Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:20:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 293891 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1260 on: November 15, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »

.. and FUN (2 laps on the warning track). 

Laps on the warning track at Yankee Stadium huh?

Pretty fuckin' cool pilf. yes

Have fun!

It was a fun day.  Course was super challenging....not the flat stuff, but the STAIRS!  298 stairs on the course..BRUTAL.  The rest wasn't too bad.

But the run on the warning track was the obvious highlight.  2 laps on the track, and some "jumbotron" time for every runner.  DEFINITELY going to do it next year...but I think next year we might walk it, so we can bring all 3 kids.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #1261 on: November 16, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »

DEFINITELY going to do it next year...but I think next year we might walk it, so we can bring all 3 kids.

Walk extra slow @ the stadium hihi
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1262 on: November 16, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »

DEFINITELY going to do it next year...but I think next year we might walk it, so we can bring all 3 kids.

The WHOLE thing actually takes place inside the stadium.  Here's a rundown of how it works:

You start off just off the "great hall", right around the 3rd base line in terms of orientation, entering the 100 level concourse.  You do 2 laps, clockwise (plus a bit to get you over to the food court area..call it 2.25 laps).  Then you run behind the food court area, and down into the "sub basement" on the left field side (basically, the tunnels underneath) around to the mainenance entrance between the visitors bullpen and monument park.  You run out on the warning track and do 2 laps around, counterclockwise (everyone gets some "JUMBO TRON" time!!).  THAT was neat and we got some pictures (and slowed down our times) out there.  That's one mile.

After your 2 laps, you run back into the maintenance entrance and head right (opposite the way you came in) to the first real challenge: 103 steps, up to the 200 level.   You then run a "horseshoe" lap of the 200 level (right field side to left field side), up another 60 stairs, and run a horseshoe lap of the 300 level (left field side to right field side).  That's 2 miles.

You then run DOWN the "exit ramps" to the great hall, keeping to the right side at the bottom.  You run up the central stairs (56 steps) to the 200 level and basically repeat the above (1 horseshoe of the 200, 1 horeshoe of the 300, down the exit ramps).  This time, at the bottom of the ramps, you keep left, and hit the finish line.  3.1 miles (or 5k, whichever you prefer).

You basically get to see the entire stadium (with the exception of the suites, of course) from bottom to top.  They also let friends and family up to the Delta 360 suite (right behind home plate, over the 100 level) to watch.

Together again,
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #1263 on: November 16, 2009, 11:49:25 AM »

^^ Wow thats pretty wild!!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1264 on: November 16, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »

The WHOLE thing actually takes place inside the stadium.  Here's a rundown of how it works:

You start off just off the "great hall", right around the 3rd base line in terms of orientation, entering the 100 level concourse.  You do 2 laps, clockwise (plus a bit to get you over to the food court area..call it 2.25 laps).  Then you run behind the food court area, and down into the "sub basement" on the left field side (basically, the tunnels underneath) around to the mainenance entrance between the visitors bullpen and monument park.  You run out on the warning track and do 2 laps around, counterclockwise (everyone gets some "JUMBO TRON" time!!).  THAT was neat and we got some pictures (and slowed down our times) out there.  That's one mile.

After your 2 laps, you run back into the maintenance entrance and head right (opposite the way you came in) to the first real challenge: 103 steps, up to the 200 level.   You then run a "horseshoe" lap of the 200 level (right field side to left field side), up another 60 stairs, and run a horseshoe lap of the 300 level (left field side to right field side).  That's 2 miles.

You then run DOWN the "exit ramps" to the great hall, keeping to the right side at the bottom.  You run up the central stairs (56 steps) to the 200 level and basically repeat the above (1 horseshoe of the 200, 1 horeshoe of the 300, down the exit ramps).  This time, at the bottom of the ramps, you keep left, and hit the finish line.  3.1 miles (or 5k, whichever you prefer).

You basically get to see the entire stadium (with the exception of the suites, of course) from bottom to top.  They also let friends and family up to the Delta 360 suite (right behind home plate, over the 100 level) to watch.

That's pretty awesome and a wonderful way to honor your dad.  Smiley
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1265 on: November 17, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »

Awesome experience and recap pilf, congratulations. ok

Onto the AL Cy Young..

Greinke wins the award overwhelmingly:

Player, team                              1st-place votes    Total
Zack Greinke, Royals                          25                134
Felix Hernandez, Mariners                    2                  80
Justin Verlander, Tigers                        1                  14

Others receiving votes: CC Sabathia, Yankees, 13, Roy Halladay, Blue Jays, 11.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1266 on: November 17, 2009, 07:53:03 PM »

I think the right guy won this award. I'm interested in AL manager and MVP. I think Girardi and Teixeira have a good chance at those awards.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1267 on: November 18, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »

I think AL Manager comes down to Sciosa and Girardi with the MVP probably going to Joe Mauer..

The most intriguing award looks to be come down tomorrow with the NL Cy Young. 

Personal vote would be Adam Wainwright although I think Tim Lincecum will more than likely win it with Wainwright splitting votes with fellow Card Chris Carpenter..

EDIT: Almost forgot...NL Manager's gotta be Jim Tracy...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:05:15 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1268 on: November 18, 2009, 09:25:02 PM »

Who do you guys think Doc Halladay is gonna be delt to? They almost have to deal him because he will walk after this year. Ive heard a lot of talk about the mets going after him on sports talk radio in New York. They could sure use him

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1269 on: November 18, 2009, 10:00:26 PM »

Usual suspects for Halladay - Yanks and Red Sox with the Phillies having an outside shot.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1270 on: November 19, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »

Lincecum wins Cy Young Award over Carpenter, Wainwright

By Derrick Goold
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/19/2009

San Francisco Giants starter Tim Lincecum won the 2009 Cy Young Award, the Baseball Writers' Association of America announced this afternoon, giving the righthander his second consecutive award as he edged St. Louis Cardinals starters Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright.

Lincecum is the first pitcher to repeat as a Cy Young winner since Randy Johnson won four consecutive in the National League from 1999-2002.

The Giants ace led the NL in strikeouts with 261 in 225 innings pitched. He also finished second to Carpenter in ERA with a 2.48. Lincecum went 15-7 this past season, including a 10-2 record in the first half of the season.

In his career, the 25-year-old Lincecum is 40-17 with a 2.90 ERA. He's widely considered -- even by peers -- as having some of the best stuff in the game.

The vote was expected to be a close one between the three favorites, all of whom got into the act of endorsing a winner.

Toward the end of the season, Lincecum said Carpenter deserved to win the award. Carpenter said Wainwright deserved the award, and Wainwright returned serve by advocating Carpenter as the winner.

The Cy Young is determined by a vote of 32 members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America, with two representatives from each NL city submitting ballots.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1271 on: November 19, 2009, 10:29:39 PM »

No objections here.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1272 on: November 20, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »

No loud objections from me, either.

The WAY it went down is odd, though.  Carpenter being left off 2 ballots, completely, seems nuts.  I heard the guy from ESPN's explanation (he's one of the guys who left Carpenter off the ballot) and is excuse was "Well, Javier Vasquez was the 2nd best pitcher in the NL this year, and I've only got 3 slots".  REALLY?  Vasquez???!!!  I just don't see that one.

Together again,
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1273 on: November 20, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »

ESPN

There's your answer.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1274 on: November 20, 2009, 07:51:38 PM »

No loud objections from me, either.

The WAY it went down is odd, though.  Carpenter being left off 2 ballots, completely, seems nuts.  I heard the guy from ESPN's explanation (he's one of the guys who left Carpenter off the ballot) and is excuse was "Well, Javier Vasquez was the 2nd best pitcher in the NL this year, and I've only got 3 slots".  REALLY?  Vasquez???!!!  I just don't see that one.

Carp being left off 2 ballots is as pilf said "nuts".

Beyond that..

Any of the 3 would have been a fine choice, no problem with Lincecum here..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1275 on: November 23, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »

Mauer near unanimous for the AL MVP followed by a couple of Yanks, from ESPN:

Joe Mauer received 27 of 28 first-place votes to win his first AL MVP award. The only other player to get a first-place vote was the Tigers' Miguel Cabrera, who finished fourth. A breakdown of the voting:

Player, team Total
Joe Mauer, Twins 387
Mark Teixeira, Yankees 225
Derek Jeter, Yankees 193

Albert should gather his 3rd tomorrow in the NL, anything less than unanimous would be just goofy..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1276 on: November 24, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »

Mauer near unanimous for the AL MVP followed by a couple of Yanks, from ESPN:

Joe Mauer received 27 of 28 first-place votes to win his first AL MVP award. The only other player to get a first-place vote was the Tigers' Miguel Cabrera, who finished fourth. A breakdown of the voting:

Player, team Total
Joe Mauer, Twins 387
Mark Teixeira, Yankees 225
Derek Jeter, Yankees 193

Albert should gather his 3rd tomorrow in the NL, anything less than unanimous would be just goofy..

What gets me is who got the other first place vote.  Some writer from a Japanese newspaper gave his first place vote to Cabrera.  WTF?  I just can't see the logic on that one..just like I can't see the logic on leaving Carp off the NL CY voting for Javier Vasquez.

If it had been a  "token vote" for Tex or Jeter...I could have at least seen the reasoning behind it, I guess.  But Cabrera?  No freaking way. He wasn't nearly as good as the other 3 guys, for his team, this year. 4th?  Maybe..but 1st?  Weird.

And I would have agreed on Pujols right up until I saw the voting outcome for the AL MVP.  Again, I can see Mauer not being unanimous (though, ultimately, as much as I was pulling for Tex or Jete's...I thought they were long shots), but who the one vote of dissent was for is wacky.  So it wouldn't surprise me to see a likewise wacky vote in the NL voting.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:46:12 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1277 on: November 24, 2009, 07:45:50 PM »

The Cabrera vote was puzzling at best, I actually thought both Jeter and Tex would each have a at least a few first place votes a piece.

As for the NL..

Nice to see Albert go unanimous and all the "His place in history" talk..
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:40:28 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1278 on: November 25, 2009, 07:49:38 AM »

The Cabrera vote was puzzling at best, I actually thought both Jeter and Tex would each have a at least a few first place votes a piece.

As for the NL..

The only thing that will limit his achievements is Pujols, himself.  By that, I mean how his body holds up and what type of longevity he's able to achieve.  Hopefully, he's able to keep healthy and productive.

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #1279 on: November 25, 2009, 09:46:02 AM »

As for the NL..

he's not only the best player in baseball currently, but he's officially entered the discussion of being among the greatest of all time. and the fact that he appears to be a total class act is an added bonus as well.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: