Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 12:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 292679 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #500 on: August 11, 2009, 06:55:17 PM »

The thing about baseball isn't necessarily who has the best team, it is who gets hot at the right time.

Playoff baseball literally always comes down to pitchng, - a couple of hot starters and a lockdown closer can get you through a seven game series..

Lincecum/Cain, Carpenter/Wainwright are 2 Senior Circuit examples - pure nasty..

If you want the "best team", easy enough...

All series played without days off, only 1 travel day between Divisional and LCS pairings, eliminates the scenario above by testing depths of pitching staffs.  If one team sweeps and waits on their next round foe, so be it - time off earned so align the Number 1 and 2
as needed..

I know it'll never happen, makes too much sense..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #501 on: August 12, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »

We Beleve in baseball in October lol

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #502 on: August 13, 2009, 04:00:41 AM »

Maybe being a lifelong Brave fan has my views warped.

We won the division something like 13 straight times or something and won 1 World Series.

On one hand u can say that was successful......... I tend to say it is a letdown

Greg Maddux one of the greatest regular season pitchers of all time but sucked in the postseason.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #503 on: August 13, 2009, 06:35:38 AM »

Great game yesterday, from an outcome perspective.  Yanks win in ANOTHER walk off game, thanks to Cano (I GOT TO SEE PIE!!).

Great game from a "watching" perspective.  Seats in Right field (about 15 to 20 feet on the fair side of the foul pole, 2nd row) were the best I've been in, in either stadium.  We had home runs raining down on us.  Our section was literally a stairs climb from the bathrooms, cheep (relatively) beer, and the Cheesesteak place (which, granted, isn't Gino's...but they're decent).  Had good "company" surrounding us.  Couple dads with their sons, another group who had left thier kids with the grandparents (which is exactly what my wife and I had done).  Nice day.

Sloppy game from a baseball perspective.  Yanks were falling back WAY too much on the long ball, early and late (though the last runs were FINALLY "basepath" baseball).  Defense was a bit sloppy up the middle from both Toronto and the Yanks (though I can forgive Pena a little given the circumstances).  Watching our two best players get drilled in potentially injury inducing areas was NOT fun, and NOT cool.  When A-rod got drilled, the energy in the stadium changed very quickly.....the Yanks fans got pissed off. 

And this may have the biggest effect:
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090812&content_id=6386832&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:39:36 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #504 on: August 13, 2009, 09:45:53 AM »

Speaking of Cheesteaks.  I went to Philly a few months back when the Red Sox were in town and went to "Pat's" and I've got to say, I wasn't all that impressed.  With all they hype, maybe my expectations were too high.  But I had to stand in this riciculously long line and order the correct way like in the "Soup Nazi".  I mean it was good, but I got one inside the stadium later that weekend and thought that one was MUCH better.  I think the one in the stadium is Gino's?  And I went to Yankee Stadium a few weeks ago and got one there and thought that one was MUCH better.

What's the deal any of you Philly residents?  Give me some insight.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #505 on: August 13, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »

Speaking of Cheesteaks.  I went to Philly a few months back when the Red Sox were in town and went to "Pat's" and I've got to say, I wasn't all that impressed.  With all they hype, maybe my expectations were too high.  But I had to stand in this riciculously long line and order the correct way like in the "Soup Nazi".  I mean it was good, but I got one inside the stadium later that weekend and thought that one was MUCH better.  I think the one in the stadium is Gino's?  And I went to Yankee Stadium a few weeks ago and got one there and thought that one was MUCH better.

What's the deal any of you Philly residents?  Give me some insight.

I agree on Pat's.  It must be a matter of taste.  I've tried both...but prefer Geno's by a HUGE margin.  I think Citizen's Bank has both a Geno's and a Tony Luke's...both in the Alley.  That park is on my "baseball bucket list".....

The Carl's steaks at Yankee stadium are good, too...I agree.  I still prefer Geno's, but the Carl's steaks are as close as I've had anywhere.

The Lobell's prime steak sandwiches (NOT a cheesesteak) are quite good, too. 

Together again,
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #506 on: August 13, 2009, 10:39:28 AM »

I  know where you guys are coming from, kinda....

Anchor Bar in Buffalo is credited with the first Chicken Wing.... Now dont get me wrong they are good there, but I could pick 15 different places around that have better wings... Yet I always her how Anchor has the best hihi
sandman
Legend

« Reply #507 on: August 13, 2009, 11:25:32 AM »

i like Pat's and that is the most famous. Geno's is FAR better in my opinion. they are both the "must-try" tourist traps, and they pride themselves on having plenty of 'tude and demanding proper ordering technique. "prov wit" is much quicker than having some drunk blonde in front of you order a "steak on a roll. and what kind of cheese do you have? and can i get that with onions?"   

but the best is Tony Luke's. it's funny, i am on my way there now to pick up 10 cheesesteaks for my co-workers working here in philly (several out-of-towners, some about to try their first authentic cheesesteak).

yeah, Geno's and Tony Luke's are both in the stadium. neither are as good as the original locations though. still great.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #508 on: August 13, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »

i like Pat's and that is the most famous. Geno's is FAR better in my opinion. they are both the "must-try" tourist traps, and they pride themselves on having plenty of 'tude and demanding proper ordering technique. "prov wit" is much quicker than having some drunk blonde in front of you order a "steak on a roll. and what kind of cheese do you have? and can i get that with onions?"   

but the best is Tony Luke's. it's funny, i am on my way there now to pick up 10 cheesesteaks for my co-workers working here in philly (several out-of-towners, some about to try their first authentic cheesesteak).

yeah, Geno's and Tony Luke's are both in the stadium. neither are as good as the original locations though. still great.

prov wit or whiz wit are my favs!

I've never had a Tony Luke's.  Gonna have to try next time I'm in Philly (prolly November/December, this year...unless the work "travel ban" continues).

Smiley

Together again,
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #509 on: August 13, 2009, 01:57:19 PM »

I hear the Lobell's sandwich is quickly becoming the signature food item at the new place.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #510 on: August 13, 2009, 02:50:35 PM »

prov wit or whiz wit are my favs!

I've never had a Tony Luke's.  Gonna have to try next time I'm in Philly (prolly November/December, this year...unless the work "travel ban" continues).

Smiley

TL's is well worth checking out - everyone i work with loved their sandwiches!

another great one is Steve's Prince of Steaks. incredible steak but not as well known because they do not have any locations downtown or near the stadiums (they have 2 spots in NE Philly).

the food options in philly are unreal. no matter what you're lookig for, there is something that is first class. i'm obviously biased, but philly is a great town. just about everyone i know that spends time here starts to fall in love with the city.

here's a great review of cheesesteaks that was done by a local sports radio talk show host. http://www.610wip.com/pages/351421.php

the Phillies ballpark is well worth checking out too. they did a real nice job with it. very few complaints from the "hard to satisfy" philly fans. and it's only about a 3.5 hour drive from Hartford (obviously with no traffic).

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #511 on: August 13, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »

I hear the Lobell's sandwich is quickly becoming the signature food item at the new place.

We get to the stadium about 3 hours before gametime, and eat our "meal" about an hour and a half before.  The lines at Lobell's have already started by then.  By game time, and throughout the game, there is ALWAYS a good sized line.

Carl's has a line, too...but not as long. 

I'm not sure if it's efficiency or popularity..but I suspect it's popularity, mostly.

Together again,
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #512 on: August 13, 2009, 04:10:12 PM »

We get to the stadium about 3 hours before gametime, and eat our "meal" about an hour and a half before.  The lines at Lobell's have already started by then.  By game time, and throughout the game, there is ALWAYS a good sized line.

I'm not sure if it's efficiency or popularity..but I suspect it's popularity, mostly.

Do they still have the little window where you can watch the butcher carve the prime cut of beef?
fear the juggalo 2
Rocker

« Reply #513 on: August 13, 2009, 04:42:33 PM »

i hate to say this, but dodger dogs are so over rated. the hot dogs at am/pm gas station are better. i love the dodgers, but there food at the stadium sucks. now the old boston garden had some good hot dogs.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #514 on: August 13, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »

Yes it is, problem with that is that EVERYONE knows about it and there is about a 30/40 min. wait whenever you want one. I just waited 40 min. the other night for one. Got back to my seat and my girlfriend asked, "IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE THAT RARE??!!?!"  She obviously doesn't like rare/medium rare steak. It was however, very good.

Do they still have the little window where you can watch the butcher carve the prime cut of beef?

Yes, but when they carve up so much and let it cook, then run out -- customers are pissed. Which was part of the reason why we had to wait so long but it was a little annoying seeing huge windows full of uncooked steak sit there while we waited for it.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #515 on: August 13, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »

cliff lee's 3rd start with the phils looked like this...

IP     H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR   PC-ST      ERA
C Lee (W, 3-0)  8.0   6   1   1    3    8    0    122-82    1.12

Lee is 3-0 with a 1.13 ERA in three starts for the Phillies.

and ben francisco (the other part of the trade) hit the winning HR in the 12th tuesday night. 

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #516 on: August 13, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »

cliff lee's 3rd start with the phils looked like this...

IP     H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR   PC-ST      ERA
C Lee (W, 3-0)  8.0   6   1   1    3    8    0    122-82    1.12

Lee is 3-0 with a 1.13 ERA in three starts for the Phillies.

and ben francisco (the other part of the trade) hit the winning HR in the 12th tuesday night. 

Anyone else think he is going to be this years version of C.C.? Absolutely dominate down the stretch?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #517 on: August 13, 2009, 07:49:42 PM »

Anyone else think he is going to be this years version of C.C.? Absolutely dominate down the stretch?

He doesn't have the dominant "stuff" CC had/has but could very well go on the same type run the way the Phils score runs.. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #518 on: August 14, 2009, 06:16:00 AM »

Yup.  I remember that first exhibition game vs the Cubs...the crowd around that window was almost as long as the line to get food.  I don't get the fascination, though.

It's lost SOME of it's novelty, though.  Much less crowded around the window (but just as crowded around the stand selling) this last trip.

Together again,
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #519 on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:31 AM »

Overall another good weekend for the yanks vs the red sux!!

Well excepts for Burnett's abortion, hope he can fix that shit
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: