Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:18:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  I'm new to Guns N Roses...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm new to Guns N Roses...  (Read 16192 times)
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 12:46:31 PM »

god, the old band's stuff is sooooo overrated.  just go ahead and skip to the good stuff.  once you hear chinese democracy you'll wonder what you ever saw in afd. 

also, make sure to get 'oh my god,' the first single released by gnr after the old band was gone.  that songs as good as the stuff on chinese democracy (almost).

To your first comment: Are you fuckin kiddin?

To the second comment: I dont think Oh My God is anywhere near the quality of CD, yes thats right I love the Chinese Democracy album, but I still love the original band and always will...
Mike McKagan
Rocker

I'm a small town white boy...

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »

god, the old band's stuff is sooooo overrated.  just go ahead and skip to the good stuff.  once you hear chinese democracy you'll wonder what you ever saw in afd. 

also, make sure to get 'oh my god,' the first single released by gnr after the old band was gone.  that songs as good as the stuff on chinese democracy (almost).

i have to agree, falun.

OP - if you're going to listen to the AFD or UYI songs, i'd recommend listening to the live versions by the current lineup. the old band doesn't do those songs justice. especially after you hear the current band play them.  i've been listening to chinese d daily since it's release, and for me, it gets better with every listen. i also find myself listening to downloads from the 06/07 tour pretty frequently. but anyway, my advice would be to not buy 'Lies' and buy 2 copies of CD instead. some of the ex-assholes still get royalties off you purchasing the Lies album. don't give them the luxury.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Go chronological.

VR--Nashville, TN--10/16/04
GNR--Portland, OR--12/11/06
GNR--Rosemont, IL--11/15/11
GNR--Nashville, TN--07/09/16
GNR--Saint Louis, MO--09/09/23 (canceled)
SF--Terre Haute, IN--07/21/2024 (cancele
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 01:34:26 PM »

it is always funny to me how this threads end up ... I wouldn't be listening to anything else than Chinese Democracy at the moment. the guy (or girl) wasn't listening to old GNR albums when they were released. I was. now I listen to CD. even if AFD and UYI's have a special place in my heart, I rarely go back to them. and no I am not saying that they are bad albums. the problem with them is that conceptually, musically, lyrically, complexually (overproduced  hihi ) and in every other way CD is high above all of them. there is no real discussion about it.

I am not saying it should be someone's favourite album. or that old stuff is over rated. I am just telling that CD is now and now is when we live. and giving the proper credit where it should be credited. there are many living in past and I don't care, but closing the eyes on CD quality over any previous GN'R work is plain wrong.

-velimir
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:37:47 PM by Bitch » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »

Before November 23rd, I would've said "get the old albums".

Since you only own Appetite For Destruction, listening to Chinese Democracy now will give you a totally different experience from those other fans who have spent years listening to the old albums.

Maybe you'll listen to the music for what it is, instead of focusing on what it's not like some of the fans mentioned above.

And that's how it should be in my opinion.

Plus you'll get an idea of what people are currently talking about on these fan site.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 01:53:19 PM »

i have to agree, falun.

OP - if you're going to listen to the AFD or UYI songs, i'd recommend listening to the live versions by the current lineup. the old band doesn't do those songs justice. especially after you hear the current band play them.  i've been listening to chinese d daily since it's release, and for me, it gets better with every listen. i also find myself listening to downloads from the 06/07 tour pretty frequently. but anyway, my advice would be to not buy 'Lies' and buy 2 copies of CD instead. some of the ex-assholes still get royalties off you purchasing the Lies album. don't give them the luxury.

Yeah, only right way to listen to old stuff is listening it played by new band. Why listen classic songs in their original form, performed by the people who created them? Wheres the sense in that lol??
 While listening to Paradise City by new band, you might wanna buy a huge poster of Slash and urinate over it, and then roll on it back and forth while listening to Finck's beautiful guitar.
That's the local  way.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:04:03 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 02:09:32 PM »

Yeah, only right way to listen to old stuff is listening it played by new band. Why listen classic songs in their original form, performed by the people who created them? Wheres the sense in that lol??
 While doing it, you might wanna buy a huge poster of Slash and urinate over it, and then roll on it back and forth while listening to Finck's beautiful guitar.
That's the local  way.

well, excuse me for coming to a FANSITE to show my support for my favorite band. i had no idea doing so would offend some of you. yes. as witnessed throughout the 06/07 tour, it is my opinion that the current GNR play those songs better than those ex-assholes who still try sponging off the band name. i think finck's contributions to the album were absolutely amazing. and nothing about those contributions made me miss that lying asshole that you mentioned above.

axljungle
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »

Sorry Mattyjam, we will drive you crazy  hihi.

There are a lot of fans o Guns N Roses and every one has his own opinion, it will be very difficult for you to choose one of these answers. confused

I think that Chronological order is the best, and you could apreciate that one album it?s an evolution of the album before.

Please, when you decide what you do, tell us and tell what do you feel. It?s very rare see a new fan of Guns N Roses, and it's interesting to see what do you feel hearing the music.

Sorry again for my english, I hope that us help you

LeftToDecay
VIP

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 02:15:57 PM »

While doing it, you might wanna buy a huge poster of Slash and urinate over it, and then roll on it back and forth while listening to Finck's beautiful guitar.
That's the local  way.

well, excuse me for coming to a FANSITE to show my support for my favorite band. i had no idea doing so would offend some of you. yes. as witnessed throughout the 06/07 tour, it is my opinion that the current GNR play those songs better than those ex-assholes who still try sponging off the band name. i think finck's contributions to the album were absolutely amazing. and nothing about those contributions made me miss that lying asshole that you mentioned above.

You are Falungong from another IP right?Tongue

You forget that the OP is a brand new, shiny fresh  untainted fan. He prolly doesn't have a neurotic morbid anti-/pro Axl/Slash/Etc fixation as his burden like some here.-  So it's well possible that he can..you know, just obtain music and listen to this music and let the music help him decide if it's good or not.
He's in amazing  position where creations and performnances by Slash do not suck " cuz he lied about goign to axls house wtf???" and where Axl's new band doesn't automatically suck "cuz axl forced slash to leave and then  made me wait new music for 25 years wtf??
 - -
to OP,

IMHO getting to know  the studio albums in  chronological order and just letting music do it's goddamned job is best thing a new fan can do Smiley Don't rush it though! It's easy to downloadBUY them all as a one huge bulk and listen to stuff here and there and jump back and forth.. but it's far better to take your time and let each album sink in.

Live album and specially The spaghetti Incident and such can easily be skipped. Until you are determined GNR is your thing and have a lust for more.

....I think it's surprisingly difficult position to be, where you are at Tongue
There is much to envy in there ofc, to have entire catalogue of GNR to cherish and explore in 2009 AD must be neat!
But it's also something that seems to be tricky to do in a way that leaves you satisfied in the end.
 I remember going through same thing with Bowie and it was very hard to reach a   " i am doing this the right way!" - feeling.

Each his own and all that but if you downloaded bought AFD just a week back, and now torrented purcharsed UYI I and II, you are moving too faast!
Very case sensitive ofc. It is a process that takes ages for me, most are faster surely.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:55:05 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

Annie
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 02:23:58 PM »

god, the old band's stuff is sooooo overrated. 

Blasphemy.
I agree. rant
LeftToDecay
VIP

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »

Ahh don't let falungong trick you guys!  I 'd bet a month's pay he is a satire of a fanatic GNR fan rather than a fanatic GNR fan Tongue

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2009, 02:30:53 PM »

Just save up and buy 'em all Wink

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 03:22:04 PM »

sure, than email this guy and ask him where he bought the stuff he is smoking.

Now seriously, just buy them and enjoy them all. But PLEASE dont get involved in all the old band vs new band BS.  They are all good in there own way, and Axl's voice holds them all together
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:30:49 PM by freddiebrph » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2009, 03:30:03 PM »

Seems to me it would make most sense to listen to the most current album.
MattyJam
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »

I have to admit I'm more excited about the prospect of hearing CD than I am the other albums, but I think that's why I want to leave it a while... the rest of you had to wait 17 years for it, so I'm sure it won't hurt if I wait a month or two to familiarise myself with the rest of their catalogue first.

I've grown to love UYI and AFD so much and will give them some time to sink in. It's not everyday I find a band that I love this much, so I don't want to whore the experience by buying and listening to all the albums straight away.

I think once I've had a bit longer to get into UYI (I'm listening to it several times a day at the moment and I want to enjoy that while it lasts) then I'll probably buy Lies, and then Chinease Democracy.

I wanted to do it in chronological order, but The Spaghetti Incident? appeals to me the least of them all, so I'll save that till last I think....
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »

Welcome!!!

You picked a great band, but one that will drive you crazy sometimes. (As will much of its fanbase!) I think you did the right thing in terms of how you started. I'd go with ChiDem next. I really enjoy Lies and TSI?, but to me those are side dishes to the main course.

Having listened to AFD and UYI I & II, you heard the evolution of the band's sound. ChiDem, to me anyway, is the next step in that evolution. Hearing those 3 (or 4...) for the first time in such a small time will allow you to hear those steps objectively, and I think maybe maybe you'll enjoy ChiDem a lot more than people who have identified with the old lineup, as well as those who have waited for so long. To someone new, it's not a monumental occurrence, but simply the next album from a band you enjoy.

Long story short, go with ChiDem, then go back for Lies, TSI?, and Live Era.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »

Seems to me it would make most sense to listen to the most current album.

that's all i'm saying too. but apparently, that thought seems to be taboo here to some 'fans'. i can't begin to describe the sense of joy this album has brought me. it truly is an emotional rollercoaster ride from start to finish. at times, you'll feel really pumped. at  times, you'll find yourself crying - almost uncontrolably - at the heartfelt despair & anguish that is felt in listening to some of these songs. i can't recall an album that has ever been as lyrically deep and powerful. i will forever be  grateful to axl for getting these songs to us. in time, i have no doubt this will be remembered as one of the greats - delivered to us by a man that has lasted the test of time. thank you, axl.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:24:40 PM by Feng Shui » Logged
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 04:20:49 PM »

long story short, go with chinese d. buy several copies and give them to your friends and loved ones. believe me, they will thank you for it.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »

cd. Don't miss the bus in the sight of you.
y2marmar
Headliner

I love the chosen one...

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »

Welcome!!!

You picked a great band, but one that will drive you crazy sometimes. (As will much of its fanbase!) I think you did the right thing in terms of how you started. I'd go with ChiDem next. I really enjoy Lies and TSI?, but to me those are side dishes to the main course.

Having listened to AFD and UYI I & II, you heard the evolution of the band's sound. ChiDem, to me anyway, is the next step in that evolution. Hearing those 3 (or 4...) for the first time in such a small time will allow you to hear those steps objectively, and I think maybe maybe you'll enjoy ChiDem a lot more than people who have identified with the old lineup, as well as those who have waited for so long. To someone new, it's not a monumental occurrence, but simply the next album from a band you enjoy.

I completely agree with this. Definitely listen to CD first. When I first got into GnR about 5/6 years ago, there was no new material. Only the old stuff, which rocks, don't get me wrong. But it definitely influences how you listen to CD. You tend to judge it based on the old band. I would definiitely agree with going for CD first

Jean Claude Jaquatee...because you know who you are...when you're you
Blondie23
Opening Act

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »

Congratulations on discovering one of the best bands in the world!! ( u took ur time Wink )
My advice: buy them all, listen to them all, and enjoy them all  ok
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: