Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:13:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 292365 times)
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2009, 05:08:17 AM »

It's only his first year as a starter. He had a good night tonight -  3 hits, 1 ER, 8 Ks and 1 BB in 6 2/3 innings against Detroit.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »

Anyone still following baseball?

Yeah, following.  Going to another Yanks game in August.

So far, Boston and NY are basically ruling the AL, which isn't all that surprising, I guess.  There's been, IMHO, very little overall "drama" to the season.   Not much to talk about...

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #302 on: July 20, 2009, 10:24:51 AM »

Joba...nothing special.  All hype, no game.

For a 1st year starter, his numbers are REALLY good, actually.  Historically speaking, the only stat that lags is innings pitched. 

I don't think the problem is "hype", exactly.  It's that there are/were some pretty unrealistic expectation.  The guy was not going to be a Cy Young candidate his first season starting in the majors....and it seems like that's what everyone was expecting.  Remember, typically a pitcher peaks in his late 20's..after a few seasons of MLB experience.  There is a learning curve involved...and I'll take 5-2 from my rookie 5th starter any 1/2 season you want. 

He may be great, he may not.  It's WAY too early to tell.  But he's certainly a solid 5 in our rotation....better than most 5's, that's for sure.

Together again,
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »

Yep! The whole forum has been dead lately (Wrestling forum too...).

Going to my first Yankee game tomorrow night, then my second one the next day for the day game!

Can't Wait.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2009, 11:01:17 PM »

Going to my first Yankee game tomorrow night, then my second one the next day for the day game!

Can't Wait.
I'll be making my first trip to the new Yankee Stadium on Wednesday for the day game.  I'll probably opt to not wear any Red Sox gear, as the last time I did that I got peanuts thrown at me.  Of course they are playing the Orioles, so that'd probably be asking for it even more.  Plus the Yanks may be alone in first place by then so it just wouldn't be a good idea.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #305 on: July 21, 2009, 05:05:38 AM »

Can't Wait.
I'll be making my first trip to the new Yankee Stadium on Wednesday for the day game.  I'll probably opt to not wear any Red Sox gear, as the last time I did that I got peanuts thrown at me.  Of course they are playing the Orioles, so that'd probably be asking for it even more.  Plus the Yanks may be alone in first place by then so it just wouldn't be a good idea.

Yeah, probably not a good idea. They really are on fire tied for first now after winning 17 of 22. The only real blip is that sweep against the Angels. They seem to own our asses no matter what.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #306 on: July 21, 2009, 07:29:45 AM »

Yeah, probably not a good idea. They really are on fire tied for first now after winning 17 of 22. The only real blip is that sweep against the Angels. They seem to own our asses no matter what.

Scioscia has created the exact type of team that gives the Yanks FITS.  They're patient at the plate, they play small ball REALLY well, and they play solid, relatively error free baseball.   That's the Angels, every year.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #307 on: July 21, 2009, 09:31:31 AM »

The thing that's surprised me the most of the Yanks recent success is it's been their pitching that has carried them for the most part.  Their offense has come through when needed, but the pitching has been keeping them in and winning a lot of games for them.  Something I wouldn't have expected to happen for an extended period.

The Sox offense has gone flat recently.  They've faced some good pitching, which has enhanced their offensive troubles.  They could really use another bat, the problem is they'd probably have to trade a starter to make room for that bat.  I don't trust Mike Lowell can stay healthy the rest of the way and if you take his bat out of the lineup, it's even weaker.  If they could somehow get a guy who could platoon with Lowell to give him some needed rest and possibly be able to play 1B/3B/OF.  I was watching a bit of the Yanks last night and thought maybe Aubrey Huff could be a fit, but I think they'd be better off getting a righty as opposed to a lefty.  They could also use a lefty for the bullpen, they have ZERO right now.  Their bullpen has been great for the most part but recently have hit a little bump.  Masterson is struggling big time, a lefty could help solidify things.  Just over a week till the trading deadline, so we'll see.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #308 on: July 21, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »

The Angels...they will gracefully bow out in the LDS again.  They win a lot of games, but they do not impress me, or have me quaking in my boots.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #309 on: July 21, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »

Scioscia has created the exact type of team that gives the Yanks FITS.  They're patient at the plate, they play small ball REALLY well, and they play solid, relatively error free baseball.   That's the Angels, every year.

We played really bad in that series too though. Our pitching was atrocious starting and relief. We scored more than enough runs to win all three games but we couldn't stop them from scoring.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #310 on: July 22, 2009, 12:37:46 AM »

Stadium was great today. Had seats under the overhang so just hung out there all day during the rain.
Met Jeremy Guthrie, Mark Hendrickson, and Alfredo Aceves during BP, all really really nice guys.
Going tomorrow, same spots. Can't wait to see Burnett!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #311 on: July 22, 2009, 03:36:16 AM »

ahhh 1st place Yankees...its about fucking time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #312 on: July 22, 2009, 07:07:24 AM »

Stadium was great today. Had seats under the overhang so just hung out there all day during the rain.
Met Jeremy Guthrie, Mark Hendrickson, and Alfredo Aceves during BP, all really really nice guys.
Going tomorrow, same spots. Can't wait to see Burnett!

I'll be out there August 12th, the next time.

Wednesday, day game.  2nd row, RIGHT behind the Sony sign in Right field, by the foul pole.

I really like the new digs.  There are some "issues", but overall I'm happy with the place.

Together again,
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #313 on: July 22, 2009, 06:49:39 PM »

Game today was great again. Met a couple nice security guys, let us sit right on the field on the left field line in the famous 'Jeter Corner' where he would have dove into the stands. Right next to the empty Legend seat spots or whatever. Brad Bergesen and Jeremy Guthrie of the Orioles are seriously the nicest guys ever. Guthrie went up and down the line signing autographs for everyone. He signed Yankee hats, balls, programs, arms, anything! He came over and was chatting and asked me 'How does it feel to love a team full of steroid abusers?' and everyone was taken aback but I could tell he was joking. I then replied with a "How does it feel to throw a 98mph heater that gets hit out at 108mph by ARod on his first pitch back". He started laughing and shook my hand and cracked up. Dave Trembley then came over and told him to get his ass moving cause he had to go throw a bullpen. Trembley sat and chatted to us for awhile -- really nice guy.

Overall, my two-day Yankee Stadium trip was a blast. Highly recommended to anyone in the NY-Tristate area.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #314 on: July 22, 2009, 06:57:06 PM »

Yeah, the only time Yankee fans come out of the woodwork.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #315 on: July 22, 2009, 07:09:45 PM »

Scary part is, Boston are like 8-0 against the Yankees right?

so that is 8 games they are up on NY but still trail by 1

if NY could've just won a few of those, they'd have a comfortable lead.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #316 on: July 23, 2009, 01:30:37 AM »

Scary part is, Boston are like 8-0 against the Yankees right?

so that is 8 games they are up on NY but still trail by 1

if NY could've just won a few of those, they'd have a comfortable lead.

Yeah boston has owned us so far this year. I think that would change if they played us right now with the way we're pitching and hitting.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #317 on: July 23, 2009, 02:55:11 AM »

Yeah, the only time Yankee fans come out of the woodwork.

You got that right.  Especially around here, it is as though baseball season just started yesterday.   I only half ass follow baseball until  August/September. So its a great time for them to get into first place.  ok
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:00:47 AM by Bodhi » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #318 on: July 24, 2009, 07:51:39 AM »

MLB saw a perfect game, yesterday.

Wow!! Congrats to Buehrle, the CWS, and WTG Wise on that catch!!

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #319 on: July 24, 2009, 06:25:08 PM »

Thanks to MLB Network, I was able to catch the final three innings.

My first perfect game ever!  Didn't catch Johnson's PG from a few years ago.

Lastly, I'm not into Asians or anything, but that Hazel Mae is fucking asking for it.  drool
Hazel Mae I?  She was the Sox in studio analyst for a few years till she left for the MLB network.  She has quite the rack on her, might I say.  Since she departed though the Sox picked up this chick Heidi Whatney who's drop dead gorgeous.  She was a former Miss California contestant.  She used to work for the Padres but got canned after some controversy and the big rumor last year was Jason Varitek was banging her while going through his divorce, which added to the god awful season he had.  But it was never proven, and she's still employed by NESN so I assume the rumor was false.  She's hot though, there's no denying that.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: