Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 292720 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #520 on: August 24, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »

Overall another good weekend for the yanks vs the red sux!!

Well excepts for Burnett's abortion, hope he can fix that shit

As a Yanks fan, the results sure were nice.

The quality of baseball, though....not so much.  Sloppy defense, sloppy pitching (in games 1 and 2) all around.  There was some satisfaction watching the Yanks put up 20 runs on Friday...but even that game was hard to watch. Bad defense, bad baserunning...not good baseball.  The Saturday abortion was impossible.  I can't stand Buck and McCarver on the BEST of days.  That, combined with the abysmal yankee pitching and defense, and I didn't last too long.  Last night wasn't much better.  Cano with 2 errors, bad fielding, bad officiating (inconsistent strike zone, to say the least).....the only thing that kept me in it was the relatively close (because in Yanks/Sox is ANY lead really "big enough"?) score.

The win on Saturday kept the fat lady waiting in the wings for the Sox, in terms of winning the AL East.  But Yanks add an other 1/2 game or more to that lead (ie: if the Sox lose tonight)...and, IMHO, the fat lady's taking her cue, grabbing the spot, and shattering some glass.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #521 on: August 24, 2009, 11:11:48 AM »

I didn't get to see much of the first two games other than highlights, but saw most of last nights game.... I was swearing up and down at Cano for calling Teixeira off of that pop fly  no

All in all it was nice to gain a game in the division, and the wild card is shaping up to be a barn burner!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #522 on: August 24, 2009, 08:06:42 PM »

I didn't get to see much of the first two games other than highlights, but saw most of last nights game.... I was swearing up and down at Cano for calling Teixeira off of that pop fly  no

All in all it was nice to gain a game in the division, and the wild card is shaping up to be a barn burner!

I thought Teixeira had that all the way. I can't believe he let Cano call him off. Wtf was he thinking? I hope Girardi tore Cano a new hole for his lackluster defense this weekend. If he doesn't shape up another benching is gonna be in order.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #523 on: August 24, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »

The quality of baseball, though....not so much.  Sloppy defense, sloppy pitching (in games 1 and 2) all around. 

Indeed, very rough to watch.

I find American League baseball that way in general though, it's like watching slow pitch softball with kegs on both benches.

That said..

The Yanks seem like the clear favorite to win it all - would love to see a tradition rich Cards/Yanks World Series..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #524 on: August 24, 2009, 10:11:04 PM »

Yeah I hate to admit it but the Yankees are obviously the best team in baseball, RIGHT NOW!  I keep expecting (or rather hoping) them to cool off and come back down to earth but it just isn't happening.  They're hitting on all cylindars right now.  Will it continue into October?  That remains to be seen.  It's hard to keep up such a high level of play for so long.  Not saying they can't do it, but it's not easy.  Remember the Rockies in 2007.  They ended the regular season on a ridiculous run and stormed into the World Series only to get swept.  By the way, they're in the process of doing it again this year.  They've made up some serious ground on the Dodgers to close the gap to 3 1/2 games.  Aside from the Yanks, they're playing the best. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, all that matters is how you play in October.  Of course you have to get there first and it's nice to have a banner regular season.  But if you win 114 games like the Mariners that one year and don't win it all, is it really worth it in the end?  We've seen plenty of wild card teams win it all in recent years.  It's nice to have home field of course but it's been proven that it's not necessary.  Should be some pretty interesting races down the stretch, as always.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #525 on: August 24, 2009, 10:28:44 PM »

As a die hard yank fan I'm glad i didn't see the game on Saturday   hihi But i did see the two wins on Friday and Sunday night.....while they were sloppily played games (cano looked like a basket case in the field last night) Ill take the wins anyway we can get em ok

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #526 on: August 24, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »

Yeah I hate to admit it but the Yankees are obviously the best team in baseball, RIGHT NOW! 

I think the Cards and Phils are both more fundamentally sound and have the starting pitching/ lineups that could stretch the Yankees to 6 or 7 games.  Unfortunately for both, neither have the bullpen/closer to finish them off.

Mo is the difference maker for NY, the best in the business...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #527 on: August 25, 2009, 12:23:33 AM »

Yeah I hate to admit it but the Yankees are obviously the best team in baseball, RIGHT NOW! 

I think the Cards and Phils are both more fundamentally sound and have the starting pitching/ lineups that could stretch the Yankees to 6 or 7 games.  Unfortunately for both, neither have the bullpen/closer to finish them off.

Yep and he seems to keep getting better too. He's having the best stretch of his career at 39.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #528 on: August 25, 2009, 12:26:09 AM »

Yeah I hate to admit it but the Yankees are obviously the best team in baseball, RIGHT NOW!  I keep expecting (or rather hoping) them to cool off and come back down to earth but it just isn't happening.  They're hitting on all cylindars right now.  Will it continue into October?  That remains to be seen.  It's hard to keep up such a high level of play for so long.  Not saying they can't do it, but it's not easy.  Remember the Rockies in 2007.  They ended the regular season on a ridiculous run and stormed into the World Series only to get swept.  By the way, they're in the process of doing it again this year.  They've made up some serious ground on the Dodgers to close the gap to 3 1/2 games.  Aside from the Yanks, they're playing the best. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, all that matters is how you play in October.  Of course you have to get there first and it's nice to have a banner regular season.  But if you win 114 games like the Mariners that one year and don't win it all, is it really worth it in the end?  We've seen plenty of wild card teams win it all in recent years.  It's nice to have home field of course but it's been proven that it's not necessary.  Should be some pretty interesting races down the stretch, as always.

The yanks have been doing this more more then just a bit though. They've been playing .700 ball for more than half the season. That's unreal. Will their hitters hit good pitching in october. Will their pitchers pitch like they have been in october? That remains to be seen, but the way they're playing right now they're gonna win the division in a walk.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #529 on: August 25, 2009, 07:52:48 AM »

I thought Teixeira had that all the way. I can't believe he let Cano call him off. Wtf was he thinking? I hope Girardi tore Cano a new hole for his lackluster defense this weekend. If he doesn't shape up another benching is gonna be in order.

I'd bet he was thinking: Better to let him drop it than to risk a collision that might take one, or both of us, out of the game.  Besides...it's ALWAYS the middle infielders call.  That's pounded into you very early on.

As for Cano:  His defense has been pretty stellar this season...right up until this weekend.  I've actually been impressed by how much he's improved.  But this weekend.....ye gods it was horrible.

Can't hit in Oakland, can't play D in Boston???  I don't know.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #530 on: August 25, 2009, 07:57:36 AM »

Indeed, very rough to watch.

I find American League baseball that way in general though, it's like watching slow pitch softball with kegs on both benches.

That said..

The Yanks seem like the clear favorite to win it all - would love to see a tradition rich Cards/Yanks World Series..

And Yanks/Sox games, in general, are marathon affairs.  Part of it (though the media won't ever admit it) is because so many are on national TV, and the mandated commercial breaks/breaks between innings, are so long.  But the other part (and it's a good chunk) is the way they play each other.  If you're watching a Yanks/Sox game....you better be ready to commit 4 hours of your life to it, at least.

I'm not sure I'm ready to call the Yanks the favorite to win the WS.  Certainly to win the AL East (obviously) and probably for the Pennant (with the way the Angels have fallen off, of late).  But there are a couple of REALLY good teams in the NL that are dangerous. 

And the way things are going....it might be an "old vs new" WS (Yanks vs Rockies).  Colorado is on FIRE.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #531 on: August 25, 2009, 08:02:01 AM »

Agree.

The other big difference is the Yanks would have home field in the WS...and the new Stadium is a pretty big advantage for them.  They seem tailor made for that park and they're winning there (especially since mi-June) at a frightening pace.  Good teams, bad teams....doesn't matter.  We'll see if it has any effect come play off time.

That's what the Yanks need to gun for: Home field throughout the playoffs.  That would be a pretty big advantage, IMHO.

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #532 on: August 25, 2009, 10:49:14 AM »

right now the only team that would have a chance vs the Yanks is the Phils (assuming Yanks have homefield throughout). they play in a similiar stadium so the homefield would be mitigated a little. and player for player the Phils are right there with any team in the league. also, the story line of the Phils facing Sabbathia would be interesting since he was clearly rattled when the phils scored 5 runs off him in game 2 last year. for me, myers 9-pitch AB followed by rollins 4-pitch walk and victorino's grand slam might be the greatest sporting moment i've even seen live.   

and right now, cliff lee is the best pitcher in baseball. in 5 starts with the Phils...5-0 with a 0.68 ERA, two complete games, 6 walks, 39 strikeouts in 40 innings. a writer for CNN.com made the same CC comparison someone mentioned here.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #533 on: August 25, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »

Remember the Rockies in 2007.  They ended the regular season on a ridiculous run and stormed into the World Series only to get swept.

There a few reasons for this... Yes the Rockies were great during their stretch BUT they are in the NL, and AL is just a consistently better overall league... Plus the Rockies had 9 days off before the world series which I think hurt them facing a MUCH better team in the Red Sux..

Besides...it's ALWAYS the middle infielders call.  That's pounded into you very early on.

Did you see that play though?? When Tex had to back up only a few steps, and Cano had to sprint part of the way to get there... He had no business near the foul line!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #534 on: August 25, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »

BUT they are in the NL, and AL is just a consistently better overall league...

PLEASE!

It's pretty even.  The All-Star game is BS anyway, I look at World Series results.

2000- Yankees, A.L.
2001- Diamondbacks, N.L.
2002- Angels, A.L.
2003- Marlins, N.L.
2004- Red Sox, A.L.
2005- White Sox, A.L.
2006- Cardinals, N.L.
2007- Red Sox, A.L.
2008- Phillies, N.L.

Seems pretty even to me.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #535 on: August 25, 2009, 01:40:56 PM »

and right now, cliff lee is the best pitcher in baseball.

Arguably so, though I'd throw Chris Carpenter in the mix as well.  Ten straight wins, leads the world in ERA and has the big game experience and surly demeanor to grind it out even without having his best stuff on any given night.

How 'bout a Lee/Carpenter Game 7 matchup to decide the NL Pennant?  Now that would be something to see.

Pilf - Not sold on the Rockies (yet), although I'd bet they run down the highly overrated Dodgers
in the west before it's all said and done.

For the most part, I'll stick with my Yankees prediction til they prove me wrong - it'll be interesting to follow through October..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #536 on: August 25, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »

Pilf - Not sold on the Rockies (yet), although I'd bet they run down the highly overrated Dodgers
in the west before it's all said and done.

Kinda overrated, but Los Angeles' September schedule is a cakewalk.  That, and the Rockies lost Cook to the DL.

If Torre knew how to manage (especially the bullpen), the Dodgers would not be in the mess they are in right now.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #537 on: August 25, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »

PLEASE!

It's pretty even.  The All-Star game is BS anyway, I look at World Series results.

2000- Yankees, A.L.
2001- Diamondbacks, N.L.
2002- Angels, A.L.
2003- Marlins, N.L.
2004- Red Sox, A.L.
2005- White Sox, A.L.
2006- Cardinals, N.L.
2007- Red Sox, A.L.
2008- Phillies, N.L.

Seems pretty even to me.

You're right in that sense(Although AL is up 1 lol), but i'm sure if you look @ win % and standings during that time, AL has it... Because an NL team wins the WS doesn't mean the NL was better overall....
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #538 on: August 25, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »

PLEASE!

2000- Yankees, A.L.
2001- Diamondbacks, N.L.
2002- Angels, A.L.
2003- Marlins, N.L.
2004- Red Sox, A.L.
2005- White Sox, A.L.
2006- Cardinals, N.L.
2007- Red Sox, A.L.
2008- Phillies, N.L.

Seems pretty even to me.

You're right in that sense(Although AL is up 1 lol), but i'm sure if you look @ win % and standings during that time, AL has it... Because an NL team wins the WS doesn't mean the NL was better overall....

Yeah, but no one will remember the Interleague games better than a World Series.

Wink
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #539 on: August 25, 2009, 09:46:31 PM »

The AL has a substantial lead in interleague games (which has ran it's course for me personally, yawn..) since it's inception - no denying that even for a Senior Circuit guy like myself..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: