Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:47:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 202802 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2009, 07:27:43 PM »

The Vikes are giving Favre till the end of the week to make up his mind.  Brett, if you're here reading this man, we want you in Minnesota!!!  There, that should do it!  He's as good as purple and gold now!   hihi

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2009, 01:35:57 PM »

If Favre did get the surgury as reported, I imagine will will be seeing Favre in purple this year....skol vikes!!  I live on the border of MN/WI so I have many Packer fan friends, man it is going to be a great year if it happens!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »

If Favre did get the surgury as reported, I imagine will will be seeing Favre in purple this year....skol vikes!!  I live on the border of MN/WI so I have many Packer fan friends, man it is going to be a great year if it happens!

Holy shit!!!!!!!  It is going to happen!!!  He had the surgery in May.  New report out today that there was never a deadline given for Favre to make up his mind.  Apparently, we'll find out more in July.  More news, Favre's family has booked 35 to 40 rooms at a motel/lodge in Green Bay for November 1st.  Hmm, it just happens to be the same date as Vikings-Packers!!!  That's a lot of folks to just go and watch a game reminiscing.

Favre's gonna be a Viking!!!!!!!!!!!  It's Super Bowl time baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   beer

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2009, 02:58:56 AM »

The Vikings are better off without Favre. Really, what does he bring to the team? Even if he's an upgrade over what they have now, he's only going to play one season, and he isn't going to turn the team into a Superbowl contender. People are too disillusioned by his name and what he's done in the past. He's been bad more than he's been good during the last few seasons. Plus his body failed him last year. I highly doubt he'll be able to make it through another season.

Sage Rosenfells would probably be better at this point. Heck, I thought Tavarius Jackson played decent near the end of the season last year. Give him an opportunity to grow, see if he can take another step.

Look at what happened in NY last year. They got rid of Pennington to bring in Favre. Pennington goes on to have a great season, leads a 1-15 team to a division title. Favre doesn't even make the playoffs, and now the team has a new coach and a new QB and is basically starting all over.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:01:30 AM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2009, 08:53:16 PM »

The Vikings are better off without Favre. Really, what does he bring to the team? Even if he's an upgrade over what they have now, he's only going to play one season, and he isn't going to turn the team into a Superbowl contender. People are too disillusioned by his name and what he's done in the past. He's been bad more than he's been good during the last few seasons. Plus his body failed him last year. I highly doubt he'll be able to make it through another season.

Sage Rosenfells would probably be better at this point. Heck, I thought Tavarius Jackson played decent near the end of the season last year. Give him an opportunity to grow, see if he can take another step.

Look at what happened in NY last year. They got rid of Pennington to bring in Favre. Pennington goes on to have a great season, leads a 1-15 team to a division title. Favre doesn't even make the playoffs, and now the team has a new coach and a new QB and is basically starting all over.

Gilee, you know I normally agree with your posts...but on this one I've got to disagree.
1st, Pennington probably won't even be starting by mid-season.  Kudos to Chad and the fins last year, but this season they'll crash to earth sub-.500 guaranteed.
2nd, Favre started 8-3 before his biceps/shoulder injury.  If there's any blame to be laid at Favre's feet, it's that he's too proud to admit he's hurt.  The man would play if his leg was ripped off!  He was injured and played that way at the end of the season.  If he doesn't get injured, they're in the playoffs.
3rd, who says he'd only be a one year player?  He got the surgery done, and he's got a hell of a history of being durable. 
4th, ask Berrian, Rice, Harvin, and Adrian Peterson who they'd rather have back there...something tells me they'd love having Brett Favre on their side!
5th, Tarvaris is a stiff.  He padded his stats in a meaningless game at home against the Cards who didn't need the win at all (their division was all wrapped up)  4 td's and 0 picks.  It was garbage time for a qb who can't make plays under pressure.  I do like Rosenfels, but to say I'd want him over Brett Favre is madness. 
6th, how cool would it be to see another team put 8 in the box challenging the Vikes to throw?  If they do, Favre will tear 'em up...if they don't, Adrian Peterson will kill 'em...

I'm upbeat about this.  I really think we'll get him...and if we do, I see 12 wins as a real possibility.
I may have jumped the gun a tad by saying Super Bowl...because the NFC East scares the shit out of me.   nervous

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2009, 02:13:43 AM »

We'll see, Axl4Prez. I'm biased anyway because I've never liked Favre to begin with, even when he was good. And I like him even less now with the way he's retired, unretired, retired, unretired. He's become a primadonna. Even now, everybody knows he's going to play for the Vikings. Why not just go ahead and get it over with it instead of playing this game with the media? All he is right now is a distraction to the team.

I was against him coming back last year and he actually played pretty well until he got hurt. I don't know how serious his surgery was, but with his age, and coming off surgery and stuff, I just find it unlikely that he'll stay healthy for 16 games. What if his arm strength now is just a shadow of what it used to be?

I only see him playing one season. That's my main problem. Your Vikings aren't a Superbowl team with Favre. I don't even think they're better than the Bears (and the Packers are pretty close behind, too). Why bring him in for one year just to win 2 or 3 more games and then lose in the playoffs? Rosenfels can probably make the playoffs, too, except he's going to get better and learn by being a starter, so when 2010 rolls around, the Vikings will be an even better team instead of being back where they're at right now.

You never know, though. Look at what Kurt Warner did last year. Who saw that coming? Plus Favre has the best RB in the NFL to hand the ball off to. Still, I guarantee they'll be at least 4 games next year where you're cussing Fave like crazy for throwing some bone-headed INT that not even Tarvaris Jackson would've thrown.

Here Today . . .
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2009, 02:31:47 AM »

You know what? I'm already coming around. LOL.  smoking

The argument I just made about what do the Vikings gain with Favre, well, the same question that can be asked is: what do they lose? And other than experience for the possible starter in 2010, the answer is: nothing.

Maybe Favre's magic and mystique can actually help the team. The last 2 seasons the Vikings knew that could win games with their defense and running game, they just had to hope their QB didn't make too many mistakes. Now, with Favre behind center, even if he isn't that good anymore, just his name and his accomplishments will probably make everyone on the team much more confident. Peterson will probably feel like he doesn't have to do everything  by himself. And opposing defenses are going to respect Favre a lot more than they would Jackson or Rosenfels, which will also make things easier for Peterson. Look at how well Thomas Jones and Leon Washington played last year as an indicator.

Plus, this is the team Favre wanted to play for last season. He'll be in the same division as his (now rival) Packers. I definitely think the motivation will be there.

I can't believe I just made that one post and then turned around and made this exact opposite one. But I really do think it's worth a shot for the Vikes. At the very least, it'll make for damn good T.V. come this fall. And in the NFL, you never know who might get injured, possibly opening the door to a team like the Vikings. Look what happened to Tom Brady last year.

Here Today . . .
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2009, 10:45:53 AM »

Tarkenton: Favre's despicable

As the Vikings wait to see if quarterback Brett Favre will end his retirement and play for them this coming season, the greatest quarterback in franchise history lashed out at Favre's handling of the situation. Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton, appearing on 790 The Zone in Atlanta, said "it's all about" Favre when discussing the subject. Tarkenton, a resident of the Atlanta area, didn't need any encouragement to go after Favre and was especially critical of how the future Hall of Fame QB has treated the Packers after playing 16 seasons in Green Bay. "I think it's despicable. What he put the Packers through last year was not good," said Tarkenton. "Here's an organization that was loyal to him for 17, 18 years, provided stability of organization, provided players. It just wasn't about Brett Favre. In this day and time, we have glorified the Brett Favre's of the world so much, they think it's about them. He goes to New York and bombs. He's 39 years old. How would you like Ray Nitschke in his last year [playing for] the Vikings, or I retire, and go play for the Packers? I kind of hope it happens, so he can fail."

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/104290-tarkenton-favres-despicable

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2009, 10:49:56 AM »

One worrisome stat you guys seem to be forgetting is that in playoff games Favre is 3-6 since 1998 with 18 interceptions thrown, bringing his career playoff record to 10-12 with 28 interceptions.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2009, 02:11:16 PM »

yeah but with Minny he will have Adrian Peterson. no offense to GB RB's but Favre has never had a back the caliber of Peterson.

so he won't have to throw as much, plus Minnesota have a great O line that can protect him.

Remember Elway and Terrell Davis?  this is Favre's Terrell Davis.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »

Ex-NFL QB McNair found shot to death in condo

Former NFL quarterback Steve McNair has been shot and killed. He was 36.

Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron confirmed that police were called to a residence and found McNair and a woman shot to death inside. Aaron said authorities don't yet know the circumstances of the shooting.

"I don't have any answers for you now as to what's happened, who's responsible," he said.

Aaron said police have tentatively identified the woman but did not release her name.

Titans owner Bud Adams also confirmed the quarterback's death in a brief statement released Saturday.

Adams called him "one of the finest players to play for our organization and one of the most beloved players by our fans. He played with unquestioned heart and leadership and led us to places that we had never reached, including our only Super Bowl."

McNair played 11 seasons in the NFL with the Tennessee Titans franchise and then spent two seasons with the Baltimore Ravens.

He was a three-time Pro Bowler and was the Co-AP NFL MVP in 2003.

McNair played in the "Music City Miracle" game in 1999, when his Titans stunned the Buffalo Bills with a kickoff return touchdown in the final seconds in their AFC Wild Card playoff game.

McNair led the Titans to the Super Bowl that season, where they lost to the Rams. With the Titans driving for a potential game-tying score in the fourth quarter, McNair completed a pass to Kevin Dyson in the closing moments but Dyson was stopped at the 1-yard line.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2009, 08:54:16 AM »

How shocking to wake up today and hear this about Air McNair.  Fucking tragic

So did the girlfriend murder him and then kill herself?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2009, 08:58:49 AM »

FANTASY FOOTBALL HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok guys I need some help:

I finally got invited to my best friends' money league. It has been filled for the last 5 years but finally someone quit and I inherit their team which just so happens is the worst team in the league.

This is a keeper league where u can keep 3 players.

It is a 250 dollar entry fee, 5 dollars for every transaction

anyhow, I am left with these keepers:
Greg Jennings
Brandon Marshall
Darren McFadden

as I said, this guy sucked

anyhow here is my question

I get the number 2 pick in the draft and this doesn't start snaking till the 4th round.

so i get 2, 12 and 22

my question is this:

with my first pick, I am wanting to take Aaron Rodgers.

He scored 360pts in this league last year, 2nd only to Drew Brees.

RB's I know are thin etc but I am looking for the future and I don't plan on winning next season anyway. I just want to build my team to contend in the future.

if i take Rodgers, That gives me my franchise QB for the next decade in this league.

OR

should I take either Brandon Jacobs or Brian Westbrook which are available and pray Rodgers falls to me at pick 12?
Only 5 teams need a starting QB and if everybody goes RB round 1, I could possibly land Rodgers.

is it worth the risk though?

QB's gone are :Brady,Manning,Brees,Cutler and Rivers. They were all kept

Rodgers is the number 1 ranked guy. so i am afraid he would go at number 11 cause there is one guy ahead of me.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2009, 09:08:33 AM »

Damn!  Smoking Guns, your doc's loose lips better not sink the Vikings' ship!  He's letting the cat out of the bag!!!   hihi

Dr. James Andrews: 'Favre wants to play for Vikings'

Seeing Favre on Opening Day in purple and gold will give me a similar feeling to bounding up the stairwell to Mezzanine 2 on May 12, 2006 at the Hammerstein Ballroom!  What a great fucking feeling!!!!!!!  Gotta love a good comeback.   love  
Countdown to the inevitable question, 3, 2, 1..."Will GNR perform at Favre's comeback game???"  Let's hope so!   Grin

btw, McNair, how sad.  Waaaay too young to die.  Sad

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2009, 09:08:41 AM »

Shocking? I don't find this shocking at all. This happens all the time. Only difference this time is that it happens to be a professional football player and celebrity.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2009, 09:22:23 AM »

Shocking? I don't find this shocking at all. This happens all the time. Only difference this time is that it happens to be a professional football player and celebrity.

QFT

I see what u are saying

a 15 year old kid was shot by a housing authority cop yesterday in Chattanooga. Says the kid had a gun but no gun was found anywhere near the kid.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »

FANTASY FOOTBALL HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok guys I need some help:

I finally got invited to my best friends' money league. It has been filled for the last 5 years but finally someone quit and I inherit their team which just so happens is the worst team in the league.

This is a keeper league where u can keep 3 players.

It is a 250 dollar entry fee, 5 dollars for every transaction

anyhow, I am left with these keepers:
Greg Jennings
Brandon Marshall
Darren McFadden

as I said, this guy sucked

anyhow here is my question

I get the number 2 pick in the draft and this doesn't start snaking till the 4th round.

so i get 2, 12 and 22

my question is this:

with my first pick, I am wanting to take Aaron Rodgers.

He scored 360pts in this league last year, 2nd only to Drew Brees.

RB's I know are thin etc but I am looking for the future and I don't plan on winning next season anyway. I just want to build my team to contend in the future.

if i take Rodgers, That gives me my franchise QB for the next decade in this league.

OR

should I take either Brandon Jacobs or Brian Westbrook which are available and pray Rodgers falls to me at pick 12?
Only 5 teams need a starting QB and if everybody goes RB round 1, I could possibly land Rodgers.

is it worth the risk though?

QB's gone are :Brady,Manning,Brees,Cutler and Rivers. They were all kept

Rodgers is the number 1 ranked guy. so i am afraid he would go at number 11 cause there is one guy ahead of me.

D, it's really tough to say based on that information.  What guys are not being "kept?"  While I really like Rodgers (I've got him on a long-term contract in my dynasty league) if a stud running back is available, I'd consider holding out.  I didn't notice Matt Ryan's name on the keepers' list.  So, #2 could be an impact running back...but if Westbrook and Jacobs are the best of the bunch at rb, I think Rodgers would be a good pick based on the info. provided.   beer

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2009, 09:41:56 AM »

RB's left as far as quality are Jacobs, Westbrook and Ladanian Tomlinson

but I am looking for keepers so I don't really want Westbrook or LT cause Westbrook's injuries and LT is getting close to being finished.......

I figured I'd take Rodgers and then roll the dice on some young backs like Beanie Wells or Moreno. Maybe try and get Darren Sproles

Return yardage counts in this league also. 25yards per point. so Sproles could be very valuable.

The guys team I am taking over finished 9/10 but was dead last in overall points.

so I figure year 1 will be to try and accumulating a nice Triplet to take me into the future. Rodgers and Jennings would be two great pieces.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:43:37 AM by D » Logged

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2009, 09:50:25 AM »

D, it looks like you're making the right call.  LT and Westbrook definitely have huge question marks.  Dynasty leagues are the best...enjoy!

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2009, 09:52:32 AM »

About McNair.  Hopefully, there was no gun found at the scene.  No gun would mean no murder-suicide. 
Terrible stuff. Sad

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: