Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 07:59:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose Interview With Del James
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose Interview With Del James  (Read 125185 times)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #400 on: March 01, 2009, 09:00:10 AM »

some peopel are too quick to point fingers and label someone as choosing "sides" ... some poepel are jsut calling a spade a spade, we've been told for years to stop living in past and slash isnt in the band anymore...yet all axl talks about is Slash and the old band....

in anycase, there are those who love both sides of this bitter personal battle and just as I appreciate Slash taking the high road as of late where Axl is concerned i'd like to see the same in return, cuz they dont get along with each other doesnt make me stop liking one of them, i enjoy music form both

that being said, one could deduce that the album is about peopel that have screwed over Axl over the years, the old band being some of them, so in that instance Axl is promoting his album, kinda

Also we have the Izzy and Duff thing that Axl keeps mentioning as possibly workign with them in some capacity at some point..well the unreleased track "Down By The Ocean" is from a writing session between Izzy and Duff in abouts 1995 (Which Axl confirmed as a real GnR working track in December 08) ... so there is a bit info as to where thats coming from, and by putting down the old band he sets up possible promo for the current band

anyway, I for one like seeing Ax talkin, i just hope one day that is swings to straight up promotion of the album he is apparently "concentrating on" maybe when the Better vid or the 3rd Single hits the airwaves huh?

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #401 on: March 01, 2009, 09:04:40 AM »

Good points made Neemo.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2009, 09:06:02 AM »

I think it actually burns Axl inside when Slash doesn't live up to potential because he knows that a guy like Finck alone could never fill the shoes of Slash
Says the guy who always hated Robin. Wonder why Axl don't just replace Robin, if that's the case, instead of waiting to see how it comes out.

Also, it's not just a matter of skills, I'm pretty sure. I think it's pretty selfish to want two people who had several personal issues to get back togheter just because you think so. I'm sure you wouldn't want to get back at your old girlfriend just because your friends want you to do so.

I can't believe all the bickering back and forth that's going on in this thread. Aren't we all members of the same team? We're fans of Guns N' Roses--- past, present, and future.
I actually agree with you in some parts, but no, we're not members of the same team. It's very clear there are people who are not fan of the present and future here. Still, they all take the same rote: Axl is wrong and should do this and that, and Slash is never to blame. It's about time to recognize those people can't get along without being harmful.

14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #403 on: March 01, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »

Now that that I've finally had enough time to re-read the interview, a few bits that stand out for me.

Regarding Izzy:
He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time.

I'm very curious about this "deal" he negotiated.  I get the impression that Axl feels Izzys participation in the '06 shows was more about Izzy promoting his own thing rather than him doing it out of love and respect for Axl.

Steven [Adler] brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother.

This quote is funny...especially after seeing Steven's mom on the Celebrity Rehab, I totally get it!

There is the distinct possibility that having his intentions in regard to me so deeply ingrained and his personal though guarded distaste for much of 'Appetite' other than his or Duff's playing, Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after 'Lies.' In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better.

Interesting that Axl feels that Slash does not like Appetite other than his and Duff's parts.  What could Slash possibly have issue with?

I prefer listening to others in general, especially those who both push their talents and infuse them with a level of energy that I've seldom heard in his efforts over the years. I'm not taking anything away from the man that are his to claim for his past efforts; it's just that for whatever reason for me, whether the approach, style or basic hands-on technique is there, the passion and true dedication to the art of guitar in his chosen area other than being, in my opinion, a whore for the limelight has generally seemed absent or lacking with most efforts for a long time. To me, it's sad. I don't get it. Where does it go? Is it a choice? Sometimes it's there on covers; I think Clive [Davis, legendary record executive] fell for that.

I have a couple thoughts here.  First, Axl sure does pay a lot of attention to what Slash is up to at any given time.  Second, I can appreciate the fact that Axl believes that Slash's passion is not there in the way it was in the early days.  However, I wonder what would have been possible had Slash continued to work with Axl in a manner than was productive...I am sure he would have created more inspired work than he has with Snakepit and VR.

One other comment.  Axl does not think the Illusion albums were good enough...however in my opinion, they are great!  While perhaps the sound was acheived differently than Appetite, I love those albums and Gn'R would not have been my favorite band had they not released those.  I think Illusions was a great progression from Appetite, and think they still hold up really well today.  Don't be so hard on those albums Axl!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:50:06 AM by 14 Yrs Of Silence » Logged

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
sandman
Legend

« Reply #404 on: March 01, 2009, 11:07:25 AM »

I think what Sandman is saying is, they kind of sold the album to the highest bidder. That could be seen in some circles as whoring your album to the highest bidder.

Maybe that was strictly the record labels doing, I have no idea.

So if the alternative is no release at all, it would be better because you're not whoring yourself out?  Roll Eyes

All this time, it's one complaint after another from some of you.

again, putting words in my mouth. i never acted "like the others have managed to get out." NOR did i ever come to the conlusion that "to release an album is whoring one out."

No, you just liked to point out how Axl is the one living in the shadow and how successful the others have been.

You singled him out to make your point.

The fact is, the same goes for all of them. But you didn't care enough to make that observation since it was all about how Axl is living in the shadow...  Roll Eyes

cause now he's criticizing the talents of a man that helped make Axl the person he is today.    

The funny thing is that even Slash himself has admitted to some of the things Axl pointed out.

For example, his guitar work on the Contraband album. Apparently Slash was not happy with the end result....

Which is basically what Axl was saying, Slash isn't an artist that has kept growing. He doesn't seem inspired/motivated enough.

That's what he said.

You disagree and think all his guitar work after leaving GN'R has been mind blowing? Fine, your opinion.

You have your opinion, Axl has his. Pretty simple.

It's also worth noting that Axl said: "I'm not taking anything away from the man that are his to claim for his past efforts".

/jarmo

i highlighted the bullshit and the lies you made about my comments above. i clearly have not said those things and already pointed it out once. it weakens YOUR points when you have to resort to that.

i know it's your job to defend Axl at all costs, so i'm not gonna waste time discussing this stuff with someone that will never look at it objectively.

i'll just say what i said before....i feel bad for him. i feel bad that this stuff bothers him so much. i feel bad that he waited so long to address these issues. and i feel bad that the public has seen and heard more of Slash's material in recent years. and that the public views CD as a joke, and believe Slash has been far more successful.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
victor08
« Reply #405 on: March 01, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »

Now that that I've finally had enough time to re-read the interview, a few bits that stand out for me.

Regarding Izzy:
He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time.

I'm very curious about this "deal" he negotiated.  I get the impression that Axl feels Izzys participation in the '06 shows was more about Izzy promoting his own thing rather than him doing it out of love and respect for Axl.

Steven [Adler] brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother.

This quote is funny...especially after seeing Steven's mom on the Celebrity Rehab, I totally get it!

There is the distinct possibility that having his intentions in regard to me so deeply ingrained and his personal though guarded distaste for much of 'Appetite' other than his or Duff's playing, Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after 'Lies.' In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better.

Interesting that Axl feels that Slash does not like Appetite other than his and Duff's parts.  What could Slash possibly have issue with?

I prefer listening to others in general, especially those who both push their talents and infuse them with a level of energy that I've seldom heard in his efforts over the years. I'm not taking anything away from the man that are his to claim for his past efforts; it's just that for whatever reason for me, whether the approach, style or basic hands-on technique is there, the passion and true dedication to the art of guitar in his chosen area other than being, in my opinion, a whore for the limelight has generally seemed absent or lacking with most efforts for a long time. To me, it's sad. I don't get it. Where does it go? Is it a choice? Sometimes it's there on covers; I think Clive [Davis, legendary record executive] fell for that.

I have a couple thoughts here.  First, Axl sure does pay a lot of attention to what Slash is up to at any given time.  Second, I can appreciate the fact that Axl believes that Slash's passion is not there in the way it was in the early days.  However, I wonder what would have been possible had Slash continued to work with Axl in a manner than was productive...I am sure he would have created more inspired work than he has with Snakepit and VR.

One other comment.  Axl does not think the Illusion albums were good enough...however in my opinion, they are great!  While perhaps the sound was acheived differently than Appetite, I love those albums and Gn'R would not have been my favorite band had they not released those.  I think Illusions was a great progression from Appetite, and think they still hold up really well today.  Don't be so hard on those albums Axl!

i agree. i love the illusions albums and the spaghetti incident. they picked great songs to cover, and some are even better than the originals, like human being. they did an amazing job on that song, and i'm a HUGE new york dolls fan, so that says something!  ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #406 on: March 01, 2009, 11:38:02 AM »

You know what? "D" is a cancer...and needs to be removed. He's the one stupid asshole that just never stops. Fuck him, cut him out like the tumor that he is and throw him in the trash.
add younggunner to that too.    both of these guys do nothing but complain about shit.   with "fans" like them, who needs detractors.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #407 on: March 01, 2009, 11:44:04 AM »

i highlighted the bullshit and the lies you made about my comments above.

Sorry, but some of the so called bullshit was aimed at D and some were general comments.

Some of you get upset because Axl doesn't like Slash's recent playing. It's his opinion and he should be able to have one. As I said, if you disagree and think Slash's playing has been great, that's your opinion.

I didn't mean to offend you by implying that you like Slash's recent playing.  hihi

You can twist it anyway you want, I saw your post and how you made it all about how sad it is for Axl to live in the shadow of the old band. When the fact is, if one is there, so are the others.  That's the point. ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #408 on: March 01, 2009, 11:45:32 AM »

You know what? "D" is a cancer...and needs to be removed. He's the one stupid asshole that just never stops. Fuck him, cut him out like the tumor that he is and throw him in the trash.

I think that's going pretty low.  Nobody deserves to be talked about like that.  
H76
Headliner

Human Being

« Reply #409 on: March 01, 2009, 11:56:20 AM »

God, this is ridiculous. Seriously, what the fuck is the big deal here? Axl called Slash a "cancer." So what? It isn't a secret that Axl and Slash aren't the best of friends. Love him or hate him for it, Axl has always been the kind of guy who speaks his mind and tells it like it is, regardless of who he may offend in the process.

I can't believe all the bickering back and forth that's going on in this thread. Aren't we all members of the same team? We're fans of Guns N' Roses--- past, present, and future.

Someone finally said it!  This is exactly how I feel.  Slash and Axl don't have to like eachother, but that doesn't mean we can't like both.  I like Slash simply because he was a part of a band that I love, and I love Axl because I just do, and don't feel any explanation is needed.  Like it or not, without Axl's voice, there is no GnR, and I'm just glad to finally hear it again, so worrying about what was or what could have been just seems pointless.  Who cares about what they say about eachother... let's just enjoy the music.

Exactly. We have much more to look forward to than in years. Lets just enjoy it, OK ?

Begin to see yourself as a soul with a body rather than a body with a soul. ~ Wayne Dyer ~
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #410 on: March 01, 2009, 12:09:12 PM »

God, this is ridiculous. Seriously, what the fuck is the big deal here? Axl called Slash a "cancer." So what? It isn't a secret that Axl and Slash aren't the best of friends. Love him or hate him for it, Axl has always been the kind of guy who speaks his mind and tells it like it is, regardless of who he may offend in the process.

Exactly what I've been trying to tell people. For some reason it hasn't registered with some.

If you go back and read some older Axl interviews, for example the Rolling Stone one from 1992, you'll see that he's always been the kind of guy who talks about what he feels like talking about.

He didn't spend that whole interview promoting the Use Your Illusion albums. Same thing with Del James' 1992 Axl interview in RIP.

Interesting point.

This is why some of the people who think they're on the team get upset.

Just because I have a different opinion on what it means to be in the team.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #411 on: March 01, 2009, 12:17:52 PM »

add younggunner to that too.    both of these guys do nothing but complain about shit.   with "fans" like them, who needs detractors.
rofl rofl

imagine if I made or supported those comments. Isnt that grounds for removal Jarmo? Isnt that a "horrific" insult? Or can I throw around similar statements...just change the names to the people who I feel belong in that statement?

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #412 on: March 01, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »

rofl rofl

imagine if I made or supported those comments. Isnt that grounds for removal Jarmo? Isnt that a "horrific" insult? Or can I throw around similar statements...just change the names to the people who I feel belong in that statement?

i dont come here day after day for the sake of complaining about axl rose and causing arguments with GnR fans.
darthdios
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #413 on: March 01, 2009, 12:25:19 PM »

this is really sad, so much  hate inside Axl?s heart it?s no good for him, and for his life, Axl must forgive Slash for anything, the real cancer is Axl?s hate, i?m feel so bad and sad for him, he was my idol, but with this , no more.
I hope Axl know how to forgive, and when that happens, he will have peace inside of him, so many of us love GN?R,Axl and Slash at  the same time.

Cry
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #414 on: March 01, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »

Poor you.

Remember when you told me I could just ban you with no protest from you the next time you broke the rules? Then when I pointed out the insult in your post, you just said it's no big deal and I should be able to take it.

Now you're upset?

So, are you gonna acknowledge your promise (and get banned for good) and have me yell at Jim Bob?

You can't have one without the other.

/jarmo

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #415 on: March 01, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »

rofl rofl

Roll Eyes How "horrific" an insult can it be since your reply when it was said about you was rofl rofl  ??

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #416 on: March 01, 2009, 12:34:48 PM »

Remember when you told me I could just ban you with no protest from you the next time you broke the rules? Then when I pointed out the insult in your post, you just said it's no big deal and I should be able to take it.

Now you're upset?

So, are you gonna acknowledge your promise (and get banned for good) and have me yell at Jim Bob?

i guess you didnt notice the  rofl rofl rofl  it means I can take it ok

Comments on here cannot not upset me. Only if I stoop down to the sensitivity levels that exist here.

I never knew I made this sort of deal with you. I said if you had to ban someone or whatever because of comments that I have pointed out would mean I get banned as well? Interesting

For the record I dont care if Jimbo and the other get banned or not. Im just pointing out the fact that if other people around here, including myself, made those comments, then that post would have been removed and or they would have been banned.

Poor you.
Jarmo, to quote the great Axl Rose...
"Im sorry for you, not sorry for me"  Grin

i dont come here day after day for the sake of complaining about axl rose and causing arguments with GnR fans.
nor do I....I come here read the news,etc and discuss it. Some of it I agree with, some I dont. If you cant handle people with opposing views than that sucks for you. My day isnt ruined because Jimbo, Jarmo, and others dont see things the way I or others see them. I can only voice my interpretation and stance....if people have similar or the same viewpoints, cool...if not...not a big deal....follow that and you wont come across as a  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

How "horrific" an insult can it be since your reply when it was said about you was    ??
lol thanks for making my point ok

and the best part is you werent trying to help me hihi

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:44:39 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #417 on: March 01, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »

Argue away the way you want, but I still say the original comments up above were pretty low and shouldn't have been said.  People can have differing opinions and that's fine, but I think namecalling like that is out of line. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #418 on: March 01, 2009, 12:42:56 PM »

I never knew I made this sort of deal with you.

Of course you don't, it was a few months ago.

Do you want me to quote the PM?

It's from one of those multiple messages you sent me asking me to let you back in. Which is something you kinda deny doing.

For some reason your tone isn't as "tough" in those messages.  Shocked

/jarmo

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #419 on: March 01, 2009, 12:43:01 PM »

Jarmo, in your life, has Axl Rose ever "rubbed" you the wrong way?  And I don't want to hear, "I love Axl for Axl", or "he just speaks his mind", yada, yada, yada... Have you ever been objective and said, "hmmm, not sure what Axl is trying to say there", or "That doesn't really make sense, I call BS".  I am not challenging your fanhood, just curious if all that Axl does is justifiable because he is "AXL FUCKING ROSE", or do you too find some of his actions questionable.  I know everyone makes mistakes, everyone has bad days.. What mistakes or bad days do you think Axl may have had in YOUR eyes.  Is there a single moment you can mention?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: