Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:21:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 293185 times)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #820 on: October 14, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »

For the record, the Pacers w/ Miller met the Knicks six times in the playoffs.  Each team won three series. 

So...so much for this BS:

(which his team did lose).  Roll Eyes
I was referring to this:

(Quotes by Reggie Miller)
We had a bet: If we won the series, my wife Marita would get a role in his next movie. If the Knicks won, I'd have to visit Mike Tyson in prison in Indiana.

We were up, 3-2, in the series, but then we relaxed. We went home to Indiana and lost by 7. Then we went back to New York and got beat by 4. End of season.

Also, here's a gem I'm sure you'll enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3RkL-Hc9T0
HA!!!  YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN!!!  rant
I didn't enjoy that one bit.  no  Cry

ON TOPIC:  Heavy rain is predicted for the next four or five days here so who knows when they'll get the ALCS started.  Undecided

And since MLB and all the networks have to bow to the Yankees every wish, the west coast/NL fans get the shaft with abstract start times!!!!!   rant rant rant rant

(Meh, I don't really care, I was able to get cheap tickets because of these wacky start times!  Grin)

Gotta listen to your bottom bitch! (South Park reference)

I know how it works.  Can't do anything about it.

Just take the pounding without any objection.   no
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #821 on: October 14, 2009, 10:43:01 PM »

I was referring to this:

We had a bet: If we won the series, my wife Marita would get a role in his next movie. If the Knicks won, I'd have to visit Mike Tyson in prison in Indiana.

We were up, 3-2, in the series, but then we relaxed. We went home to Indiana and lost by 7. Then we went back to New York and got beat by 4. End of season.

Wow...not THAT quote certainly dates things.  He's divorced from her and Tyson has been out of prison and (if memory serves) back in and out again (or at least in some trouble).

Anyway, those series were great.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #822 on: October 14, 2009, 10:44:30 PM »

I was referring to this:

Wow...not THAT quote certainly dates things.  He's divorced from her and Tyson has been out of prison and (if memory serves) back in and out again (or at least in some trouble).

Knicks/Pacers
Knicks/Bulls
And to a lesser extent, Pacers/Bulls

Greatest Eastern rivalries from the 90's.  Fun time to be a basketball fan
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #823 on: October 14, 2009, 10:48:10 PM »

Now that's something we agree on!!!  Those were GREAT series!!!  ok

Gotta listen to your bottom bitch! (South Park reference)
nervous  I don't watch South Park that often.  Must've missed that one.  nervous

ON TOPIC:  Heavy rain is predicted for the next four or five days here so who knows when they'll get the ALCS started.  Undecided

And since MLB and all the networks have to bow to the Yankees every wish, the west coast/NL fans get the shaft with abstract start times!!!!!   rant rant rant rant

(Meh, I don't really care, I was able to get cheap tickets because of these wacky start times!  Grin)

I believe you can actually blame the networks coverage of the NFL and NCAA football games for any and all scheduling changes.  Wink 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #824 on: October 15, 2009, 02:37:31 AM »

The 2010 Los Angeles Dodgers: Cellar Dwellers

The McCourt Divorce coming to a tabloid near you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #825 on: October 15, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »

Nothing in sports gets me going like postseason baseball.(Particularly when my team is in it...Yankees)

What do you guys think about giradi going with the 3 man rotation against the Angels. i think it will be good. because cc in theory would only have to pitch on 3 days rest 1 time.  ok

I'm not sold.  I think overworking CC has been tried by other managers, and it hasn't turned out all that well in the past.  I think it's a good theory that might not be nearly so good in practice.   I think that decision needs to be VERY situational based on where they are after 3 games in the series.

In addition, I'm not sure the weather is going to cooperate tomorrow..which would put the kabosh on the idea, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:00:57 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #826 on: October 15, 2009, 07:59:06 AM »

And since MLB and all the networks have to bow to the Yankees every wish, the west coast/NL fans get the shaft with abstract start times!!!!!   rant rant rant rant

Current thinking is one of two scenarios if Friday rains out:

1) ALCS vs NLCS on Sunday night.  Obviously, nobody is too happy about the idea of them going head to head but....

2)  ALCS on Saturday and MONDAY in NYC, then games 3-5 in Anaheim on Tuesday-Thursday.  Keep all the start times the same, shift location on the one game, and eliminate the 2nd off day, rather than the 1st.

Looking at the weather, different sites are predicting different things.  Some are saying light rain and drizzle for Friday evening (and they'll play, IMHO).  Some are saying steady to heavy rain.  The question is:  Can they find a window in there. 

Of course, we're supposed to have people over to watch the game tomorrow night...   nervous
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:01:12 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #827 on: October 15, 2009, 09:25:26 AM »

Nothing in sports gets me going like postseason baseball.(Particularly when my team is in it...Yankees)

What do you guys think about giradi going with the 3 man rotation against the Angels. i think it will be good. because cc in theory would only have to pitch on 3 days rest 1 time.  ok

I'm not sold.  I think overworking CC has been tried by other managers, and it hasn't turned out all that well in the past.  I think it's a good theory that might not be nearly so good in practice.   I think that decision needs to be VERY situational based on where they are after 3 games in the series.

In addition, I'm not sure the weather is going to cooperate tomorrow..which would put the kabosh on the idea, anyway.
I would tend to agree with you.  I usually discourage using guys on 3 days rest in the playoffs.  More often than not it doesn't work out well.  And CC has broken down the past couple years because of overuse.  BUT, he hasn't pitched on 3 days rest all year, has he?  And I think his innings total are quite low compared to previous years, aren't they?  In past years he's pitched on 3 days rest down the stretch like 4 or 5 straight outings.  And he's been good up until that last one.  SO, you might be able to get away with pitching him on 3 days rest from here on out.  Especially if the series don't go 7 games.  If they did, fatigue could set in.

But still, I would opt to go with 4 guys unless prompted otherwise.  Of course I want the Yankees to lose, so whatever will further that cause I'm all for.  Watch out for those Angels.  Always a thorn in the Yankees side.  That Nick Adenhart (RIP) thing is a scary omen on their side.  A true life Angel In The Outfield for them.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #828 on: October 15, 2009, 08:33:04 PM »

I would tend to agree with you.  I usually discourage using guys on 3 days rest in the playoffs.  More often than not it doesn't work out well.  And CC has broken down the past couple years because of overuse.  BUT, he hasn't pitched on 3 days rest all year, has he?  And I think his innings total are quite low compared to previous years, aren't they?  In past years he's pitched on 3 days rest down the stretch like 4 or 5 straight outings.  And he's been good up until that last one.  SO, you might be able to get away with pitching him on 3 days rest from here on out.  Especially if the series don't go 7 games.  If they did, fatigue could set in.

But still, I would opt to go with 4 guys unless prompted otherwise.  Of course I want the Yankees to lose, so whatever will further that cause I'm all for.  Watch out for those Angels.  Always a thorn in the Yankees side.  That Nick Adenhart (RIP) thing is a scary omen on their side.  A true life Angel In The Outfield for them.

No he hasn't pitched on 3 days rest all season and his innings are below 230 i believe. So having to use him on 3 days once maybe twice if we get to the WS should be ok. When he's broke down in the past it was after pitching on short rest 5 or 6 times in a row.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #829 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:46 AM »

what a game last night! that was tense. i can't believe the phils bullpen outperformed the dodgers and was able to keep the lead throughout the game. ruiz (aka Senor Octobre) and ibanez came through big time, but my mvp from that game is Park. the guy hasn't pitched in weeks, comes in with a man on 2nd and no outs and all the momentum in dodgers favor, and he starts throwoing 97mph fastballs with movement. unreal.

before the series started, i was thinking dodgers in 6. the dodgers were playing really well, great offense, very good SP, and maybe the best bullpen in the league. the phils have some serious question marks with their SP, but i thought the bullpen was a clear (and huge) advantage for the dodgers. it's only one game, but that first game is so important. i'll still stick with my prediction, but it might be 7 games instead. this series is gonna be a battle.

can't believe they are right back at it at 4:00 today. i need more time to recover, and it would be nice to enjoy this win a little more. 

i know alot of people complain about national announcers favoring the other team. but last night was just over the top. i was actually embarressed for those guys. you could hear the pure emotion in their voice - disappointment when the phils made a big play, and excitment for the dodgers. you would have thought Manny was his son when he hit that HR. then the first comment made by EJ after the game was "the dodgers waste a 14 hit attack."  rofl but i love it! it makes each victory so much sweeter.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #830 on: October 16, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »

i know alot of people complain about national announcers favoring the other team. but last night was just over the top. i was actually embarressed for those guys. you could hear the pure emotion in their voice - disappointment when the phils made a big play, and excitment for the dodgers. you would have thought Manny was his son when he hit that HR. then the first comment made by EJ after the game was "the dodgers waste a 14 hit attack."  rofl but i love it! it makes each victory so much sweeter.

And just so you don't think it was "just you"....I noticed the same thing last night.   The announcers were so pro-Dodger, I was shocked.

I'm betting dollars to donuts we get "pro-Angels" out of the Fox crew tonight....

We're having a bunch of people over to watch the game tonight.  Looks like the weather is actually going to cooperate (for us...gonna be COLD at Yankee Stadium tonight...which makes me worry because CC is not a great cold weather guy).  Smiley

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #831 on: October 16, 2009, 10:56:21 AM »

cool. so it wasn't just me. yeah, good luck with the announcers...i think you're right.

and i agree with you on giradi's decision to use a 3-man rotation. it could be the right strategy, but no reason to announce it now. i think the yanks win the series either way. maybe even in 5 games.

i also don't like the rotation torre has selected. Padilla tonight? i don't understand that. but with that said, it will probably end up working out for them. who am i to question the managers of the top teams in each league?

crazy point someone mentioned to me....Nathan, Street, Papelbum, Franklin, Sherrill, Lidge. 10 days ago, who would have thought Lidge would be the top performer of that group in the playoffs? the other 5 all had blown saves or gave up huge runs that cost their team the game (although Franklin's BS was no fault of his own).

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #832 on: October 16, 2009, 11:43:07 AM »

Just leave a quick voice mail to Howard:

Watch your head!

Padilla likes to head hunt.  I'm not sure he'd do it in the playoffs, but his shenanigans are the reason he was run out of Texas.  In fact, one of the last straws were his antics vs the Yanks.

I rarely wish ill on another person.....just not my style.  But I would certainly not be sad if Howard ran a liner straight back at Padilla....he's a bush league nutjob who's going to get somebody hurt, badly, if he continues down the path he has for the past couple years. 

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #833 on: October 16, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »

Just leave a quick voice mail to Howard:

Watch your head!

Padilla likes to head hunt.  I'm not sure he'd do it in the playoffs, but his shenanigans are the reason he was run out of Texas.  In fact, one of the last straws were his antics vs the Yanks.

I rarely wish ill on another person.....just not my style.  But I would certainly not be sad if Howard ran a liner straight back at Padilla....he's a bush league nutjob who's going to get somebody hurt, badly, if he continues down the path he has for the past couple years. 

i hear ya! i followed Padilla closely when he was in Philly - they really had high hopes for him. total headcase.

nothing would surprise me one bit. same 2 teams facing each other in the champ series 2 years in a row. plus things were testy last year (that was the series victorino almost got hit and said "hit me in the ribs, not my head"). and he had words last night with martin. then you had Manny show-boating and i didn't actually see this, but apparently he stared down the phils dugout. could be interesting.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #834 on: October 16, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »

I'm betting dollars to donuts we get "pro-Angels" out of the Fox crew tonight....

Hmmm, interesting opinion.

I'd think just the opposite.

From a ratings/interest standpoint, Fox has got to be pulling for the Yankees. 

Beyond the Nick Adenhart storyline (and it's a helluva storyline) there's just not much there
to latch onto.

I'd suspect they'd kill for an LA/NY and wouldn't be upset in the least with the Phils/Yanks.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #835 on: October 16, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »

Hmmm, interesting opinion.

I'd think just the opposite.

From a ratings/interest standpoint, Fox has got to be pulling for the Yankees. 

Beyond the Nick Adenhart storyline (and it's a helluva storyline) there's just not much there
to latch onto.

I'd suspect they'd kill for an LA/NY and wouldn't be upset in the least with the Phils/Yanks.

The Fox execs?  Sure.

Buck and McCarver?  I'd be shocked.  They basically call every national Yanks game the way the TBS announcers called the Dodgers/Philly game last night.  And, on top of that, they suck.  So you usually get bad, anti-Yank announcing.  I don't think there's anything worse......

Together again,
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #836 on: October 16, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »

what a game last night! that was tense. i can't believe the phils bullpen outperformed the dodgers and was able to keep the lead throughout the game. ruiz (aka Senor Octobre) and ibanez came through big time, but my mvp from that game is Park. the guy hasn't pitched in weeks, comes in with a man on 2nd and no outs and all the momentum in dodgers favor, and he starts throwoing 97mph fastballs with movement. unreal.

before the series started, i was thinking dodgers in 6. the dodgers were playing really well, great offense, very good SP, and maybe the best bullpen in the league. the phils have some serious question marks with their SP, but i thought the bullpen was a clear (and huge) advantage for the dodgers. it's only one game, but that first game is so important. i'll still stick with my prediction, but it might be 7 games instead. this series is gonna be a battle.

can't believe they are right back at it at 4:00 today. i need more time to recover, and it would be nice to enjoy this win a little more. 

A couple of things first.

I was at the game last night.  From a baseball standpoint, it was a FANTASTIC game.  The Stadium was a-rockin' the whole game.

And WOW!  The announcers are pro-Dodger?  That has to be a first, I might not cringe so much during the games.

Oh, who am I kidding?  I'm gonna turn down the sound and listen to the golden voice of Vin Scully.  Broadcasting all these years for the Dodgers, and the man has called a neutral game since his first time in the booth. 

The Dodgers didn't lose the game and I can't really say the Phillies won that game.

Joe Torre GAVE that game to the Phillies.

After Kershaw gave up the bomb, he should have been taken out.  You could tell by his body language.  He had three wild pitches, and he walked the goshdarned pitcher.  He obviously wasn't performing well, why was he left in?  Torre was responsible for the next two runs.

And same deal with Sherrill.  He issued two consecutive walks.  He didn't have his stuff, why was he left in there?  The postseason isn't a time for tests, if a pitcher isn't doing his job, PULL HIM!

The only thing that encouraged me last night was the fact that the Dodgers showed some heart.  They didn't roll over and die after those daggers.

I wish I was going to the game today.  Sad

On another baseball site, I picked the Phillies to win 4-1.  I'm sticking to that.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #837 on: October 16, 2009, 03:29:08 PM »

...the way the TBS announcers called the Dodgers/Philly game last night. 

That bad, huh?

I saw most of the game last night but was not in a position to listen to the TBS guys so I've got nothing to go on unfortunately.

Hopefully, we'll get well called (and well played games) today.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #838 on: October 16, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »

Ahh great game today, great starting pitching performances for both teams.........the Phillies bullpen just freaking crapped this down the toilet.  Pedro pitched a great game and Manny was useless in this one. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #839 on: October 16, 2009, 11:20:56 PM »

If the Yankees play like this the next 3 games the Angels are gonna die fast and quiet. They made it look easy tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: