Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:31:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 293954 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1280 on: November 25, 2009, 09:48:14 AM »

The Cabrera vote was puzzling at best, I actually thought both Jeter and Tex would each have a at least a few first place votes a piece.

As for the NL..

Nice to see Albert go unanimous and all the "His place in history" talk..

The only thing that will limit his achievements is Pujols, himself.  By that, I mean how his body holds up and what type of longevity he's able to achieve.  Hopefully, he's able to keep healthy and productive.

Agreed.

He's been durable so far, only 1 (maybe 2) trips to the DL while playing through (and staying productive) a multitude of injuries.  

Another factor will be the lineup the Cards field from this point forward.  They're going to have to continue to have guys around him or he'll get the "Torre" treatment as he did in this years NLDS.

It was cool watching/listening to all the coverage/analysis/comparisons yesterday.  Matt Holliday speculating Pujols maybe the best player in history, Dan Plesac saying "He doesn't breathe the same air as the rest of us" - tons of that stuff from all over the baseball world.

I hope people realize what we're seeing with Albert, he's something else..

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:42:03 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1281 on: November 25, 2009, 10:31:11 AM »

he's not only the best player in baseball currently, but he's officially entered the discussion of being among the greatest of all time. and the fact that he appears to be a total class act is an added bonus as well.

Without question on all the above..

The thing that jumped out at me yesterday the most was that out of his 9 years in the big leagues he's finished in the top 5 in MVP voting 8 times while accumulating the 4th most MVP votes in history..

On a Yankee note, saw a story on the MLB network last night about the premier documenting the Yankees run to the 2009 World Series, very cool.

Joe Girardi was interviewed on the red carpet - his usual classy, sincere tone and demeanor.
He just never fails to impress me.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #1282 on: November 26, 2009, 11:08:55 PM »

Joe Girardi was interviewed on the red carpet - his usual classy, sincere tone and demeanor.
He just never fails to impress me.

Girardi's a good dude.  I remember when Darryl Kile died, Girardi came out to the mic in Wrigley to tell them that the game was postponed because of a "tragedy in the Cardinal family", and he was all choked up about it.  I just remember thinking that he was the right guy to send out, as both a veteran player and all around classy individual.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1283 on: November 27, 2009, 01:39:10 AM »

Girardi's a good dude.  I remember when Darryl Kile died, Girardi came out to the mic in Wrigley to tell them that the game was postponed because of a "tragedy in the Cardinal family", and he was all choked up about it.  I just remember thinking that he was the right guy to send out, as both a veteran player and all around classy individual.

Being a lifelong Cards fan, I remember that moment like it was yesterday.  The way Joe handled that was beyond professional.

The Yanks run to the Series and his representation of both a storied organization and game in general just amplified my respect for him.

Dude just does things the right way.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1284 on: November 27, 2009, 03:20:09 AM »

I hope people realize what we're seeing with Albert, he's something else..

I sawed hit him one of them homers in person.

That was cool!
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #1285 on: December 05, 2009, 12:13:32 PM »

RED SOX, SCUTARO AGREE TO DEAL THAT GUARANTEES $13 MILLION

BOSTON -- Marco Scutaro slipped on his new Red Sox jersey to pose for the cameras, then asked whether he should leave it on for the rest of the news conference.

"Sure. Go for it," Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein confirmed.

You'll excuse Scutaro if he's tentative about slipping into a position that's seen little stability since 2004. Boston has churned through seven regular shortstops since trading away Nomar Garciaparra, but Epstein thinks he has one that can solidify the position for at leas the next two years.

"We identified Marco as the best free agent and the guy that would be the best fit for the ball club," Epstein said. "We're getting a really good player who's finally getting his chance."

Scutaro and the Red Sox agreed to a contract that guarantees him US$12.5 million over two seasons and $14 million over three.

He will get a $1 million signing bonus and $5 million salaries in 2010 and 2011. The club holds a $6 million option for 2012, and if it declines Scutaro could exercise a $3 million option or take a $1.5 million buyout.

If Scutaro is traded before the option is exercised, the option base would increase to $3.5 million.

Scutaro said he took a little less to join the Red Sox, a big-market club with a chance to contend. He said another team offered more; he did not identify it.

"Since Day 1, this was my first choice," Scutaro said. "We have a chance to win a championship. ... You get to a point where you want to live the experience. You want to be in the World Series. I think this is the perfect team."

The 34-year-old was a utility player with the New York Mets and Oakland Athletics before earning the starting job in Toronto in 2008 and then posting a career year in '09 with a .282 average, 12 homers and 60 RBIs. He missed the last two weeks of last season with a torn plantar fascia in his right heel.

Epstein sent assistant Allard Baird to Miami to work Scutaro out and make sure he wasn't suffering any lingering effects of the injury. Scutaro said he's been doing a lot of baseball activity and "it's feeling great."

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1286 on: December 06, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »

Yet another SS for the Sox as the merry go round continues.  Scutaro's a decent player but nothing spectacular.  I surely hope he wasn't the KEY to their off-season.  If so, we're in trouble.  They still need to either re-sign Bay, sign Holliday, or get someone who can hit to play LF.  Decide what they're gonna do with Lowell, and possibly trade for someone who can hit in the middle of the lineup (A. Gonzalez, M. Cabrera, etc.).  IF they make a deal for a known commodity they'd most likely have to trade Clay Buccholz, so they'd have to look to replace him in the rotation (Lackey?).  In other words, there's still a lot of work to be done.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1287 on: December 06, 2009, 01:42:04 PM »

For those interested, here's an extremely insightful article on one of baseballs most reviled figures - Scott Boras.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/DE6D456D8B2CC94586257683001CC83B?OpenDocument

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:21:46 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1288 on: December 07, 2009, 03:03:06 PM »

Whitey Herzog to the Hall, it's about damn time.  ok

Doug Harvey as well, congrats to both.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/65E4FC421903E0BC8625768500438DEB?OpenDocument

Brad Penny's a Card pending a physical, so long Joel Piniero... hihi
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:04:07 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1289 on: December 07, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »

Joel > Brad

Enjoy watching fatso ruin your team.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1290 on: December 07, 2009, 10:34:07 PM »

Joel > Brad

Not familiar with Penny being any sort of malcontent, what's the (LA) story?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1291 on: December 07, 2009, 10:44:58 PM »

Joel > Brad

Clubhouse cancer, and since his ASG start, his stuff has been off.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1292 on: December 07, 2009, 10:58:07 PM »

Joel > Brad

Yeah Penny was decent for the Red Sox to start last year then he just did a complete 180 and was downright awful before they released him.  I think he started off well with the Giants and fell flat as well.  He still has plenty of velocity but he must throw the straightest fastball in the majors because he can't put hitters away, despite pitching in the mid 90's.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1293 on: December 07, 2009, 11:02:28 PM »

Joel > Brad

Yeah Penny was decent for the Red Sox to start last year then he just did a complete 180 and was downright awful before they released him.  I think he started off well with the Giants and fell flat as well.  He still has plenty of velocity but he must throw the straightest fastball in the majors because he can't put hitters away, despite pitching in the mid 90's.

But you must give him credit for being hung like a racehorse. 
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1294 on: December 07, 2009, 11:19:22 PM »

Joel > Brad

But you must give him credit for being hung like a racehorse. 
He must be, to score a girl like Eliza Dushku.  Didn't he date Alyssa Milano too, although what baseball player hasn't?

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1295 on: December 08, 2009, 12:07:10 AM »

As far as I know, he's never had any "trouble" so to speak outside of LA.  If that was of any concern, there's no way LaRussa would've green lighted the deal.  Beyond that, guys like Albert, Carpenter and Wainwright have a way of preventing any clubhouse goofiness, just ask Jason Marquis.... yes  It's the Cardinal way or the proverbial highway, no worries here..

He also fits the "Dave Duncan" profile to a "T", vet pitcher with live arm that needs a lil tinkering. If Penny buys in, smart money says a role of the dice on a 1 year deal for him is a much better move than going 3 years at 10+ mil per for Pineiro. 

And what resume' wouldn't like to have "Dushku" on it???

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1296 on: December 08, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »

I will agree, if Duncan can revive Piniero's career it is certainly possible with Penny.  Joel was pretty bad prior to last year.  The Red Sox tried with both guys and neither worked out.  St. Louis will try to go 2 for 2.  Penny IS healthy and DOES have a live arm, so the makings are there.  The performance hasn't been, for one reason or another.  And he could stand to lose a few pounds.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1297 on: December 08, 2009, 10:58:18 AM »

Looks like Chone Figgins is going to be a Mariner.....
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvhSvDnG_L12fZPIh9VC3oMRvLYF?slug=ap-mariners-figgins&prov=ap&type=lgns

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1298 on: December 08, 2009, 11:05:54 AM »

Mariners are also making a push for Jason Bay, who lives in the area.  Not sure how much they're willing to offer after signing Figgins and they'd also like to retain Adrian Beltre.  I'm guessing they're hoping Bay would take a "hometown discount".  The Angels and Red Sox are the other suitors.  I hope the Sox can keep him.  They'd have a big hole to fill if he leaves.  Holliday would probably become the focus but he'll probably cost a bit more than Bay, and Jason has proven he can hit in Boston, Holliday didn't have as much luck in the AL with Oakland.  I realize he'd probably do better in a hitters ballpark and in a better lineup in Boston, but you just never know.  If they lose out on both they'd have to find someone to platoon with Jeremy Hermida, possibly former Marlin teammate Josh Willingham.  Obviously not as attractive an option.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1299 on: December 08, 2009, 01:15:35 PM »

I think Bay will eventually wind up back in Boston, it just makes sense - a good fit for both sides.

As for Penny, he finished strong with SF Penny going 4-1 with a 2.59 ERA in six starts.  We'll see if that carries over this spring with Cards...

Any word on potential Yank moves pilf???

Love the Phils signing of Polanco, best move so far this off season IMO...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: