Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:24:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 293052 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #740 on: October 09, 2009, 10:38:13 PM »

Dammit my nerves can't take this much excitement.
I think I might have just had a heart attack!!!  hihi

GAME 2 HERO ...

kudos to A-Rod and Teixeira, too.  Tongue

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #741 on: October 09, 2009, 10:40:01 PM »

That umpire definitely killed the Twins. Can repercussions come down on umpires that screw the game up that bad? I thought I heard once that an umpire was removed from a series due to a terrible call like that...?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #742 on: October 09, 2009, 10:40:27 PM »

GAME 2 HERO ...

A-rod so far is the MVP of this series.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #743 on: October 09, 2009, 10:41:28 PM »

That umpire definitely killed the Twins. Can repercussions come down on umpires that screw the game up that bad? I thought I heard once that an umpire was removed from a series due to a terrible call like that...?

Yes, after every game they get a dvd of the game showing every call they missed and got right.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #744 on: October 09, 2009, 10:42:59 PM »

I knew that, but can they be removed from a series if they screw up a game changing call?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #745 on: October 09, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »

I knew that, but can they be removed from a series if they screw up a game changing call?

That i'm not sure of.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #746 on: October 09, 2009, 11:21:55 PM »

GAME 2 HERO ...

I wonder if Pilferk is alive. He was at the game.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #747 on: October 10, 2009, 09:34:18 AM »

Alive....just getting up, very tired, but alive.

GREAT game!!  2nd game in a row that I've been in that ended in walk off, extra innings fashion.

First off:  The place was LOUD all night.  I guess the criticism from the media that it was quiet on Wednesday fired up the Yank faithful.

Second:  That A-rod home run created complete pandemonium in the stands.  It was like being at the largest frat praty known to man!  AWESOME!!  I'm waiting for D's comments...but I think I can already predict them..."Well, this is just the ALDS, not the WS.  And the WS is all that counts.".  He'll just raise the "expectation bar" as per usual with the A-rod bashers.

Third:  The "bad call"....was bad.  I'm reluctant to say it cost the Twins the game...because who knows how the Yanks would have responded to the double.  I suspect that Marte would have gotten the hook much sooner and things would have been handled differently by the Yanks...so I the REST of the inning might not have played out the same way.  STILL, it was a brutal bad call and I feel for the Twins.  It would definitely have given them a better chance to put a run up that inning.

In that same vein, the ump behind the plate was pretty bad all night, too.  His strike zone was massively inconsistent.  He squeezed Burnett, but seemed to give Blackburn the high and outside strike EVERY time.  The whole stadium thought so, actually.  But sometimes when you're in the stands, it's hard to tell.  So, when I got home, I checked out the recording of the game we'd set up.  There were a couple at bats that stand out, and...sure enough...if you look at the PitchTrax that TBS was showing...they showed strikes for Burnett and balls for Blackburn.  I doubt it had much of an effect...but I add it to my comments only because the officiating for ALL the games seems to have been a bit shoddy.  Aren't these guys supposed to be the best?  Hell, they've got 2 EXTRA umps on the field!

Fourth:  Getting out of that bases loaded jam with no outs almost gave 50,000 fans a collective heart attack. 

Fifth:  The Tex home run that sent us home was probably the most magical sports moment I've ever attended live.   Just unreal.

And then, on the drive home, listening to the Sox lose.....well, that just completed the night for us! Smiley
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:36:08 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #748 on: October 10, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »

A Rod is really coming through. Very impressed with how he is playing!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
sandman
Legend

« Reply #749 on: October 10, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »

that was a great game! the twins had plenty of chances to score runs, but couldn't get it done. their lineup is kinda weak.

the bad call but it didn't cost the twins a thing. no way of knowing what happens next if he's on 2nd. also, they ended up with bases loaded and no outs and couldn't get it done. just an average lineup with very poor at-bats. back to back swings at the first pitch. unreal.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #750 on: October 10, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »

Pujols through 2 games - .167 avg, 0 HR, 0 RBI.
Arod through 2 games - .500 avg, 1 HR, 5 RBI.

I know there are still more games to play, but Pujols better have one HELL of a game three and hope the Cards keep playing...

You do know that Joe Torre has publicly stated "We will not let Albert beat us", don't you?

3 intentional walks and has seen zilch to hit, there's just no comparison....

As for last night s game, giddyup Pilf - well fucking done!

Here's to the Yanks getting out the broom and closing the Homerdome in true Bronx fashion.

Dodgers in the STL tonight, have really got no feeling how this one will go.

Smart money says Holliday gets a standing O his first AB, class all the way....

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #751 on: October 10, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »

Alive....just getting up, very tired, but alive.

GREAT game!!  2nd game in a row that I've been in that ended in walk off, extra innings fashion.

First off:  The place was LOUD all night.  I guess the criticism from the media that it was quiet on Wednesday fired up the Yank faithful.

Second:  That A-rod home run created complete pandemonium in the stands.  It was like being at the largest frat praty known to man!  AWESOME!!  I'm waiting for D's comments...but I think I can already predict them..."Well, this is just the ALDS, not the WS.  And the WS is all that counts.".  He'll just raise the "expectation bar" as per usual with the A-rod bashers.

Third:  The "bad call"....was bad.  I'm reluctant to say it cost the Twins the game...because who knows how the Yanks would have responded to the double.  I suspect that Marte would have gotten the hook much sooner and things would have been handled differently by the Yanks...so I the REST of the inning might not have played out the same way.  STILL, it was a brutal bad call and I feel for the Twins.  It would definitely have given them a better chance to put a run up that inning.

In that same vein, the ump behind the plate was pretty bad all night, too.  His strike zone was massively inconsistent.  He squeezed Burnett, but seemed to give Blackburn the high and outside strike EVERY time.  The whole stadium thought so, actually.  But sometimes when you're in the stands, it's hard to tell.  So, when I got home, I checked out the recording of the game we'd set up.  There were a couple at bats that stand out, and...sure enough...if you look at the PitchTrax that TBS was showing...they showed strikes for Burnett and balls for Blackburn.  I doubt it had much of an effect...but I add it to my comments only because the officiating for ALL the games seems to have been a bit shoddy.  Aren't these guys supposed to be the best?  Hell, they've got 2 EXTRA umps on the field!

Fourth:  Getting out of that bases loaded jam with no outs almost gave 50,000 fans a collective heart attack. 

Fifth:  The Tex home run that sent us home was probably the most magical sports moment I've ever attended live.   Just unreal.

And then, on the drive home, listening to the Sox lose.....well, that just completed the night for us! Smiley

That's exactly what i'm thinking about the missed call. You just don't know how the rest of the inning would have played out if the ump doesn't miss the call. Robertson probably would've come in immediately after it and they would've pitched the rest of the batters with a different approach. The Twins still had bases loaded and no outs and couldn't capitalize. That is unacceptable anytime during the season especially this time. You have to capitalize on those situations period, they didn't and the Yankees did that's why the yankees are up 2-0.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #752 on: October 10, 2009, 03:01:17 PM »

They cancelled the Rockies/Phillies game for today due to snow. 

Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #753 on: October 10, 2009, 04:17:07 PM »

Smart money says Holliday gets a standing O his first AB, class all the way....

St. Politburo General Secretary La Russa has ordered the fans to give him the standing O.

Pineiro will get the job done tonight, this thing is coming back to L.A.

Padilla will go headhunting tonight.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #754 on: October 10, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »

No need for an order from TLR, that's just the way that city will react.

That said, it could get ugly if Franklin comes in late..

I have little faith in Pineiro, he hasn't been sharp of late.  Padilla just the kind of guy that could give the Cards alot trouble.

Why on earth would he go headhunting??

If (and I'm picking the Dodgers) the Cards win tonight I fully expect Carp to go tomorrow (if possible) and for him to have better location/command than Wednesday.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #755 on: October 10, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »

That's about as good as it gets, I get the same satisfaction whenever the Cards win and Cubs lose. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

sandman
Legend

« Reply #756 on: October 10, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »

That's about as good as it gets, I get the same satisfaction whenever the Cards win and Cubs lose. yes

pilferk - i thought you didn't cheer AGAINST teams. i knew you had it in ya!  hihi

but more seriously, aren't the red sox a better matchup for the yanks? they owned them after the 8 straight losses early in the season, and it just seems the angels are clearly the better team. but i don't watch many AL games throughout the year.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #757 on: October 10, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »

Cards are dead in the water..

3 for 25 with RISP, can't buy a run...

Here's to the Dodgers and Phils moving onward in the NL...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #758 on: October 10, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »

Well so much for the Cards pitching being much better then the Yanks in the WS.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #759 on: October 10, 2009, 09:30:15 PM »

pilferk - i thought you didn't cheer AGAINST teams. i knew you had it in ya!  hihi

but more seriously, aren't the red sox a better matchup for the yanks? they owned them after the 8 straight losses early in the season, and it just seems the angels are clearly the better team. but i don't watch many AL games throughout the year.

The Angels honestly scare the crap out of me but to be the best you gotta beat the best. The yanks did take 2 of 3 in anaheim at the end of the season so thats something to build on and we'll have home field.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: