Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 04:11:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Issues with the US vinyl edition of Chinese Democracy?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Issues with the US vinyl edition of Chinese Democracy?  (Read 19022 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: February 26, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »

How many of you that bought the US edition of the Chinese Democracy vinyl have issues with its quality?

I've read comments about skips, distorted sound, fingerprints and so on about the LP sold by Best Buy.

So if you have have experienced something disappointing in the quality of the US pressing, please post here and we'll see if we can forward the comments to somebody.

Please post where and when you bought the vinyl.

I only opened one of my US vinyls:

Pre-ordered vinyl, with delivery. Not store pick-up.

Came with smudges/finger prints.

Side A: Street Of Dreams multiple skips
Side B: Cather In The Rye: skip
Side C: I.R.S multiple skips

The last track on each side seems to sound distorted (?). The first two tracks on each side seem to sound nicer.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 01:02:25 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:31:15 AM »

I have yet to play mine.  I need to get a record player.  From what I could tell, mine are in perfect condition.  I had mine delivered, though, so it wasn't shipped to a store first.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:56:43 AM »

I ordered mine from bestbuy.com and had it delivered to my house. Everything seems in good shape except side 2 of the second LP. It came out of the sleeve looking extremely scratched.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »

I ordered mine from bestbuy.com and had it delivered to my house. Everything seems in good shape except side 2 of the second LP. It came out of the sleeve looking extremely scratched.

edit: I just saw the "when" part. I pre-ordered it and my pre-order arrived the Thursday before release.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Jono
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:12:27 PM »

I bought the the vinyl online from Chapters.ca, around the end of November. The packaging was in good condition, but the vinyl had smudges, scratches and fingerprints on it. Side one of the first vinyl plays fine, and side 2 plays somewhat okay, except for some skips at the end of If The World and the inner groove issue with Catcher causing the end to sound distorted. Side 3 is the worst of them all, Scraped and Riad skip incessantly, with IRS and Sorry only skipping a few times. Side 4 has a few skips as well in This I Love and Prostitute.

I know you say the US edition and Best Buy, but the version sold in Canada seems to be a US import by Universal Canada. So this issue would affect Canadians as well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:16:48 PM by Jono » Logged
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:26:51 PM »

I bought 2 US vinyls. I left one unopened and opened the other one. The ENTIRE first side is full of scratches!
Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »

I bought mine at Best Buy in Wisconsin. Anyways, mine had prints and scatches. When I returned it, I opened another in store and it had the same problem. Funny thing is, when I told my local indi shop owner about it, he suggested that the master might have had the flaws and it to be an issue of poor quality controll. Perhaps. Thanks, Jarmo.
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »

I bought mine about a month after release at a Best Buy in Las Vegas, NV. Mine was perfect, sounds great. I know this is a thread for defected ones, but I was thinking maybe since I got mine a month later, it was just the first batch that was messed up?

Axl is God.
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »

Mine is just for showing support for the band, hanging on the wall and looking at since I don't have a record player, so I can't bitch!

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »

It's great that some of you have bought copies, but it's not really helping if you haven't listened to them.....

So, please, only those that have listened to their LPs, reply from now on.

Thanks.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Shackler
Headliner

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 03:43:01 PM »

It's great that some of you have bought copies, but it's not really helping if you haven't listened to them.....

So, please, only those that have listened to their LPs, reply from now on.

Thanks.

/jarmo
If you dont mind me asking, y do u wanna know?

Like the tides done on the ocean, the waves already set in motion, the only one in this game that's lost is you!!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 03:57:10 PM »

If you dont mind me asking, y do u wanna know?

From my experience, people who buy vinyl to listen to, expect certain things like good sound quality.

If it turns out the vinyl version of Chinese Democracy, or a batch of the release, is low quality, maybe it can be fixed in the future.

The album deserves it.

/jarmo

Shackler
Headliner

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 04:04:28 PM »

O, cool.

I agree, If I cud afford it, I would have a top of the range surround sound system to listen to albums, bt unfortunately I cant...

But when I grow up!

Like the tides done on the ocean, the waves already set in motion, the only one in this game that's lost is you!!!
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:03:38 PM »

I bought it the day it came out. Finally got a turntable again & listened to it 2 weeks ago. There is at least 1 skip on each album side, looks as if something was spilled on one of the sides of the album and there is some odd distortion noticeable on Prostitute, or it may be easier to hear the audio issue on the string section of the song.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Hatts
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 05:40:23 PM »

My vinyl for sure came with some smudges and all kind of skips in If the world.  I was really bummed!

Thanks so much,
Hatts

"If I thought that I was crazy well i guess i'd have more fun."
hitmanhart408
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »

I bought mine at the store the first day. I dont remember complaining about any skips but I do remember seeing finger prints and being annoyed by it. I should listen to it again to see if there are skips.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »

First I would like to say thank you Jarmo for starting this thread.

I have purchased three copies of the US vinyl and listened to all three.  I purchased two at the Oakdale, MN store first day (one was a pre-order in store pick up), and the 3rd one I purchased at the Maplewood, MN store 3 weeks after the release (hoping I would get a good pressing).

All three copies had the smudges and finger prints, all three are distorted on the inner tracks. I did not have issues with skipping.

SOD, Catcher, and IRS are all distorted, (inner groove distortion).  Inner groove distortion is common and inherent to the vinyl format, because the innner grooves are much smaller so it is more difficult for the stylus to pick up the information.  However it should not be to this extreme, as a decent turntable with a decent and properly aligned cartridge will solve this issue.  I even purchased a new cartridge known for solving inner groove distortion and it only mildy reduced it on chin dem.

I also emailed BB and advised them that they should contact the company that pressed the LP's and let them know of this issue.  There are even customer reviews on the BB website that mention these issues. 

I also spoke to a couple of people who work at indie record stores that sell vinyl and was told that some new releases are substandard because of the limited number of pressing plants and the high demand for vinyl.  It is sometimes difficult to meet release date deadlines and as a result quality can suffer because they pull a rush job (that would explain the finger prints).  This is why many re-issues are often pushed back, and some new releases often come out on vinyl well after the initial release date.  If I were to speculate, I think Chin Dem got the rush job and at least some of the LPs are just poorly pressed.

So when I do listen to Chin Dem, I always skip SOD, Catcher, and IRS...Prostitute sounds ok but you'll notice that it is not as close to the middle of the LP as the songs that are distorted.  

I would gladly purchase another LP if or when this is corrected in the future, because Jarmo is right, the album deserves it....it is an album that is perfect for vinyl.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:54:55 PM by JuicySwoos » Logged

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 08:34:40 PM »

Yes I also have purchased 2 here in WA, yes mine also skips.  I haven't bitched about it as I also purchased a new turntable setup just for this.  I felt like maybe if I bought a better quality needle, it would possibly fix the problem, but have yet to do so.  When we were kids and the records sometimes skipped we would tape a penny on top of the needle arm for added weight, and it would stop, those were the days huh?  Anyway like some of you mentioned I have only opened one of the albums.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
user FKA webmoster
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 10:33:23 PM »

I bought mine at Best Buy in Vauxhall, NJ.

There were skips on Scraped, Rhiad, and Madagascar.

I returned it, and got another.

There were skips again on Rhiad.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 12:03:04 AM »

i bought a copy in canada.  the release was several weeks later than the US vinyl release date, so I expected that it was a different canadian pressing, but when i got it, it said it was a US pressing on the back.  like everyone else, there were fingerprints all over both vinyls.  there are also a lot of skips, as well as a lot of distortion on certain songs that aren't on the CD.

I exchanged the vinyl thinking that i just got a bad copy, but my replacement copy suffers from the same problems.  that sucks, cause I like to listen to most of my music on vinyl.  oh well, i just listen to the CD but am looking forward to an improved pressing.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: