Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:29:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 202721 times)
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2009, 01:41:09 AM »

I'm with D on this. I mean, I don't like Plaxico--- he caught too many TD passes against my beloved Eagles--- but his possible jail sentence is fucking ridiculous. I get that he broke the law. What he did was incredibly stupid. But nobody was hurt. He shot HIMSELF. That right there is punishment enough. The gun WAS licensed--- just not in New York. I would think a reasonable punishment would be like 30 days in jail, some community service, some house arrest, stuff like that. But fucking 3 1/2 to 15 years in prison!?!?!?! Some rapists don't even get that. Stallworth drove drunk and killed a guy, and he only gets 30 days. That's not enough time. Vick did horrible inhumane things to animals and he got 2 years, which I think was fair. Plax's crime is far, far, far less severe. Again, he shot HIMSELF. And yet he could end up doing far more time than either of those guys.

I'm sure as hell glad I don't live in New York. Their justice system is fucked.

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #201 on: August 05, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »

I don't think they take intent into account when these situations occur.  If I bring a bomb onto a plane without any plans to detonate it, is that alright?

The guy broke the law, he had no license to carry/own the gun.  If he had taken that one crucial step he may have a leg to stand on.  But he's a famous athlete and apparently thinks the law doesn't apply to him.

Gilee's with D on this one, and I'm with Faldor.   peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #202 on: August 05, 2009, 11:10:03 PM »

I'm with D on this. I mean, I don't like Plaxico--- he caught too many TD passes against my beloved Eagles--- but his possible jail sentence is fucking ridiculous. I get that he broke the law. What he did was incredibly stupid. But nobody was hurt. He shot HIMSELF. That right there is punishment enough. The gun WAS licensed--- just not in New York. I would think a reasonable punishment would be like 30 days in jail, some community service, some house arrest, stuff like that. But fucking 3 1/2 to 15 years in prison!?!?!?! Some rapists don't even get that. Stallworth drove drunk and killed a guy, and he only gets 30 days. That's not enough time. Vick did horrible inhumane things to animals and he got 2 years, which I think was fair. Plax's crime is far, far, far less severe. Again, he shot HIMSELF. And yet he could end up doing far more time than either of those guys.

I'm sure as hell glad I don't live in New York. Their justice system is fucked.
I realize the outcome of the Plaxico situation wasn't that bad for anyone but him since he just shot himself.  But who knows what could've happened.  What if the gun accidentally went off and someone else was shot?  You could argue that Donte Stallworth never intended to hit anyone while driving drunk either.  What he did was bad and illegal.  Plaxico didn't mean for the gun to go off but what he did was wrong and illegal.  If Donte got into a non fatal accident and Plaxico accidentally killed someone with a stray bullet would there be a difference?  It would still be a complete accident, just with an unfortunate ending.  I agree, Stallworth seems to be getting off kind of light, though I haven't read all the reports.  But Plaxico deserves what he has coming to him.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2009, 05:22:36 PM »

Faldor quit rewriting history

What happened happened. had it shot somebody he'd be in jail and no one would complain.

If Donte didn't kill someone, of course we wouldn't care

but wake up dude. Donte did KILL somebody, Plaxico gave himself a flesh wound.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #204 on: August 06, 2009, 05:38:01 PM »

What happened happened. had it shot somebody he'd be in jail and no one would complain.

The law's the law.  Just because I think a law is wrong, doesn't mean I go out and commit the crime.
Plaxico was wrong.  He belongs in jail for 3 1/2 years according to the law.
Intent doesn't have a damn thing to do with this law as far as I know.  Just because he didn't have the intent to hurt anybody, that's not the problem here.  The problem is that he had the fucking gun there in the first place.

He'll probably be out in a year with good behavior...he's still a fucking dumb-ass asshole though.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2009, 02:42:18 AM »

Plaxico deserves to go to jail for being one dumb motherfucker.  He is in the NFL, the NFL provides security for their players whenever they want to go out. THere is NO reason for him to be carrying a gun around. He is a stupid fuck who has no business owning a gun.  He should go to jail for for the max,  he is LUCKY he didn't kill someone..fuck this guy.  Then again you can't blame him, he is a jock, therefore he is a moron.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:44:22 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »

D, your anger should be focused toward the pathetic judicial system we have. We have judges in certain parts of this country who let child molesters off with a slap on the wrist. rant

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2009, 06:06:08 AM »

D, your anger should be focused toward the pathetic judicial system we have. We have judges in certain  ALL  parts of this country who let child molesters off with a slap on the wrist. rant

Drew, good post, but I made it more accurate. Wink

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2009, 01:32:36 PM »

That is my outrage

did Plax break the law? Yes
should he get jail time? YES

but it is hard to not compare it to other stuff and once u start doing that, it just seems very ridiculous.

drug dealers get less time than Plax would for shooting himself.

I don't think a victimless crime like this, deserves that harsh of a sentence. I think he should get probation.

gilee7
VIP

« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2009, 12:57:10 AM »

LOL. D, your avatar is hilarious!

Here Today . . .
sandman
Legend

« Reply #210 on: August 09, 2009, 09:16:16 AM »

plax should have to serve every day of that sentence. it may seem out of whack compared to other crimes, but those crimes should reuire MORE time.

eagles season seems doomed to me. all the adversity so far reminds me of their crazy 2005 offseason, and it's gonna be too much to overcome. preseason games haven't even started and here's a list of problems they've already faced:

Dawkins let go
B-West injured
Bradley out for season
O-Line banged up
Defense coordinator died
Maclin held out
Brown unhappy
Juqua arrested
Ingram out for season

that's just crazy.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #211 on: August 09, 2009, 06:28:02 PM »

plax should have to serve every day of that sentence. it may seem out of whack compared to other crimes, but those crimes should reuire MORE time.

eagles season seems doomed to me. all the adversity so far reminds me of their crazy 2005 offseason, and it's gonna be too much to overcome. preseason games haven't even started and here's a list of problems they've already faced:

Dawkins let go
B-West injured
Bradley out for season
O-Line banged up
Defense coordinator died
Maclin held out
Brown unhappy
Juqua arrested
Ingram out for season

that's just crazy.

Sandman, I love it when I agree with your posts!  It provides balance in the universe.   beer 
Yes, it's started out pretty rough for the Birds this off-season...but, perhaps we could find some positive kernels of hope, like:

Donovan's not hurt
The Eagles actually drafted a 1st round talent wide receiver
The Eagles o-line (if healthy) could be one of the best in the entire league
the Eagles get to play the Cowboys twice without T.O.
The Eagles get to play the G-Men twice without Plaxico
...and Andy Reid hasn't had a massive heart attack...yet!  The guy better lose some weight.

That said, McCoy better be the real deal, because he's gonna be playing a lot this season.  I love Westbrook and all...but he'd have to be high up there on a list of guys you'd predict will get hurt this season.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #212 on: August 09, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »

If u Eagle fans are expecting us Cowboys to be worse without TO, u are in a for a shock.

Team Chemistry is the main thing in sports and ours got a whole lot better.
now Romo will be free to find the open man and not worry about TO bitching at him everytime he doesn't touch the ball. Dallas can also use their three headed RB monster and our D is amazing as usual.

Roy Williams is no TO but he is good enough receiver.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #213 on: August 09, 2009, 09:45:15 PM »

i'm not expecting the cowboys to be any worse. but they still have Romo so they're not a threat.

eagles are just loaded with questions marks. on paper, there's alot of potential, but the chances of it all working out are slim.

speaking of slim, Reid has lost 75 pounds as of a couple weeks ago. he's still huge but at least he's finally heading in the right direction.

gilee7
VIP

« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »

As an Eagles fan, my Superbowl aspirations for this season are quickly fading. Everything was perfect just a few months ago. Now everything's falling apart. With the way things are going, I think Reid should just let the practice squad play the entirety of the preseason.

However, I still think the Eagles are one of the best teams in the NFC. I'm really worried about the defense, but the offense should be very good. Westbrook's supposedly way ahead of schedule; he should be fine by week one. McCoy looks really, really good. The O-line is banged up right now, but the Eagles have solid depth there--- reserves like Nick Cole came in and played well last year--- and, when healthy, that O-line should be one of the very best. Maclin may take some time to get integrated into the offense, but, when he does, he'll be an exciting playmaker. The Ingram injury hurts. Everyone was saying how the Eagles got a steal, how he was a first-round talent; now he's out for the season. Hopefully Brent Celek plays like he did at the end of last year.

I actually think this is the best offense Donovan's ever had. I mean, DeSean Jackson isn't T.O., but Freddy Mitchell and Pinkston are no longer our other WRs, either. Jackson, Maclin, Basket, Avant, Curtis, Reggie Brown, Brent Celek, along with Westbrook and McCoy--- I think that's pretty good, especially if Maclin develops as fast as Jackson did last year.

Defense . . . The Eagles aren't going to miss Dawkins. Not on the field, at least. And I trust the new defensive coordinator to pretty much just stick with Johnson's philosophy. The Bradley injury is huge, though. He played great last year. The Eagles had the 3rd-ranked defense last year. It won't be as good this year, probably, but I still think it can be top-ten.

In my opinion, the Eagles are better than the Giants and the Redskins. I think both the Cowboys and Eagles will make the playoffs; I don't know which will win the divison.

The Eagles aren't the only team facing adversity. Several teams have lost players to injury, or have key guys holding out. Besides, in Donovan I trust. As long as he's healthy, this team can go far (at least, as far the NFC Championship game, where we seem to permanently reside).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 08:30:56 AM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
sandman
Legend

« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »

Eagles team defense rankings under Jim Johnson:

1999: 22nd
2000: 4th
2001: 2nd
2002: 2nd
2003: 7th
2004: 3rd
2005: 27th
2006: 16th
2007: 9th
2008: 4th

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #216 on: August 10, 2009, 06:44:54 PM »

The least talked about NFC East team always seems to be the 'skins.  I'm telling you right now, mark it down, if Haynesworth stays healthy, they will be an awesome defense this year. 
If their qb didn't suck ass (I'm a Vikes fan, so I'm one to talk! ha  hihi) the 'skins could be a legit force. 
I foresee a lot of smashmouth grind-it-out low-scoring games with the Redskins this season.  Their defense looks fucking good.  Especially if Orakpo lights things up as a rookie, they could be scary good.

Here's how I see the East.  The Giants won't finish in 1st...and the Redskins won't finish last.  What else happens is anybody's guess.  Dallas will be a very good team...not because they lost TO, but because they won't be bruised and battered.  Marion and Felix...throw in Tashard, that's a helluva backfield along with a highly-ranked o-line...Romo's a very good qb, and Williams and Witten are among the best at their positions.

The team that stays healthiest through 17 weeks will likely take the NFC East. 

p.s. congrats to Reid...75 lbs.? seriously, wtf? did he make it to 450 lbs. in the off-season?  yikes.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #217 on: August 11, 2009, 10:48:26 AM »

NFC East is the toughest in the league. i'm not gonna make any predictions this early cause the teams are so good and fairly evenly matched.

but i will say that the Giants will probably be in every game they play. incredible defense and running game. if Eli makes a few plays they win most games. beating the giants will be difficult and i can't envision them getting completely outplayed. 

gilee7
VIP

« Reply #218 on: August 11, 2009, 12:21:55 PM »

NFC East is the toughest in the league. i'm not gonna make any predictions this early cause the teams are so good and fairly evenly matched.

but i will say that the Giants will probably be in every game they play. incredible defense and running game. if Eli makes a few plays they win most games. beating the giants will be difficult and i can't envision them getting completely outplayed. 

Top to bottom, the NFC East is definitely the toughest division in football. However, I just don't see the Giants being a major threat this season. They were a different team last year without Plaxico. Without him on the field, opposing defenses can just stack the box and stop the run, forcing Eli to beat them, which he can't do without Plax. They have one of the worst WR corps in the league right now. And when Brandon Jacobs misses his 4-5 games due to injury, they no longer have Derrick Ward to pick up the slack. I think they take a step back this season.

Here Today . . .
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »

Vick just signed with the Eagles, two year deal as reported by ESPN.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: