Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 05:36:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash On The Film Score Of "The Wrestler" Movie
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash On The Film Score Of "The Wrestler" Movie  (Read 7199 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: January 08, 2009, 02:04:13 PM »

Clint Mansell Talks About Using GN'R's Slash For "The Wrestler" Score

For a long time it was rumored that former Guns N' Roses/current Velvet Revolver guitarist Slash had done something for "The Wrestler," but what exactly since longtime Darren Aronofsky composer Clint Mansell wrote the score?

The L.A. Times' Pop & Hiss caught up with Mansell, and the answer kind of figures. Much like "The Fountain" score which Mansell wrote but Mogwai and the Kronos Quartet played, and for "The Wrestler" the moody guitar music was written by Mansell, but performed by Slash.

"We just thought it would be interesting, given that the character's favorite music is rock -- metal -- music," Mansell said. "We wanted that sensibility and wanted to bridge the gap between score and source. Slash is one of the world's great guitar players, and he was up for trying something different than what he's known for, but he could also bring his sensibility to what I was trying to do."

Coincidentally, a lot of the music that influenced Mansell's minimalist and mantra-like guitar score to the film was the stark early music of Bruce Springsteen, who of course wrote the title track.

"I had talked to Darren [Aronofsky] about Springsteen's Nebraska album. It's an emotional record, but it's quite restrained -- it keeps the emotion at a distance. I thought that this was the character that Randy Robinson was. That led me towards the guitar" (The fact that the film is set in New Jersey didn't hurt either).

Will There Be A 'Wrestler' Soundtrack CD?
We've been asking for weeks if a rock-centric soundtrack to "The Wrestler" is being released, but so far we haven't heard anything concrete. As previously mentioned in our original review, the film does feature Guns N' Roses, "Sweet Child O' Mine" (a track that Mickey Rourke personally procured from Axl Rose), Quiet Riot's "Bang Your Head") and Ratt's "Round and Round," and a boatload of '80s metal and rock classics, but it was impossible to mark them all down in the credits (and some were covers from new bands, but a lot of the music was written into the original script and we marked down all the songs). The L.A. rock band Rhinobucket does have a song in the film as well, but the title of the track is unknown right now. We'd love a soundtrack disc to come out, but we're betting clearing a lot of well-known '80s rock and metal classics isn't an easy thing to do, especially for a small, low-budgeted film like this one.

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2008/12/clint-mansell-talks-about-using-gnrs.html

Video of Slash commenting on the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yfol0jndcc

You can hear the music on Clint Mansell's MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/mansellclint

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »

There's a small Slash era GNR reference in the official theatrical trailer, around 1:30 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-GFxjTyV0
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:56:14 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Mr Rage
Rocker

My Friends Call Me ACE!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »

"Cobain runied everything, 90's sucked" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A World Without BASS is.....CHAOS
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »

Axl Rose, Bruce Springsteen lend Mickey Rourke music for ?The Wrestler?

Despite his ?years in the wilderness,? Mickey Rourke is a pretty well-connected guy.

Throughout our conversation he is profane, very funny and casually drops in a ?Francis Coppola? anecdote here, a ?Sean Penn? story there.

In fact, in the course of our 15 minutes together,  he also manages to throw in references to  Dennis Hopper, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, ?Chris? Walken and Harvey Keitel (the last four being his fellow alumnus from legendary NYC acting school, Actors Studio).

His friends are not restricted to the movie world either. During the making of his latest movie, ?The Wrestler,? the former boxer pulled in a favour from old buddy Axl Rose of seminal 80s rockers  ?Guns N Roses,?  who lent him one of the band?s  songs ?Sweet Child O? Mine?  for the soundtrack of the film.

?Axl Rose is a good friend of mine and actually, when I used to box, I used to come out to ?Sweet Child O? Mine,? but on our $5.5 million budget we couldn?t afford that music so he gave it to me,? said Rourke, ?So that was something really special.?

Rourke was probably pretty glad to be able to help out. Director Darren Aronofsky insisted on having Rourke in the lead in place of the bankable Nicolas Cage.  Rourke?s previous bad boy antics on set meant he was almost unemployable in Hollywood for 15 years and Aronofsky?s choice caused the film?s budget to be slashed by more than $10 million.

But Rourke?s help on the music front didn?t stop at ?Sweet Child O? Mine? ? he asked another rock legend, Bruce Springsteen, to write a song for the movie.

?I wrote Bruce Springsteen a letter,? Rourke said, ?A very personal letter about my character and about me and about how the character and me maybe had some things in common and would you think about writing us a song.

?And he wrote us a very f**kin? beautiful f**kin? song.?

As ?The Wrestler? is tipped for success in the approaching awards season, it looks like the former bad boy is finally coming in from the cold.

http://screeningroom.blogs.cnn.com/2009/01/06/axl-rose-bruce-springsteen-lend-mickey-rourke-music-for-the-wrestler/?iref=intlOnlyonCNN

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: