Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:19:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 292983 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #680 on: October 03, 2009, 09:33:46 PM »

BLUE JAYS FIRE GENERAL MANAGER RICCIARDI AFTER EIGHT SEASONS

BALTIMORE -- The Toronto Blue Jays fired general manager J.P. Ricciardi on Saturday, ending an eventful eight-year reign marked by frequent controversy and mediocre teams never good enough to reach the post-season.

Montreal native Alex Anthopoulos, vice-president of baseball operations and assistant general manager, takes over from Ricciardi, whose firing was widely expected.

"We've made a tough decision today," interim CEO Paul Beeston said at a news conference. "Alex comes with six years working with the Blue Jays and working with J.P. He knows the organization, he knows the players, he knows the farm system, he knows the scouts, and we're very, very pleased he's accepted the role."

Earlier, Beeston met privately with a small group of players, and later with the team as a whole in the clubhouse.

Ricciardi, who joined the Jays in 2001, had one year left on his contract. The 75-85 Jays are finishing off a mediocre season in Baltimore, with the team embroiled in locker-room unrest with manager Cito Gaston.

Ricciardi declined to comment in an email sent to The Canadian Press.

Anthopoulos, 32, becomes just the fifth Canadian to serve as GM of a big-league team. Current Milwaukee Brewers GM Doug Melvin, Gord Ash, Murray Cook and George Selkirk are the others.

"I won't have a lot for you today in terms of specifics on direction, things like that, it's been a bit of a whirlwind for me," said Anthopoulos, who plans to lay out his plan down the road. "The arrow is pointing up with this organization, it may not seem that way right now, but there's a lot to look forward to."

Many fans will wonder what took so long as Ricciardi, along with centre-fielder Vernon Wells, had become the lightning rod for those most frustrated with the team's playoff drought, which dates back to 1993 when the Blue Jays won their second straight World Series.

The best finish by one of Ricciardi's clubs came in 2006, when the Blue Jays went 87-75 to finish second in the AL East. But they never got within a sniff of the post-season and only the 2008 squad played any kind of meaningful September games, and of the too-little-too-late variety at that.

"I think at times he received some unfair criticism," said ace Roy Halladay. "But I guess being the head of something that isn't performing, you're going to draw that. It's hard for me because he was a great supporter of me, a great friend and the guy wanted to win."

The 2009 campaign was like a microcosm of his tenure as GM. There was a hopeful start, a sudden collapse, a lack of resources to turn things around, a spate of injuries, some painful decisions related to bad contracts and ultimately, pessimism for the future.

Adding to the pain felt by Blue Jays fans this year was the clumsily handled Halladay trade talks, which some believe robbed Ricciardi of his remaining credibility and sealed his demise. Ricciardi essentially took every media call he could for a month in a bid to try and create pressure on other teams to overpay for the ace, and in the end couldn't get a deal done.

Ricciardi's firing may finally lead to the installation of a long-term plan for building up the floundering club.

The Blue Jays have seemed aimless since Paul Godfrey stepped down as president and CEO following the 2008 season, and have focused on moving toward profitability under Beeston.

A lengthy search for a permanent replacement continues and the lack of a definitive vision for the future has left the Blue Jays spinning their wheels in the mud, with their fan base rapidly declining.

"Is there any surprise that there's fan discontent when we don't win as many games as we would have hoped?" said Tony Viner, the president and CEO of Rogers Media, the division of team owner Rogers Communications Inc., that oversees the Blue Jays. "Not just the fans are not content with that, we're not content with it. We think it's good to stabilize the franchise and we think we're in good shape going forward."

Either way, Ricciardi won't be part of it, and despite how polarizing a figure he was, his often off-the-cuff style sure kept things interesting.

He had countless memorable quotes over the years, perhaps the definitive one coming during a radio show while taking calls from fans.

"It's not a lie if we know the truth," he said about the back injury story concocted for B.J. Ryan when the left-hander was actually having elbow issues in 2007.

Ricciardi infamously trashed Adam Dunn on the same radio show in 2008, telling a caller, "Do you know the guy doesn't really like baseball that much? Do you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much? ... I don't think you'd be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here."

Ricciardi attacked other players, too.

"When a guy talks about coming to our place where he has a chance to win and compete against the Yankees and the Red Sox, and then he goes to a place like Kansas City, that's an eye-opener," he said of Gil Meche after the right-hander spurned Toronto to sign with Kansas City in the winter of 2006.

Royals manager Buddy Bell defended his player by saying Ricciardi was, "a little guy with a big mouth and all he does is whine. ... Every time I hear this guy talk, all he's doing is whining."

Ricciardi also twice caused spats by publicly wondering if A.J. Burnett's injuries were simply in his head.

Ricciardi triggered controversies for many other reasons, too.

He was criticized for including an opt-out clause in Burnett's contract, for giving Frank Thomas an US$18-million, two-year deal with a vesting option, and for signing Ryan to a $47-million, five-year deal.

Burnett left to become a free agent last fall, Thomas had to be cut in the second season at a cost of around $8 million, and Ryan was released in July with $15 million left on his contract.

Other bad contracts he signed included a $17-million, three-year deal for Canadian Corey Koskie and of course, the monster deals for Wells and Alex Rios.

Wells has five years remaining on his $127-million, seven-year deal, an albatross contract that will handcuff the club for many seasons to come. The team managed to escape the $60 million remaining on Rios's deal when he was claimed off waivers by the White Sox, but Ricciardi got nothing in return.

The Blue Jays also had a spotty record in the draft under Ricciardi, who produced several decent major-leaguers but very few elite players.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #681 on: October 04, 2009, 02:30:32 AM »

FINALLY!!!!!

Alright Falcon, it's on!  Are you going to grace Los Angeles with your presence?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #682 on: October 04, 2009, 01:39:04 PM »

FINALLY!!!!!

Alright Falcon, it's on!  Are you going to grace Los Angeles with your presence?

Unfortunately not, would love to but logistically impossible damnit.

Cards are coming in limping, hopefully Carpenter and Wainwright can do what they do and steal one (or two) in LA and get it back to the STL and the Sea of Red..

Should be a helluva series.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #683 on: October 04, 2009, 05:35:08 PM »

FINALLY!!!!!

Unfortunately not, would love to but logistically impossible damnit.

Cards are coming in limping, hopefully Carpenter and Wainwright can do what they do and steal one (or two) in LA and get it back to the STL and the Sea of Red..

Should be a helluva series.

Your Redbirds tanked it on purpose.  Everyone wants a piece of the Dodgers.  Philly is going to have their hands full with the red-hot Rockies.

I'm posting this picture just for fun, I respect the Cardinals, their history, and their fans, and I will continue to do so, win or lose.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #684 on: October 04, 2009, 07:09:01 PM »

Your Redbirds tanked it on purpose.  Everyone wants a piece of the Dodgers.  Philly is going to have their hands full with the red-hot Rockies.

I wish that was indeed the case but LaRussa does not allow tanking - his mantra is "Play a hard nine every day". 

Quite frankly - they have just played bad since they clinched and better get their shit together or the Dodgers will dispose of them in short order.

Looks like times and pitching pairings have been announced:

Carpenter/Wolf Wednesday 8:37 CST
Wainwright/Kershaw Thursday 5:07 CST

The Cards have historically struggled against lefties and Carp and Waino have been lights out against the Dodgers this year.

Baseball as it should be - Cards/Dodgers playing in October.

Doesn't get much fucking better than this. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #685 on: October 04, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »

I wish that was indeed the case but LaRussa does not allow tanking - his mantra is "Play a hard nine every day". 

Quite frankly - they have just played bad since they clinched and better get their shit together or the Dodgers will dispose of them in short order.

Looks like times and pitching pairings have been announced:

Carpenter/Wolf Wednesday 8:37 CST
Wainwright/Kershaw Thursday 5:07 CST

The Cards have historically struggled against lefties and Carp and Waino have been lights out against the Dodgers this year.

Baseball as it should be - Cards/Dodgers playing in October.

Doesn't get much fucking better than this. yes

The last time the Dodgers won 95 games and faced the Cards in the playoffs...it was 1985.  (Go crazy folks!  Go crazy!)

A baseball start time of 3:07 PST???  That's the game I'm going to, this is absolutely ridiculous.  At least I won't have to wear something warm.  That means I have to get to the Stadium at around 12:30 (Not ALL L.A. fans arrive in the 3rd inning and leave in the 7th).

Carpenter/Wainright 1-2 KO.  No chance against those studs, unless the smog gets to them.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #686 on: October 04, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »

The last time the Dodgers won 95 games and faced the Cards in the playoffs...it was 1985.  (Go crazy folks!  Go crazy!)

Ah yes, the Wizard goes yard in Game 5 and Jack the Ripper's game 6 blast still hasn't landed ("We may go to the World Series on that one folks!")

Where's Tom Niedenfuer when ya need him?

Easily the most intriguing of all the first round matchups, should be a helluva series.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #687 on: October 06, 2009, 09:59:08 AM »

A baseball start time of 3:07 PST??? 

Looks like this gametime has been changed to a TBD...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #688 on: October 06, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »

A baseball start time of 3:07 PST??? 

Looks like this gametime has been changed to a TBD...

Oh don't worry, the Yankees will fuck us over and laugh about it in their $2,500 Legends Suite seats while munching on crab legs.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #689 on: October 06, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »

Don't forget the tasty filet mignon ok
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #690 on: October 06, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »

Well that sure was an exciting game to decide who gets the honor of being swept by the Yankees.  Congratulations Twins!

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #691 on: October 06, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »

That WAS a very good game.

I hope this was a small taste of what's to come this October.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #692 on: October 07, 2009, 10:37:58 AM »

Yep, good game indeed although playing baseball in that God foresaken cavern known as the Metrodome borders on blasphemy - here's to the Yanks disposing of the Twinks in short order..

As for the Cards/Dodgers...

Heart says the Redbirds but the head says the Dodgers in 4.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #693 on: October 07, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »

Rule of thumb...always take pitching in a short series.  Just picking based on pitching matchups, I'd expect three of four picks to be correct, in any given year...so here are my bets:

ALDS
NYY vs. MIN
---Unless there's some serious momentum, Yanks have the edge.  I'd take NYY in four.  Then again, there's that high the Twins are on...

BOS vs. LAA
---This should be obvious, but it seems like the Sox pitching is down some this year.  But I'll still take the Sox in five.

NLDS
COL vs. PHI
---I like any matchup where Philly starts Lee, but I think the other starter matchups generally favor Colorado.  Then again, if it goes five, they have to face Lee twice.  As a Cubs fan, I'm all too aware that Marquis has a hot first half and a cold second half, so I look for Philly to win games 1, 4, and 5 to take the series.

STL vs. LAD
---No question that St. Louis has the pitching advantage.  IF Los Angeles can squeak by with a win against Wainwright, then they can pull it out.  But a five game series means facing Carpenter twice and, barring La Rusa getting hammered and running him over, I'd take St. Louis any time Carpenter is pitching.  STL in three...and it kills me to say it.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #694 on: October 07, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »

That 17 for the last 21 is kind of a scary number for the Yanks... Hope they dont take these guys to lightly.. But I have confidence

Go Yanks!!!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #695 on: October 07, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »

i was certain the yanks would make it to the WS, but now i'm having doubts. the twins are dangerous right now, especially in a short series.

the phils have major pitching problems. the bullpen is a mess with lidge being worthless this year, and several injuries to key middle innings guys. and their SP has been inconsistent at best. their reign as world champs will be ending soon.

predictions....

Cards in 4.
Phils in 5.
Yanks in 3.
Angels in 4.

Cards in 6.
Yanks in 6.

Yanks over the Cards in 7. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #696 on: October 07, 2009, 01:40:55 PM »

I'd take St. Louis any time Carpenter is pitching. 

Carp is as nasty as they come, filthy as fuck with the pissiest disposition in the biz.  Like a shark smelling blood when he gets a lead - gets it/throws it and doesn't screw around.

I'm just not sold on the Cards bullpen and have little faith in them against lefties.  Wolf/Kershaw could match Carpenter/Wainwright pitch for pitch leaving it to the relievers to hold down the fort - that's a clear edge to the Dodgers.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #697 on: October 07, 2009, 01:45:47 PM »

I'd take St. Louis any time Carpenter is pitching. 

Carp is as nasty as they come, filthy as fuck with the pissiest disposition in the biz.  Like a shark smelling blood when he gets a lead - gets it/throws it and doesn't screw around.

Ahh, reminds me of Kid Drysdale.

Heart, well, I don't have one, but the head says Cards in 3. 
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #698 on: October 07, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »

That 17 for the last 21 is kind of a scary number for the Yanks... Hope they dont take these guys to lightly.. But I have confidence

Go Yanks!!!

It IS impressive.  No question.

But, on the flips side of the coin, here's who they played over that 21 games:

Oakland x1
Cleveland x3
Detroit x 8 (4 @ Detroit)
KC x 6 (3 @ KC)
Chicago x3 (all 3 @ Chicago).

With the exception of the spiralling Tigers...it's not like they were playing a whole lot of quality competition.

Again, still impressive and still something to worry about if you're a Yanks fan (or if you're just rooting for them). 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #699 on: October 07, 2009, 02:33:59 PM »

i was certain the yanks would make it to the WS, but now i'm having doubts. the twins are dangerous right now, especially in a short series.

the phils have major pitching problems. the bullpen is a mess with lidge being worthless this year, and several injuries to key middle innings guys. and their SP has been inconsistent at best. their reign as world champs will be ending soon.

predictions....

Cards in 4.
Phils in 5.
Yanks in 3.
Angels in 4.

Cards in 6.
Yanks in 6.

Yanks over the Cards in 7. 

Man, I HOPE you're right.  But the Cards are TOUGH.  I think the Yanks and the Cards are the two best teams in baseball, right now, top to bottom.  It's actually the series I REALLY want to see as a baseball fan, but am most afraid of as a Yanks fan. 

Gonna be a fun post-season, I think.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: