Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 12:22:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 293828 times)
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #1200 on: November 05, 2009, 08:43:43 PM »

The only reason I can think of for not talking to Manuel is... well... have you heard the guy talk?  He's not quite to Grady Little level, but he is exactly whatever the opposite of eloquent is.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1201 on: November 05, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »

The only reason I can think of for not talking to Manuel is... well... have you heard the guy talk?  He's not quite to Grady Little level, but he is exactly whatever the opposite of eloquent is.

Yeah i have heard him talk. He's not the greatest in the world but he could be a lot worse.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1202 on: November 05, 2009, 08:46:34 PM »

I give credit where it is due. A Rod redeemed himself but to say he wasn't a choker before this is being untruthful and an apologist.

he answered the critics and did what he SHOULD do. So he doesn't get tons of credit for doing what he gets 28 million a year to do.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #1203 on: November 05, 2009, 09:40:23 PM »

He did what he "should do" before, hitting .300 and OPS'ing over .800 in over half of his previous playoff series.  He went above and beyond in the ALDS and ALCS this year before falling silent in the WS.

A-Rod got the team to the WS.  It was the rest of the Yankees that won it.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1204 on: November 05, 2009, 09:45:13 PM »

Credit to M. Brown

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1205 on: November 05, 2009, 10:10:08 PM »

He did what he "should do" before, hitting .300 and OPS'ing over .800 in over half of his previous playoff series.  He went above and beyond in the ALDS and ALCS this year before falling silent in the WS.

A-Rod got the team to the WS.  It was the rest of the Yankees that won it.

You can't say that entirely. For the most part it is true but he had some big hits in the WS. He had that big homer in game 3. I think that may have been a series changing hit.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:14:47 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1206 on: November 05, 2009, 10:30:18 PM »

Still am disgusted how McGwire and Bonds are disgraced from the game but Pettite and A Roid are celebrated.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1207 on: November 05, 2009, 10:36:23 PM »

Still am disgusted how McGwire and Bonds are disgraced from the game but Pettite and A Roid are celebrated.

They (along with Raja Clemenz) should have come clean about their steroid use.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1208 on: November 05, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »

There's a difference though. They both came clean, yes, it took there names being on the Mitchell report or being leaked but they admitted their wrong doing. Bonds and Clemens to this day deny it even though there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #1209 on: November 06, 2009, 09:35:47 AM »

i'm sad this season is over. baseball is alot of fun when you have a team in the mix. i love this phils team. they should be in the hunt in the upcoming seasons. looking forward to it.

as i said before the WS began, Hamels and Lidge were the problems. they were basically worthless. hamels even got spotted a 3-run lead at home - you can't ask for a much better situation. they are 2 of the most important players on this team. they were near perfect last year, which is why we won. in fact, it's AMAZING the phils got as far as they did in both the regular season and playoffs with no true #2 starter, no closer, and an awful bench. it speaks volumes about how great this lineup actually is.

as for the spending issue, it's true, the yankees bought this title. it's as black and white as it gets. but that doesn't mean it counts any less. that's the system MLB chooses to live by. you almost have to be a full-blown Republican to cheer for the yankees - they are as Republican as it gets.

and i include the phils in that. since they got a new stadium and have had success, they are spending more and more. it's satisfying to know that we won a title with our core nucleus that came up through our system (Hamels, Myers, Howard, Utley, Rollins). that is how you build truly great teams (much like the yankees 10 years ago). but now we have turned into one of those big spenders.

Gammons was reporting rumors of the phils trading for Halladay, giving up either Hamels OR a couple of those top prospects they managed to hold on to this summer (drabeck and others). they also are rumored to be in the mix for some of the top 3B free agents - Figgins and Beltre.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #1210 on: November 06, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »

A-Rod's effort at coming clean over steroids was exposed as a lie as well-- remember how he said he only used as a member of the Rangers, then it was exposed that he did it as a Yankee and while in high school?  Admitting to 10% of something isn't exactly coming clean.

I also have my questions as to how truthful Pettitte is about his use, and really about any player's use, whether admitted, exposed, or even just suspected.  Steroids in baseball are, in my mind at least, a guilty until proven innocent proposition.  The use was far too widespread for anyone to say anyone is 100% clean.  But still, McGwire, Clemens, Sosa, Bonds, and Palmeiro are the worst in the whole group.  Bonds would have been a hall of famer without them, the rest all are questionable at best.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1211 on: November 06, 2009, 10:30:47 AM »

My office is 2 blocks from the parade route, it's about to get started.  I'm sitting here thinking whether it's too immature to go out and drop a stink bomb.  Just kidding, congrats to the Yankees and their fans.  As many of you have already noted, they clearly were the best team this year and are the rightful champs.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #1212 on: November 06, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »

everyone have fun at the parade! great day for one too - beautiful Fall Friday.

to everyone that asked about my Pearl Jam concert incident:

1. thanks for the well wishes! i'm feeling much better everyday. limited dizziness and headaches. minor back and neck pain.
2. cops got him on simple assault with no arrest. had there been anyone injured "seriously" they would have gotten hin on "assualt" and arrested him.
3. we were both carried out of the stadium on stretchers and rushed to the hospital in seperate ambulances. he could barely talk and had high amounts of alcohol and drugs in his system. i was not drinking cause i was the designated driver for my buddies who are far bigger PJ fans than myself.    
4. i talked to lawyers about suing and they said it's probably a waste of time. my $ loss is about $200 (ticket, parking, clothes that were cut off in the ER). and it's tough to go after individuals for pain and suffering. and if you do win, they typically file bancruptcy. i'm gonna get one more opinion though just to make sure. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:20:44 PM by sandman » Logged

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #1213 on: November 06, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »

1. thanks for the well wishes! i'm feeling much better everyday. limited dizziness and headaches. minor back and neck pain.
2. cops got him on simple assault with no arrest. had there been anyone injured "seriously" they would have gotten hin on "assualt" and arrested him.
3. we were both carried out of the stadium on stretchers and rushed to the hospital in seperate ambulances. he could barely talk and had high amounts of alcohol and drugs in his system. i was not drinking cause i was the designated driver for my buddies who are far bigger PJ fans than myself.    
4. i talked to lawyers about suing and they said it's probably a waste of time. my $ loss is about $200 (ticket, parking, clothes that were cut off in the ER). and it's tough to go after individuals for pain and suffering. and if you do win, they typically file bancruptcy. i'm gonna get one more opinion though just to make sure. 

Glad you're ok!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1214 on: November 06, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »

Wait, what happened?  I checked in the Pearl Jam thread and earlier in this thread.

Glad you are OK.  May the person that beat you up have a long and impotent life.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #1215 on: November 06, 2009, 04:05:38 PM »

Wait, what happened?  I checked in the Pearl Jam thread and earlier in this thread.

Glad you are OK.  May the person that beat you up have a long and impotent life.

Gary and I will pay this man a visit if you tell us who he is.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1216 on: November 06, 2009, 04:07:27 PM »

Yeah what happened exactly? some drunk dude sucker punch u or something?

sandman
Legend

« Reply #1217 on: November 06, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »

thanks to everyone for the well wishes and all.  ok i posted in the PJ thread so i don't hijack this one any further.

Phils released Myers today. all kinds of rumors flying around about Hamels getting traded. the GM admitted he's looking to upgrade 3B. i actually like Feliz alot. i'll be sad to see him go.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1218 on: November 06, 2009, 04:33:28 PM »

Yeah what happened exactly? some drunk dude sucker punch u or something?

No some fucker jumped down from the upper deck on to his head.
Mal Brossard
VIP

« Reply #1219 on: November 06, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »

Look for the Phils to go after Chone Figgins.  That would be a deadly top of the order with him and Rollins.  Feliz is decent, but not amazing: he lacks the bat you look for in a 3B (.699 OPS in Philly?  OUCH!).  His versatility is good, but Figgins can play just as many (maybe even more) positions, and while he lacks power, his speed, versatility, and career average near .300 make up for it.

Indians may be interested in Brett Myers.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: