Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 08:33:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 293328 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #880 on: October 20, 2009, 01:44:44 PM »

You risk it AGAIN because he's made that play more times in key situations than he hasn't AND YOU GOT MARIANO ON THE MOUND!!!!!

No, Damon HASN'T made that play.  Not in the past couple years.  He's not the gunslinger he once was.  His throwing range (hell, his range in general) is awful, now, and it has been for at least the past 2 or 3 seasons.  You're asking him to make a play as the player he USED to be, not the player he is now.  That would be like expecting Matsui to go 1st to 3rd...or score from 1st on a double.  He USED to be able to do those things.  He can't, now.  That's the reality.  It's why you see a pinch runner go in for Matsui late in the game, and it's why you've seen Gardner play center, and Melky move to left, in tight, late game situations where you need a defensive replacement.  Last night, they'd already made some moves that left the "standard" outfield shift not an option.

And yes, you've got Mo on the mound.  Which means you're at least as likely to get a strike out as you are "something else".  But there is a 50% chance of "something else".  He wasn't  taking Mo out..he wasn't handcuffing him.  He was putting the best defensive tools he could behind him, to increase his chance of success.

And yes, it probably caused them to lose the game.  Or at least contributed to it.

Aceves and Robertson have both been "ify" in relief all season long.  Like the song says "when you're hot, you're hot - when you're not, you're not."  It would've been great to have those two combined for those outs.  Girardi gambled and lost.

Robertson has, in 3 post season appearances, been stellar.  Gotten out of a bases loaded jam, gotten 3 quick outs in the 13 inning thriller, and gotten 2 quick outs yesterday.  That's what Joe knew about Robertson when he made his decision.  The kid had come up HUGE, pitched lights out, and in pressure situations with the game on the line, of late.

Compare that with what he knew about Aceves who had pitched 2 innings, given up 3 hits, 3 walks, 1 Earned run, and only had 1 strike out. And that earned run had ALMOST cost them that 13 inning game, short A-rod's heroics.  Aceves has managed mediocre pitching, and come up "small" in pressure situations, lately.

I don't think that comparison even deserves further scrutiny.  The contrast is pretty striking.

Argue that Joe was feeling "touchy feely" with Aceves confidence level...if that was his justification, he's flat out batshit nuts.  If he did it because he thought it would be a better matchup, because the hitter was a good fastball hitter and Aceves brought some variety to the table...he was just mistaken.  Not about the numbers/matchup, but about thinking mediocre pitching, which is what Aceves has been throwing the last few weeks (starting before the end of the season), was better than GOOD pitching.  Joe flat out over thought it. 

I'm not going to crucify the guy for it.  It was a mistake, and one they could afford to make YESTERDAY (but not today).  It was not the only reason they lost (the production from the 7-8-9 batters was a big part of it, too).  But I think it WAS a bad decision in a big spot.  Not for nothing, but mostly everyone else agrees:  The Yanks fans I've "heard" discussing it, the sports media, the broadcasters last night....which isn't to say they're all right.  But it's not like my perspective is some radical point of view out of left field.  It's pretty much the prevailing notion, here.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:56:46 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #881 on: October 20, 2009, 03:13:48 PM »

I hate that I predicted the Phils to win in 5 games.

I don't ALWAYS want to be right.  Angry
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #882 on: October 20, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »

Wow! A-Rod is unstoppable.
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #883 on: October 20, 2009, 09:59:26 PM »

someone get rid of that 3rd base umpire
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #884 on: October 20, 2009, 10:52:41 PM »

Wonder if we'll have any decent series this post-season.  no

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #885 on: October 20, 2009, 11:55:39 PM »

Yeah that guy was awful tonight. Blown calls against both teams tonight. Cano and Posada were out and Swisher didn't leave too soon.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #886 on: October 21, 2009, 07:37:15 AM »

Great outcome (if you're a yanks fan).  Gives them a pretty good advantage and they SHOULD (which doesn't mean they will) win this series.  It's not over til they win one more...but they're pretty much exactly where I expected (hoped) them to be after 5.

Officiating was HORRIBLE for both teams.  HORRIBLE.  As it has been pretty much all post season, in both leagues.  MLB has to do something...the officiating is marring an otherwise pretty good post season.  IT'S becoming the story and, as a league, that's the worst thing for you.

The game (from a baseball perspective) wasn't great.  Kazmir and his catcher couldn't get in synch, and he didn't have great stuff all night.  Posada's head was in his ass at least twice (forgetting how many outs there were and that boneheaded baserunning move).  Angels commit ANOTHER error (though the run was pretty much irrelevant).  Pretty sloppy all the way around.

CC was stellar again, and A-rod has been unreal.  They're the frontrunners, IMHO, for ALCS MVP, assuming the Yanks manage to win.  I suspect A-rod will get it (unless he puts up a couple bagels in the remaining game(s)) simply because his numbers are so crazy good.  But, for my money, CC's pitching is easily the reason we're up 3-1.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #887 on: October 21, 2009, 10:49:28 AM »

I think the only way CC's getting ALCS MVP is it goes the distance and he wins Game 7, otherwise it's A-Rods - the numbers are just too gaudy. 

Amazed he's not getting pitched around at this point, I suppose his recent post season history is buying him some time on that front.

Generally..

The Yanks came out just like I thought they would last night, very impressive.

On a side note, I just heard the John Sterling/Edith Bunker call of A-Rod's dinger last night on the Dan Patrick Show..

Oh...my..God.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
sandman
Legend

« Reply #888 on: October 21, 2009, 10:56:37 AM »

i'm going to the Phils game tonight. hopefully we can close it out. you don't want to go back to LA with the momentum in their favor. if we lose, we could pitch Lee in game 6 (on regular rest) or game 7 (on 5 days rest). it would be nice to have Hamels get back in form. he looked ok in game 1, but still not at the top of his game.

that game the other night was incredible. the dodgers were in total control and the phils stole it in the 9th with 2 outs. just exciting as hell.

anyone hear Vin Scully's call? i was worried he collapsed after that game. you can just hear the disgust in his voice, followed by over 30 seconds of total silence - all you hear is the phillies fans going insane. the local sports radio statio has been playing over and over.

you gotta love Manny.....
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20091021_Manny_was_in_shower_when_Game_4_went_down_the_drain_for_Dodgers.html  

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #889 on: October 21, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »

I think the only way CC's getting ALCS MVP is it goes the distance and he wins Game 7, otherwise it's A-Rods - the numbers are just too gaudy. 

Amazed he's not getting pitched around at this point, I suppose his recent post season history is buying him some time on that front.

Generally..

On a side note, I just heard the John Sterling/Edith Bunker call of A-Rod's dinger last night on the Dan Patrick Show..

Oh...my..God.

I heard it on Sportscenter, during the ALCS highlight package.  Insane...just insane.  There's "over the top" and then there's Sterling.

On a completely seperate note:  I have 2 tix to the the 2nd game of the World Series, BLEACHERS, if the Yanks make it.  Smiley

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #890 on: October 21, 2009, 11:52:50 AM »

Generally..

Oh...my..God.

I heard it on Sportscenter, during the ALCS highlight package.  Insane...just insane.  There's "over the top" and then there's Sterling.

On a completely seperate note:  I have 2 tix to the the 2nd game of the World Series, BLEACHERS, if the Yanks make it.  Smiley

that's awesome! have fun! (yanks are in.)

IF the phils make it, it will be insane - all WS games being played about 100 miles apart. scalpers have been getting FAR less in philly for the playoff games this year compared to last, but the WS tix will go through the roof IF the phils win and face the yanks.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #891 on: October 21, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »

Manny is and remains, well - an idiot.  Albeit an idiot who can hit...

Moving on..

I think the Phils wrap it up tonight and the Yanks do the same tomorrow.

And you'll be there for Game 2 pilf. yes

Sweet.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #892 on: October 21, 2009, 12:57:34 PM »

Sort of baseball related:

Steve Philips, former Mets GM and current ESPN analyst, has been suspended from ESPN.  He was caught having an affair (that turned a bit "fatal attraction-y) with a production assistant at ESPN.  This is the same guy who admitted multiple affairs while being a member of the Mets front office.

Speculation is that the one week suspension is only the start, and that Steve will likely be out of a job soon (either by resigning or by forcing ESPN to terminate his contract).

www.nypost.com/p/news/national/exclusive_espn_steve_phillips_in_bLw9UoSAQJwJLU4ZDXvvDO

Together again,
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #893 on: October 21, 2009, 01:32:44 PM »

Sort of baseball related:

Steve Philips, former Mets GM and current ESPN analyst, has been suspended from ESPN.  He was caught having an affair (that turned a bit "fatal attraction-y) with a production assistant at ESPN.  This is the same guy who admitted multiple affairs while being a member of the Mets front office.

Speculation is that the one week suspension is only the start, and that Steve will likely be out of a job soon (either by resigning or by forcing ESPN to terminate his contract).

www.nypost.com/p/news/national/exclusive_espn_steve_phillips_in_bLw9UoSAQJwJLU4ZDXvvDO

Never liked Phillips anyway, was always ALWAYS anti-Yankees.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #894 on: October 21, 2009, 01:36:07 PM »

Fuck the Angels.  I was at El Torito last night harassing these Angels fans.  And I would cheer very loud every time the Yanks did something.  And I loved that call at 2nd hahahaha.  I just told those bandwagon hopping bitches to SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET SOME DICK!

anyone hear Vin Scully's call? i was worried he collapsed after that game. you can just hear the disgust in his voice, followed by over 30 seconds of total silence - all you hear is the phillies fans going insane. the local sports radio statio has been playing over and over.

Just want to say one thing for the GOAT.  After big plays, he always stays silent to let the crowd noise do the talking for the audience.  Yes, even for the Dodgers.  See; Kirk Gibson, 1988.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #895 on: October 21, 2009, 02:11:48 PM »

Great outcome (if you're a yanks fan).  Gives them a pretty good advantage and they SHOULD (which doesn't mean they will) win this series.  It's not over til they win one more...but they're pretty much exactly where I expected (hoped) them to be after 5.

Officiating was HORRIBLE for both teams.  HORRIBLE.  As it has been pretty much all post season, in both leagues.  MLB has to do something...the officiating is marring an otherwise pretty good post season.  IT'S becoming the story and, as a league, that's the worst thing for you.

The game (from a baseball perspective) wasn't great.  Kazmir and his catcher couldn't get in synch, and he didn't have great stuff all night.  Posada's head was in his ass at least twice (forgetting how many outs there were and that boneheaded baserunning move).  Angels commit ANOTHER error (though the run was pretty much irrelevant).  Pretty sloppy all the way around.

CC was stellar again, and A-rod has been unreal.  They're the frontrunners, IMHO, for ALCS MVP, assuming the Yanks manage to win.  I suspect A-rod will get it (unless he puts up a couple bagels in the remaining game(s)) simply because his numbers are so crazy good.  But, for my money, CC's pitching is easily the reason we're up 3-1.

They could always have CO-MVPS and give it to both  A-Rod and CC. It wouldn't be the first time its happened both are deserving.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #896 on: October 21, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »

Quck hitters..

Vin Scully's the last of the best generation of play by play guys, an icon.

That said, Jack Buck's national radio call of Gibson's homer is how that one will be forever remembered by the masses - "I don't believe what I just saw!"

Fucking goosebumbs.

Steve Phillips? 

My favorite national guy, too bad he's put himself in this position - what the hell was he thinking (with)?

Consquences for actions Steve - think before you, well...you know..

McClellan had a horrible night umping, no doubt.  Be glad it didn't cost anyone a game (or a series for that matter) - see Don Denkinger.. Angry

Saw Torre's reaction to ManRam's latest buffoonery. I understand taking the "company line" every now and again but enough is enough.  Smart money says he's fuming inside and was muted by the front office.  If I'm Joe, it's "Manny or me, take your choice" for next year.

First pitch in Philly's about 15 minutes away,  enter "sandman".  yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #897 on: October 22, 2009, 12:54:03 AM »

Haha, they just had to win 7 measly games.

Oh well, the Lakers put up some new laundry up on the wall at Staples Center in 5 days.

Stay classy, New York.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #898 on: October 22, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »

First pitch in Philly's about 15 minutes away,  enter "sandman".  yes

haha!  ok

i'm running on fumes today - only got about 4 hours of sleep. celebrated with thousands of others after the game. i walked down Broad Street and saw all kinds of debauchery. luckily there were no major incidents that i heard of.

great win. getting back to WS really legitimizes this team. and should they pull the upset and actually win, now you're talking dynasty.

facing the Yankees makes the WS soooo much more exciting than another LA team. should be alot of fun. amtrak series. i'm checking sites for tix to Games 1 and 2 now. i'm assuming the prices will rise up once the Yanks close this series out (very likely tonight).

Steve Philips is an a-hole. he put his wife through alot in the 90's. and now he does it again. and not that this matters, but the girl he cheated with didn't miss a single freakin branch falling out of the ugly tree. she tough to look at.   

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #899 on: October 22, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »

great win. getting back to WS really legitimizes this team. and should they pull the upset and actually win, now you're talking dynasty.

It definitely puts a certificate of authenticity on them, they're the best team to represent the National League without question.

I like the way they handled themselves after the final out, looked like they'd been there before with business still left to finish.

As for the Dodgers, I'm surprised they went out without (much of) a fight.  Time to jettison
the left fielder and move on with a better "make up" guy. 

Would not be shocked to see Matt Holliday end up in LA...

I think the Yanks close it out tonight, time to make some memories at new Yankee Stadium..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: