Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 10:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 293358 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #940 on: October 26, 2009, 08:08:10 AM »

ALCS MVP is for the ALCS.  Not the post season lifetime achievement award.

CC and A-Rod both have accomplished roughly the same thing, in that respect.  Both have less than stellar post season pasts.  Both have come up HUGE so far THIS post-season. In the ALCS, alone: 
CC goes 2-0 with a 1.12 ERA, 12ks, 3 walks in 16 innings of work. 
Arod hit .429 (.567 OB%), with 3 HR, 2 doubles, 6 RBI, and 6 Runs Scored. 

I'd say both those stat lines speak for themselves.

Both were deserving of the award.  I thought A-rod would get the nod simply based on the fact he played all 6 games.  I thought CC would have had to pitch another gem in game 7 to really cement him as the MVP.  Turn out...not.  I'm glad CC got it.  I hope A-Rod's doesn't feel "jilted" out of it...but I think, maybe, he's moved past the personal accomplishment obsession.

Great series...was sweating the last few outs last night (even with Mo pitching...he had to make it interesting).  The Angels really did NOT handle pressure situations well, by and large, the whole series.  Too many errors in close games, and the Yanks seemed to take advantage of just about every one.  Angels were/are a GREAT team, though...and considering our history, to go 4-2 against them in the series has to bolster the Yanks confidence.

Now, time for the Phillies.  They're a GREAT team, and I suspect it's going to be a tough series.  They're very similar to the Yanks.  Dangerous lineup 1-8 (we'll see who their DH is...likely 1-9 when they're in the AL park) with some LIVE arms.  Lee/Sabathia in game 1 might be a 1-0 ballgame with both guys pitching complete games.  IF the Phillies go with Pedro in game 2....you have Pedro vs Burnett.  That could be a wild one, considering the Yanks history with Pedro, and Burnett's propensity for inconsistency.  And in game 3, you have Hamels/Pettite.  That's the ONE matchup I actually feel good about as a Yanks fan....but it all depends on which Cole shows up to play.  Going into the ALCS, I would have said the Bullpen for the Yanks is an advantage, but they've been inconsistent of late, so now I'd say a toss up with the POSSIBLE advantage going to the Yanks. The one BIG advantage, IMHO, for the Yanks is Mo.  Lidge has been better, in the playoffs, than he was during the regular season.  But Mo has been pretty much lights out.

The one thing I know:  The Yanks are now, without question, the best team in the AL.  We've at least put to bed the Sox/Rays (who, admittedly, fizzled much earlier in the conversation)/Angels/Yankees argument to bed for THIS season.  Smiley

Now...it's about who the best team in baseball is.  Let the games begin!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:16:37 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #941 on: October 26, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »

Sort of baseball related:

Steve Philips, former Mets GM and current ESPN analyst, has been suspended from ESPN.  He was caught having an affair (that turned a bit "fatal attraction-y) with a production assistant at ESPN.  This is the same guy who admitted multiple affairs while being a member of the Mets front office.

Speculation is that the one week suspension is only the start, and that Steve will likely be out of a job soon (either by resigning or by forcing ESPN to terminate his contract).

www.nypost.com/p/news/national/exclusive_espn_steve_phillips_in_bLw9UoSAQJwJLU4ZDXvvDO

Update:  ESPN has now fired him.

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #942 on: October 26, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »

i think there is no doubt that the two best teams in the league are facing each other. it has potential to be a great one, but either team is capable of winning a couple close games and ending this thing in 5 games.

Rollins predictions are dead on once again. he said phils-yanks in the series back during the spring training (i believe it was an interview iwth Playboy).

lee/sabatthia in game 1 - doesn't get much better than that.

personally, i'd go blanton in game 2, then pedro, then hamels (or lee on 3 days rest). Hamels is not himself. he's had numerous chances to get back on track and has failed every time. but charlie is loyal and he'll probably use him in game 2 or 3. 

as for the phils DH, i'm asusming that will be ibanez with francisco starting in left.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #943 on: October 26, 2009, 09:56:53 AM »

A bit shocked Arod didn't get the ALCS MVP but it's hard to argue against CC - either one would have been a fine choice..

Onto the Fall Classic..

Great matchup, the two best teams in the game for sure.

Big picture, they seem virtually even - lineup, starting pitching, bench etc..

That is, until the end of the bullpen with the edge going to the Yankees and Mo - he's the difference maker.

Sticking with my original pick, Yanks to win #27 in a nail biting 7 game series.

Sabathia/Lee in Game 1, it doesn't get better than that. ok

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
sandman
Legend

« Reply #944 on: October 26, 2009, 11:16:10 AM »

these teams are strikingly similar.

i'd say the yanks have a SP advantage, RP advantage, and homefield.

phils have slight advantages in defense, speed, and maybe managing.

there's probably more pressure on the yankees because of the fact they are the yankees, their record, payroll, but mostly because there's very little pressure on the phils since they already won their title. i think that confidence and attitutde is what carried them through the playoffs so far. but the yanks have plenty that have done it before, so it's not really an issue.

factoring in everything, i give the advantage to the yanks. WS is all about pitching. they are and should be the favorite. i'll say yanks in 6. i have no confidence in hamels and lidge, and they are two major pieces of the team.

good luck to all and enjoy the games!!!   

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #945 on: October 26, 2009, 12:17:54 PM »

these teams are strikingly similar.

i'd say the yanks have a SP advantage, RP advantage, and homefield.

I'd mostly agree, but think it could go either way in SP, the advantage in RP is in theory (based on the actual ALCS, I'm not sure...except when it comes to Mo), and well...homefield is nice, but is going to "play" very similar to your park. 

phils have slight advantages in defense, speed, and maybe managing.

I'd agree, except on that last bit.  I'd turn that "maybe" into a big old "defnitely" based on the way Joe managed (and cost us 2 games in) the ALCS.  We'll see if he learns from his mistakes or not.

there's probably more pressure on the yankees because of the fact they are the yankees, their record, payroll, but mostly because there's very little pressure on the phils since they already won their title. i think that confidence and attitutde is what carried them through the playoffs so far. but the yanks have plenty that have done it before, so it's not really an issue.

I think the pressure is about equal.  The phillies are looking to repeat, looking to beat the vaunted Yankees in a world series, feel like this series is on a "bigger stage" than last years, etc.  The Yanks have the fact they haven't won one since 2000, haven't appeared in one sind '03, and have been the heavy favorite to win THIS one since just after the All Star Break (when Boston finally petered out).

I think both teams have a ton of heart, determination, and "grit". 

factoring in everything, i give the advantage to the yanks. WS is all about pitching. they are and should be the favorite. i'll say yanks in 6. i have no confidence in hamels and lidge, and they are two major pieces of the team.

good luck to all and enjoy the games!!!   

I like your prediction! Smiley

I say it'll go 7, be a nail biter, and the Yanks will edge one out, by one run, in a walk off, in the bottom of the 13th inning.  Because I have too much respect for the Phillies to pick otherwise, and too much "love" for my NYY to pick them to lose.  Smiley

Together again,
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #946 on: October 26, 2009, 12:58:31 PM »

Pitching is going out the window for the World Series.

Both teams play in bandboxes and have Murderer's Row type lineups.

This is going to be fun.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #947 on: October 26, 2009, 01:56:30 PM »

This is going to be fun.

Beyond CC and Lee, you maybe onto something.

The only other guys that seem to be "trustable" so to speak (for me) maybe Pettitte and Mo.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone else can/will step up.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #948 on: October 26, 2009, 02:55:45 PM »

This is going to be fun.

none of the yankees starters gave up more than 4 runs a start; phillies have pitched pretty well as well
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #949 on: October 26, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »

This is going to be fun.

none of the yankees starters gave up more than 4 runs a start; phillies have pitched pretty well as well

Only Burnett more than 3 in that one rough inning. I expect a great nail biting series that probably goes the distance.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #950 on: October 26, 2009, 04:40:53 PM »

This is going to be fun.

The only other guys that seem to be "trustable" so to speak (for me) maybe Pettitte and Mo.

The weather will play a factor in this thing too. 

I hate how MLB has stretched out this postseason.  Harsh winter weather may stifle the offenses or aid in the renaming of these stadiums into Cape Canaveral.  We just won't know until the forecasts are in.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #951 on: October 26, 2009, 04:50:53 PM »

I hate how MLB has stretched out this postseason.  .

Couldn't agree more, it's gotten silly.

Too many days between series, off days (that aren't travel days) during the LCS's - flat out goofy.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #952 on: October 26, 2009, 05:01:06 PM »

Too many days between series, off days (that aren't travel days) during the LCS's - flat out goofy.

Not only that, but it started too late (calendarwise).

And the start times have been ridiculous.  Sure, they may boost ratings in the short term, but if little Timmy can't stay up to watch the games, he may be turned off to baseball and go play Warcraft on the computer instead.  Have some reasonable start times so your future fans can fall in love with the game.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #953 on: October 26, 2009, 05:34:05 PM »

I'd agree, except on that last bit.  I'd turn that "maybe" into a big old "defnitely" based on the way Joe managed (and cost us 2 games in) the ALCS.  We'll see if he learns from his mistakes or not.

I take it all back.  Maybe it is a maybe.

Pitching Pedro in game 2, vs AJ, AT YANKEE STADIUM?? What the heck is he thinking?

Matchups are as follows:

Game 1, 4, and 7: Sabathia vs Lee

Game 2: AJ vs Pedro

Game 3: Pettite vs Cole Hamell

Phillies will "keep their options open" for games 5 and 6, based on "how everyone is throwing".

I just can't fathom WHY, given the history, Charlie Manuel would want to stir up the hornets nest and make the Stadium even MORE of a hostile environment by pitching Pedro.  Pitching him at all maybe a necessary evil, but considering that the man, himself, calls the Yanks "his daddy", I'm not sure pitching him AT the Stadium is a wise move.  They have VERY good numbers against him, have seen him (though  not this incarnation of him) a ton, and hit him pretty hard when he had his GOOD stuff with the Sox, and his mediocre stuff with the Mets.

Charlie is either going to look the savant, when Pedro throws up a bunch of zeroes, or the second guessed idiot when he gets shelled.  No in between on this one.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #954 on: October 26, 2009, 05:37:59 PM »

And the start times have been ridiculous.  Sure, they may boost ratings in the short term, but if little Timmy can't stay up to watch the games, he may be turned off to baseball and go play Warcraft on the computer instead.  Have some reasonable start times so your future fans can fall in love with the game.

Agree and Agree.  Playing baseball into November, simply to apease the network taskmasters, is just nuts.  Completely, 100%, batshit nuts.

And starting games at 8 or 8:30 PM is simply too darn late.  Last nights game ended at 12:10 AM....and lets face it, most of the people watching have to work the next day.

Weeknight games should start by 7:30 PM, Weekend games should start at either 1 PM (on Saturday) or 4 PM (on Sunday).  Fox should forgo the 4 PM NFL games the 1 week the WS overlaps.  It's not like they don't have tons of notice to work the schedules.

I'm going to be SOOOOO sleep deprived by the time this series is over.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #955 on: October 26, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »

Agree and Agree.  Playing baseball into November, simply to apease the network taskmasters, is just nuts.  Completely, 100%, batshit nuts.

And starting games at 8 or 8:30 PM is simply too darn late.  Last nights game ended at 12:10 AM....and lets face it, most of the people watching have to work the next day.

Weeknight games should start by 7:30 PM, Weekend games should start at either 1 PM (on Saturday) or 4 PM (on Sunday).  Fox should forgo the 4 PM NFL games the 1 week the WS overlaps.  It's not like they don't have tons of notice to work the schedules.

That may be true but if the yankees win it will be worth it admit it.  Grin
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #956 on: October 26, 2009, 05:57:50 PM »

That may be true but if the yankees win it will be worth it admit it.  Grin

ABSO-fucking-lutely.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #957 on: October 26, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »

Slightly off topic:

In December of 2000, my father...a life long Yankee Fan, and the guy who instilled his love of baseball in me...passed away of lung cancer.  This year, my wife and I are running the Runyon 5k, at yankee stadium. I know times are tough, the economy stinks, and we're all hurting. But ...if you can spare ANYTHING, please donate to this amazing cause, if you can:

https://www.drcrf.org/SSLPage.aspx?pid=447&frsid=6138

Thanks guys! Smiley

We may sometimes disagree on baseball, politics, and other heated topics...but I do count all of you as friends, virtual or not.

Here's to a memorable World Series.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:01:34 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #958 on: October 26, 2009, 06:52:53 PM »

This is going to be fun.

The weather will play a factor in this thing too. 

I hate how MLB has stretched out this postseason.  Harsh winter weather may stifle the offenses or aid in the renaming of these stadiums into Cape Canaveral.  We just won't know until the forecasts are in.

TV Money TV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV MoneyTV Money

I think it may have something to do w TV money hihi
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #959 on: October 26, 2009, 06:54:32 PM »

suck it up hihi
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: