Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 04:26:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228096 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" starting to gain MAJOR steam.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" starting to gain MAJOR steam.  (Read 65116 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2009, 05:21:12 PM »

Isn't best buy small compared to walmart? Could be the recession hit them hard and tightened their budget.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »

Isn't best buy small compared to walmart? Could be the recession hit them hard and tightened their budget.

They're certainly smaller, but I see Best Buy ads all the time, not to mention that if you have one of their RewardZone cards they email you and send you coupons.  AC/DC's promotion was pretty large...surprisingly so, really...so I'm not surprised it wasn't up to that level, but they could have tacked a five second blurb on the end of any ad saying "Guns N' Roses.  Chinese Democracy.  Out Now and only at Best Buy." 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »

Right on the front sliding doors at all 4 of my local BB there is a sticker promoting CD. Anyway, I don't blame BB either. If it wasn't for them and the bidding war between them and Walmart we might still be without CD. Like Axl said, the album that we have is a miracle. It is a miracle that it was even released. Now, I am an agnostic but I appreciate that emphasis. If BB even had a small part in getting this album out, then I think the only thing to say is "Thank you."

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2009, 05:42:53 PM »

I'm extremely pleased that the album did come out.

I just don't agree with the "it's Axl's fault" mentality of some fans.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »

They're certainly smaller, but I see Best Buy ads all the time, not to mention that if you have one of their RewardZone cards they email you and send you coupons.  AC/DC's promotion was pretty large...surprisingly so, really...so I'm not surprised it wasn't up to that level, but they could have tacked a five second blurb on the end of any ad saying "Guns N' Roses.  Chinese Democracy.  Out Now and only at Best Buy." 

hmm  Huh had they done a music exclusive before this? if so how did they execute it?

do you think walmart would have been a better choice?

I remember when the exclusive rumour was in the air many here hated walmart and preferred bestbuy.
Shaggins13
Headliner

« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »

Is it a definite that the BB Exclusive period is ending this month and then it will open up to everywhere?  Or, is it just rumor? 
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2009, 06:01:09 PM »

definitely not. rumour has it that's not this month.

edit* Or is there another rumour?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:02:56 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2009, 06:16:05 PM »

This month? I thought it was a 6 month exclusive.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2009, 06:41:13 PM »

I just don't agree with the "it's Axl's fault" mentality of some fans.
Its certainly not all his fault but he definitely shares some of the blame.

Axl, Robin, and Best Buy all share responsibility for the horrendous promotion and lack luster sales.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:46:56 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »

yeah Jarmo, u have to admit, I figured a RS cover,  interview, at least a video or something.

Axl hasn't given one interview outside of the message board thing.

So he released the album, but he sure hasn't done anything to help either.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2009, 06:50:20 PM »

No, he hasn't.  But to be fair, if Axl feels he's been screwed over in the Best Buy deal, then he isn't going to do any publicity / promotion that would effectively send people there to spend money.

If you don't believe in yourself, don't expect others to.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2009, 06:56:53 PM »

With our team we were able to negotiate thru a mountain of issues to be able to release the album. Within' those negotiations I believed I had secured agreements, commitments and assurances that would have allowed a promotional strategy to be implemented that obviously I've had a fair amount of time to consider. Unfortunately those things never happened and once the record was closer to release the biz went about things in their standard business as usual mode.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2009, 06:58:01 PM »

Still, that doesn't stop some interviews etc.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2009, 07:07:32 PM »

Axl knew the fans wanted to hear from him following the release of CD.

I believe this may have been one of the reasons he came to the forums.  By coming here, he could give some answers and information to his fans without going through the mainstream media.

Doing an interview at this stage would not just be promoting the album, it would be promoting Best Buy as well.

If you don't believe in yourself, don't expect others to.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2009, 07:25:13 PM »

Axl knew the fans wanted to hear from him following the release of CD.

I believe this may have been one of the reasons he came to the forums.  By coming here, he could give some answers and information to his fans without going through the mainstream media.

Doing an interview at this stage would not just be promoting the album, it would be promoting Best Buy as well.

Which is why the whole message board thing was really cool and nice of Axl. He gets it in regards to that.

The thing I disagree with you on is the whole helping Best Buy thing by doing promotion.

This isnt just another GNR album. This is an album that will shape Axls legacy because of all the circumstances. You would think Axl would have came out fighting for this album and the decision to make it without the old band, etc.

Like I said earlier, for me, I think there are 3 main people to blame for what has happened up to this point.

But luckily for us we have the album and Axl was cool enough to talk with his true fans. We just are greedy because we want to see GNR take off in the mainstream...which is why we care about this kind of stuff....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
dash
Headliner

Chinese Democracy Starts ....... Who Knows Wen??!!

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2009, 07:33:03 PM »

With our team we were able to negotiate thru a mountain of issues to be able to release the album. Within' those negotiations I believed I had secured agreements, commitments and assurances that would have allowed a promotional strategy to be implemented that obviously I've had a fair amount of time to consider. Unfortunately those things never happened and once the record was closer to release the biz went about things in their standard business as usual mode.

/jarmo

Even if Axl has all the reasons to feel fooled by his label is that a valid reason to give up of 14 years work and let it fade away?
Some times we have to swalow some frogs so that we can endure.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:49:48 AM by dash » Logged
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2009, 07:38:47 PM »

OK...SO...NOW WHAT GNR CAN DO TO IMPROVE SALES?....TOUR?...INTERVIEWS?...VIDEO?............THEY DONT SAY ANYTHIGN ABOUT A TOUR TO SUPPORT THE ALBUM AND THE BETTER VIDEO ONLY GOD KNOWS WHEN WE GONNA SEE IT. GNR WORLD IS SO WIERD  Huh
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2009, 09:00:53 PM »

This keeps being quoted as some sort of reason for lack of promo. Its not. I feel this is more of an acknowledgment of a lack of promo. It still says NOTHING of what was planned or why there is still a lack of promo.  Axl is saying that the ball was dropped, but he doesnt say why he himself wont pick it up. And honestly, I dont really know what else Best Buy was supposed to do. They did adverts, commercials, and are selling the album.  They are a store. They sell CDs.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »

What else can they do when the artist himself doesn't do anything? No interviews, promotion or videos...  Smiley

So that's the reason why CD was featured in the Best Buy circular like 3-4 times? And that the TV spot was aired the same amount of times?

Is there a formula for that?

If Axl interview == true then TV spot > 4

I'm glad you're all happy with Best Buy so far.

/jarmo

so now you're just making shit up. i haven't seen anyone say they are happy with Best Buy. i also haven't seen anyone say it's entirely Axl's fault.

but at least Best Buy did something. and that was my original point. best buy clearly did not expect axl to do everything.

it's funny how the tables have turned....people were slamming the Best Buy deal and they were called "haters." turns out all those haters were right!

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »

it's funny how the tables have turned....people were slamming the Best Buy deal and they were called "haters." turns out all those haters were right!

Maybe those "haters" like to slam everything GN'R does? Maybe that's why they're called haters in the first place...

Best Buy did something, that's true. They put the album in the circular a few times and put a cardboard display in their stores.

They do this "something" to many other releases that aren't exclusives to that chain. My point has been all along that, I personally as a GN'R fan, was expecting more from them.

But without Axl putting that record out, they wouldn't even have done that.

So by saying Axl did nothing, maybe he did the impossible by actually getting it to Best Buy in the first place.  Tongue

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: