Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 03:29:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Sammy Hagar: For Slash To Try And Play Eddie Van Halen's Stuff Was Wrong
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sammy Hagar: For Slash To Try And Play Eddie Van Halen's Stuff Was Wrong  (Read 3926 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: January 14, 2009, 12:11:37 PM »

SAMMY HAGAR: For SLASH To Try And Play EDDIE VAN HALEN's Stuff Was Wrong - Jan. 14, 2009

Imhotep's Thiago Sarkis recently conducted an interview with former VAN HALEN singer Sammy Hagar. An excerpt from the chat follows below.

Imhotep: Do you understand Dave's [Lee Roth] decision to not attend the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony because VELVET REVOLVER was playing instead of VAN HALEN?

Sammy: "I don't think that was it. I know the guys in that band. Dave was calling them up every day driving them crazy to get them to let him sing with them. That's why it got all screwed up, because Dave wanted to do it his way. And they were only allowed to do two songs, and he was trying to do two songs with them and not me. Dave was playing his bullshit Dave games and he fucked it all up! And 'cause they told him, 'No, Sammy's gonna sing a song and you're gonna sing a song with VELVET REVOLVER,' and Dave said, 'Fck you, then I am not coming.'"

Imhotep: He wanted to sing with VELVET REVOLVER instead of VAN HALEN?

Sammy: "VAN HALEN wasn't gonna be there. He wanted to take over the thing and make VELVET REVOLVER play the songs he wanted to play, to play David Lee Roth-era VAN HALEN songs and not Sammy's songs. He didn't want me to be any part of it. Dave tried to change that and they said, 'No, this is about two singers. Sammy sold more records than you with the band. It's going to be one song with Sammy and one song with Dave,' and he walked out."

Imhotep: How are things between you and Dave nowadays? Especially taking into account the tour you did together some years ago.

Sammy: "It was okay, it was fun, but I think it could have been much greater. Dave is not an easy guy to get along with. I like him, I like what he did with VAN HALEN but I can't say much for him now because I just feel he is still trying to be the same guy he was in 1984 and he's not. And on that tour he hired a VAN HALEN tribute band called the ATOMIC PUNKS and he took the singer out and he put himself in there. It was so stupid because he played only VAN HALEN songs and acted like he was in VAN HALEN and he hadn't been in VAN HALEN in 20 years. Some of the fans were really disappointed. No matter what you heard from the press or what he said, I'm telling you right now he bombed every fucking night. I mean, you go out and bust out with 'Running With The Devil' and the fans are gonna cheer, you do 'Jump', and the fans are gonna cheer. Those are great songs, but in the end of the night, he didn't sell any t-shirts. I know this sounds crazy, you gauge the bands that you have as an opening act, if they sell a huge amount of t-shirts, the people usually like them. He didn't sell any t-shirts. He is still trying to sell his t-shirts for five dollars a piece, on tour they are 40. He was so embarrassed that he would sell 100 shirts and I would sell 7,000, and it was completely obvious that the fans were walking way going, 'Man, what the fuck was that?' You can make people cheer any way you want, but will they come back and see you? Dave tried to get back on tour and it was a disaster because he ruined everything."

Imhotep: How do you feel about VELVET REVOLVER's tribute to VAN HALEN at Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame?

Sammy: "I don't think it was very good and I really like those guys. It was unfair to take a young band like that, that had only been together for one album and try and make them try to be VAN HALEN. I think it was a little bit of a mistake but it wasn't their fault cause they are great and I like those guys a lot, they are really good friends. Slash is a great guitar player when he is playing his stuff. But for Slash to try and play Eddie's stuff was wrong. They should have had Steve Vai or Joe Satriani, or somebody like that to play the part. They should have had a legend induct and put together a great bunch of players who are more adapted to VAN HALEN to do the tribute."

Imhotep: What do you think about the new VAN HALEN bassist, Eddie's son, Wolfgang Van Halen?

Sammy: "I think that Eddie wasn't thinking clear. Wolfie is a great kid, I love him, and if Eddie wants to play with his son it's his business and if I wanna play with my son, it's my business. The whole thing about Eddie is that he should take Wolfie and produce a record for him, so he and Al [Alex Van Halen] could play on the record and they could get a young singer that is like Wolfie, and let Wolfie start his own band. I mean, THE BEATLES didn't get Julian to replace John Lennon when he died."

Read the entire interview from Imhotep: Part#1, Part#2.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=112444

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »

The man must have had too many tequila shots.

He sold more VH records than Dave???

Hahahahahaha.  rofl

What a bitter old man.

T-shirt sales, you kiddin' me?

Go back to opening shows for Kenny Chesney, Fagar.
kobys
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:47:12 PM »

Hahahahahaha.  rofl

What a bitter old man.

He actually did sell more records with VH than DLR. As for being a bitter old man, what does he have to be bitter about? All the money he made with Montrose? The money from his his successful solo career? The millions he made from his successful run with VH? Maybe it's the success he's had with his Cabo Wabo tequila and Cabo Wabo cantina in Cabo. I seriously don't think that he's bitter. And if he is then he's the most ungrateful man in the world!

I'm a Ronald Reagan conservative and damn proud of it!
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »

He may not be bitter but he is a douche!!
kobys
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:34:07 PM »

He may not be bitter but he is a douche!!

DLR is the douche. Nobody in VH could even get along with him. At least with sammy there was a long friendship. It didn't end so well but they did get along well for about 11 years. I like how friendly Sammy is with his fans. DLR seems like the most egotistical person on the planet.

I'm a Ronald Reagan conservative and damn proud of it!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »

oh shoot, I thought I was in the VR section but I'm clearly in the VH thread in bad obsession Wink
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »

Hahahahahaha.  rofl

What a bitter old man.

He actually did sell more records with VH than DLR.

No he didn't, get your facts straight.

VH1 and 1984 are both diamond.  That's at least twenty million for both.  VH1 was last certified in 1996, 1984 in 1999.

That's 20 million out of the total 56 million VH has sold with Roth, Hagar, and Cherone.  And they had four other albums that were successful.

They may have had #1 albums with Sammy, but overall, DLR-era VH sold more units.

I've met plenty of rich people who are bitter, what's your point?

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:20 PM »

Back on topic or continue in the VH thread in the Bad Obsession section of the forum.

Thanks.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »

Velvet Revolver paying tribute to Van Halen. 

Velvet Revolver - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love/Runaround

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA89Tl8rj48

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »

I didn't think VR clip sucked too bad...but this whole thing confuses me...Why didn't Van Halen play the RRHF - did Eddie's rascal scooter break down?  Why would DLR want to sing with VR?  Why is Sammy so bitter and dilusional (The crowd cheered but Dave didn't sell T-shirts)?  Has Scott always done the Mick Jagger rip-off posturing/arm thing on stage?   Huh

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »

VH didn't play - Eddie was in rehab at the time. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 01:23:20 AM »

I thought it was ok..................

I hate when bands get such an honor and can't be there to accept it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 03:23:18 AM »

I agree with him that Slash isn't the best player to play EVH's stuff. Like he said Satriani or Vai would have been better.

Fuck 'Em All.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »

Doesn't sound bitter?  Are you kidding me?  Saying DLR bombed EVERY night when they toured together.  Methinks he's a little jealous that Eddie and Dave reconciled and he's stuck playing "Mas Tequila" and some Sammy era VH classics with Michael Anthony.  I saw Dave twice on the recent VH tour and he certainly didn't bomb.

Also I remember him being all psyched about VR paying tribute to VH that night and said it was great.  After some reflection I guess he changed his tune.  I do agree with him about that though.  It really wasn't that good.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »

Slash got about the fifth note of the intro painfully wrong.  Aside from that, it wasn't too bad, I think he handled Eddie's parts fine.  Scott Weiland, on the other hand, what was he doing?  Singing in a weird voice and some of the strangest moves I've ever seen.

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 09:42:01 AM »

Hagar sining DLR  songs on tour is much worse than Slash playing Eddie's part for a one off tribute. 

LOL!! rofl
But seriously, I dont think VR prepared to much for that gig, when there were so much drama behind the scenes and uncertanty about who were going to play and not.. Thats probably why it werent one of their best performances (ok, I have to say, it kinda sucked) ok

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: