Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:30:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 202599 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #280 on: September 02, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »

So the Greedy Ass NFL has a multi billion dollar TV contract, but yet games are blacked out? I don't get it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »

Pilferk's right.  Ticket prices can't keep going up and up and up as people can't afford the tickets.

...and yeah, here's to Favre keeping up the great work through the season.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »

Personal Seat Licenses will hurt the game even more.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #283 on: September 02, 2009, 06:45:26 PM »

unfortunately, nothing seems to hurt the NFL. they have stuck to their guns are key issues and it seems to always pay off. and i disagree with much of what they do, but they are the best run sports league.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #284 on: September 02, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »

unfortunately, nothing seems to hurt the NFL. they have stuck to their guns are key issues and it seems to always pay off. and i disagree with much of what they do, but they are the best run sports league.

absolutely.   yes

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #285 on: September 02, 2009, 09:20:46 PM »

I can't remember the last time a home game was blacked out 'round here. 

I suppose it sucks to live in Detroit.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2009, 09:42:26 AM »

That's the type of shit the Blackhawks owner used to pull.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »

Patriots DL Richard Seymour was traded to the Raiders for a 2011 1st round pick. 

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/09/richard_seymour_1.html

Richard Seymour analysis
Email|Link|Comments (31) Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff September 6, 2009 11:10 AM

ANALYSIS

In a shocking move, the Patriots have traded five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman Richard Seymour to the Raiders today, the team confirmed. The Patriots will receive a 2011 first-round draft choice, according to a source familiar with the trade.

Seymour, 29, has been an integral part of the Patriots? three Super Bowl teams. He was entering the last year of his contract, and was due to make $3.685 million. That money now comes off the Patriots? salary cap.

With several key players with contracts set to expire after the season, the Patriots must have felt that re-signing Seymour wasn?t likely, so they decided to get what they deemed fair value now.

In acquiring a first-round draft choice in 2011, the Patriots appear to have the NFL?s uncertain labor forecast in mind. That could be the first year with a rookie cap. The economics of top first-round draft choices currently make those choices undesirable, but with a cap, the value of those picks could skyrocket.

The flip side of the strategy, however, is that there is no guarantee of a rookie cap. Also, if owners and players can?t agree on a new collective bargaining agreement, there is no guarantee that there will be football in 2011. Furthermore, while the Raiders have struggled in recent years, there is no certainty the pick will be in the top half of the round.

The Patriots are deep along the defensive line, with starters Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork returning. Jarvis Green (7th year), Mike Wright (5th year), Ron Brace (second-round draft choice) and Myron Pryor (sixth-round draft choice) round out the depth chart.

Wilfork's contract is due to expire after this season. The Seymour trade could spark a resolution with his situation.

More on this major move to come.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #288 on: September 06, 2009, 04:18:16 PM »

Look what we have here. Another thug who's been arrested for choking his girlfriend. The NFL really needs to clean up and gets these thugs out of the league once and for all.

Chargers LB Shawne Merriman arrested in domestic call

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvYVLWaLyOAGXRIBTF63IwBDubYF?slug=ap-merrimanarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #289 on: September 06, 2009, 06:18:52 PM »

The Seymour trade is further verification that the Patriots are the smartest run organization in the NFL, whereas the Raiders are the stupidest.

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »

The Seymour trade is further verification that the Patriots are the smartest run organization in the NFL, whereas the Raiders are the stupidest.
I'll agree it's a great trade for the Pats, for the future.  As for the present though, it makes them a little worse.  Granted Seymour's play has declined a little over the last few years and he's been a bit injury prone over his career.  It was pretty clear they weren't going to re-sign him after this year and they have Wilfork and Brady to pay big $'s to.  So I guess they felt the time was right to trade him now while his value was at its highest.  Getting a #1 from Oakland could end up being a very high pick if they continue being one of the worst teams in the league, and I'd say that's pretty likely.  And Oakland gave up a 1st rounder for a guy they're only guaranteed to have for ONE season.  If they want him any longer they'll have to shell out the dough, because Seymour will get paid handsomely somewhere.

So it is a good deal for New England, but I'm still highly concerned with their defense for THIS season.  They've gotten much younger, which is good.  But they haven't gotten any better.  Hopefully they'll progress as the season goes along.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »

Sorry guys, but trading your defensive heart and soul and leader is never a great idea IMO.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #292 on: September 07, 2009, 12:05:19 AM »

Sorry guys, but trading your defensive heart and soul and leader is never a great idea IMO.

When you play in a "system," any part is interchangeable.

See: last year's QB situation in NE.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #293 on: September 07, 2009, 12:34:22 AM »

I don't know, u lose Bruschi to retirement and now Seymour

Team Chemistry is def not overrated

Last I checked they missed the playoffs last season with Cassel

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #294 on: September 07, 2009, 12:40:23 AM »

I don't know, u lose Bruschi to retirement and now Seymour

Team Chemistry is def not overrated

Last I checked they missed the playoffs last season with Cassel

Just barely.  A QB with relatively no experience lead the team to 10 victories (or something like that) in a tough conference.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #295 on: September 07, 2009, 01:47:03 AM »

they did survive letting Willie McGinest go

I no longer question Belicheck but losing Bruschi and Seymour may be a bit hard to overcome. Of course getting a fucking first round pick for a lineman is huge

Hell Dallas gave a 1 and a 3 for an overrated shit WR like Roy Williams.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:50:11 AM by D » Logged

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2009, 09:41:40 AM »

It doesn't take "smartest" to take advantage of "stupidest". 

The Raiders...seriously, their business should be subject to fan approval or something.  Trading away a piece you can't re-sign is a normal part of the game.  Getting a first round pick for almost any player is nuts, if only because of the short careers the NFL often breeds.  Hell, just draft the best DE you can find next year, who can be paid less and play for 9 years longer. 

Hey Al...Colts'll give you Jim Sorgi for a high second round pick!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »

It doesn't take "smartest" to take advantage of "stupidest". 

The Raiders...seriously, their business should be subject to fan approval or something.  Trading away a piece you can't re-sign is a normal part of the game.  Getting a first round pick for almost any player is nuts, if only because of the short careers the NFL often breeds.  Hell, just draft the best DE you can find next year, who can be paid less and play for 9 years longer. 

Hey Al...Colts'll give you Jim Sorgi for a high second round pick!
Yeah the thing I don't get from the Raiders persepctive.  I've heard their analysts, beat writers, etc. say that they made the deal because Seymour was a guy they NEEDED to have, to help shore up their run defense.  NEEDED?  What, to go 5-11 instead of 4-12?

The Bruschi loss won't hurt the Pats at all on the field.  He had been a bit player for the last couple of years.  He'll still be close to the team.  I know he was a leader on the field, but again not as much in recent years.  His role had been reduced and Jerod Mayo is 50 times the player he is at this point in their careers.  They also have capable backups to fill in for Seymour in Jarvis Green, Mike Wright, rookies Ron Brace and Myron Pryor.  His loss will be tougher to overcome, but I think they'll manage.  With Seymour the Pats defense wasn't very good anyway.  Now it may be even worse, but I don't think they go down that much.  It definately is a changing of the guard though with guys like McGinest, Samuel, Harrison, Vrabel, Bruschi, and now Seymour all gone.  Out with the old, in with the new.  Samuel was the biggest mistake.  While I do think he's a tad overrated, they haven't found anyone that comes close to replacing him yet.  Their secondary should be a little better this year but they need to get a pass rush, and 2 of their best pass rushers from last season are no longer with the team (Vrabel and Seymour).  The young guys better be ready to step it up.

All in all, I think Belichick and the Patriots organization would agree that trading Seymour doesn't make them a better team for this year.  But they felt like they'd never get a deal close to what they got from Oakland, and they could manage his loss with what they've got on the roster.  So they pulled the trigger.  They just better be ready to win games like the Colts used to back before they had a defense, because they're built quite similarly.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »

They just better be ready to win games like the Colts used to back before they had a defense, because they're built quite similarly.

Trust me when I say this makes for a very fun REGULAR season.  Great O, lame D?  Spells a playoff washout in all but a very few cases (St. Louis, w/ Faulk, Holt, Warner, Bruce...). 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2009, 07:46:40 PM »

Look what we have here. Another thug who's been arrested for choking his girlfriend. The NFL really needs to clean up and gets these thugs out of the league once and for all.

Chargers LB Shawne Merriman arrested in domestic call

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvYVLWaLyOAGXRIBTF63IwBDubYF?slug=ap-merrimanarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

Drew, take a breath and collect all the facts.  Look what happened with Roethlisberger...

On the Seymour trade...the Raiders are so fucking stupid.  I just don't understand why the hell they did that.  That #1 draft pick will be another Mayo for New England.  While I (like everybody) loves the Pats offense, their defense is suspect and it will cost them in the playoffs.  (like Freedom said...always stealin' my thunder Freedom! Smiley)

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: