Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 09:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 191855 times)
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #560 on: January 06, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »

My picks for this weekend:

Jets over Cincy (not even because I'm a Jets fans, Cincy puttered out for the end of the year 4 games ago)
Pats over Ravens (they'll find a goddamn way...they always do)

Dallas over Philly (Philly is not up to par right now, Cowboys are smoking)
Green Bay over Arizona (if any wild card team goes to the SB, it's Green Bay)

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #561 on: January 06, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »

My picks for this weekend:

Jets over Cincy (not even because I'm a Jets fans, Cincy puttered out for the end of the year 4 games ago)
Pats over Ravens (they'll find a goddamn way...they always do)

Dallas over Philly (Philly is not up to par right now, Cowboys are smoking)
Green Bay over Arizona (if any wild card team goes to the SB, it's Green Bay)

Bill, I only agree with your Pack pick...Cincy, Philly, Bal., GB...and I'm not keen on any of them advancing past the next round...except for the team that faces the Saints.  The loss of Grant will be huge.  Look what happened when the Steelers lost their stud defensive end.  5 losses to the likes of Browns, Chiefs, Raiders, I think the Lingerie Football League had a team in that streak that beat the Steelers as well.  hihi  So yes, the Packers will be rooting for the cowboys to win.  That way, the Packers could slay the Saints, while the Cowboys would have their hands full with the Vikes...but, like I said, I don't think the 'boys will win.  Eagles-Saints Part2, and Packers-Vikings Part 3.

So D, who do you pick? 

Sandman, don't sweat that stat.  Kolb was at quarterback against the Saints way back for that game. 

btw D, yes, D-Mac and TO both should have handled things better, but TO is such a douchebag, that no matter what happens, he WILL get pegged as the bad guy.  He's saddled himself with that image...he reaped what he sowed.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #562 on: January 07, 2010, 02:55:23 AM »

im going with Jets, Cowboys, Packers, Patriots...
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #563 on: January 07, 2010, 05:55:40 AM »

I'm picking all the teams most people are picking to lose: Eagles, Cards, Ravens, and Bengals.

I'm always going to pick the Eagles, but I really do think they'll win this weekend. Last week I just had a bad feeling; I was nervous about it, and then the Eagles got blown out. I think this Saturday night the Eagles will come out seeking revenge, play well from the start, get an early lead, which will then put doubts in the minds of the Cowboys, like, "Can we actually win a playoff game?" The answer's no. Andy Reid has proven he knows how win in the playoffs. Wade Phillips hasn't.

Ravens and Pats . . . I just don't think the Pats are all that good this year, and I think the Ravens actually underachieved. They went to the AFC Championship game last year, remember. Edelman is no Wes Welker . . . Flacco gets it done.

Jets and Bengals . . . I know Cincy got their ass kicked, but they didn't really need that game Sunday. Plus Benson didn't play, and he's their main source of offense. I think Sanchez will have three or four TOs. Bengals win a close one.

Cards and Packers is the one I'm least sure about. Packers are playing as well as anyone. But the Cardinals are a very underrated team. Nobody gave them a chance last year; they almost won a Superbowl. Nobody's talking about this year, either. If Boldin and their other injured guys play, I'll take an experienced Kurt Warner over Rodgers making his first playoff start. I actually hope the Packers, win, though, and they get to play Favre in the second round. That would be a fun game to see.

Here Today . . .
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #564 on: January 07, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »

I wish u fuckers would quit picking my Cowboys..... we are going to lose for sure now

New England
Jets
Dallas
GB

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #565 on: January 07, 2010, 05:54:43 PM »

I wish u fuckers would quit picking my Cowboys..... we are going to lose for sure now

New England
Jets
Dallas
GB

D, count me in as another one picking Dallas this weekend.

NY Jets
Dallas
New England
Green Bay

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #566 on: January 07, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »

I'm picking all the teams most people are picking to lose: Eagles, Cards, Ravens, and Bengals.

Great minds (and HTGTH Fantasy Football Champs and ex-Champs) think alike. Smiley
Except for the Cards game, I picked Cincy, Philly, and Balt. as well.   beer

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Mr. TRash
Opening Act

you think I'm doin' this all for my health

« Reply #567 on: January 07, 2010, 11:43:17 PM »

New England
Jets
Dallas
GB

D,
I got you're back, I'll pick Philly so the cowboys don't shit themselves with high expectations.  But really that's the IDGARA (I don't give a rats ass) game of the week.

Jets will win, even though I'd prefer the Bengals to loose to the Colts next week.
Pats will be one and done
Arizona will amaze us again.

Good afternoon, good evening, and good night.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #568 on: January 08, 2010, 12:57:09 AM »

Ravens and Pats . . . I just don't think the Pats are all that good this year, and I think the Ravens actually underachieved. They went to the AFC Championship game last year, remember. Edelman is no Wes Welker . . . Flacco gets it done.
I agree the Pats just aren't all that good this year, BUT neither are the Ravens.  They're 9-7 for a reason and barely beat the Raiders to make the playoffs.  This isn't last season, so the fact they made the AFC championship game last year means nothing.  The Steelers won the Super Bowl and will be watching the playoffs from the sidelines.

And you're right, Edelman is no Wes Welker.  But Brady still has some weapons.  He's won a few big games with a lot less at his disposal.  Obviously the defense is New England's downfall.  But they play pretty well at home and the Ravens aren't exactly a juggernaut on offense.  They can run the ball, but New England is tough to run against.  Not many RB's had big games against them this season, when their D-line was at full strength.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #569 on: January 08, 2010, 09:46:06 AM »

i like the Jets, Eagles, Ravens, and Packers. although i honestly don't have a good feel for any of these games. and that's all the underdogs and i can't see there being 4 upsets this weekend.

so IF i was betting ( Wink i would bet relatively small. it'll be tough to watch interSanchez with money riding on him! 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #570 on: January 08, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »

My Picks:

Cincy over the Jets
---Sanchez throws a lot of INTs and that doesn't change just because he played well against Indy's second and third string defenders.  But it really comes down to being a rookie. Veteran QB vs. rookie QB in the playoffs?  I'll take the vet every time.  Plus, Palmer is just plain better. 

Eagles over the Cowboys
---Yes, the 'Boys thumped them in a meaningful week 17 game.  That should worry Eagles fans.  But it's hardly everything.  Back in '04, Denver thumped Indy 33-14 during week 17, which set up a rematch in the Wild Card round, where Indy beat the shit out of them, 49-24.  Not saying that will happen here, but any team can have an off week and I don't expect that Philly will be shut out again.  This is, however, the pick I'm least confident in.  The 'Boys seem like a stronger unit this year.

Pats over Ravens
---While I do think the loss of Welker is going to be a deal breaker for making the Super Bowl, they'll be coached up enough to overcome his loss this week.  There's plenty of offensive talent there to do so and the Ravens haven't looked sharp lately.

Pack over Cards
---The lesson from PHI/DAL applies here as well, the difference being that the Cards didn't really play Warner.  However, with the exception of a heartbreaker @PIT (a tough place to play, even in a down year for the Steelers), the Pack have been good for a while now, winning 7 of 8 and three in that stretch over playoff teams.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #571 on: January 08, 2010, 11:16:57 AM »

U know people say Edelman is no wes welker, but look last week.. put up pretty much the same numbers. he had 10 catches for 103 last week

its the system, just like Brady is a system QB, Edelman will do fine.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #572 on: January 08, 2010, 01:26:17 PM »

My Picks:

Cincy over the Jets
---Sanchez throws a lot of INTs and that doesn't change just because he played well against Indy's second and third string defenders.  But it really comes down to being a rookie. Veteran QB vs. rookie QB in the playoffs?  I'll take the vet every time.  Plus, Palmer is just plain better. 

Eagles over the Cowboys
---Yes, the 'Boys thumped them in a meaningful week 17 game.  That should worry Eagles fans.  But it's hardly everything.  Back in '04, Denver thumped Indy 33-14 during week 17, which set up a rematch in the Wild Card round, where Indy beat the shit out of them, 49-24.  Not saying that will happen here, but any team can have an off week and I don't expect that Philly will be shut out again.  This is, however, the pick I'm least confident in.  The 'Boys seem like a stronger unit this year.

Pats over Ravens
---While I do think the loss of Welker is going to be a deal breaker for making the Super Bowl, they'll be coached up enough to overcome his loss this week.  There's plenty of offensive talent there to do so and the Ravens haven't looked sharp lately.

Pack over Cards
---The lesson from PHI/DAL applies here as well, the difference being that the Cards didn't really play Warner.  However, with the exception of a heartbreaker @PIT (a tough place to play, even in a down year for the Steelers), the Pack have been good for a while now, winning 7 of 8 and three in that stretch over playoff teams.

Shit...my picks are the same as that homer Bill Simmons.  Now I have to rethink them.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #573 on: January 08, 2010, 01:34:37 PM »

I agree the Pats just aren't all that good this year, BUT neither are the Ravens.  They're 9-7 for a reason and barely beat the Raiders to make the playoffs.  This isn't last season, so the fact they made the AFC championship game last year means nothing.  The Steelers won the Super Bowl and will be watching the playoffs from the sidelines.

And you're right, Edelman is no Wes Welker.  But Brady still has some weapons.  He's won a few big games with a lot less at his disposal.  Obviously the defense is New England's downfall.  But they play pretty well at home and the Ravens aren't exactly a juggernaut on offense.  They can run the ball, but New England is tough to run against.  Not many RB's had big games against them this season, when their D-line was at full strength.

I don't know the exact stats or anything, but even though Baltimore lost most of their games against eventual (or almost) playoff teams, they were very close to winning every one of them. I know they almost beat Minnesota earlier in the season, but their kicker missed a makeable FG. They lost to the Steelers both times, once in OT, in the game Big Ben didn't play, and then again a couple weeks ago. They shouldn't have lost that last one, though. I think they scored a TD on like 4 straight plays, but every one came back because of a flag; and then Mason dropped a wide open pass in the back of endzone. Basically, what I'm saying is, a play or two here and there and their record would've been much better. I think they're the dark horse of the AFC playoffs.

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #574 on: January 08, 2010, 04:39:13 PM »

I don't know the exact stats or anything, but even though Baltimore lost most of their games against eventual (or almost) playoff teams, they were very close to winning every one of them. I know they almost beat Minnesota earlier in the season, but their kicker missed a makeable FG. They lost to the Steelers both times, once in OT, in the game Big Ben didn't play, and then again a couple weeks ago. They shouldn't have lost that last one, though. I think they scored a TD on like 4 straight plays, but every one came back because of a flag; and then Mason dropped a wide open pass in the back of endzone. Basically, what I'm saying is, a play or two here and there and their record would've been much better. I think they're the dark horse of the AFC playoffs.
You could say that about any team though.  The Patriots lost some close road games to the Broncos, Jets, Colts, Dolphins, and Texans.  A few breaks and they'd be 15-1.  Didn't happen though.  As Bill Parcells (I think) would say, "you are what your record is."

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #575 on: January 08, 2010, 04:41:17 PM »

If its really shit weather, Baltimore may pull the upset

not sure NE can stop Baltimore's running game.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #576 on: January 08, 2010, 04:47:13 PM »

U know people say Edelman is no wes welker, but look last week.. put up pretty much the same numbers. he had 10 catches for 103 last week

its the system, just like Brady is a system QB, Edelman will do fine.
Edelman is capable of putting up Welker-like numbers.  He's proved that twice this year when needed, last week and in week 2 against the Jets.  And Welker was shut down a couple games this year so it's not like he's a 100% certainty.  Especially if defenses don't give Edelman the attention they'd normally give to Welker and focus on Moss more.  Edelman has the ability to makes some plays.  BUT, Welker can be counted on pretty much every game.  Edelman hasn't shown he can do it in consecutive weeks.  Not saying he can't, he just hasn't done it to this point.  But he and Kevin Faulk will do their best to make up for the loss of Welker.  And I'll think they'll do fine.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #577 on: January 08, 2010, 05:00:05 PM »

If its really shit weather, Baltimore may pull the upset

not sure NE can stop Baltimore's running game.
Last I saw, the weather shouldn't be a factor.  It will be cold and probably windy, but no rain or snow.  I think New England has proven they can play in bad weather games at home.

And it's just my opinion, but if the Ravens try to beat the Patriots by pounding the ball in the running game, they've got the wrong idea.  The weakness of the Patriots defense is the pass defense.  They can't get pressure on the QB, and opposing QB's can just pick apart their secondary.  They make bad quarterbacks look average and average ones look extraordinary.  With Wilfork and Warren back on the D-line their strength is stopping the run. 

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #578 on: January 08, 2010, 06:01:29 PM »

Just so everyone is aware, The Onion News is a fake news organization that sort of makes fun of real news outlets.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/everyone_at_hospital_already_hates

BOSTON?Though injured New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker has only been in the hospital for five days, doctors, nurses, support staff, and fellow patients told reporters Thursday that the extremely passionate and determined Welker has already annoyed the hell out of everyone.

"That guy is just the worst," Welker's orthopedic surgeon Dr. Henry Myles said after a diagnostic checkup Tuesday. "He suffers a torn MCL and ACL in his left knee, he can barely walk, and he just keeps saying things like, 'When am I going to get back in there, doc?' and 'Just tape it up, I'll be fine.'

This whole obsession with showing us how intense and driven he is 24 hours a day really has to stop."
"I get it, okay? The guy has a lot of heart," Myles added. "But yesterday we had to put him in restraints because he wouldn't stop trying to do jumping jacks. And before we could sedate him, his screams of 'I'm a competitor!' woke up the entire wing."

As of press time, Welker had not made a single friend at Massachusetts General. Although the wideout's attitude has been celebrated by sportswriters and fans alike as scrappy and overachieving, hospital personnel have described him as "exhausting," "intolerable," and "the most infuriating little cocksucker ever to walk God's green earth."

Even children in the hospital's cancer ward were irritated by Welker's Tuesday morning visit.
"The short man kept telling me to keep fighting and not to give up," said Jackie Geddings, 8, a leukemia patient in the hospital's pediatric ward. "I got extra tired talking to him and telling him over and over I was working hard and that he didn't have to cut off his hair and give it to me. I don't think he knew I was trying to take a nap."

"He's everywhere," one doctor said of the 5-foot-9 All-Pro receiver, adding that the mere sight of Welker's face fills him with rage. "If he's not trying to get patients up at 6 a.m. to do physical therapy with him, he's giving unwanted nutritional advice to diabetics or hovering over ER doctors during critical triage sessions. I really hope one of these days he comes over to the trauma ward so I can lay him out cold."

Welker told nurses Wednesday that, although his injury will keep him out of the playoffs, it shouldn't hinder his ability to help the hospital be the best it can be. He has offered to fill in anywhere he is needed, be it on the cafeteria staff or in the operating room.

"I consider myself a very patient person," hospital janitor Mike Clemens said. "But Mr. Welker has pushed me to my limit. He told me that my mopping routes were sloppy, and that if I maybe showed a little more heart out there I could get a few more crucial feet out of each swab."

"What a prick," Clemens added. "Seriously, what a fucking little prick."

Welker's hospital roommate, 52-year-old Aaron Kramer, requested a room transfer after spending just one night with the two-time Pro Bowler. Kramer said he was unable to sleep due to Welker shouting "Woo!" after every SportsCenter highlight, a nuisance that became increasingly excruciating as Welker did the same through all five of the show's overnight repeats.

Teammates who have visited Welker have left his hospital room visibly aggravated, often rolling their eyes, muttering to themselves, or saying things like, "Thank God that's over."

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has yet to make a trip to the Boston hospital, but said Monday that Welker had already left him more than 150 voice mail messages that alternated between tearful apologies for getting injured and personal pleas for Belichick not to forget about him while he's away.

"Apparently he read an article where I said that the team would evolve without him," Patriots quarterback Tom Brady told reporters after visiting Welker. "I had to assure Wes that didn't mean I thought the team was better off without him or that I didn't like him personally."

"I don't, though," Brady said. "Not hard to see why not. Jesus, if that mouthy little fucker didn't manage to get open so often I think I would have punched him in the face years ago."

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #579 on: January 09, 2010, 08:55:49 AM »

Just so everyone is aware, The Onion News is a fake news organization that sort of makes fun of real news outlets.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/everyone_at_hospital_already_hates

BOSTON?Though injured New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker has only been in the hospital for five days, doctors, nurses, support staff, and fellow patients told reporters Thursday that the extremely passionate and determined Welker has already annoyed the hell out of everyone.

"That guy is just the worst," Welker's orthopedic surgeon Dr. Henry Myles said after a diagnostic checkup Tuesday. "He suffers a torn MCL and ACL in his left knee, he can barely walk, and he just keeps saying things like, 'When am I going to get back in there, doc?' and 'Just tape it up, I'll be fine.'

This whole obsession with showing us how intense and driven he is 24 hours a day really has to stop."
"I get it, okay? The guy has a lot of heart," Myles added. "But yesterday we had to put him in restraints because he wouldn't stop trying to do jumping jacks. And before we could sedate him, his screams of 'I'm a competitor!' woke up the entire wing."

As of press time, Welker had not made a single friend at Massachusetts General. Although the wideout's attitude has been celebrated by sportswriters and fans alike as scrappy and overachieving, hospital personnel have described him as "exhausting," "intolerable," and "the most infuriating little cocksucker ever to walk God's green earth."

Even children in the hospital's cancer ward were irritated by Welker's Tuesday morning visit.
"The short man kept telling me to keep fighting and not to give up," said Jackie Geddings, 8, a leukemia patient in the hospital's pediatric ward. "I got extra tired talking to him and telling him over and over I was working hard and that he didn't have to cut off his hair and give it to me. I don't think he knew I was trying to take a nap."

"He's everywhere," one doctor said of the 5-foot-9 All-Pro receiver, adding that the mere sight of Welker's face fills him with rage. "If he's not trying to get patients up at 6 a.m. to do physical therapy with him, he's giving unwanted nutritional advice to diabetics or hovering over ER doctors during critical triage sessions. I really hope one of these days he comes over to the trauma ward so I can lay him out cold."

Welker told nurses Wednesday that, although his injury will keep him out of the playoffs, it shouldn't hinder his ability to help the hospital be the best it can be. He has offered to fill in anywhere he is needed, be it on the cafeteria staff or in the operating room.

"I consider myself a very patient person," hospital janitor Mike Clemens said. "But Mr. Welker has pushed me to my limit. He told me that my mopping routes were sloppy, and that if I maybe showed a little more heart out there I could get a few more crucial feet out of each swab."

"What a prick," Clemens added. "Seriously, what a fucking little prick."

Welker's hospital roommate, 52-year-old Aaron Kramer, requested a room transfer after spending just one night with the two-time Pro Bowler. Kramer said he was unable to sleep due to Welker shouting "Woo!" after every SportsCenter highlight, a nuisance that became increasingly excruciating as Welker did the same through all five of the show's overnight repeats.

Teammates who have visited Welker have left his hospital room visibly aggravated, often rolling their eyes, muttering to themselves, or saying things like, "Thank God that's over."

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has yet to make a trip to the Boston hospital, but said Monday that Welker had already left him more than 150 voice mail messages that alternated between tearful apologies for getting injured and personal pleas for Belichick not to forget about him while he's away.

"Apparently he read an article where I said that the team would evolve without him," Patriots quarterback Tom Brady told reporters after visiting Welker. "I had to assure Wes that didn't mean I thought the team was better off without him or that I didn't like him personally."

"I don't, though," Brady said. "Not hard to see why not. Jesus, if that mouthy little fucker didn't manage to get open so often I think I would have punched him in the face years ago."

Thanks Faldor!  That was fucking hilarious.   rofl
Just watch out for Ray Rice.  That guy is one of the most underrated rb's in the NFL. 

Today, Cincy will go up early and never look back.  The combo of a Cincy lead and stuffing the Jets run game AND the minutes ticking away will lead to Sanchez having to throw.  Enter a Braylon Edwards drop and some errant throws...the chances of a Cincy pick-6 rise.  What would have been the Jets marching down the field may turn into a Bengals pick-6 and a 27-10 victory over the Jets.  The Jets future is bright and the playoff loss will still be good experience for Sanchez.

Tonight (in my least confident pick) the Eagles will pull out the 30-27 victory.  Romo will put up some okay stats...but McNabb will shine.  This could be a back and forth game...go Donovan!   yes

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: