Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 08:42:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228153 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 192198 times)
Mr. TRash
Opening Act

you think I'm doin' this all for my health

« Reply #500 on: December 27, 2009, 10:50:30 PM »

Anyone else want to see 8 teams in the AFC go 8-8 and watch sports casters try to explain who got in and who didn't and why?

Good afternoon, good evening, and good night.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #501 on: December 27, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »

Anyone else want to see 8 teams in the AFC go 8-8 and watch sports casters try to explain who got in and who didn't and why?

Should be confusing.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #502 on: December 28, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »

Ahh my damn Jets are giving me a heart attack this year!  Sure the D hung in there and held Payton to a 15-10 lead in the third before Indy removed their starters, but they still gave us the late christmas gift that we were all begging for.

I think next week against Cincy, who has been struggling as of late, should go in our favor......regardless we should have finished at least 11-5 without some bonehead mistakes against Buffalo and Atlanta by our passing game.  Hopefully Cincy will rest up for the playoffs and we can squeak by again.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #503 on: December 28, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »

Seems like their too busy right now complaining about Indianapolis pulling their starters to rest them, losing a game and their chance at making history. But you know these idiots would have been the same ones criticizing if Indianapolis would have tried to go for history, not rest their starters when they had the chance, and not making it to the Super Bowl.

This is why these people are like weather forecasters. They just throw all their predictions up in the air and hope for the best.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #504 on: December 28, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »

Seems like their too busy right now complaining about Indianapolis pulling their starters to rest them, losing a game and their chance at making history. But you know these idiots would have been the same ones criticizing if Indianapolis would have tried to go for history, not rest their starters when they had the chance, and not making it to the Super Bowl.

This is why these people are like weather forecasters. They just throw all their predictions up in the air and hope for the best.

I had a one-time gig with ESPN yesterday morning, I blasted the analysts and the format of NFL Sunday Countdown.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #505 on: December 28, 2009, 04:54:32 PM »

well the bullshit part about the Colts was the fact they handed the Jets a win.

While Pittsburgh and Baltimore are beating each other to death and Miami and Houston etc doing the same... the Jets get a gift win and now the inside track on the final playoff spot

if this were the final game of the season, i would applaud and support the decision.. but in a game that depends on timing and game speed like the NFL, too much rest is bad news.

no team has ever lost in the playoffs cause their players weren't "Rested" hell they get a damn bye week.. resting players has almost been always proven to not be a good idea same as the prevent defense.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #506 on: December 28, 2009, 05:01:39 PM »

It's not so much for rest as it is to prevent any potential injuries.

Rest...that's what the bye week is for.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #507 on: December 28, 2009, 05:15:09 PM »

I had a one-time gig with ESPN yesterday morning, I blasted the analysts and the format of NFL Sunday Countdown.

For me, it's pretty much unbearable to try and watch any of these pre-game or post game shows. Which is worse, an ex-player pretending to be a qualified analyst and showing he has no idea what he's talking about or a sportscaster throwing out is opinion and his picks every week hoping he'll look like he knows what he's talking about?

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #508 on: December 28, 2009, 06:13:33 PM »

well the bullshit part about the Colts was the fact they handed the Jets a win.

While Pittsburgh and Baltimore are beating each other to death and Miami and Houston etc doing the same... the Jets get a gift win and now the inside track on the final playoff spot

if this were the final game of the season, i would applaud and support the decision.. but in a game that depends on timing and game speed like the NFL, too much rest is bad news.

no team has ever lost in the playoffs cause their players weren't "Rested" hell they get a damn bye week.. resting players has almost been always proven to not be a good idea same as the prevent defense.
Not disagreeing, but it's possible the Colts could've "wanted" to lose a game so they wouldn't feel the weight of the "perfect season" on into the playoffs.  Members of the 2007 Patriots have admitted it became a burden the longer it went on.  Now that weight is off the Colts shoulders, as it's doubtful they would've lost to the Bills unless they completely laid down.  Now they got the loss out of the way and can re-focus and concentrate on the ultimate goal.

I'm sure they're gonna have a chip on their shoulders heading into the post-season too, as most everyone seems to think San Diego is the best team in football now.  I hate the Colts, but you can't discount a 14-1 record.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #509 on: December 28, 2009, 06:51:40 PM »

NE had the super bowl if not for Asante Buckner Samuel dropping that easy pick

i never buy into a "Loss" is a good thing mentality.

I think its a huge deflating blow to do what Indy did.

if a team just kicks your ass or wins.. yeah, maybe that is good for u, but when the coach concedes a game u are winning... would be a bitter pill to swallow for a team that has bust their ass all season to win each and every game on the schedule.

I don't buy that pressure thing either.. the playoffs are pressure packed anyway... undefeated season isn't going to make it moreso IMO.

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #510 on: December 29, 2009, 12:07:26 AM »

Skol fumblefuck fuckace Peterson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #511 on: December 29, 2009, 01:14:10 AM »

said it earlier, AP one of the most overrated players in the NFL right now..

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #512 on: December 29, 2009, 02:36:16 AM »

Brett Fav....

Ryan Longwell!

Oh noooooo!!!!!

sandman
Legend

« Reply #513 on: December 29, 2009, 09:10:02 AM »

in this season of giving, i'd like to personally thank Favre, childress, and the Vikings for handing the Eagles the #2 seed and a first round bye.  ok

and in keeping with that theme, this is for all the mcnabb lovers in here...

McNabb knows the meaning of giving
By KERITH GABRIEL
Philadelphia Daily News

gabrielk@phillynews.com

"In whatever you do, it's important to put your all into it, because you never know when or if that time will be your last."
- Donovan McNabb

DONOVAN McNABB didn't have to do it.

He didn't have to brave the double-digit-inch snowfall that blasted the Delaware Valley last Saturday to keep his word to attend an event featuring a Christmas shopping spree at a Target store for 130 children from a Mount Airy shelter.

He didn't have to make a personal appearance later in the day at the subsequent 2-hour gift-wrapping party and lunch for the kids at Chickie's and Pete's, either. A cancellation, given the conditions, was a mere phone call away - and it would have been justifiable.

Listening to McNabb, you realize that skipping out on those children was never even a thought. Because it's apparent that he believes a heightened sense of civic responsibility comes with his job as a professional athlete.

"It started at home at a very young age from my parents [Sam and Wilma McNabb], they made sure that my brother and I were aware that if we were ever in a position to help others, then it's just what you do," McNabb said. "It has to be from the heart; it has to be something you want to do and not feel like it's a chore. And it never has."

The event was one of McNabb's many charitable endeavors in the Philadelphia area. He has embraced a region that at times has not always embraced him during his 11 seasons with the Eagles.

"I've gotten used to the fact that no matter what you do, you are bound to hear criticism whether it be from fans, critics, or the media," McNabb said. "But I try to think about the good I do outside of football and that helps sustain me and keep me grounded. My responsibility is to be a leader on and off the field, so I don't have time to let negativity keep me down."

Saturday wasn't a chore for McNabb and his entire family as they put smiles on the children's faces. For the second consecutive year, the McNabbs teamed with event organizer Sonny DiCrecchio and Chickie's and Pete's owner Pete Ciarrochi in aiding Stenton Family Manor, a nonprofit similar to the Salvation Army but generally overlooked by its sizable counterpart. With McNabb's big brother Sean as Santa, the children and about 40 chaperones played video games, wrapped gifts, had lunch and hung out with one of the city's most recognizable faces.

"It brought tears to my eyes to see the level of love and compassion not just by Donovan but by his whole family," said Elder Rob Harrison, executive director of Stenton Family Manor. "It wasn't just him, but his mom came, his dad came, his wife. The way he interacted, he didn't make the kids feel like he was some big superstar; he was like a big brother.

"It's an experience I could never thank him enough for and none of these kids will ever forget what he did for them."

All in a day's work for one of the many charitable contributions that fill McNabb's resum?.

As an advocate for diabetes awareness, he holds an annual Donovan McNabb Camp for Kids and has done public service announcements. He and wife Raquel recently donated a six-figure sum and are in the process of raising an additional $2.5 million to aid in the construction of a new neonatal intensive care unit at Virtua Hospital in Voorhees, N.J., where the McNabbs' four children - 5-year-old Alexis, 1-year-old twins Sariah and Donovan Jr., and newborn son Devin James - were born.

He partners with the Daily News to give his game tickets to an area high school player who excels on the field, in the classroom and in his community. In February, the African American Museum of Philadelphia gave McNabb its coveted Heritage Award for his "10-year history of leadership and commitment both on and off the field to the community."

Now McNabb is up for another award as a candidate for the NFL's Man of the Year honor.

"I think it would be a great achievement, but it's not why I do it," McNabb said. "One of the things that go unnoticed are the things that athletes do in their communities that are good. It's great that other athletes take time out of their schedule to better the lives of someone else.

"About 4 years ago, I met a child through the Make-A-Wish Foundation who absolutely loved the Eagles. I invited him to a game against Green Bay, but he was so sick he couldn't make it. I remember us winning that game and I scored a touchdown and later I brought him the game ball I scored with and he just lit up the room with his smile. Here he is this sick kid who was able to forget about his illness and just enjoy the moment.

"Look, the awards are great and I appreciate them, but I'll always remember that smile - and for me that's why I do what I do."

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #514 on: December 29, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »

in this season of giving, i'd like to personally thank Favre, childress, and the Vikings for handing the Eagles the #2 seed and a first round bye.  ok

and in keeping with that theme, this is for all the mcnabb lovers in here...

McNabb knows the meaning of giving
By KERITH GABRIEL
Philadelphia Daily News

gabrielk@phillynews.com

"In whatever you do, it's important to put your all into it, because you never know when or if that time will be your last."
- Donovan McNabb

DONOVAN McNABB didn't have to do it.

He didn't have to brave the double-digit-inch snowfall that blasted the Delaware Valley last Saturday to keep his word to attend an event featuring a Christmas shopping spree at a Target store for 130 children from a Mount Airy shelter.

He didn't have to make a personal appearance later in the day at the subsequent 2-hour gift-wrapping party and lunch for the kids at Chickie's and Pete's, either. A cancellation, given the conditions, was a mere phone call away - and it would have been justifiable.

Listening to McNabb, you realize that skipping out on those children was never even a thought. Because it's apparent that he believes a heightened sense of civic responsibility comes with his job as a professional athlete.

"It started at home at a very young age from my parents [Sam and Wilma McNabb], they made sure that my brother and I were aware that if we were ever in a position to help others, then it's just what you do," McNabb said. "It has to be from the heart; it has to be something you want to do and not feel like it's a chore. And it never has."

The event was one of McNabb's many charitable endeavors in the Philadelphia area. He has embraced a region that at times has not always embraced him during his 11 seasons with the Eagles.

"I've gotten used to the fact that no matter what you do, you are bound to hear criticism whether it be from fans, critics, or the media," McNabb said. "But I try to think about the good I do outside of football and that helps sustain me and keep me grounded. My responsibility is to be a leader on and off the field, so I don't have time to let negativity keep me down."

Saturday wasn't a chore for McNabb and his entire family as they put smiles on the children's faces. For the second consecutive year, the McNabbs teamed with event organizer Sonny DiCrecchio and Chickie's and Pete's owner Pete Ciarrochi in aiding Stenton Family Manor, a nonprofit similar to the Salvation Army but generally overlooked by its sizable counterpart. With McNabb's big brother Sean as Santa, the children and about 40 chaperones played video games, wrapped gifts, had lunch and hung out with one of the city's most recognizable faces.

"It brought tears to my eyes to see the level of love and compassion not just by Donovan but by his whole family," said Elder Rob Harrison, executive director of Stenton Family Manor. "It wasn't just him, but his mom came, his dad came, his wife. The way he interacted, he didn't make the kids feel like he was some big superstar; he was like a big brother.

"It's an experience I could never thank him enough for and none of these kids will ever forget what he did for them."

All in a day's work for one of the many charitable contributions that fill McNabb's resum?.

As an advocate for diabetes awareness, he holds an annual Donovan McNabb Camp for Kids and has done public service announcements. He and wife Raquel recently donated a six-figure sum and are in the process of raising an additional $2.5 million to aid in the construction of a new neonatal intensive care unit at Virtua Hospital in Voorhees, N.J., where the McNabbs' four children - 5-year-old Alexis, 1-year-old twins Sariah and Donovan Jr., and newborn son Devin James - were born.

He partners with the Daily News to give his game tickets to an area high school player who excels on the field, in the classroom and in his community. In February, the African American Museum of Philadelphia gave McNabb its coveted Heritage Award for his "10-year history of leadership and commitment both on and off the field to the community."

Now McNabb is up for another award as a candidate for the NFL's Man of the Year honor.

"I think it would be a great achievement, but it's not why I do it," McNabb said. "One of the things that go unnoticed are the things that athletes do in their communities that are good. It's great that other athletes take time out of their schedule to better the lives of someone else.

"About 4 years ago, I met a child through the Make-A-Wish Foundation who absolutely loved the Eagles. I invited him to a game against Green Bay, but he was so sick he couldn't make it. I remember us winning that game and I scored a touchdown and later I brought him the game ball I scored with and he just lit up the room with his smile. Here he is this sick kid who was able to forget about his illness and just enjoy the moment.

"Look, the awards are great and I appreciate them, but I'll always remember that smile - and for me that's why I do what I do."

Great link man, very nice!
Now, to clarify, my Vikes haven't given the Eagles #2 yet...if we win and the Eagles lose to the Cowboys in Dallas...the Vikes will get the #2 seed.  We play the Giants in Minnesota this week, and the Eagles are 3 point underdogs to the Cowboys in Week 17 AND will be without their starting center who just tore his ACL.  If Vegas knows their stuff, the Vikes will win, the Eagles will lose in week 17.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #515 on: December 30, 2009, 09:43:58 AM »

the 2nd seed is the eagles to lose. the vikes handed control to them.

and always remember, vegas does not make predictions on who will win or lose. they make predictions on where the money will be bet. the cowboys line, especially in big games, is always inflated because of their popularity and the tendency of many fans to bet on them regardless of the line. i am confident that the handicapping experts will say the eagles are the right side to be on in this game.

some of mcnabb's best games of his career have occurred this year. not statisitically, but in how the game was managed, consistency in his accuracy, and big time throws in big situations. last week was not looking good - in the 2nd half he was missing wide open receivers as the offense went 3-and-out 4 or 5 times in a row. but then he pulled off a 27-yard run on 3rd and 25, followed by a perfectly thrown ball to maclin (who was very well covered and made an exceptional catch), to set up the winning FG. clutch stuff.

it's just a shame that this is one of the weakest defenses the eagles have had in years, cause the offense looks great and the path to the SB is extremely wide open. i just know that D will cost them a game at some point. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #516 on: December 30, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »

My figurative "bet" is Eagles vs Chargers in the SB.

I woulda said Eagles/Colts right up until this week.  I think not playing a meaningful game for almost a month is going to hurt the Colts, given their coach has made it clear he's going to rest everyone til the playoffs, pretty much.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #517 on: December 30, 2009, 11:17:58 PM »

the 2nd seed is the eagles to lose. the vikes handed control to them.

and always remember, vegas does not make predictions on who will win or lose. they make predictions on where the money will be bet. the cowboys line, especially in big games, is always inflated because of their popularity and the tendency of many fans to bet on them regardless of the line. i am confident that the handicapping experts will say the eagles are the right side to be on in this game.

some of mcnabb's best games of his career have occurred this year. not statisitically, but in how the game was managed, consistency in his accuracy, and big time throws in big situations. last week was not looking good - in the 2nd half he was missing wide open receivers as the offense went 3-and-out 4 or 5 times in a row. but then he pulled off a 27-yard run on 3rd and 25, followed by a perfectly thrown ball to maclin (who was very well covered and made an exceptional catch), to set up the winning FG. clutch stuff.

it's just a shame that this is one of the weakest defenses the eagles have had in years, cause the offense looks great and the path to the SB is extremely wide open. i just know that D will cost them a game at some point. 

Sandman, I agree with every word here!  Nice post.   beer

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #518 on: December 31, 2009, 04:42:06 AM »

Sandman, I agree with every word here!  Nice post.   beer

It is a shame about the Eagles' defense not being as good as in years past. I mean, they're still good, but imagine Jim Johnson's defenses along with this explosive offense . . . The Eagles would be unstoppable.

And it's nice to hear you complimenting McNabb, Sandman, as you haven't always been one of his biggest supporters. I think that is the most exciting thing about this Eagles team. The knock against McNabb and Reid has always been that they can't win close games, that they can't come from behind late, that they can't have a successful 2-minute drive. The Eagles have been doing those things this year. They did it against Denver on Sunday. They drove down the field for the go-ahead score late in the Chicago game. They made a furious comeback to beat Washington. You know that has to add a lot of confidence to everyone on the team.

Hopefully McNabb and Reid can prove the rest of the doubters wrong by winning the big one this year.

Here Today . . .
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #519 on: December 31, 2009, 07:36:46 PM »

^Gilee, unfortunately it won't happen and McNabb will take the heat for it.  Even though guys like Marino, Fouts, Rivers, and Brees don't have rings either.

Let it be said as well that I like McCoy...but LeSean is nowhere close to B-West in his prime.
The loss of the Eagles' center with an acl tear will be a huge factor that won't be mentioned when Donovan has a tough playoff game. 

...and yes, after losing to the Bears, as a Vikes fan I'm officially worried.

one more thing...the Dallas Cowboys have lost 9 STRAIGHT LAST GAMES OF THE REGULAR SEASON!!!!!  That is insane!  Call me crazy, but I really think they'll break the streak this season and beat the Eagles this week.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: