Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 02:21:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 293475 times)
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #1000 on: October 29, 2009, 10:17:01 AM »

Yeah I think Lee won't pitch until Game 5 again.  If Pedro keeps his little hot streak up........he's good for a least 7 innings tonight and I will say the Yanks won't get a win until Cole Hamels pitches in the 3rd game.  Happ will pitch the fourth.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #1001 on: October 29, 2009, 11:53:49 AM »

great game. i wanted to kill ibanez for his awful AB in the first with the bases loaded. but luckily Utley put a couple runs on a board later. he set the all-time record for reaching base safely in 26 straight playoff games. i believe he is also only the 2nd left-handed batter ever (Ruth) to hit 2 HRs in a WS game off a lefty.

Lee was dominant. 0 earned, 0 walks, and 10K (i believe 9 were swinging). that's just legendary. the yankees didn't help themselves either - i thought there were a few poor ABs.

loved the Star Wars music in the beginning. i used the same music for the wedding party at my reception (9 years ago this month).

i thought the fans were kinda weak. tough to tell on TV but they didn't seem loud or that into the game early on. and then all the empty seats in the last 2 innings?

i think tonight's game will be 5-4, after the first inning.  hihi for the phils to win, i think we'll need to score at least 7 or 8 runs. we'll need to get to burnett early.

i doubt the phils will use Lee in game 4. i HOPE they do not, even if we lose the next 2. i think they'll go with Blanton. but alot depends on how long Pedro and Hamels last the next two games. i'm assuming Happ is our first option for long relief.       

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #1002 on: October 29, 2009, 12:15:12 PM »

There's only one reason the Yankees lost last night so whose ever idea it was to put Yogi in a World Series jacket instead of his Yankees jacket should be immediately put to death!!!  rant

Tell me youze weren't absolutely HORRIFIED when youze saw that!!!

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1003 on: October 29, 2009, 12:49:20 PM »

Yeah, I gotta admit:  The NY media wasn't too kind to the Phillies, which I thought was nuts.  They are a GREAT team...I don't know why some people are underestimating them.

It was a great game for 7 innings.  CC pitched well, Lee was unreal.  Then...the Yanks bullpen stunk the place up to hand the Phillies the easy win.

I did find it interesting that with a 6-0 lead, they threw Lee back out there.  I think that might be a sign they don't plan to use him 3 times in the series.

It also seemed (and Fox's pitch trax seemed to agree...I don't know how accurate it is) that the stike zone for the Yanks pitchers was, at times, a bit smaller than the one for Lee.  But I don't think it had one iota of effect on the outcome.

I thought Giradi made all the right calls, no exceedingly bad calls (ALMOST, but they got it right in the end even if it did go against the Yanks)....

Leaving today around 2:30-ish for the Stadium.  Already prepayed for my parking (OUCH)!  It'll either be a much better outcome tonight....or Yanks fans are going to be VERY sad tomorrow morning. 
Yeah the Yankee bullpen did a poor job, AGAIN last night.  Maybe THAT'S why Girardi tried to squeeze every last ounce out of Burnett against the Angels.  He just doesn't trust the bridge to Rivera much anymore.  No one did their job last night it seems.

And let me just remind you that back in 2003 when Little left Pedro in to die, the Sox bullpen was firing on all cylinders.  I believe they had a scoreless post-season up till that point, or at least close to it.  Yet another reason why the 2 situations are not comparable.

Anyhow.  Go Phils!  And go Pedro, though I can't say I've got a lot of confidence in him.  Hope he proves me wrong.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #1004 on: October 29, 2009, 01:01:12 PM »

no exceedingly bad calls (ALMOST, but they got it right in the end even if it did go against the Yanks)....

Yes the call was right, but I do have a problem with how it happened, and i'll argue...

The 2nd base ump never called anybody out, until the fielder stepped on 2nd base(not when he caught the ball)... So that tells Matsui he is out, and Cano its a force out at first... So its kinda unfair to expect Matsui to get back to first when the ump really did get it wrong there
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1005 on: October 29, 2009, 01:04:16 PM »

no exceedingly bad calls (ALMOST, but they got it right in the end even if it did go against the Yanks)....

Yes the call was right, but I do have a problem with how it happened, and i'll argue...

The 2nd base ump never called anybody out, until the fielder stepped on 2nd base(not when he caught the ball)... So that tells Matsui he is out, and Cano its a force out at first... So its kinda unfair to expect Matsui to get back to first when the ump really did get it wrong there
Yeah but if there's any question, and there was on a close play like that, you get back to first until certain you're out.  You make the umpire physically remove you from first base instead of just hanging out in between first and second.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #1006 on: October 29, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »

BULL SHIT! that 2nd base ump CLEARLY called him out on the fly ball. he was very animated in calling the out before Rollins tagged 2nd. watch the replay. brilliant play by rollins to fool matsui into thinking he didn't catch it. even howard was fooled - rollins had to tell him tag matsui.

matsui needed to be more alert, especially because like i said, howard didn't realize right away so he had time to get back to first. but tough to blame him...you watch the play to see what happens - tough to say he should have checked the umps call in the middle of a fast play.

and more evidence of the lack of respect of the phils - all the headlines today say "Phils stun yanks". stun? STUN?? are you kidding me? we're all supposed to believe the yankees are just SO much better than the phils that its shocking when the phils beat them. hilarious!

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1007 on: October 29, 2009, 02:25:07 PM »

Helluva game last night.

CC and Cliff were oustanding, incredible performances by both.

"Chase Fucking Utley" - need I say more?

Onto tonight...

Looking for the Yanks to bounce back and jump on Pedro early.  As always, the Phils will fight back and get it close in the late innings making it a bullpen game. 

Who the hell knows from there, the Yanks need to find reliable bridge to Mo and we all know about the Phils issues..

Pilf - enjoy.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1008 on: October 29, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »

And let me just remind you that back in 2003 when Little left Pedro in to die, the Sox bullpen was firing on all cylinders.  I believe they had a scoreless post-season up till that point, or at least close to it.  Yet another reason why the 2 situations are not comparable.

You had 2 guys who had been shaky at the end of the regular season, but pitched well in the post.

We have 5 guys who pitched well during the regular season, 2 of which (Marte and Hughes) have not pitched well in the post. Bruney is a throw away pitcher, at best, at this point.  But that leaves Robertson and Joba as the bridge, who have pitched just fine.

Keep tryin', but it ain't workin'.  Smiley

Leaving for the Stadium RIGHT now!  Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1009 on: October 29, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »

Nope.  Fair or unfair in it's "execution" the call was right.  Matsui has to either take the double play or sit on first on that ball.  It's a tough baserunning decison to make, and there really isn't a "right call"....it was a great play by the Phillies and, as a Yanks fan, I'd sure like SOME reason to take issue with it (not that I think it would have effected the outcome)...but I just can't.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1010 on: October 29, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »

and more evidence of the lack of respect of the phils - all the headlines today say "Phils stun yanks". stun? STUN?? are you kidding me? we're all supposed to believe the yankees are just SO much better than the phils that its shocking when the phils beat them. hilarious!

I know Phillies fans are looking for a "lack of respect" card to play...and there are tons of actual signs of that to grab hold of...but I don't think that's one of them.

"Stunned" because the Yanks have been stellar at home, have the highest scoring offense in the majors,and couldn't muster so much as a sneeze against the Phillies until the error in the 9th.  Not so much that they beat them, but HOW they got beat.   At least that's the way I took the NATIONAL headlines.

That said....the bus is leaving!!!  I'll let you know how the stadium sounds tomorrow morning when I'm working (at 6 AM) on about 4 hours sleep (if I'm lucky).

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #1011 on: October 29, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »

I know Phillies fans are looking for a "lack of respect" card to play...and there are tons of actual signs of that to grab hold of...but I don't think that's one of them.

"Stunned" because the Yanks have been stellar at home, have the highest scoring offense in the majors,and couldn't muster so much as a sneeze against the Phillies until the error in the 9th.  Not so much that they beat them, but HOW they got beat.   At least that's the way I took the NATIONAL headlines.

That said....the bus is leaving!!!  I'll let you know how the stadium sounds tomorrow morning when I'm working (at 6 AM) on about 4 hours sleep (if I'm lucky).

have fun!  ok

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1012 on: October 29, 2009, 03:53:59 PM »

Lee was so fantastic last night his own teammates couldn't have hit him if he was throwing them a beach ball until the 9th inning. If the yankee bullpen had done its job. The yanks at least would've had a chance in the 9th getting the first two on. I was shocked to see Lee come out for the 8th and the 9th. I don't see any way he can come back on short rest. He threw 122 pitches.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1013 on: October 29, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »

Hairston in place of Swisher tonight. Its about freaking time! Swisher has killed so many rallies its depressing.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1014 on: October 29, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »

Hairston in place of Swisher tonight. Its about freaking time! Swisher has killed so many rallies its depressing.
I wonder if it's a numbers thing there with that move?  Does Hairston have good numbers against Pedro?  Or is it just that Swisher has been slumping?  Maybe a combo.  I'm gonna check that out.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1015 on: October 29, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »

I wonder if it's a numbers thing there with that move?  Does Hairston have good numbers against Pedro?  Or is it just that Swisher has been slumping?  Maybe a combo.  I'm gonna check that out.

It's both according to the article on the yankees site. Hairston has apparently hit Pedro well in the past. The article says in his career Hairston is 10 for 27 off Pedro with two doubles and a triple.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:35:49 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1016 on: October 29, 2009, 06:46:27 PM »

It's both according to the article on the yankees site. Hairston has apparently hit Pedro well in the past. The article says in his career Hairston is 10 for 27 off Pedro with two doubles and a triple.
Yeah, and Swisher is 0-2 against him.  Girardi himself is 4-18 against Pedro with a homer, so he could take some hacks if need be.

The Phillie lineup doesn't seem to have very good numbers against Burnett, for what it's worth.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1017 on: October 29, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »

Yeah, and Swisher is 0-2 against him.  Girardi himself is 4-18 against Pedro with a homer, so he could take some hacks if need be.

The Phillie lineup doesn't seem to have very good numbers against Burnett, for what it's worth.

LOL if only that were possible.

Really? Where did you find that out?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1018 on: October 29, 2009, 07:37:12 PM »

LOL if only that were possible.

Really? Where did you find that out?
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6314/batvspit;_ylt=Av7dHYJFpZawo2PKv9JLrvqFCLcF?year=career&type=Pitching

Feliz 2 for 15 - .133
Howard 2 for 12 - .167 2 HR's
Ibanez 4 for 15 - .267
Rollins 11 for 43 - .256 1 HR
Ruiz - 3 for 3 1 HR
Utley 6 for 21 - .286 1 HR 1 3B
Victorino 1 for 6
Werth 1 for 7

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1019 on: October 29, 2009, 07:44:42 PM »

Rollins Ibanez and Utley have the best against him no surprise there. I'm surprised Howard is so low though.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: