Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:21:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  I'm new to Guns N Roses...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm new to Guns N Roses...  (Read 16203 times)
MattyJam
Banned
Headliner

« on: January 13, 2009, 05:45:11 AM »

I bought Appetite For Destruction about three weeks ago and absolutely loved it. I went out and got Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 last week, and although it wasn't as immediate as the debut, it's been a real grower and I probably prefer them both to APFD.

What do you think I should get next? For some reason, The Spaghetti Incident doesn't appeal to me... maybe because it's a covers album... is it as good as the other albums?
axljungle
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 06:04:01 AM »

First you have to buy "Lies", hear it during a month, and then, hear again Use Your Illusion I N' II, during another month, and then, buy The Spaghetti Incident and Chinese Democracy and enjoy it.

For me The Spaghetti Incident is the worse album, but I like it too.

After a year or so, when you'll have heard a lot of times every album, you can buy Live Era.

The Guns N Roses music, is music you should hear several times to apreciate right.

MattyJam
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:08:19 AM »

Is Lies the EP I heard about that was recorded before AFD?

Is it in a similar vein to UYI?
axljungle
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:14:07 AM »

Lies is an album that have two parts.
1. The Ep of Guns N Roses before AFD, that it?s called Live Like a Suizide!
2. Four great Acoustic songs, one of them it's the acoustic version of You're Crazy, that it said the acoustic version it's original version.

In 1990 I had a tape that I recorded, with some songs of AFD and acoustic songs of Lies, and I really enjoyed it.

Offtopic: Sorry for my english  Embarrassed

wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:33:36 AM »

hmmh, sorry to be pain in the ass, but how about getting their current work Chinese Democracy first and listen to it? without getting into deep and uneccessary discussion with many other fans it is something that is current, sounds great and is above everything they have ever done.

because if You are going to see them live or continue to follow GN'R, new album and the next album is what You'll hear the most. you can always enjoy older things (from hell) later on ...

and this thread would be better in Dead Horse, sorry, nothing personal ...

that's just my advice ...

-velimir
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:35:15 AM by Bitch » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »

I bought Appetite For Destruction about three weeks ago and absolutely loved it. I went out and got Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 last week, and although it wasn't as immediate as the debut, it's been a real grower and I probably prefer them both to APFD.

What do you think I should get next? For some reason, The Spaghetti Incident doesn't appeal to me... maybe because it's a covers album... is it as good as the other albums?

Definitely buy Lies.

There's only 2 or 3 tracks that I can even listen to on The Spaghetti Incident ...just not by bag o' tricks.  Out of all the GnR catalog, that's the one album that almost NEVER makes it into my CD player.   Even Greatest Hits goes in more frequently (and I own all the material on that, on other albums, except Sympathy for the Devil).

I would suggest buying the LIVE Era CD, which I quite like.  Just realize it's "sweetened up" quite a bit.  Still good, IMHO, though.  If you can get the Japanese Import version (used to be able to via Amazon, not sure anymore), so you can get "Coma" live...do it.  It's worth the extra cash..at least for me.

And definitely buy Chinese Democracy.  It's different than the first 3 albums and 2 EP's (the 2 EP's being combined to get the GnR Lies CD) for sure.  But then...so is music, today *(and so were the UYI albums compared to Appetite).  It's excellent, excellent stuff, though.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:44:18 AM »

hmmh, sorry to be pain in the ass, but how about getting their current work Chinese Democracy first and listen to it? without getting into deep and uneccessary discussion with many other fans it is something that is current, sounds great and is above everything they have ever done.

because if You are going to see them live or continue to follow GN'R, new album and the next album is what You'll hear the most. you can always enjoy older things (from hell) later on ...

-velimir

I second that. Listen to CD and work your way back from there.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
axljungle
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »

-velimir

I disagree, because Mattyjam just heard AFD, and I think that he should hear Lies, then another time USI, and then Chinese Democracy, and Matty can see the evolution of Guns N Roses in this years.

Mattyjam said that "abolutelly love AFD", and then said that USI is growing, well, if heard the albums in debut order, will enjoy Chinese Democracy a lot.

I first fall in love with AFD and Lies, Later I fall in love with USI, and enjoy TSI, and now I fall in love with Chinese Democracy, if I heard Chinese Democracy at the same time that USI, probably I like CD, but nothing more.

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »

I'd say CD first, seeing as it's the current album, and then Lies. I think TSI is underrated. There's some good stuff on there. Black Leather and Human Being especially. Cool You should probably be able to find it cheap somwhere and if you don't like it, you won't have wasted too much money.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »

if you bought both UYI1 and 2 last week, let them grow on you a bit more before you buy something new maybe? so you don't just buy everything right away, it can make you feel a bit full or fed up or how to say,

have AFD and the Illusion records for some time and let them sink in before you take in more, at least i'm that way when it comes to music, even though i really like one record of them i wait a while and let it sink in, then try another with the same band or else it can ruin and bore the experience

after you've had the 3 you have right now for some time, i'd say try lies then maybe CD if you think you won't like TSI, at the moment CD is probably my favorite yes
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 11:18:07 AM »

god, the old band's stuff is sooooo overrated.  just go ahead and skip to the good stuff.  once you hear chinese democracy you'll wonder what you ever saw in afd. 

also, make sure to get 'oh my god,' the first single released by gnr after the old band was gone.  that songs as good as the stuff on chinese democracy (almost).
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »

-velimir
Thats debatable. And id be pretty certain the majority would place CD second.  Although id place it third, but thats cause most of my teen years were spent listening to there old albums.

No fucking idea what the hell Falungong69 is talking about. I think even Jarmo would say that GNR's material is not over-rated, no matter what line up or era.

Lies is an EP consisting of (then) new material which is more in the acoustic area, songs like Patience, One In a Million etc. It also has the "live" tracks off the first EP LIVE LIKE A SUICIDE.

The Spaghetti Incident is a great album if you wanna crank something up loud n rock the fuck out. Its not technical and of course, its a covers album. But it fuckin rocks nice n raw.

CD is a VERY different album to the rock band you hear on those albums you bought. As of course, its a different band. If you have an open music taste then you will most definately love this album as i, and many others have done so. But if you want the hard rock band nothing else GNR i doubt youll like this as its got alot more to it then that. Its an interesting album to say the least.

html sucks
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »

Also another importent thing. Someone mentioned the live album.

Its ok but of course its been tampered with so its not really a "True" live album.

If you get into the bootleg community. Then i would suggest you check out specific live videos of the band. Theres a different between simply listening, and seeing them.

Get the live performance they did for MTV at The Ritz in 1988 for great footage of the original line up playing a kick ass and unpredictable show. 

As for early 1990s GNR. One of my personal favorites would be the Chicago show done in 1992, with a guest appearance from Shannon Hoon, and a rare performance of the epic song "coma". This performance has so much energy in it and they do so many great songs. I LOVE IT. i used to have it all in high quality on my machine, Then it died and i lost it. So now i have to resort to youtubing it haha.

I cant advise you on GNR bootlegs circa 2001-2002. Im not a fan of Buckethead. But alot of the fans mention the pro shot Rock In Rio III as a good show featuring that line up.

As for the line up as you see it now. I havent a clue what to advise. I know there is an audio bootleg of the show i went to in Birmingham, UK. Which was a great show.  Any suggestions guys?

html sucks
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 11:45:58 AM »

god, the old band's stuff is sooooo overrated.  just go ahead and skip to the good stuff.  once you hear chinese democracy you'll wonder what you ever saw in afd. 

also, make sure to get 'oh my god,' the first single released by gnr after the old band was gone.  that songs as good as the stuff on chinese democracy (almost).

i have to agree, falun.

OP - if you're going to listen to the AFD or UYI songs, i'd recommend listening to the live versions by the current lineup. the old band doesn't do those songs justice. especially after you hear the current band play them.  i've been listening to chinese d daily since it's release, and for me, it gets better with every listen. i also find myself listening to downloads from the 06/07 tour pretty frequently. but anyway, my advice would be to not buy 'Lies' and buy 2 copies of CD instead. some of the ex-assholes still get royalties off you purchasing the Lies album. don't give them the luxury.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 11:46:47 AM »

I suggest that you should get Chinese democracy asap.

as it's huge that it will most likely take you time to digest it.  
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 11:48:42 AM »

He should listen to albums in order best possible to be fair and let them sink in.

I think it would be hard for someone to become a fan of the band simply from the new album alone. Going backwards doesnt make sense.

Take it from the start then move forwards.

^^^^^Who gives a fuck who gets the royalities. Its about this kid getting into some new music, not fucking politics.

html sucks
Annie
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »

I suggest that you should get Chinese democracy asap.

as it's huge that it will most likely take you time to digest it.  

I agree! GNR still rocks my world and it's been 16 years since I first fell in love with Axl while watching the NOVEMBER RAIN video.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »

I think it would be hard for someone to become a fan of the band simply from the new album alone.

it wasn't hard at all.
Plus in this case he already is a fan from afd and uyi.  lies can be added to his collection any time It's not so urgent as what is happening now. 
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »

god, the old band's stuff is sooooo overrated. 

Blasphemy.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »

Thats debatable. And id be pretty certain the majority would place CD second.  Although id place it third, but thats cause most of my teen years were spent listening to there old albums.

i have to respectfully disagree. chinese d is far and above any of the band's previous works. don't get me wrong. axl's vocals on AFD and UYI are top notch - brilliant really - but the instrumentation is just lacking, especially after hearing GNR perform those songs during the 06/07 shows. they're just played with so much more intensity and feeling than the ex-assholes
could have ever accomplished.

i would looooove to see the re-recorded AFD eventually surface. if it does, i don't ever see myself listening to the original one ever again.

But if you want the hard rock band nothing else GNR i doubt youll like this as its got alot more to it then that. Its an interesting album to say the least.

i agree this is a much more diverse & complex album compared to previous efforts, but i certainly wouldn't persuade a fellow fan not to get this album if he's mainly into rockers. this album has something for everyone, and by far, this album has the best rockers when compared to any of the previous releases. i still find myself listening to SR, Rhiad, Scraped on avaerage of 6-7 times per day. and i dont see that stopping anytime soon.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:47:35 PM by Feng Shui » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: