Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:31:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  I'm new to Guns N Roses...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm new to Guns N Roses...  (Read 16171 times)
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2009, 04:54:42 PM »

My best advice to any new GNR fan is to get bootlegs or watch live performances of GNR on You Tube

From the club era:
Roxy January 18, 1986

From AFD:
Ritz 1988 or Felt Forum 1988

From UYI:
London 1991
Paris 1992
San Diego 1992
New Haven 1993
Argentina 1993

From CD:
Rock Am Ring 2006
Download Festival 2006.

You will learn to have an additional appreciation for their abilities live, which are as impressive or even more-so than in the studio.
Not only did you encounter a great Hard Rock Band, but also the Greatest Live Performing Hard Rock Band of All Time!
 ok
Mark

I totally agree. If you are thinking you are going to become a serious GNR fan you need to get bootlegs. I don't like to promote bootlegs, but there are just some really amazng things out there you need to hear. And see! Welcome too the GNR world!
amyl

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2009, 06:22:04 PM »

Didn't he say he already had Appetite and Illusions?  So get Lies which is just an EP and then get Democracy.

It also depends on what type of music he is really into.  I love the sound of acoustic guitars so I would go with Lies, if he prefers more production in his music then CD should be his next purchase.  Either way he can't really go wrong.

Exactly.

So the next natural one to get would be Chinese Democracy.

Both GN'R Lies and "The Spaghetti Incident?" were basically put out in between the "real" albums...

/jarmo

There is a big difference between Lies and TSI in that Lies is almost all original music.  And the acoustic side is all original, even You're Crazy is the original version per se.  Which btw is a great song acoustically from Axl's voice to Slash' guitar, definitely better than the version on AFD imo.

But yeah CD would be a wise choice next seeing as how he already has the other 3 "real" albums.  Either way I think if he reads between all the bullshit in this thread he will most likey pick up everything else and most likely enjoy it all.
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »

god, the old band's stuff is sooooo overrated. 

Blasphemy.

i'm sorry to say it, but those old songs just do not hold up as well to me.  sure, if you like simple songs with three chords and the same blues scales, then the old band's music is definitely for you.  if you like your music to be more challenging, and complex and symphonic like queen, then join the rest of us in 2009. 

look, everybody's got different opinions and i can accept that.  but if you think 'take me down to the paradise city where teh grass is green and the girls are pretty' is an amazing idea for a song, then by all means have a blast witht he old band.  i just happen to enjoy music and art that tries to do more.  so sue me.

Is this Ashton Kutcher?

Surely to God u can't be serious.  We are all being punked right?

Treat yourself and look through the history of falungong's posts. Grab a beer or two and relax, don't take it too seriously, and check some of the baffled reactions. Soon you'll be laughing out loud.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »

I don't even count Spaghetti as a real album. Its pretty much just cover versions. I'd definitely recommend CD over that
It is a top quality cover album though to be fair.

It rocks Cheesy

html sucks
Annie
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2009, 07:49:45 AM »

I would get the DVDS of WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS and the making of the Trilogy, NR,DC and Estranged.
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2009, 09:41:15 AM »

I would get the DVDS of WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS and the making of the Trilogy, NR,DC and Estranged.
Those need to be watched indeed!!   Smiley

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
y2marmar
Headliner

I love the chosen one...

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »

Yep, definite necessities. Followed of course by the two live UYI dvds.

Jean Claude Jaquatee...because you know who you are...when you're you
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2009, 09:29:12 AM »

Yep, definite necessities. Followed of course by the two live UYI dvds.
and then....... and then and then and then!!!! Tongue

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2009, 10:05:56 AM »

I bought Appetite For Destruction about three weeks ago and absolutely loved it. I went out and got Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 last week, and although it wasn't as immediate as the debut, it's been a real grower and I probably prefer them both to APFD.

What do you think I should get next? For some reason, The Spaghetti Incident doesn't appeal to me... maybe because it's a covers album... is it as good as the other albums?

Buy The Spaghetti Incident, you won't regret it. It's kickass, as the kids would say.

Lies, and The Live Era are awesome too. And of course get Chinese Democracy if you haven't already.
MattyJam
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2009, 02:17:34 PM »

Is the making of the trilogy a DVD by itself?
Annie
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2009, 04:18:23 PM »

There used to be 3 separate VHS tapes of all 3 songs. They probably have them on DVD. It was called making f******g videos, parts 1,2 and 4.
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2009, 11:12:32 PM »

There used to be 3 separate VHS tapes of all 3 songs. They probably have them on DVD. It was called making f******g videos, parts 1,2 and 4.

Actually, the "Making of" trilogy has yet to be released on DVD... which kind of sucks. I never watch my VHS copies because I don't even have a VCR anymore.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Annie
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2009, 10:13:07 AM »

Actually, the "Making of" trilogy has yet to be released on DVD... which kind of sucks. I never watch my VHS copies because I don't even have a VCR anymore.
My bad.
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2009, 05:30:13 AM »

there is a fanmade dvd available if you know where to look though. 

You might as well get Chinese Democracy next, as it is the next really big point in the GnR story after UYI (and not a bad album either).  Lies and TSI are just interesting filler really, they don't chart their progression much.  Both are worth getting at some stage, though. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: