Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 09:50:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GN'R makes RS.com "Readers? Rock List: Super Bowl Halftime Performers"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R makes RS.com "Readers? Rock List: Super Bowl Halftime Performers"  (Read 6336 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »

They are too polarizing and will never be "PC" enough because of One In A Million and Look At Your Game Girl among other things like the violence and misogyny that are associated with the band's lyrics by some

Look at the bands they've had play since then, I doubt very much they'd bring in a band that has the polarizing effect of GnR to play the most corporate gig in existence

I really dont think that OIAM and LAYGG have any influence on whether they will ever be asked or not. The superbowl has begun to stay away from rap acts and controversial artists. I really dont think America thinks Axl is controversial anymore...in the sense of what he might have once been.

The only way I see new gnr getting a chance to play is if they make a push for it. Maybe Axl and or his management..or cough cough the record company have some connections and can start planting some seeds.

If the old band reunites I can def see them having a better chance of playing on that kind of stage.

I actually have a cool idea(or atleast I think its cool lol) about how the Superbowl halftime act should be determined.

lol as for suggesting a gnr halftime set. TIL or NR, etc really isnt the right way to for a Superbowl set. Think sports, upbeat, etc

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 11:48:20 PM »

cool list!  ok
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 12:28:17 AM »

If GNR played the Superbowl it would be Welcome To The Jungle, Better SCOM and Paradise City For Sure

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 02:48:14 AM »

what's so awesomely impossible about seeing gnr play the superbowl halftime show?  the band has toured pretty consistantly since 2002.  they played the vma's.  why's it so impossible to imagine them playing teh superbowl?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 02:59:23 AM »

If the old band reunites I can def see them having a better chance of playing on that kind of stage.

Nice way of you slipping this stupid bullshit into the thread.   Its not going to happen, straight from the horses mouth.. so lets drop this topic.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 03:16:54 AM »

Slipping it in? Um this is a discussion about a possible superbowl appearance.

only 2 ways gnr get to play

the new band somehow get a push

or

if the old band reunited then it is prob more likely

thats not slipping in its reality. the only reunion i want to see at the moment is the 02 lineup

as for the old band...no matter what is said now...never say never

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 04:15:18 AM »

Well, instead of complaining about the interviews Axl isn't doing, maybe you could take the time to read the ones he has done recently.
Stewie Griffin
Opening Act

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 09:39:22 AM »

It won't happen.

3 reasons I don't think it would/could ever happen:
3)  There is a script
2)  The show MUST go on at a certain time
1)  The Superbowl isn't big enough to close a GnR concert...it would need to open for them.

Simple as that.

Stewie: Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total bitch.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »

@CHINESE DEMOCRACY NOW the list is for Super Bowl in 2010.
I'm for younggunner's set.

the awesomely impossible? Grin

There is no way they would allow GnR to play with their PC obsession after the Janet Jackson thing

Is GNR politically incorrect?  Huh

ever hear One in a Million hihi
or Pretty Tied Up hihi
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 10:13:09 AM »

No I don't hear they ever played those songs in the last 2 decades.

It won't happen.

3 reasons I don't think it would/could ever happen:
3)  There is a script
2)  The show MUST go on at a certain time
1)  The Superbowl isn't big enough to close a GnR concert...it would need to open for them.

Simple as that.

How they could make the vmas, then?
Not that I'm disparate to see it happen tho. hell I'm not even big on Super Bowl.

the thing is that so many people are eager that GNR should play at there next year.  good news, nay?  ok

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 11:15:17 AM »

personally I'd rather see zeppelin play the Super Bowl than GnR;

soley for the fact those shows are more "nostalgia" sets and if GnR were gonna play a set that would be in the vain of past performances; the set would consist mainly of old guns songs and it wouldn't be fair to the band to trot them out to the SB just to play the old lineups songs

Stewie Griffin
Opening Act

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 11:20:36 AM »

Speaking solely on the Superbowl here: frankly, it's not the time limit or the number one listed that I'm really considering. It's number three. The Superbowl pre-show producer stated in an interview (regarding Jennifer Hudson) that no performer should perform live Roll Eyes. The performances are recorded a week or so before the game. Can anyone see Axl accepting that? I personally can't. Really, I wouldn't want to see that. It takes something out of the performance. At the last VMA performance, Axl did not lip-sync, and that was awesome. I can see that one happening again.

The time limit, eh. I think when it comes to things like that, it doesn't really count. It's not a show, it's a simple performance. It's different.

It is a good thing that people want to see them perform there. I just don't see it happening. Perhaps I should have put it that way, stating it as opinion instead of seemingly fact. And if it does happen, I'll eat my AFD hat. yes

Not that I'm disparate to see it happen tho. hell I'm not even big on Super Bowl.

Same here.

Stewie: Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total bitch.
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 12:23:52 PM »

Wait until 2012 when the game is in Indianapolis, Indiana.  That would be epic!

Chicago 11/15/11
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »

Every year I watch the Superbowl Halftime Show I was always think, "Man, how awesome would it be to see Axl rocking out on stage right now?"

Personally, I don't think it will happen with the current line-up. Too many people don't consider this Guns N' Roses. Now, if He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was in the band, I think without a doubt GNR would be asked to perform. I mean, "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Paradise City" are played at every sporting event anyway.

Maybe a few years from now it could happen, once people accept that a reunion isn't going to happen. And especially if the current line-up continues to put out awesome music and tour and stuff.

I think it's a great honor to play at the halftime show. It hasn't always been that way. I remember Shania Twain and No Doubt performing during one Superbowl. And then you had people like Justin Timberlake and stuff. But ever since the Janet Jackson fiasco, the halftime show has gone to well-respected artists/bands who deserve it, like Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, etc. I kind of see the halftime show as a lifetime achievement award nowadays.

There's only so many bands/musicians out there still that really "deserve" it, and GNR is one of them. And as for GNR  being a risky pick, I disagree. Prince was pretty damn controversial back in the day, and he put on the best halftime show I've ever seen, without doing anything "risque."

Here Today . . .
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »

the set would consist mainly of old guns songs and it wouldn't be fair to the band to trot them out to the SB just to play the old lineups songs
a set of jungle, better, scraped, and pc is a perfectly balanced set. dont act like the new band doesnt have anthems to play at a sporting event

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 01:11:39 PM »

the set would consist mainly of old guns songs and it wouldn't be fair to the band to trot them out to the SB just to play the old lineups songs
a set of jungle, better, scraped, and pc is a perfectly balanced set. dont act like the new band doesnt have anthems to play at a sporting event

better and scraped to you and me are great songs; but none of the recent acts played new material; it's a greatest hits setlist and if GnR are gona play the SB- I doubt there playing better or scraped, regardless of how much fans may like those to songs
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »

Bruce played his new single, along with some hits.  I don't think the other performers have had new CD's out at the time.  So IF GNR were to play I would expect them to slip in at least one new song, just like at the VMA's.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »

I'm not big on Superbowl, but I do enjoy the festivities it brings once a year, I still participate in watching though, and preparing for the gathering we usually have, I'm definately thinking I would be into it much, much more knowing my favorite band would be there at half time. Here's to hoping it becomes a reality ok

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »

yea if GNR are to be at the halftime I can no way stay indifferent to super bowl.

is it american football yes?  Embarrassed

The Superbowl pre-show producer stated in an interview (regarding Jennifer Hudson) that no performer should perform live Roll Eyes. The performances are recorded a week or so before the game. Can anyone see Axl accepting that? I personally can't. Really, I wouldn't want to see that. It takes something out of the performance. At the last VMA performance, Axl did not lip-sync, and that was awesome.

unlike other performers. Vmas show is mostly scripted too, isn't it?
Padmasana
Headliner

King of Beers

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 04:11:20 PM »

Wait until 2012 when the game is in Indianapolis, Indiana.  That would be epic!

And the most plausible suggestion floated so far.

Funny how everything was Roses when we held onto the Guns...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: