Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:16:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 292619 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #460 on: August 08, 2009, 01:05:51 AM »

Talk about a-rod not being clutch... 2 run shot in the bottom the 15th of a 0-0 game...

He's on his way Yankee haters!

seriously ... if A-Rod did that in a World Series game, it would be considered "clutch" ... not saying this wasn't great, just saying it doesn't change my opinion of A-Rod when a money game is on the line.

A.J.'s pitching .... NOW THAT WAS CLUTCH!!! headbanger
which was my original argument when I said "Halladay for A-Rod"  because the Yankees starting pitching needs to be able to do exactly this more consistently!!!

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #461 on: August 08, 2009, 01:06:35 AM »

He seemed pretty clutch in the 15th inning tonight to me!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #462 on: August 08, 2009, 01:09:37 AM »

Talk about a-rod not being clutch... 2 run shot in the bottom the 15th of a 0-0 game...

seriously ... if A-Rod did that in a World Series game, it would be considered "clutch" ... not saying this wasn't great, just saying it doesn't change my opinion of A-Rod when a money game is on the line.

which was my original argument when I said "Halladay for A-Rod"  because the Yankees starting pitching needs to be able to do exactly this more consistently!!!

Burnett was definitely clutch. He deserved a W tonight so bad. Its too bad he didn't factor in the decision cause he pitched his ass off. You'd like to see less walks but you can't ask for much better than 7 2/3 of one hit ball.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #463 on: August 08, 2009, 02:28:00 AM »

Im a big White Sox fan but the South side isnt looking good right now getting beat by the Indins fuck what happened???

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #464 on: August 09, 2009, 10:37:36 PM »

anyone notice how D has disappeared since the A-Rod clutch HR the other night, as well as the one tonight?
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #465 on: August 09, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »

Awesome pitching by Andy!!!  Cool

When the starters keep the team in the game, you know more often than not, the Yankees bats are gonna explode ... and it makes it more likely that they'll pick up those little hiccups like Coke had.  ok

gotta love  a great pitched game

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #466 on: August 09, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »

I posted this in the baseball thread but it might have got lost in there.  I think this story/video is funny enough to get some exposure in its own thread.  But I'll let you be the judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIqrGsSBob0           

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/rate-this-george-brett-shit-his-pants-remix/

Edit -

Alright I guess the judge has spoken.  I guess we'll give it a take 2 with the George Brett sh*tting his pants story in this thread.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:29:19 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #467 on: August 10, 2009, 12:45:53 AM »

I posted this in the baseball thread but it might have got lost in there.  I think this story/video is funny enough to get some exposure in its own thread.  But I'll let you be the judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIqrGsSBob0           

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/rate-this-george-brett-shit-his-pants-remix/

Edit -

Alright I guess the judge has spoken.  I guess we'll give it a take 2 with the George Brett sh*tting his pants story in this thread.

Everything gets "merged."

And then people wonder why the board is dead.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #468 on: August 10, 2009, 03:38:10 AM »

Awesome pitching by Andy!!!  Cool

When the starters keep the team in the game, you know more often than not, the Yankees bats are gonna explode ... and it makes it more likely that they'll pick up those little hiccups like Coke had.  ok

gotta love  a great pitched game

This team has since mid june become scary good. Their starting pitching and bullpen has been fantastic and they've been getting timely and clutch hitting. You never feel the game is over with if they get behind. They just don't give up at all. When they went down 2-1 tonight i never felt it was over and i was right. This is a team i would not wanna face in the playoffs. If they pitch and hit like this come october watch out.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #469 on: August 10, 2009, 03:53:56 AM »

anyone notice how D has disappeared since the A-Rod clutch HR the other night, as well as the one tonight?

Oh what the fuck ever

I am out of town if u m ust know and haven't had much internet access

when  did i ever say A Rod wasn't a great regular season player?

He sucks and is a choke artist in the postseason

if he leads the Yanks to a world series, I will give him credit

till then he comes up small for them

1hr 1 rbi 159 in his last 3 postseasons.
A Rod is great in the regular season. but the Yanks aren't paying him 30 million a year to make the playoffs, they are paying to win a world series.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #470 on: August 10, 2009, 07:28:03 AM »

How was that not a "money game"??

But then you set it up perfectly:  AJ was clutch, A-rod wasn't...both performances in the same game. 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #471 on: August 10, 2009, 07:35:38 AM »

You're using A-Rod's Seattle numbers to justify his Yankee failures?  No one will judge him as a Mariner, you're just using his average there in the playoffs to bump up his career postseason average.  What a shady tactic.

His career is his career.  It ALL counts.  And, as is plainly obvious, I broke out all pertinent sections.

You're going to blame the insects for the Yankees complete failure in 2007?  Cool dude, I'll blame the smog for the Dodgers meltdown in the NLCS last year.

Might want to read what I wrote, instead of reading INTO it.  I asked a question.  "What epic collapse"?, and then postulated what you might be talking about.  Honestly, I thought maybe you were confused and thought I was talking about 2004.  In addition to that, it's not really relevant to the discussion, anyway.  What was relevant were A-rods stats...his most recent performance in the playoffs. I mean, you can't possibly try to lay the "collapse" (Huh?) at his feet in 2007.  Nice try at deflection, though.

When you have no more useless "evidence" to back up A-Rod, you go on to say we don't "get it."  That's fine with me, I won't consume my time with meaningless, yes, MEANINGLESS numbers that help cope with the losing.  You can "pump your chest" and rip out your hair all you want, but LIPS and PECOTA don't really mean anything to me or to most baseball fans.  THAT right there is what I think is fluff.  Don't think you're something special just because you use sabermetrics to judge someones impact on the game.

Nice spin job by the way.  I didn't imply that REASONABLE stats were useless, I said that YOUR computer whiz kid stats were pretty useless, especially when you use them to justify Choke-Rod's paltry postseason numbers.

Again, bury your head because the numbers don't lead you to the emotional conclusion you want.  Fair enough.  Discount the numbers because you don't like them or don't understand them.  Fair enough.   But then why even try to carry on when all you're delivering is bluster and chest thumping.  I don't get it?  How many times and ways do you feel the need to say "I don't like A-rod no matter what the numbers and history actually say!!"...without actually just saying it?

Just because "they don't mean anything to you" doesn't mean they don't mean anything.  They're still a representation of what has actually occured.  Like it or not.  It's like saying calculus doesn't mean anything to you.  No matter what you say, you're never, ever going to get past that.

Have fun at the place across the street from the Real Yankee Stadium.  Pay your respects to the grand cathedral of the game on your way there.

Felt like Yankee Stadium to me on BOTH nights. Place was ROCKING!  A-rod was clutch (big time) last night.  Felt almost like kismet.   

Anyway, I'm done.  I've got nothing more to add...I'm riding high from this weekend's games, and I think they add a nice exclamation point.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 07:56:25 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #472 on: August 10, 2009, 07:42:58 AM »

Two of the best regular season games I've seen, live.  The crowd was ELECTRIC for both games and the place was ROCKING.  Man, if that's the feel we'll get going into the playoffs...YOWZA!  I'm BEAT, though....and completely emotionally drained. 

Going back on Wednesday for the day game against Toronto.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #473 on: August 10, 2009, 07:48:41 AM »

So...was it Boston Massacre III?  Boston Massacre '09?  What do you think?

I'm leaning toward yes, but I'm not sure I'd go that far.

Here's the case FOR:
25-8 score for the series.  31 consecutive scoreless innings for the Sox.  2 runs in a 33 inning stretch.  The Sox NEVER ended an inning in the lead (1/2 innings, yes..but not by the end of the inning).  And. most important, the series gives the Yanks a decent 6.5 game lead, and drops the Sox into a tie for the wildcard.

Case against: 

2 of the games were VERY close until late.  The classic on Friday night was close until morning (and was even close, then...it was just over).  It's sorta tough to call it a "massacre" because the outcomes of those games weren't exactly set in stone.

What's the concensus?

Together again,
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #474 on: August 10, 2009, 08:19:32 AM »

What's the concensus?

My consensus is A-Rod had some pretty clutch hits hihi
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #475 on: August 10, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »

What's the concensus?

My consensus is A-Rod had some pretty clutch hits hihi

That works for me and that the sox are in a whole lot of trouble. They've NEVER come back this far back from the yankees to win the division and with the yankees regularly winning 7, 8, 9 in a row its gonna be hard for boston to come back.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #476 on: August 10, 2009, 08:45:09 AM »

That works for me and that the sox are in a whole lot of trouble. They've NEVER come back this far back from the yankees to win the division and with the yankees regularly winning 7, 8, 9 in a row its gonna be hard for boston to come back.

IF the Yanks were to go 25-26 the rest of the way (and I think they'll do considerably better than that)...the Sox would need to go 32-20, or play .615 baseball over the next 52 games, to TIE for the division lead.

The fat lady certainly ain't singing, yet...but she's tuning up. The Yanks add 2 or 3 more games to their lead...or hold this lead for 10 - 12 games...and the Sox are looking at climbing Everest to get back into this thing.

And right NOW, the Sox gotta keep an eye on Texas and TB.  This morning, they're not even all alone in the Wild Card lead.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:49:12 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #477 on: August 10, 2009, 08:50:56 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised it the Sox lost 3 of 4 in the series, I'd hope they could win at least the Beckett or Lester game.  The only thing that would really surprise me would be a sweep on either side.

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise.

Smiley

I didn't think there was any way I'd be waking up (bleary eyed) on Monday morning with the results we got.

Together again,
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #478 on: August 10, 2009, 08:51:16 AM »

Yeah the season is far from over, but the Yankees could not ask to be in a better spot right now..

Last year at this time they absolutely folded, after their bad start... Add a guy like (my new favorite player) Mark Teixeira to boost the line up and this is what you get!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #479 on: August 10, 2009, 10:47:37 AM »

Yeah the season is far from over, but the Yankees could not ask to be in a better spot right now..

Last year at this time they absolutely folded, after their bad start... Add a guy like (my new favorite player) Mark Teixeira to boost the line up and this is what you get!

The injuries REALLY got to them last year.  In 2008, this was right around when we had the last set of really bad ones...they just gutted uthe Yanks completely.  I think, at that point, with the arms they had in the rotation and pen and the injuries they'd suffered, those that were left were just demoralized beyond recovery.  They just didn't believe in themselves (and, likely, with good reason the way TB and Boston were playing) and they closed up shop (metaphorically speaking) and shut it down.

I'm liking Tex, too.  He hasn't supplanted DJ, Mo, or Jorge quite yet...but he's creeping up there.

I'm also partial to Melky...my kids love him and he's been nice to me TWICE during BP and gifted me a ball.  We've taken to calling him "The Rally Master" this year....after calling him "The Rally Killer" last year. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:51:48 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: