Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 04:06:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Issues with the US vinyl edition of Chinese Democracy?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Issues with the US vinyl edition of Chinese Democracy?  (Read 19020 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »

jarmo, can you confirm that there is no inner groove distortion on the european pressing?

I didn't listen to all the tracks.

So I'm not gonna starts promising anything like that..... Sorry.

As I said, the two tracks I listened to didn't skip and there were no finger prints on the vinyls.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2009, 04:42:18 PM »

I may have to look into getting a UK edition...it is about $40 bucks here in the states.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »

^^where can you buy it in the states?  anyone know if it's easily available in canada?

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2009, 05:09:09 PM »

^^where can you buy it in the states?  anyone know if it's easily available in canada?

There are a couple american retailers that sell it on ebay for about $35-40, plus you can buy it from a UK dealer on ebay as well....

Also, this cartridge reduces the inner groove distortion somewhat on Chin Dem, and has eliminated it on all of my other LPs entirely.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC05&Category_Code=A3

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:15:29 PM by JuicySwoos » Logged

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2009, 03:00:12 AM »

jarmo, can you confirm that there is no inner groove distortion on the european pressing?

I didn't listen to all the tracks.

So I'm not gonna starts promising anything like that..... Sorry.

As I said, the two tracks I listened to didn't skip and there were no finger prints on the vinyls.

/jarmo

I bought the vinyl in Norway. No skips, no smudges, no fingerprints....   Smiley  Played flawless all the way through all 4 sides.

The inlay which holds the records are rough paper with smooth silky/plastic material on the inside. As I understand it, the US version was rough paper only... Correct?

Stavanger-rock-city!!
Olorin
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2009, 03:44:58 AM »

The european press does have inner groove distortion, the final tracks on all sides are terrible quality. I have a top spec turntable and stylus, its no mistake, if its bad on that its will be worse on budget turntables.
Also sometimes records have the occasional skip, if you cant see a mark or scratch where it skips then the records will probably lose that skip when its been broken in. A simple trick is just move the record back and forth slowly over the point that skips, with the stylus obviously on the record. Just doing that for 30 seconds or so will often clean out the groove and remove the jump.

Its only the people from the US complaining loudly because so many copies look like they have been kicked around the factory floor for fun. I've bought thousands of records over the years and never came across what people described after getting CD at Best Buy.
Records look like that after being thrown around, or at best, a crazy accident that sent thousands of albums flying across the factory floor.
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2009, 04:44:05 AM »

The european press does have inner groove distortion, the final tracks on all sides are terrible quality. I have a top spec turntable and stylus, its no mistake, if its bad on that its will be worse on budget turntables.
Also sometimes records have the occasional skip, if you cant see a mark or scratch where it skips then the records will probably lose that skip when its been broken in. A simple trick is just move the record back and forth slowly over the point that skips, with the stylus obviously on the record. Just doing that for 30 seconds or so will often clean out the groove and remove the jump.

Its only the people from the US complaining loudly because so many copies look like they have been kicked around the factory floor for fun. I've bought thousands of records over the years and never came across what people described after getting CD at Best Buy.
Records look like that after being thrown around, or at best, a crazy accident that sent thousands of albums flying across the factory floor.

So thgis means that the actual master record is shitty then right?

Or can this be a problem simply because there are "to much music" forced onto each disc?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Olorin
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2009, 05:24:41 AM »

Well, all records will lose quality as it approaches the inside, but its barely noticable in most cases or not noticable at all.
UYI 1 and 2  sound great on vinyl, the quality does lessen on the inner song but its not really that bad.

Street Of Dreams is unlistenable on my copy of CD, IRS is bad, Catcher is terrible - the outro loses all bass completely.

To get the full experience of superior sound quality of vinyl, you need records with a song on each side, 12" singles will give the very best sound. 2 songs on each side will sound great as well, once you start going above that sound quality will lessen.
Albums pressed onto vinyl will all suffer from  it as more than one song is on each side, but it shouldnt ruin the experience. UYI on vinyl sounds much better than cd, everything is so vivid and distinct. But for the inner songs, cd is better.

The whole vinyl revival came about because mp3's sound crap, not because cd is suddenly crap.

I think part of the problem is that modern press's do actually try and create the best sound quality by having broad deep grooves, but they dont take take into account the space required, so they sometimes end up cramming in more grooves at the end of the record to squeeze in all the songs.

If they simply calibrated the length of data, the space required  for evenly spaced grooves, the record should have the same standard of sound quality all the way through.
I listen to my parents LPs from the 60's and 70's and they dont have inner groove distortion. The volume is a lot lower than higher quality presses but the volume and sound quality is consistant all the way through the record.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 06:00:30 AM by Odin » Logged
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2009, 06:18:09 AM »

I have 2 copies of the vinyl bought in the Uk and both are absolutely fine - no prints or inner-groove issues or any issue with condition of them at all.
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2009, 11:52:41 AM »

I have inner groove distortion on my european copy. I bought it in Sweden on the day the store got it (Nov. 26th)

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »

I have inner groove distortion on my european copy. I bought it in Sweden on the day the store got it (Nov. 26th)

Yeah, I pre-ordered mine from a Swedish retailer.

The vinyls look better and I didn't notice skips (like I have on the US copy), but the distortion is still there.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »

^^^^

Thanks for the info Jarmo...

sounds like it should have been a 3 or 4 LP set.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2009, 09:23:10 AM »

Yeah, I pre-ordered mine from a Swedish retailer.

The vinyls look better and I didn't notice skips (like I have on the US copy), but the distortion is still there.

/jarmo

I listened to the whole thing again yesterday. It's such a bummer how much better then the CD the songs sound until you get to the distortion.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2009, 08:43:25 PM »

jarmo, any news on this?

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »

Not really.

As far as I know, people are aware of the issues.

Hopefully these will be corrected in future pressings.

/jarmo

russtcb
Legend

« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »

Not really.

As far as I know, people are aware of the issues.

Hopefully these will be corrected in future pressings.

/jarmo

As soon as there's a corrected pressing out there as long as I can identify it, I'll pick it up.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
russtcb
Legend

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2009, 08:44:23 PM »

I can't remember if I asked this but;

Are there pressings out there that don't have these issues? There's anyway to tell them apart and get a chance of purchasing one that sounds great from start to finish, I'll glad pay again.

MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2009, 01:54:12 PM »

i was just listening to mine ( european release) and i don't have skips, but the last tracks on each side sound distorted and well... weird...

Chinese Democracy!
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2009, 05:01:04 AM »

How many of the songs have inner groove distortion? Is it (usually) the last two or only the last track?

Can anybody comment or confirm on this?

Thank you.

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2009, 04:39:42 PM »

How many of the songs have inner groove distortion? Is it (usually) the last two or only the last track?

Can anybody comment or confirm on this?

Thank you.

The ending of SOD, middle to end of Catcher, and almost all of IRS.  It will also very depending on turntable and cartridge/stylus.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »