guy who got a second run with the Raiders.  Sure you get prima donnas here and there like Moss who don't work out, but the Raiders and Al Davis have a rich history of reviving guys careers.  But this day in age where players care more about their signing bonus than breaking guys jaws and winning games the mentality of Al Davis doesnt work, as I stated in my above post.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:13:30 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #319 on: September 12, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »

Alright folks, here are your Week 1 Stone Cold Locks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vikings -3 1/2   The Browns are a mess...and the Vikes are really loaded.

Panthers +2 1/2   like Sandman mentioned, the Eagles are in trouble - Justice is horrible, and Westbrook's not Westbrook right now.  Starting mid linebacker out...yikes.  Plus the game's in Carolina.  Deangelo, Stewart, and Steve Smith, Julius Peppers...this is a no-brainer. 

*for entertainment purposes only.

(any other locks out there?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh)

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: