Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 04:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 292812 times)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #580 on: September 05, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »

Cardinal Nation sure had a lot of blue blotches splattered about in July.  Wink

I assume you're speaking of a Cubs series?  Seen many of those a long the way here as well, great stuff.  Nice to see the Cubbies being the Cubbies, 101 years of frustration continues..

Well, those losers travel everywhere.  I heckled the *#@$* out of them at a Dodger game a few weeks ago.

I was talking about the Dodgers/Cards series.  I was just checking out some attendance numbers, and the Dodgers are the highest drawing road team.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #581 on: September 05, 2009, 06:31:41 PM »

Well, those losers travel everywhere.  I heckled the *#@$* out of them at a Dodger game a few weeks ago.

Good man, they should be abused verbally at every opportunity. yes

I was talking about the Dodgers/Cards series.  I was just checking out some attendance numbers, and the Dodgers are the highest drawing road team.

Not surprising, everyone comes out to hammer ManRam - another opportunity that should always be taken advantage of at every chance. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #582 on: September 05, 2009, 07:32:23 PM »

Haha, hammering a ManRam. 

Good man, they should be abused verbally at every opportunity. yes

They were leaving in the 7th, and I let them hear it.  Among some of the things I said that I would repeat in front of my mom were, "Back to Wrigley, yuppie scum!" and "I thought only Dodgers fans left early?"

The sad thing is they all took my abuse and no one fought back.  This chick even laughed.  I hate fans that have no passion.  What a bunch of losers.  Their whole M.O. is about losing.  That's the only reason Wrigley Field is standing, it's a mecca for losers everywhere.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:34:16 PM by Obsolete » Logged
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #583 on: September 05, 2009, 07:43:35 PM »

when I first got cable, Mel Allen was calling the games!!!! headbanger

and there wasn't any commercials between innings!!! even not between the half innings!!!

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #584 on: September 05, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »

So what's everyone's thoughts on what Derek Jeter is about to accomplish? Becoming the all time yankee hits leader passing the iron horse Lou Gehrig sometime during the coming homestand most likely. This is a special accomplishment imo. I know Jeter is not one to really enjoy personal stats and is always about what's best for the team but with this i hope he steps back and enjoys what he is about to do just a little bit.
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #585 on: September 05, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »

I'm glad he's gonna do it at home!!!  beer

I know Jeter is not one to really enjoy personal stats and is always about what's best for the team but with this i hope he steps back and enjoys what he is about to do just a little bit.
I don't understand what people are expecting him to do besides tip his cap to the fans??  There'll be a game going on!!!

It would be nice if the Yankees organization had fireworks set up to go off when he does ... but other than that, I really don't expect too much "celebration" during the game.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #586 on: September 05, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »

I'm glad he's gonna do it at home!!!  beer

I know Jeter is not one to really enjoy personal stats and is always about what's best for the team but with this i hope he steps back and enjoys what he is about to do just a little bit.
I don't understand what people are expecting him to do besides tip his cap to the fans??  There'll be a game going on!!!

It would be nice if the Yankees organization had fireworks set up to go off when he does ... but other than that, I really don't expect too much "celebration" during the game.

I don't expect him to do much during the game if anything. I know he will get a standing ovation like paul o'neill got though in his last inning in the outfield in the 01 world series. I just hope he takes some time to think about this accomplishment and really enjoy what he did. Even his parents have told him he never enjoys any personal goals he's reached during his career and said this one he should enjoy a bit. Its hard to believe with all the things the yankees have done that they don't have a 3000 hit player and that Jeter will undoubtedly be their first.
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #587 on: September 05, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »

Even his parents have told him he never enjoys any personal goals he's reached during his career and said this one he should enjoy a bit.
In no way am I suggesting that I know how Derek or his family feels about 'celebrating' his many accomplishments but just from the demeanor they've displayed over the years, I would think by them telling him to "enjoy" this particular achievement, they actually are suggesting to Derek that maybe this time he should "allow" the Yankees organization and his fans to honor him in a very public way.

One of the great things about watching the Yankees games is when the cameras show Derek's parents reacting to whatever is going on on the field.  If you didn't know you were watching the parents of a superstar player, you could mistake them for just any other parents watching their six-year-old playing a Little League game.  No boast ... just pride and support for their child.  Cool

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #588 on: September 05, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »

Im still not sold on the Yankee pitching though......... Those bats will cool off in October...... can the Yanks staff hold teams down?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #589 on: September 05, 2009, 11:47:59 PM »

They were leaving in the 7th, and I let them hear it.  Among some of the things I said that I would repeat in front of my mom were, "Back to Wrigley, yuppie scum!" and "I thought only Dodgers fans left early?"

Awesome - my disgust for everything Cub is only rivaled by my disdain for everything Red Sawk with the Cubs still holding s sizeable lead.

As for Jeter - a curtain call and a hat tip, less is more.  Pure class.

Obsolete - Would like to see a few shots of the Dodger Stadium pictorial, one of the most pituresque settings there is.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:56:04 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #590 on: September 05, 2009, 11:56:57 PM »

Im still not sold on the Yankee pitching though......... Those bats will cool off in October...... can the Yanks staff hold teams down?
I'm not so sure about that. This offense is getting big clutch hits like the teams in the 90s were getting, something they've been missing the last several years. I think Sabathia and pettite will. I'm not too sure about burnett he's been hot and cold lately and chamberlain they're fucking with too much for the poor guy to be consistent. They need to stop their joba rules bullshit and let that kid go. If burnett and chamberlain can get back on track this last month they're gonna be tough come october.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #591 on: September 05, 2009, 11:58:33 PM »

Even his parents have told him he never enjoys any personal goals he's reached during his career and said this one he should enjoy a bit.
In no way am I suggesting that I know how Derek or his family feels about 'celebrating' his many accomplishments but just from the demeanor they've displayed over the years, I would think by them telling him to "enjoy" this particular achievement, they actually are suggesting to Derek that maybe this time he should "allow" the Yankees organization and his fans to honor him in a very public way.

One of the great things about watching the Yankees games is when the cameras show Derek's parents reacting to whatever is going on on the field.  If you didn't know you were watching the parents of a superstar player, you could mistake them for just any other parents watching their six-year-old playing a Little League game.  No boast ... just pride and support for their child.  Cool

I sure hope they do a little something at least. He deserves to enjoy this one. I hope he gets it on the homestand this week. I think he will with how hot he has been the last month or so.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #592 on: September 06, 2009, 03:33:14 PM »

Awesome - my disgust for everything Cub is only rivaled by my disdain for everything Red Sawk with the Cubs still holding s sizeable lead.

As for Jeter - a curtain call and a hat tip, less is more.  Pure class.

Obsolete - Would like to see a few shots of the Dodger Stadium pictorial, one of the most pituresque settings there is.

I'll post some of the "glamour shots."  If there is anything obscure you would like to see, let me know as well.  I can do day game or night game.  hihi

(P.S. I'm 8-4 at Dodger Stadium this year)

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #593 on: September 06, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »

I was three months old for this one!

View from the Vin Scully Press Box

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #594 on: September 06, 2009, 03:42:52 PM »

This one reminds of the Real Yankee Stadium

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #595 on: September 07, 2009, 06:14:58 PM »

Nice pics for sure, very cool. ok

D - I think the Yanks pitching will be just fine, still the team to beat to me.

Carpenter was absolutely filthy (again) today for the Cards and Albert continues to be, well Albert.

Do the Cards go 2 for 2 with NL MVP/Cy Young winners?

Albert's a mortal lock for his 3rd MVP (should be 4 or 5 but that's another story) but will Wainwright and Carpenter split votes and have Lincecum take down his second straight?

Any of the 3 are deserving, going to be interesting to follow.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:23:36 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #596 on: September 07, 2009, 09:38:46 PM »

Extremely happy tonight, not only cause the Yanks are about to take 2 from the Rays today, but because MLB Network isn't blacked out this evening here and I don't have to listen to Michael freakin' Kay! Hello Bob Costas and Jim Kaat. ok
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #597 on: September 08, 2009, 01:55:10 AM »

Extremely happy tonight, not only cause the Yanks are about to take 2 from the Rays today, but because MLB Network isn't blacked out this evening here and I don't have to listen to Michael freakin' Kay! Hello Bob Costas and Jim Kaat. ok

I don't mind Kay as long as he's with Cone or O'neill but anyone else ugh.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #598 on: September 08, 2009, 08:30:28 AM »

Team ERA = 4.34 (equal to Boston's).  The White Sox, Rangers, and Detroit's are slightly better (Seattle's is MUCH better, but no chance they see the playoffs), better by around 0.1 to 0.2.

The Yanks ERA in the 2nd half has actually been even better than that at 3.96.

C.C. and Andy have been stellar, especially lately.  I'm not too worried about them. 

AJ has been inconsistent (and in some cases unlucky).  He looked pretty good after the 2nd, yesterday...hopefully he's putting it back together.  He just needs to get that fastball to dive low and away...and he got that going after the 2nd.  Lets see if he can carry it through the next start.

Joba is the great unknown...and he'd see a max of 2 starts in the post season, I think. Game 4 in the ALCS and game 4 of the WS (assuming they make it to either).

The biggest question facing the Yanks right now is "Who is your game 2 starter."  I'm not sure, right now, which direction I'd go.  I think I'm leaning toward Andy, because he's a wily vetran pitcher and he's a nice "contrast" to C.C., which might mess with batter's timing.

And we'll have to see about Yanks bats cooling off.  If they get home field through the playoffs...that's going to be a HUGE advantage for them.  I don't see a whole lot of AL pitching staffs that really scare me past their #2 guy, either.   I think, pitcher for pitcher, we match up pretty well with the potential playoff teams.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #599 on: September 08, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »

Team ERA = 4.34 (equal to Boston's).  The White Sox, Rangers, and Detroit's are slightly better (Seattle's is MUCH better, but no chance they see the playoffs), better by around 0.1 to 0.2.

The Yanks ERA in the 2nd half has actually been even better than that at 3.96.

C.C. and Andy have been stellar, especially lately.  I'm not too worried about them. 

AJ has been inconsistent (and in some cases unlucky).  He looked pretty good after the 2nd, yesterday...hopefully he's putting it back together.  He just needs to get that fastball to dive low and away...and he got that going after the 2nd.  Lets see if he can carry it through the next start.

Joba is the great unknown...and he'd see a max of 2 starts in the post season, I think. Game 4 in the ALCS and game 4 of the WS (assuming they make it to either).

The biggest question facing the Yanks right now is "Who is your game 2 starter."  I'm not sure, right now, which direction I'd go.  I think I'm leaning toward Andy, because he's a wily vetran pitcher and he's a nice "contrast" to C.C., which might mess with batter's timing.

And we'll have to see about Yanks bats cooling off.  If they get home field through the playoffs...that's going to be a HUGE advantage for them.  I don't see a whole lot of AL pitching staffs that really scare me past their #2 guy, either.   I think, pitcher for pitcher, we match up pretty well with the potential playoff teams.

AJ also pitched very well against texas. He just made that one bad pitch after the two walks. It seems like he just isn't really comfortable pitching in a scoreless or close game lately. Once he had that huge lead last night he was lights out. A lot of his problem is he is more of a thrower then a pitcher. He never really learned to pitch. They were talking about it on the mlb network broadcast last night.

Game 2 starter for me in any series is absolutely Andy Pettitte especially if we should lose a close game 1 pitcher duel. He has historically been a stopper a guy that comes up big when we need a win.

Joba is a bit concerning. He was doing just fine for the most part until they started screwing with him. I hope he can get back on track the last month and maybe be the no.3 starter in the playoffs. If not my choice would be Mitre. He has consistently gotten better as he went on. His second to last start was great until he took the liner off the arm. In his last start he was victimized by embarrassing defense. That start was not his fault. I was embarrassed to be even watching that game. So many errors and mental lapses. I can only imagine the chewing out they got from Girardi after that one.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: